Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-17-2010, 02:51 PM

Default Carson Help

Hey Guys
I'm a youth pastor and love taking students outside into the outdoors. I'm taking my Sr.High Boys group out next Thursday icefishing at Carson and was wondering if I could get some general helps/hints and also where to go (somewehere where the sun does shine). I've done a search and it seems marmish lures, jigs with shrimp and orange powerbait work well, anything else I shoudl know? Thanx in advance.
Old 12-17-2010, 03:39 PM

Default Carson

1st thing, remember any of your Sr. High boys who are over 16 need a license. Carson is real easy, to the left of the launch, go about 60-100 yrds off shore, start to drill holes parallel with the shoreline, and fish away with any small white/yellow/green ice-fishing lures (marmushka's are the best) Last time I was out the "gulp"corn power bait was the ticket. Drop it too the bottom with 4lb test line, and bring it back up about 2-4 inches off the bottom, and then jig occasionally. Often once you get it down too the bottom, when you go to jig it the first time there is a fish on. Don't keep anything smaller then 12" as there are plenty of 14"-16"'s just be patient.

Good luck and have fun!
Old 12-17-2010, 03:43 PM

search for info from Paul C, seems the resident rainbow guru on here, and friendly and informative
Old 12-17-2010, 05:07 PM

I fished it a couple a years back I and only had normal coloured maggets and some shrim with with me,had no luck ,then someone gave me a few red maggets then I caught my limit .
Tip is to bring one package of every colour.
We will pray for you that you catch lots of fish.
In Gods speed !
Old 12-17-2010, 05:45 PM

Fished the exact spot mentioned above last weekend. You'll see lots of holes drilled. About 200 yards off the launch slightly to the right is good too. I was using small trebles with shrimp, and other buddies were using chartreuse and rainbow power bait. We almost limited out. However they were cruising around 8 feet deep in 20 FOW when we were there. Experiment with depth! 4 lb test is good.
Old 12-17-2010, 06:11 PM

Thumbs up Carson Trouties

Quote:
Originally Posted by timsesink View Post
Hey Guys
I'm a youth pastor and love taking students outside into the outdoors. I'm taking my Sr.High Boys group out next Thursday icefishing at Carson and was wondering if I could get some general helps/hints and also where to go (somewehere where the sun does shine). I've done a search and it seems marmish lures, jigs with shrimp and orange powerbait work well, anything else I shoudl know? Thanx in advance.
Yep there is nice size trout in this lake. Here is a pictures from spring.
PM me if you require advice.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Carson_may15_10.JPG (91.6 KB, 87 views)
File Type: jpg carson_may_10.JPG (64.3 KB, 74 views)
Old 12-17-2010, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebossy View Post
search for info from Paul C, seems the resident rainbow guru on here, and friendly and informative
Thank-You
Old 12-17-2010, 08:08 PM

Location: 3rd rock from the sun, formerly from 4th rock from the sun
Smile

Dew worms and Velveeta cheese also work well, but it's gotta be Velveeta if you use cheese
Old 12-17-2010, 08:30 PM

All great info guys, all of them are in gr.10-11 as we have a seperate gr.12 group so they're 16 or younger. Great info on location and ideas, I'll give Paul C a pm.
Old 12-17-2010, 11:33 PM

what is the ice thickness right now??
Old 12-17-2010, 11:41 PM

Great place to take the guys. I don't think that you could find more of a sure thing in Alberta fishing than Carson. You won't catch anything spectacular but you will catch fish pretty steady.

There is a drop-off and good fishing left of the launch but I personally don't believe that this spot produces any better than many others and I usually avoid it to get away from the crowd (although you should be okay on a Thursday).

I usually fish on the smaller side. Drive down the hill from the tenting area near the peninsula. Along the shoreline to the right is all good fishing in 15' of water. I limited out + throwbacks in an hour and a half last weekend. I was catching on a small jig and on a wireworm with shirmp and a powerbait knockoff. I usually add a weight 6" from the hook to sink fast and so that I know for sure how far I am from bottom. The trick is to let them hit it a couple of times and then a small but quick hook set... kind of like for perch. Use a very sensitive rod or a strike indicator. You won't even notice bites on a stiff rod.

Rumor has it that they stocked the wrong (bigger size) last year. This may be true. I fished Carson twice last winter and limited but caught tons of small ones. The ones that I threw back last weekend were almost keeper size.

Thats enough rambling for me.

Good luck and God bless!
Old 12-17-2010, 11:45 PM

ice is 8-12"

It was about 10" (eyeballed, not measured) where I was fishing (see above).

Don't drive on. There is thin ice by the powershack on the larger side and often in the narrows. Also methane pockets, mostly on the far bank on the big side.

Remember that all the snow we have had slows freezing and adds weight to the ice.
Old 12-18-2010, 08:55 AM

Thumbs up

[QUOTE=SwampShark;768009]Great place to take the guys. I don't think that you could find more of a sure thing in Alberta fishing than Carson. You won't catch anything spectacular but you will catch fish pretty steady.

There is a drop-off and good fishing left of the launch but I personally don't believe that this spot produces any better than many others and I usually avoid it to get away from the crowd (although you should be okay on a Thursday).

I usually fish on the smaller side. Drive down the hill from the tenting area near the peninsula. Along the shoreline to the right is all good fishing in 15' of water. I limited out + throwbacks in an hour and a half last weekend. I was catching on a small jig and on a wireworm with shirmp and a powerbait knockoff. I usually add a weight 6" from the hook to sink fast and so that I know for sure how far I am from bottom. The trick is to let them hit it a couple of times and then a small but quick hook set... kind of like for perch. Use a very sensitive rod or a strike indicator. You won't even notice bites on a stiff rod.Rumor has it that they stocked the wrong (bigger size) last year.
This may be true. I fished Carson twice last winter and limited but caught tons of small ones. The ones that I threw back last weekend were almost keeper size.
They put small minnows because the stocking supplier brought wrong size which will result in better fishing this winter. One board member said he was catching bigger fish than last year.
Happy Trout Hunting.
Click here for your card.

Last edited by Paul C; 12-18-2010 at 09:07 AM.