Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 11-10-2010, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeones View Post
There are some VERY good fisherman, guys who consistently win money in AB and SK that come to this site now and then. In talking to them, they can't be bothered to post for the most part because of the atmosphere here on most days. It's a shark tank. These are guys that could teach all of us a thing or two about fishing, and have probably forgotten more about fishing than I know. That's unfortunate. At the same time, maybe it's a good thing lol.
You might be right there, but I doubt any serious tournament guy is going to share anything that might help someone else. I've fished on the SAWT and a lot of those guys are jerks and would never help a guy out. There are some nice people, and funny enough they are all on here that post regularily. So the guys who are jerks might as well just stay away. In fact, there are stories where people have gone under in the water and a guy next to them doesn't even help them out.
Old 11-10-2010, 09:38 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeones View Post
There are some VERY good fisherman, guys who consistently win money in AB and SK that come to this site now and then. In talking to them, they can't be bothered to post for the most part because of the atmosphere here on most days. It's a shark tank. These are guys that could teach all of us a thing or two about fishing, and have probably forgotten more about fishing than I know. That's unfortunate. At the same time, maybe it's a good thing lol.

I don't post often. I just try and share my experience every now and then when I think someone could use some help or a little different point of view.

As far as the flasher goes, to each his own. If people here do well without them, then more power to them. I rarely fish in depths of less than 10', so that wasn't really a consideration when I posted. To my mind, a flasher is even more valuable to the novice fisherman, the guy who doesn't know exactly how to find the fish, work his bait, or fish the whole water column. For that person, a flasher is the single best tool they can have to flatten out the learning curve and improve their success on the ice, and that makes ice fishing more enjoyable. Not only that, but when you compare all the costs of ice fishing gear or even going out for a day, a decent quality flasher is actually pretty cheap.

That said, there's plenty of times when I head out with some smokies, some beverages and good company, hang out in the shack, and could really care less if I catch anything, and those are often some of the best days. You certainly don't need a flasher to do that. That's when you need a camera!
I agree with your statement about flashers but as I said earlyer, if you regularly enjoy better success than the rest of us it has at least as much to do with your fishing style as your gear. A flasher does you no good if your sitting on the same hole in shanty town dangling the same hook all day. Other things that you pretty much need for run and gun style fishing include a power auger and a 4x4 truck, on the lakes I fish even a 4x4 isnt going to get you much further than the ice shanty towns so most of the year you will need a sled as well, may as well throw in a tent... At this point the OP is probably thinking that rather than take up ice fishing he may as well just cheap out and take the kids to Disney Land.

A hand auger, ice scoop, some line and hooks. For well under $100 you can be catching fair numbers of fish. Allthough I now have a power auger and some tents for the better part of a decade my total investment in icefishing gear was under $50 and I caught as many fish as anyone else. From there you can spend as much as you want, just like any other sport.

PS. Your steering the thread in a counterproductive direction again Mustang. Not that we arent all guilty of that.

Last edited by Cal; 11-10-2010 at 09:49 AM.
Old 11-10-2010, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicemustang View Post
You might be right there, but I doubt any serious tournament guy is going to share anything that might help someone else. I've fished on the SAWT and a lot of those guys are jerks and would never help a guy out. There are some nice people, and funny enough they are all on here that post regularily. So the guys who are jerks might as well just stay away. In fact, there are stories where people have gone under in the water and a guy next to them doesn't even help them out.
Some are jerks, no doubt about that, but you might be surprised at what some of those guys will share. Tournaments aren't really won and lost based on a secret honey hole or a secret technique. It's the ability to put it all together, and the experience to know what to do and when to do it on any given day in all kinds of conditions. They're not going to hold your rod for you on tournament weekend obviously, but if you have questions, especially general ones or things that are tackle/boat setup related, in my experience, most will give you an honest answer and point you in the right direction.

Anyways, this is COMPLETELY off topic lol.

Necessities - warm clothes, a hand auger, a spool of line with a stick to wrap it around, a snelled hook, and some bait. From there, it's all luxuries.

Last edited by freeones; 11-10-2010 at 10:04 AM.
Old 11-10-2010, 10:27 AM

Well we've already answered the questions about the necessities, so I guess it's ok to say off topic.

I agree with your statement freeones, except that putting it all together takes time and practice, can't be learned via the internet on a forum. Go fishing with an experienced tournament fisher for a day is how you learn.
Old 11-10-2010, 11:51 AM

We started with buckets to sit on, our daughters' barbie rods that they had outgrown, some hooks, and a hand ice auger.

We did just fine and had a blast.

Now we have more stuff (the tent being the first major purchase) but still no electronics.

Start with what you can afford and buy what suits you and how you like to fish.
Old 11-10-2010, 12:00 PM
Gone Fishing

X2 ......what Noah said
Old 11-10-2010, 12:13 PM

Electronics are overrated. It helps, but I use only fishfinder to check depth and structure. If I fish in known place like Travers, I know area pretty well so sometimes do not even bother taking fishfinder as I will know what depth is and where the drop-offs are anyway.
Point is it helps but it will not make fish bite. It is your technique and bait which does the trick.
Oh, nothing beats the look on somebodies face surrounded by electronics and no fish on ice while you are reeling in another one... "what and you do not even have a camera"?
Old 11-10-2010, 12:22 PM
Banned

Too much posturing here,,,,

still haven't got a tent after 35 years but the motorised auger sure beats the hand crank. a giantic bobber with a card taped on it floated in the hole keeps the ice from reforming and never shovel away the ice pile from the drilling, soak it and let it freeze, your hole won't freeze up as fast and it stops some fish from accidently slitherin back down and works as a sorta tip up stand.
GOOD BOOTS and Balclava
bring a good bit of plywood if you're into whitefishing and laying down on the ice, towel over head to see down the hole. BBQ/Hibatchi on a sled. and fires on the ice do ok just take the charred bits away later in the season. Coarse broom or shovel, welders gloves with good lining. And all the other stuff mentioned but you can get away with far less than you think.

Ice fishing is a blast with the right people.

Re-reading the cafuffle on here, the original poster asked for suggestions, somehow the mustang fellow felt a need to micro-manage a suggestion and bolster it with unrelated info. What is a flasher anyhow?

Last edited by Gust; 11-10-2010 at 12:28 PM.
Old 11-10-2010, 03:48 PM

"I've fished on the SAWT and a lot of those guys are jerks and would never help a guy out."

I take issue with that statement. You couldnt have fished very many SAWT Tournaments or met many SAWT people. All most all are very good people with like minded interests - fishing. You also need to consider the fact it is a competition. And even under those conditions many will share some information with you. Especially if you are new!

As far as electronics go, they are a tool to help you catch fish. Two good fisherman and only one is using electronics - Im betting on the one with the electronics to have the edge anytime(providing they know how to use them)!
Old 11-10-2010, 06:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntsfurfish View Post
"I've fished on the SAWT and a lot of those guys are jerks and would never help a guy out."

I take issue with that statement. You couldnt have fished very many SAWT Tournaments or met many SAWT people. All most all are very good people with like minded interests - fishing. You also need to consider the fact it is a competition. And even under those conditions many will share some information with you. Especially if you are new!

As far as electronics go, they are a tool to help you catch fish. Two good fisherman and only one is using electronics - Im betting on the one with the electronics to have the edge anytime(providing they know how to use them)!
It is posable some times you get treated the way you deserve I've always found most anglers including pro's quite helpful.

H
Old 11-10-2010, 07:01 PM

awesome post. x2
Old 11-10-2010, 10:21 PM

i have cut lots of holes by hand and it sucks . just picked up a power auger and tent at costco in edmonton for about$430 . if you are just getting into ice fishing that might seem like alot but if you end up going out on the ice lot , you will eventually buyboth of these items so you may as well get them now . i lost my auger and tent last year and was not going to start this winter with out .
Old 11-10-2010, 10:43 PM

I think everything required from necessity to luxury has been mentioned.( I'm assuming someone mentioned go-go dancers on a raised platform already!)

Anyways, I found best bang for the buck was 1 of those telescoping shovels from crappy tire.They work like a full sized shovel,take up little room,are light and only cost ten bucks. It's amazing how much nicer it is working around a nice clean hole.(Gigity)

And I don't care how much you spend on everything else; if your feet are cold the fishing is gonna suck.Don't scrimp on the boots and the socks.

NHO
Old 11-10-2010, 11:34 PM

This thread has been de-railed beyond repair.
Sorry to the OP for closing the thread. Maybe if you start a new thread these boys can keep it on track and answer your questions without getting into a debate.

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Benelli, Sako, Beretta, Tikka, Franchi, Burris, & Steiner
Closed Thread