Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 11-12-2007, 09:05 AM

Default Not sure if this belongs here but...

I have an optics question. Well actually several. First off I will say that I was one of the idoits who purchased a rem 710 couple years back. Was tired of borrowing grandpa's gun but money was short. Thought that was a good idea at the time. Nonetheless I am trying to decide if it makes sense to up-grade the scope on that rifle. The scope on it is poor at best low light conditions are horrible and it is having trouble holding zero. I have thought about putting a bushnell elite 3200 3-9-40mm on. To tell you the truth I'm not sure how I feel putting a $300 plus scope on a gun that probably ain't worth that.
Secondly how do yall feel about Burris? I have one buddy that has the fullfield II?? I think. Anyways he seems to like it. I have looked at leupold as well but hit the same "road bump" Not sure if it's worth putting on a scope that's worth more than the gun.
Chime in guys share your thoughts. Please.
Old 11-12-2007, 09:10 AM
s_buffalo

Get the best glass you can afford. When you get your new gun (eventually!) then you'll already have good glass to put on it.

Stinky B.
Old 11-12-2007, 09:14 AM
sheephunter

You sure won't be sorry with the Elite. I've had several Burris scopes and they have all be good except for one where the crosshairs actually rotated inside the tube. The Canadian rep would do absolutely nothing for me about it and shipping back to the U.S. is a real hassle. I haven't owned another one since but with that said, I think overall they are good optics too.
Old 11-12-2007, 09:30 AM

The Elite 3200 is a good glass but the 4200 is better. Even better is the Zeiss Victory but it's rather expensive. Nonetheless, as Stinky B. stated, you can always move the glass to your new (better) rifle in the future.

Bobby B.
Old 11-12-2007, 09:53 AM
stubblejumper

The elite 3200 is a great scope for the price,and as others have posted,it can easily be transfered if you buy a new rifle.
Old 11-12-2007, 09:53 AM
s_buffalo

I agree with Bobby B., the 3200 and the 4200 are great scopes for the money. I have a 3200 and my hunting partner has the 4200. We're quite happy with them.
Old 11-12-2007, 11:53 AM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by s_buffalo View Post
Get the best glass you can afford. When you get your new gun (eventually!) then you'll already have good glass to put on it.

Stinky B.
I vote with stinky and add Leupold never had to send any back in 25 years first one still perfect on my 06 after 25 years
Old 11-12-2007, 03:22 PM

Default Nikon?

Thanks all for your input. One more question how do yall feel about Nikon? Another buddy I hunt with has a Prostaff he likes. Just looking at all my options.

Thanks again,
Trevor
Old 11-12-2007, 04:12 PM

My 2 cents! I am not a big fan of the 710, however as everyone else has said, buy a really good scope, like the 3200 or 4200, use it with your 710, until you can buy another gun. My uncle has the burris fullfield II and loves it. I personally do not like the redness of the lense. For the money you can not beat the elites!!! I have a cheap Nef 25-06 and I am looking to put a 3200 or 4200 on it. I have a Millett buck gold 4-16x56mm on for now. (Heavy! 2 lbs) So as far as cheap guns go, I can not talk too much!! hehe. I am saving up for the T/C Pro Hunter. (I prefer single actions) I have heard that the grand slam's from Weaver are good as well.
Old 11-12-2007, 04:16 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdwarburton View Post
Thanks all for your input. One more question how do yall feel about Nikon? Another buddy I hunt with has a Prostaff he likes. Just looking at all my options.

Thanks again,
Trevor
Great scopes!
Old 11-12-2007, 05:09 PM

I've been using a nikon for 5yrs and love it!
Old 11-12-2007, 05:50 PM
lurch

Leupold.
Old 11-13-2007, 08:17 AM

With the price of good scopes nowadays you might as well buy the best.

If you are considering spending $300 - $500 on a scope you should suck it up and buy a Swarovski. You can get the 1" versions for around $750 from dealers and better deals if you get lucky. Buy one of those $5 used gun newspapers from the States. Go through it and circle all of the guys adds that have a certified dealership logo. Use a telephone.....old school....still works well. Call as many as you want to. Some will ship to Canada, some won't. If you know someone in the States it becomes unbelievably easy.

The above steps are due to a company named Kindermann.

Quite smoking for a month, cut back on booze, "accidentally" forget her birthday to save the price of a present, whatever it takes. You will not be disapointed.

The only problem with looking through this glass is that now you've got to get a spotting scope and binos as well.

It is an addicting habit that we all have.....and like all addictions....it costs.

tm
Old 11-13-2007, 08:19 AM

Quit for a month...not quite....subliminal message attempt

tm
Old 11-14-2007, 02:37 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Some will ship to Canada, some won't.
As it's illegal, without a mountain of paperwork, to ship scopes from the U.S. to Canada, I doubt you'll find a dealer that will do it. If they do, they are breaking federal law in the U.S.
Old 11-14-2007, 02:52 PM

Thats odd as you can get them shipped from US dealers on ebay.
Old 11-14-2007, 02:57 PM
sheephunter

There's lots of scopes being shipped off of e-bay but it does make it any less illegal. I suspect the average U.S. citizen doesn't even know about the law but any reputable dealer does and that's why they won't ship up here.
Old 11-14-2007, 03:19 PM

Sheep,

I called 6 different certified dealers. 2 had no problems shipping to Canada. It was hand delivered to my house in less than a week for $758.

My line to them was that I was calling 6 dealers and the one that gave me the lowest price would get the sale. Saved myself a whole 6 bucks

My dealer in town SHOWED me his cost on the scope at the time...$1400 on the nose. Retail in Canada at the time was a little under $1800. His last words were if that if I could get it for that price he'd forgive me

I recieved a brand new Swarovski 1", 4x-12x, tds-4. On a side note, this is the original run of 1" scopes by Swarovski and I was offered a brand new scope (albeit with a tds-plex) plus $500 by the lady at Swarovski that I spoke to for this scope back. A little in demand at the time.

My scope came from a custom gun dealer. He has sent many rifles and scopes to Canada prior to this. If he had a special arrangement or a streamlined process I was not aware of it. Regardless.....LESS THAN A WEEK!! and saved over $1000 on the identical product that was less than $2000 to begin with....it's criminal....I'll never buy here again until they get companies like Kindermann to stop praying on my overly taxed dollars.........that goes for bombardier as well

Kinda makes me wonder if these companies should start their own forum and argue laws and ethics like we all do here. Ohhh to be a fly on the wall.....or troll.

Respectfully,

tm
Old 11-14-2007, 03:22 PM
sheephunter

Ya, I have heard there are a couple dealers down there that can get scopes up here (possibly under the radar or possibly they have streamlined the process) but for the most part those that ship scopes up here are doing it illegally and possibly just don't know the laws. It's an assine law but it's a federal law with some heavy penalties for those convicted..