Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-16-2010, 01:50 PM
Banned

The worst place to travel on a lake is close to shore in the shallows and in between islands.. If you are going to have thin spots thats where they will be. Good lesson for all. The deeper the better for ice..
Old 02-16-2010, 03:49 PM

Seeing as how it was a Dodge it should be catch and release
Old 02-16-2010, 04:15 PM
Banned

He should be fined for littering ( dropped cell phone ) Also for polluting ( can't tell me that Dodge wasn't leaking oil out of someplace). Hey a law is a law no exceptions right.. They don't make em they just follow them
Old 02-16-2010, 05:39 PM

Unfortunately the thousands that may need to go into fixing that truck will be taken from conservation monies dohhh Glad he got out but after just being warned....hmmmm
Old 02-16-2010, 08:23 PM

oh no its not even halloween and michael myers is out at crawling valley. worst of all there's more than one! its good to hear they got out safe tho.
Old 02-16-2010, 09:21 PM

Just to clear up some of the questions the old dodge never missed a beat it ran the whole time, they managed to chop and break up the ice and use another truck with a winch to haul it out, the area was not far from the red rock launch.
Old 02-17-2010, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleyes View Post
The worst place to travel on a lake is close to shore in the shallows and in between islands.. If you are going to have thin spots thats where they will be. Good lesson for all. The deeper the better for ice..
What a " Catch 22 ", if you drive on the deeper parts with technically better ice and go threw your living with the fishies, or you drive the shore with higher odds of breaking threw but you walk away to fish another day.

I have broken threw the ice in a truck and there was no warning it crashed threw instantly to the window level. The older person driving and myself had time to roll down the window and climb out before it sunk and stopped at roof level. If I have to go on the ice I personally drive the shoreline with 2 tires on the shore. If I go threw again liked I mentioned at least I walk away.

Dodger.
Old 02-17-2010, 10:06 AM

I'm still waiting to hear if this happened in the south islands or the north islands.
Old 02-17-2010, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooker View Post
i'm still waiting to hear if this happened in the south islands or the north islands.
Quote:
Originally Posted by swishsmurf View Post
just to clear up some of the questions the old dodge never missed a beat it ran the whole time, they managed to chop and break up the ice and use another truck with a winch to haul it out, the area was not far from the red rock launch.
fyi
Old 02-17-2010, 11:37 AM

so was it on the west side of the lake not far from red rock road? or the east side? stright across the lake from red rock road? the east side makes more sense.
Old 02-17-2010, 04:13 PM

Thanks Tacklerunner for trying to clear up the location BUT if you are not from the area the name of a boat launch or a road (Red Rock launch or Red Rock road) doesn't help much. I know the launch by the campground and I know there is a boat launch in the islands on the east side of the lake east of the camground. I know there are some islands up on the west side of the lake so this is where I would like some help. I sure don't want to be driving into an unsafe area. I know a good 'rule of thumb' is that if there are vehicle tracks that don't end abruptly it's usually safe to follow them.
Old 02-17-2010, 05:35 PM

not always true , you or I could be the first one through
Old 02-18-2010, 02:15 PM

Default Lucky

The only thing I ever saw back in where he went through is beavers and muskrats. Never have caught anything in there. At least he was in a good place to get out.
Old 02-18-2010, 02:45 PM

So I am thinking he was on the west side somewhere close to the red rock access, I thought my auger was going to bottom out that weekend
Old 02-18-2010, 03:27 PM

I did bottom out the auger @ red rock road checking the ice. there was lots of ice.
Old 02-18-2010, 05:42 PM

Default Should Be........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perchfisher View Post
Seeing as how it was a Dodge it should be catch and release
That would be catch and regrease !
Old 12-30-2010, 05:02 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by swishsmurf View Post
well i was out on crawling valley res yesterday it was cold and windy, and the fishing was slow however i managed to snagg a few photos worth sharing and a warning/heads up for anyone heading out on the ice. I was on the ice fishing away when i noticed the c.o headed in our direction, upon his arrival i questioned him if he gets nervous driving across the middle of the lake like he did, he assured me that the ice is fine and as long as you don't travel too quick creating waves there is not a huge risk but warned us about newell, he checked our hooks, with great confidence i pulled up my line only to realize while fishing with my sister and her friends the previous day they had baited a barbed hook which was put into the my bait bag with hook concealed by sardine, My other line was pinched, i blamed my sister Ha ha he gave me a warning, i sat in my truck and pinched every single hook i have in my tackle box, an hour later while checking my lines again i hear a voice behind me i look around and see the same c.o ....i thought what a sneaky bugger, i tell him he is just in time cause i just finished pinching every barb...he stopped me and said in exchange for the warning he would like to use my phone he was out of breath and looked uneasy, i asked if everything was ok he told us his truck was in the lake and he managed to crawl through the window. He said he was on his phone calling for help when it slipped from his hand and also went into the lake, he called for help and thanked us. We tried to offer him a lift but he refused??? Maybe to avoid the pictures And embarassment. I am goin to put these pictures up with their faces concealed out of respect for the warning Be careful out there....the c.o said i may have jinxed him by questioning his travels across the lake, he spoke in confidence about the ice being safe...when asked about ice by anybody i use words like..it might be...its up to yourself...whatta ever your comfortable with... Roll your windows down...are you covered...and my favorite saying as i drive onto the ice has to be...toyota recall this

here is the pics

Tags
barbless, crawling valley, ice