Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-29-2010, 10:17 AM

Default How much can I expect to spend on a lift/rims/tires for my truck?

Looking at getting my Ford F150 lifted a bit with bigger tires and different rims. WHat am I looking at for a ballpark cost for all this? I know it will depend on what I get but if you guys could give me some advice/direction that would be great. Also where is a good place to get this done? I live in Coleman. Thanks guys.
Old 10-29-2010, 10:28 AM

The sky is the limit really. Tires will run around $200-250 a piece for good 4x4 tires. Rims will probably be around the same. I've never lifted a truck so I couldn't guess what that will run you. Really depends on what you want. You can go the cheap route and by Chinese rims, etc and break your truck when your out, or you could spend some money on quality stuff. I'd hazard a guess that you'll spend close to $4,000 easy if you buy quality stuff.

Don't argue with a fool, he'll bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Life Member of:
Wild Sheep Foundation Alberta
Wild Sheep Foundation
NRA

Old 10-29-2010, 10:43 AM

count on a thousand a inch for your lift, the tires i have on my jeep are $500 a piece the rims were $300 all depends what you want to get done and how well you want it to work
Old 10-29-2010, 11:01 AM

How tall do you want to go would be the first question answered and then how big of a tire do you want to run on the truck.

If you want to be just little bigger, cutting the body a bit and putting some Bushwacker flares will give you room for bigger tires without changing the suspension.

If you want to go just a little bigger than that without breaking the bank, Daystar has "budget boost" that would probably do the trick.

Tires / Rims are the hardest to price-out. I spent about $1500 on some BFG AllTerrain tires in the 32" tall range. What kind of tires and size are you looking for ... 'cause they can get quite costly, into the $1000 per tire range for some "massive" sizes.

More specific info would really be needed to help you better, eh?
Old 10-29-2010, 11:08 AM

The sky is the limit!! I have lifted every truck I have ever owned. My brother is a licensed mechanic and owns his own shop in St.Albert. The key as far as I see it is good shocks, spend the money on quality shocks. Rize builds a nice kit but they are pricey. Same for tires, Toyo Open Country are a good mid level tire, I have had them on a couple, Mickey Thompson tires are good but more money, depends what you want to do. Do some research and I can get you some pricing, my brother deals with all the offroad suppliers and I can maybe save you a few bucks. It comes down to personal choice for the most part. Send me a PM if you want any more info.
Old 10-29-2010, 11:39 AM

Here is one 4 sale locally,depending on what year your truck is...

http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehi...AdIdZ236808477

Let me know if I can assist,I could check it out for you?

MS

The only difference between a taxidermist and the taxman, is that the taxidermist leaves the skin...
Old 10-29-2010, 11:55 AM

What year is the truck? I am askin just because I have an 01 F150 that I wanted to add a Front End leveling kit to that would allow me to put up to 33's without changing any other suspension component, ( i've had friends fit 35's under but they rubbed when you turned). If you have an 04 or newer the leveling kits are much easier than the 97-03 torsion key's. Other than that like it has been said already. It all depends on how much money you are willing to spend. If you don't want to go to crazy, throw a leveling kit in, if you want to go real wild, add the whole lift.
Old 10-29-2010, 12:11 PM

I was thinking a decent lift but not too much. Maybe 4"??? This is my first time doing this so i have no idea really. Is there a website that allows you to build a truck with different lifts, rims and tires to see what it would look like? I can't seem to find one.
Old 10-29-2010, 12:32 PM

I have an 09 lifted f-150 ,

6 inch fabtech suspension lift $3200
18 inch rims $241 each
35 inch toyo open country m/t $388 per tire

096 truck.jpg
Old 10-29-2010, 01:33 PM

lots and lots
Old 10-29-2010, 01:41 PM

Sweet ride Mamba
Old 10-29-2010, 02:13 PM

Not bad for a Ford Mamba
Old 10-30-2010, 06:50 AM

I have an 05 F150 and I put a 3" leveling kit on mine and put on 35's and they don't rub, but I think the key to not rubbing with 35's is the stock rims, I had a 95 GMC 1500 with 35's that didn't rub with the torsion bars turned up with the Stock Rims.
The cost of the level kit i got from ebay was $240 shipped and I installed it myself which took about 4 hours or so, they tires i found on kijiji but was priceing out new ones and the cheapest i could get for 18" rims was $320 a tire i think.
Old 10-30-2010, 07:31 AM

Like others have said above it totally depends on what you want. I just recently levelled my dodge (September), and it cost me $270 for the lift and another $120 for longer shocks, even though stock shocks were supposed to work. I priced out body lifts (3") at about $500 but I wouldn't suggest them. As for rims and tires it all depends on size and how elaborate they are.

Again, this is pricing for a dodge pick-up, I still haven't got around to pricing out the level lift for my husbands F-150.

Note: I did the install myself... Shop rates will vary as well.
Old 10-30-2010, 05:23 PM

6" Procomp Lift
Helper springs in back
Bushwacker Flares
35x12.5x20 Dick Cepeks
Pro COmp Metal Mulisha

$7900..00 installed out the door
Old 10-30-2010, 05:37 PM

and don't forget to have the head lights adjusted after the lift
Old 10-30-2010, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reeves View Post
and don't forget to have the head lights adjusted after the lift
And check the torque of the bolts at a 1000kms after install sometimes bolts can come loose after initial install. And then later based on manufactures specs.

Lift kits can vary based on manufacture but one thing make sure you buy a reputable brand as some kits can be hard on front end parts based on there design. If your just wanting to install a little larger tires how large are you taking as sometimes a leveling kit can be enough, 31 ones should fit with out anyother mods and possible 33 but I would advice making sure you don't have any rubbing on brake lines and put a shim to stop wheels from turning full radias as when you turn sharp you will still rub on inside frame. As far as body kit you can pick up a 3" competition engineering body lift blocks for $100 with all the needed accessories to do the job. And they are not as bad if you do it properly I have used them in the past only things is if your not mechanical I would advice against them. Alot of work to install and sometimes there is a little bit of fabing to do inorder to make it work.
Old 10-30-2010, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadagrown View Post
Looking at getting my Ford F150 lifted a bit with bigger tires and different rims. WHat am I looking at for a ballpark cost for all this? I know it will depend on what I get but if you guys could give me some advice/direction that would be great. Also where is a good place to get this done? I live in Coleman. Thanks guys.
Its a waste of money..

You would be better spending your money on a skid plate package
Old 10-31-2010, 10:27 AM

I think Miller Performance in the pass might be able to help you. Seems you are close to Kalispel I would go there for tires and rims and save some $ that way. Find out want you like (tirerack.com has a huge selection) then start calling/ emailing to find distubutors in your area. Then order in and go get them.
This might help
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=72780
I have a 2010 F-150 and the model I got did not have skid plates and I am trying to find a source for them as well I will post if I find some thing but the deal was no help as they did not have a part # for me.
Old 10-31-2010, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownBear416 View Post
Its a waste of money..

You would be better spending your money on a skid plate package
if he was driving a chev like yourself (grocery go getter)

It all depends on what you wanna use your truck for .. for me I live in the back country so the lift is well worth it .. If its for looks well there is cheaper ways to beef it up !!
Old 10-31-2010, 04:34 PM

6" Fabtech Lift - 3500
35" BF Goodrich Mud Terrains + Rims - 3200

Old 10-31-2010, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadagrown View Post
I lifted my f-350, exhaust, intake, chip, and tires, probly the most money I've ever wasted. To do what you want will probly cost atleast $4000, and could easy snowball to $6000.

If you have $5000 disposable dollars, go to the arctic, shoot a musk ox, go to Texas get a deer, Florida for aligator. In thirty years you'll remember that more than some old truck with big tires.

In the end it's your money, your call. I am not against wasting money. I just wish I wasted mine differently.
Old 10-31-2010, 09:15 PM

I think lifts are a waste of money, sure some look good when done up but majority of them look stupid. I laugh when driving through Red Deer (or any other major center) and seeing the typical "little man syndrome" character driving his jacked up diesel that has never even seen gravel let alone mud cruising around in the middle of the day with their fog lights on and Tapout sticker in the window. I agree with Ditch Donkey, take your money and go on a hunt that you have dreamed about. Dealers don't give you any more on trade in and they don't seem to hold their value any better than a regular truck.
Old 10-31-2010, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07icanam View Post
I think lifts are a waste of money, sure some look good when done up but majority of them look stupid. I laugh when driving through Red Deer (or any other major center) and seeing the typical "little man syndrome" character driving his jacked up diesel that has never even seen gravel let alone mud cruising around in the middle of the day with their fog lights on and Tapout sticker in the window. I agree with Ditch Donkey, take your money and go on a hunt that you have dreamed about. Dealers don't give you any more on trade in and they don't seem to hold their value any better than a regular truck.
if i recall the question was how much would it cost not what are your opinions on lifted trucks
Old 11-01-2010, 12:46 AM

I guess my post was off topic and long winded but if I were you I would invest your money elsewhere. Like I posted previously, go on a hunt or something cool like that. It's not my money and you can do with it as you please but I learned that modding out your vehicle is a waste. I can drive newer trucks sooner just by saving the money I would have put into aftermarket stuff. If a lift is what you want, do it, there is a guy by Trochu that does lifts and does a great job.
Old 11-01-2010, 10:36 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackmamba View Post
if he was driving a chev like yourself (grocery go getter)

It all depends on what you wanna use your truck for .. for me I live in the back country so the lift is well worth it .. If its for looks well there is cheaper ways to beef it up !!
Saw your truck parked the other day Mamba...looks pretty nice.
Old 11-02-2010, 02:30 PM
Banned

3 pics of trucks lifted in this thread, and 2 of them appear to be done wrong. maybe its just the pic angle, but it looks like 2 sit higher in the front than the rear. i installed tons of the things when i was a mechanic and the best advice i can give you is one word......Rancho.
Old 11-02-2010, 04:21 PM

Default lifts

Hopefully you guys can clarify a story I was told the other day about lifted trucks. A fellow told me that he was with a well testing crew travelling from one location to the next when a younger fellow with a 6"lifted chevy diesel was caught at a speed trap doing 35 k over the limit. He landed himself a pretty large speeding ticket and proceeded to be lippy to the police officer that gave him the ticket. After getting the ticket the officer told him to wait in his truck because the DOT officer would be coming over for a visit. This young fellow was a little hot under the collar and was equally lippy to the DOT officer, an older gentelmen. The DOT officer asked the young guy for his keys, took them, and then asked him what garage he would like his truck towed to. The youg fellow asked him what the heck was he talking about. The officer told him that it would be towed to the garage of his choice(at his expense) and would not be driven until it was put back to the original factory condition. He told him that the complete lift kit had to be removed before the vehicle could be considered road legal again. He stated that a commercial vehicle cannot be altered in anyway from factory specs. The story was that the DOT peeled the information/registration sticker off of the door and told the guy that he would be waiting for a call that the vehicle was back to factory standards. Once he received that call he would replace the sticker on the door and it could be driven again.
Is this a true story? Can a vehicle not be altered as described? Does a passenger vehicle differ from a commercial vehicle?
Old 11-02-2010, 04:33 PM

I know in Sask you are required to get a safety after having installed a lift and are required to make sure you have the wheels covered by fender as well as large mud flaps. Most people do not know that but a hard but cop made a friend go through it and I had a cop stop me for tint and then wrote me up for a safety inspection because I had rims with a bit of offset and wide tires on a GMC half ton stree tires none the less. Research the rule book before you go higher and talk with your insurance company to make sure any changes you make won't void your coverage in any way if not disclosed. Also keep some cash on hand for extra wear and tear the larger tires will do on the driveline and other components.
Old 11-02-2010, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishootbambi View Post
3 pics of trucks lifted in this thread, and 2 of them appear to be done wrong. maybe its just the pic angle, but it looks like 2 sit higher in the front than the rear. i installed tons of the things when i was a mechanic and the best advice i can give you is one word......Rancho.
Lift kits can be higher in the front then the rear, there are people out there who prefer it, its and option some like to do. You saying its wrong is more just a personal preference of yours.