Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-30-2007, 10:09 AM

Very nice....! That must have been quite the scare when he seemingly recovered and took off. Would have scared me!

Did they give you any hassle at F&W about legality? Like Sheephunter said... must have been a tough call in the field.

Now excuse me while I go exercise extra hard today. Only 8 more months!

Frans
Old 12-30-2007, 10:17 AM
stubblejumper

Quote:
Did they give you any hassle at F&W about legality? Like Sheephunter said... must have been a tough call in the field.
I know how that feels.The guy registering my ram at Rocky Mountain House was all over me because my ram was badly broomed and was legal by less than an inch.It took a lot of time for me to be sure before shooting the ram.It would have been even more difficult to be sure in the conditions that you had.But then we can only see a few pictures and a video,whereas you had more time and more angles to judge.
Old 12-30-2007, 11:01 AM

Agreed... A bit of a difference in angle on a picture makes all the difference in the result... Didn't mean to imply anything. Sometimes things can get a bit hairy at the F&W office when things are borderline.

Frans
Old 12-30-2007, 11:28 AM

Awesome video, good work. Congratulations
Old 12-30-2007, 11:34 AM
stubblejumper

Quote:
Agreed... A bit of a difference in angle on a picture makes all the difference in the result... Didn't mean to imply anything. Sometimes things can get a bit hairy at the F&W office when things are borderline.
Frans,I will be the first to admit that after looking at the pictures,I could not tell if the ram was legal,but I have only a few pictures and angles to judge by,and I am certainly no expert in judging sheep.I would not shoot my own ram until the person that I was hunting with,(a well known professional bighorn outfitter) assured me that it was legal.And of course he was right.In fact,the officer that registered my ram kept asking if I was sure that it was legal before shooting it.He kept making insinuations until I gave the outfitters name,and said that he assured me that the ram was legal before shooting.The officer then he dropped the topic immediately.
Old 12-30-2007, 11:58 AM

And my apologies for steering the topic away from what it should be: cheering about a wonderful trophy!! A great accomplishment any ram is, and with a bow... tremendous job!!

Well done, 'Wall!
Old 12-30-2007, 12:12 PM
stubblejumper

Yes,it was a great accomplishment,under some very difficult conditions,and two
magnificent trophies,the ram,and the video that will bring back great memories every time it is replayed.The adventure of a lifetime.
Old 12-30-2007, 12:15 PM
stubblejumper

Just checking my priority points,and I have 4,and I haven't applied since 2004.Damn,I could have 7 now.Maybe I will start again next year.
Old 12-30-2007, 12:23 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stubblejumper View Post
Just checking my priority points,and I have 4,and I haven't applied since 2004.Damn,I could have 7 now.Maybe I will start again next year.
SJ....the highest priority you can be in the 408 draw is a 4 so either you are looking at a different WMU or you have applied every year. With 149 guys with top priority and only 3 tags...I wouldn't bother getting back in if you aren't at the top of the pool.
Old 12-30-2007, 12:36 PM
stubblejumper

Right you are Sheep,I was looking at wmu 410.
Old 12-30-2007, 12:39 PM

I'm a 7 for 410...trying to decide if I'll draw it next year.....sure would be a challenging hunt. I'd LOVE to have gotten in on the 408 draw as it seems like an amazing opportunity.....
Old 12-30-2007, 02:50 PM

Default F&W

The F&W didnt give me any hassles, he just said it was a mature ram that was between 8.5 to 10.5 yrs old.He took some D.N.A. plugged it and shook my hand and I was on my way.I determined it was legal, harvested the ram and the rest is history .Maybe I,ll bring the ram to willowvalley (looks differnt when you have a hands on look.My cousin shot a book ram in K country this Sep maybe I can talk him into bringing his too.
Old 12-30-2007, 03:10 PM

Do you have any pics of your cousin's K-Country ram? Man I just love lookin at sheep!!
Old 12-30-2007, 03:12 PM

Well you shouldn't have been hasseled either. The pictures you have from the side are deceptive to say the least,by that I mean they don't give you a legal look. The picture from the front says enough, with the amount of horn from the point of tipping up. It might not be the way to judge if you haven't looked at a pile of rams, but some are quite obvious, as I believe this one is. Grossing around 180 seems to coincide with that. Congrats again, and nice video as well.
Old 12-31-2007, 10:06 PM

thanks for shareing that video with us.... I thought the guy in the last pic. looked familiar.... way to go Wall...way to go Chase.... I look foreward to seeing it at Willow Valley....

Jim

Last edited by elkhunter1234; 12-31-2007 at 10:48 PM.
Old 01-01-2008, 11:52 AM

A bow kill on a sheep and all you could muster is a two thumbs up??!! I'd be doing the happy dance like I won the lottery! Way to go!
Old 01-02-2008, 08:44 AM

Awesome! Congrats and thanks for posting the video as well.
Old 01-02-2008, 08:32 PM

Wall, cheers, beautiful ram and an OHHH YEAAAH on that video. The film takes the excitement of the post over the edge.

Really enjoyed this one.

Simpatico
Old 01-02-2008, 08:49 PM

Thumbs up bow kill

Great job, anytime you can take a trophy like that with stick and string you've really done something.