Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-07-2010, 06:55 PM

Default Remington ti....needs brakes

The gun is the original not Alaskan 7mm-08..she is brand new in the box..so I loaded up some 162 gr lead (same lead I've used in the Mag for 30 years) to what should be around 2700fps +/- no cronie and it's not fun..you guys out west have been playing with these thing for years...what are some good brakes I could look into....I looked to long and hard for this rifle not to enjoy it......any help would be welcomed...

I'm just a simple guy from the bush..
thanks again
D
Old 12-07-2010, 06:59 PM

You have choices,deal with the recoil,or deal with the extreme noise after you add a brake.Neither is likely to be very enjoyable.
Old 12-07-2010, 07:03 PM

I can't think of a worse thing to do to that rifle.

-Billy Molls
Old 12-07-2010, 07:04 PM

do they not make a brake that wont bust a ear drum?

thanks for reply
Old 12-07-2010, 07:05 PM

You will likely find your 7-08 to be happier with 120-140 gr bullets, and your shoulder wil be happier too.

Either that, or I can give you a bench, my 300 Ultra and some 220 gr max loads. That will make the 7-08 feel pretty mild.

I wouldn't add a brake on that rifle, adding extra steel detracts from its purpouse of a flyweight. If it is that bothersome, I would sell it and get a slightly heavier Model Seven with a good recoil pad. I am sure you will find plenty of takers for an original Ti.
Old 12-07-2010, 07:06 PM

Yeah, I am sort of with Chuck on this one. If you cant handle the recoil get a heavier rifle or a smaller caliber.... you would have no trouble moving that rifle.
Old 12-07-2010, 07:07 PM

There is always magna-port if you are concerned about length and weight, but as mentioned, they are deafening.
Old 12-07-2010, 07:08 PM

I got some old 145 speer boats maybe that is the answer

thanks for reply
D
Old 12-07-2010, 07:22 PM

I have the same rifle in 308

I have been shooting 150s out of it and i prefer to shoot that rifle over all the others i have ever had

I find there is very little recoil, and I am quite a small guy.

Is it possible that the stock doesnt fit you right and you are holding it slightly different than you would a more full sized rifle?

It took a bit of getting used to with mine, but now i wouldnt trade it for the world.

Good choice in rifle and caliber BTW
Old 12-08-2010, 07:57 AM

7-08 is a light recoiling rifle, the problem as was mentioned is either to do with fit or somehting with your shoulder. I would defeintely go doown to a 140ish grain round and then see how she goes.
Old 12-08-2010, 08:24 AM

I'm not aware what recoil pad is on the Ti but there are some very good ones on the market that can take a lot of the sting out of the rifle.
Old 12-10-2010, 03:41 AM

I'm guessing poor fit and that the stock is to short for you 3/8 in. can turn amild rifle into a mule. years ago you use to see alot of what looked like recoil pads for 10ga.shot guns on some rifles it was to lenghten the stock with out tring to add to the wood or you may need a diffent stock al together.with out seeing you or the gun this is just a guess. good luck
Old 12-10-2010, 05:12 AM

Thanks for all the help guys...

Loaded some 145s ....put on a thick coat..much better... she turned into a creampuff...in all I put 20 break in rounds through her cleaning lots..just to cold to work up a good load..when it warms up
I'll play with powders and the pad thickness..

Thanks again for all the help..

ps These little guns should group 1/2" moa for a couple shots before they get hot shouldn't they..once I get the load dialed that is.. with any luck

Thanks again
Danny
Old 12-10-2010, 09:57 AM

Quote:
These little guns should group 1/2" moa for a couple shots before they get hot shouldn't they..once I get the load dialed that is.. with any luck
Consider yourself very lucky if you can consistently achieve 1/2 moa,for this type of rifle, 3/4moa to moa is considered pretty good.
Old 12-10-2010, 03:48 PM

Default Gentry muzzle brake

I have a Weatherby 300 ultrlight and had a gentry brake installed by Leroy Siki of rocky mountain gunsmithing in Okotoks. I find it to be a lot less noisy than others I have seen.

I have shot it without hearing protection with no ringing or any problems in my ears.

I also know other hunters with muzzle brakes that remove them in the field.

www.rmguns.com
Old 12-11-2010, 03:49 AM

you siad that a thick caot helped, stock to short try taking off but plate and add 1/4 in piece of puck board or leather or what ever but you will find that it makes a diffrence sometimes better some times worse .in your case i would bet that it makes it better.may even need more than 1/4in. GOOD LUCK
Old 12-12-2010, 10:26 AM

Don't know what it has for a recoil pad from the factory. If it is the R-3 then it is already a limbsaver. If not, first thing I would suggest is a Pacmeyer or Limbsaver recoil pad. Next thing is check the length of pull, put the butt in the crook of your elbow and your trigger finger should just close or hook over the trigger. Adjust as required.

Then check that the comb is high enough to give you a good cheek weld while looking through the scope. If the comb is too low, can you use lower rings, if not you can add the strap on type cheek piece or have the stock proffessionaly raised. If it is too high, pretty unlikely, shave it down.

In very light rifles, even in what are usually light kicking cartridges, fit of the stock makes all the difference in the world to felt recoil. A little time and money getting the gun to fit perfectly will pay off in a lifetime of shooting pleasure with a nice light carrying rifle. Best of luck and let us know what your measuring shows.
Old 12-13-2010, 11:12 AM

I have a Kimber Montana in 300WSM with Talley Lightweights, and a Leupold VX3 2.5-8. According to the luggage scale, it is 7lbs. From the bench, using a PAST skeet pad, and shooting 150 Fusions, I found it to be quite a handful.

Out hunting, even from the prone (using a bipod), no problem. Buying a super mag plus PAST pad also helped from the bench.

Part of the price to pay for a nice carrying rifle.