Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-20-2010, 11:40 AM

Default winter camo

Would like to hear opinions of what you think is the best winter camo. I am looking for hands on experience only. Thanks
Joe
Old 11-20-2010, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWD 800 View Post
Would like to hear opinions of what you think is the best winter camo. I am looking for hands on experience only. Thanks
Joe
I prefer Maverick Camo. They are a small company running out of a guys house in Grande Prairie. Mick is a REALLY good guy. He goes to all the gun shows he can, I've seen it in a couple shops around Alberta. He was at HuntFest this year. He has a guarantee that if you can't wash the blood out, he will send you a new pair!
Sittin' here waitin' on a deer, drinkin' beer and wastin' bullets, Aimin' at the empties, missin' hittin' pine trees, It ain't my fault them cans keep movin', My baby's on the phone sayin' baby come home, Where you been and What you've been doin', We'll I've been, sittin' here, waitin' on a deer
Drinkin' beer and wastin' bullets
Old 11-20-2010, 12:03 PM

My favorite is the military surplus stuff. It is tough, light weight, stops the wind and is fairly reasonable.
Old 11-20-2010, 12:08 PM

Best I've seen was 12 years ago ordered in from Cabelas. Had shadows, some splotches that oculd pass for stubble or grass and also some highlighted areas. Used it for years until the great backed up septic flood destroyed it.
Can't find anything close so bought Golden Retriever near pure white coveralls and air brushed my own shadows, highs and lows in and they seem to work.
Problem with snow camo is what I need is different than what a deer or predator hunter in Red Deer or Grande Prairie would need. I don't want branches or leaves in mine but for some that is critical.
Old 11-20-2010, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwbirds View Post
Best I've seen was 12 years ago ordered in from Cabelas. Had shadows, some splotches that oculd pass for stubble or grass and also some highlighted areas. Used it for years until the great backed up septic flood destroyed it.
Can't find anything close so bought Golden Retriever near pure white coveralls and air brushed my own shadows, highs and lows in and they seem to work.
Problem with snow camo is what I need is different than what a deer or predator hunter in Red Deer or Grande Prairie would need. I don't want branches or leaves in mine but for some that is critical.
This is Maverick Camo's snow pattern..

I really like it.
Sittin' here waitin' on a deer, drinkin' beer and wastin' bullets, Aimin' at the empties, missin' hittin' pine trees, It ain't my fault them cans keep movin', My baby's on the phone sayin' baby come home, Where you been and What you've been doin', We'll I've been, sittin' here, waitin' on a deer
Old 11-20-2010, 12:24 PM

still a little dark for me on prairies but that woud really blend in where we hunt in the foothills. Looks almost digital so will blend really well into disappearing with the least bit of cover. Mine was more like purple shadows and yellow highlights against a gray and white background so I looked like a prairie snowbank.
Old 11-20-2010, 12:26 PM
waylow

I had some stuff that was called "Ducksback" and was really warm with just a regular white/tree pattern. I liked it because of the warmth, not because of the pattern. It was stolen out of the back of my truck and could never find it again. I now use King's snow camo, maybe not the best but it's pretty warm with lots of mobility.
Old 11-20-2010, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwbirds View Post
still a little dark for me on prairies but that woud really blend in where we hunt in the foothills. Looks almost digital so will blend really well into disappearing with the least bit of cover. Mine was more like purple shadows and yellow highlights against a gray and white background so I looked like a prairie snowbank.
The stuff me and my buddy have, has alot of yellow in it. I can get a pic up if you want one.
Old 11-20-2010, 12:46 PM

Would like to see it as it sounds similar to what I had but the yellow usually doesn't look like a snowbank unless it has the gray and purple shadows in it.
thanks
Rob
Old 11-20-2010, 01:01 PM

Full body shot

Close up

Old 11-20-2010, 01:11 PM

I use Mossy Oak winter brush pattern now and have used the Realtree snow camo. I prefer the snow camo to be in a lightweight pull over.
Old 11-20-2010, 01:17 PM
Banned

Thumbs up

This is what I use (fathers day present from years ago) Very nice kit and if you go to the store they will size you up for a tailored fit. I find the Canadian military winter whites are just way too noisy when on the move, lots of whissh whissssh when walking.

The Saskatchewan Special Cover Suit

http://www.ravenwear.ca/outerware.htm

This plain white 100% polyester 10 oz. micro-fleece 3/4 length jacket and pull on pants combination is designed to accommodate those sportsmen hunting in areas such as Saskatchewan where white is required by law.
These garments fit loosely over your winter parka or your Anti-Freeze System. The jacket features roomy, zippered pockets, 2-way front zip close, attached hood and elastic cuffs. The pants feature side entry slits for access to inner pants pockets. the wide legs feature side zippers. Drawstring waist and zip front fly.

Old 11-20-2010, 02:47 PM

I have the natural, theres snow aswell. I like the product

http://www.naturalgear.com/
Old 11-20-2010, 03:56 PM

On the left side there is a link to make your own.
Done right, its very effective.
http://www.peteward.com/
Old 11-20-2010, 04:04 PM

Predator winter white camo for me. Unfortunately Predator no longer makes clothing in this pattern.
Old 11-22-2010, 02:06 PM

Mossy Oak Tree Stand or the RealTree Winter Hardwoods for me. I have a few...heavy parka, Heavy Fleece parka and a thin cotton shell jacket.
Old 11-22-2010, 02:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkaholic6 View Post
Full body shot

Close up

nice stuff
Old 11-22-2010, 02:20 PM
Banned

i had all white coveralls for a long time and they worked great

i recently bought mossy oak winter camo. i can't find a picture of it but it's great it looks like alfalfa stocks coming out of the snow. it blends in really nice
Old 11-22-2010, 03:40 PM
Banned

Painters coveralls, add some brown and black streaks with perm marker and call it done.
Old 11-22-2010, 03:41 PM

good as any and probably buy it cheaper.

http://www.globalarmysurplus.com/en/...anadian-2.html

Hey, it's SNOW camo. Why busy it up? Made the interesting observation, on the way to work, that much of the commercial camo patterns, I've seen are way too white, to blend in.

Grizz
Old 11-22-2010, 04:30 PM

Plain old white for me.
Old 11-22-2010, 06:28 PM

white fleece, most winter camos are to dark.
Old 11-22-2010, 06:32 PM

King's Snow Shadow
Old 11-22-2010, 07:32 PM

this year I tried out the 2010 ram in bright white, worked wonders and very warm even had to turn down the heat at times. deer seemed to draw in closer than usual probably to try and hear the tunes and rock out with me a little

lol kidding
Old 11-22-2010, 08:28 PM

Well ... I needed winter camo this past weekend. 2 old white t-shirts from high school and kitchen knife did the trick (Addidas, Tommy Hillfigure and Henckels)

Pros:
$0, effective, replaceable, reused, quiet, packable ... did the job very well.

Cons:
Access to pockets was poor.
Crossing barbed wire fences was even more challenging

Last edited by BigRackLover; 11-22-2010 at 08:34 PM.