Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-21-2011, 08:39 PM

Default Where's A Camera When You Need One?

Had a neat drive home tonight. Not too far from home there is a hill with guardrails on each side of the highway. As I got close to the hill, a couple oncoming vehicles flipped their lights at me. Usually that means cops or wildlife, but knowing the area I figured deer. Slowed down quick and sure enough there's a whitey fawn standing in the oncoming lane. After I went past I thought it was odd that she never moved, so I turned around to see what was up. When I got back she stood right in the middle of the road while I stopped inches from tapping her with my bumper. I put the hazards on and got out to see why she wouldn't move. She looked fine with no obvious injuries but I had to get her off the road. Pushed her butt with my foot and nothing... Talked loud and pushed on her.. Nothing. Here's the funny part... I actually picked her up under her belly and carriede her a few steps to the edge of the road! Put her down on the shoulder and she walked to treeline like nothing happened! I assume she was hit or something but like I said, there were no obvious wounds and she walked fine? Beats me, but kind of a neat way to end the day.
Old 01-21-2011, 08:42 PM

I wonder if the fawn was blinded or just in a state of shock or something. Cool story regardless.
Old 01-21-2011, 08:45 PM

Sounds like it was scared stiff..lol
Old 01-21-2011, 08:51 PM

maybe it was like one of those fainting goats only i didnt fall lol?
Old 01-21-2011, 09:27 PM

FullCurl: maybe the fawn was somebody's former pet;
It could have been bottle fed by somebody's kid, then the parents realized they better take it out and turn it loose in the wild ?
Old 01-21-2011, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattle Dog View Post
FullCurl: maybe the fawn was somebody's former pet;
It could have been bottle fed by somebody's kid, then the parents realized they better take it out and turn it loose in the wild ?
I suppose that could be, but not likely. There are lots of both species of deer right where she was. In fact, about 2 weeks ago ther was a mule deer hit right where she was. I'm thinking she got bumped, but she wasn't bleeding externally or busted up that I could see. And when I got her off the highway she walked to the bush as though she was fine. I'm sure she would have been splattered any minute with the pavement being wet and dark like it was tonight. I knew where she was when I came back to her and I had to be within 100 yards or so to see her on the road.
Old 01-22-2011, 03:15 PM

You know there's a disease that effects deer like that, I've heard of one big buck in Central Man. that was the same way, they called the boys and found out it was diseased. Maybe should report it?
Old 01-22-2011, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ianhntr View Post
You know there's a disease that effects deer like that, I've heard of one big buck in Central Man. that was the same way, they called the boys and found out it was diseased. Maybe should report it?
Oh great! Tell me now after I gave her a big hug! Lol!
Seriously though, I thought about calling but haven't yet.
Old 01-22-2011, 09:10 PM

Nice to see people care!