Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 05-14-2011, 02:49 AM

Default velocity vs accuracy?

So i realize that most people reload for accuracy but how much are u losing for velocity, compared to factory loads or are u getting faster loads than whats advertised?
Old 05-14-2011, 06:26 AM

Don't believe everything you read on the ammo box about velocity. I've chronied a few rounds from factory rounds and the velocity was low.

An example was the 7mm rem mag federal fusion. Chronied outta a 26" barrel at 2650fps. The pet load that I settled on with that rifle shoots 3/4"@100 and does 2900fps with boring regularity. 7mm rem mag, 175gr hornady, rl22.

Good luck.
Old 05-14-2011, 10:58 AM

Smile X's 2

Don't believe every thing you read!

Accuracy is all that counts. There are members who can put them through the same hole. See if they reply.

The barrel vibrates as the bullet passes down the rifle, the very good shooters/handloaders, can figure out when the barrel is either at the "top" or "bottom" of its cycle, called a sweet spot. Some even see if they can find both sweet spots.
Old 05-14-2011, 11:11 AM

Accuracy wins every day.

That being said, I often like to look for the best combination of speed and accuracy I can get. I never push things too hot as I like to be well within safe pressures, etc but I look for the best powder combination that gives me accuracy and speed.

I really like finding it quickly too! LOL. I hate trying a pile of different loads, etc if I can find one that works good. That happened yesterday with my new rifle from the looks of it!
Old 05-14-2011, 11:37 AM
sheephunter

There was a time when handloads were typically faster but much factory ammo these days is really stepping velocity up. Hornady's new Superformance is a classic example.
Old 05-14-2011, 11:39 AM

I take Accuracy over Velocity, but everything is a compromise

you Can't kill something if you can't hit it, and a bullet doesn't have to be going fast to kill!

and an accurate rifle instills confidence, a too powerful rifle instills a flinch.
Old 05-14-2011, 11:42 AM

Some guns you will get max speed with max accuracy, some you won't. Question you have to answer, is what will you accept for accuracy, are you target shooting and needing max accuracy? Plinking Gophers and needing a combo of both? Long Range shooting and needing both?
Some guns will shoot dimes with a certain batch of factory ammo, some won't shoot under 2 inches, but will be tunable with handloads to 1/2". Some guns need to be bedded with a pressure point, some need to be free-floated.
Tack driving accuracy is necessary for some disciplines, nice , but not really necessary for others. And then comes the character pulling the trigger, does it know how to get that accuracy out of it's gun. Some have the knowledge and ability, some don't, no matter what the speed of the projectile.
No magic formulas, just have to establish what you want vs what you have.
Old 05-14-2011, 11:43 AM

I generally try and find a bullet/powder combo that is accurate first and foremost using a middle of the road powder charge. I then work the load up to maximize velocity without losing accuracy. Sometimes the faster you push the better the groups get other times lower velocity loads group better. I definately choose accuracy first.Once its accurate to my liking I chronograph the load and adjust my point of impact to maximize my point blank range. The important thing is to actually shoot your load to the distances you want in the field. Then you have a real life idea of where your load shoots.

Prober bedding,light creep free triggers and quality barrels make the process a whole lot quicker.
Old 05-14-2011, 12:43 PM

with the affordable option of the general public owning chronographs the ammunition companies have had to bump up the program.problem i have been seeing is a rash of overloaded factory ammunition in factory rifles and semi customs.if your barrel is on the smaller end sizewise chances are you may not be able to shoot factory ammunition.i have a kimber in the shop for warranty right now with this exact problem.load just about anybodys factory ammo and instant overload..load up a max handload out fo the book and no problems.this is a 270 wsm and the barrel mikes .2696 which is approx. 1/2 thou under std.most barrels mike about .2704 or .2706 in this caliber.there has been a recall on some of the superformance ammunition already for this exact problem.
Old 05-14-2011, 01:13 PM

Accuracy first period.

In order to kill something, you must first HIT your target.

I find with reloading, that changing cartridge length, crimp, and powder choices all impact both accuracy and velocity, and all rifles are different.

My .204 savage is not a fussy eater. Cloverleafs all day long with Vmax 32's or 40's or Varmint grenades in 26gr if I use 322 powder (or a couple other good ones)

But so far, my gun DOES NOT like BLC2 Powder. I have tried only 4 different loads looking for my 'node' of accuracy but so far the results have been so disappointing that I cannot get stable enough results to even start a ladder test.

the harmonic whip of a barrel will even change in 2 otherwise identical rifles, and there is/are no shortcuts in finding your rifle's ultimate load.

It's trial and error.

But once you do find that magic combination, you will find that you have awesome accuracy, and velocity will also be more than sufficient.
Old 05-14-2011, 01:30 PM

I look for a combination of accuracy, velocity, and above all a safe load. Some hot loads will group well, but if the primer pockets are loose after a couple of loadings, I won't use that load. As far as published velocities for factory loads are concerned, in the vast majority of the cases, the actual velocities that I have chronographed are lower than advertised, and that includes the Light Magnum,Heavy Magnum, High Energy, and Superformance loads.
Old 05-14-2011, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
I look for a combination of accuracy, velocity, and above all a safe load. Some hot loads will group well, but if the primer pockets are loose after a couple of loadings, I won't use that load. As far as published velocities for factory loads are concerned, in the vast majority of the cases, the actual velocities that I have chronographed are lower than advertised, and that includes the Light Magnum,Heavy Magnum, High Energy, and Superformance loads.
I think velocities listed on factory ammo is a guideline at best. Unless you are shooting the exact same rifle/barrel combo they use for testing....which of course is impossible. The only way to determine velocity is to shoot the load over a chronograph with your rifle. Once you know the number the next step is to shoot it at intended field ranges..be it 200 yrds ,500 yrds or futher. It's the only way to truly establish the balistics of your load in your rifle. I think many shooters rely on published ballistic charts or ballistic calculators without actually shooting the load past a 100 yrds.
Old 05-15-2011, 09:44 AM

The reason im asking is that with factory amunition i can shoot 1 inch groups but to get that accuracy with hand loads i lose about 700fps. I have tried 4 different powders so far all with the same results. I have a bunch of bullets left and i was hoping to use them all up before i went and tried a new bullet.
Old 05-15-2011, 11:14 AM

Speed Kills.... but Accuracy kills more often
Old 05-15-2011, 01:09 PM

Quote:
The reason im asking is that with factory amunition i can shoot 1 inch groups but to get that accuracy with hand loads i lose about 700fps. I have tried 4 different powders so far all with the same results. I have a bunch of bullets left and i was hoping to use them all up before i went and tried a new bullet.
How many different bullets have you tried, and how many different seating depths?
Old 05-15-2011, 01:13 PM

Next step is to try a different bullet, i have only tried the bergers as i had a bunch given to me, i have been seating them as long as i can so that i can still use it as a repeter.
Old 05-15-2011, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Next step is to try a different bullet, i have only tried the bergers as i had a bunch given to me, i have been seating them as long as i can so that i can still use it as a repeter.
That being the situation, you may have set yourself up for failure from the start. Bergers are very long bullets, and they quite often to like being seated into the lands, which means that they usually need to be seated longer than will fit in most magazines.
Old 05-15-2011, 01:40 PM

Quote:
That being the situation, you may have set yourself up for failure from the start. Bergers are very long bullets, and they quite often to like being seated into the lands, which means that they usually need to be seated longer than will fit in most magazines.
When using bullets like bergers vld and the hornady Amax you could step down to a lighter bullet and seat them out as far as possible,doing this can bring you closer to the rifling with these types of bullets.
Old 05-15-2011, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redmega View Post
So i realize that most people reload for accuracy but how much are u losing for velocity, compared to factory loads or are u getting faster loads than whats advertised?
Check out the 270 WBY Mag Cartridge.Alot of it's most accurate loads have the highest velocity's.

A 270 Wby in a Cooper rifle....You cant loose

A Load with high Velocity and Has Great accuracy is the Ticket.
Old 05-15-2011, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Check out the 270 WBY Mag Cartridge.Alot of it's most accurate loads have the highest velocity's.
Yet the 270Wby does not have a reputation for being one of the more inherently accurate cartridges. The long freebore, may be part of the reason for that.
Old 05-15-2011, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Yet the 270Wby does not have a reputation for being one of the more inherently accurate cartridges. The long freebore, may be part of the reason for that.
Unfortunatley maybe not the best accuracy in a weatherby Rifle,Some yes,espicially the German's but not all weatherby Rifles.

However the 270WBY cartridge in a cooper or custom rifle,you should be more than fine.I know that the 270 wby shoots 130 grain nosler's at 3400' and it's the cartridges most accurate and hottest load(Nosler Manual) for 130 grain bullets.

My cousin has a custom 270Wby and it belts them 130's @ 3450 from the muzzle,and it's tight,1\2" 5 shots @ 100 yards.It's a Martini and Hagn Rifle.however he is cheating on the velocity abit,because that rifle has a 27.5inch octogan Barrel.
Old 05-15-2011, 11:08 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post
Right on !!!

Buy cheap cry every day .

Old 05-16-2011, 07:04 AM

Quote:
700 fps loss ?????? What are you shooting?
Old 05-16-2011, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Sometimes this is true because we expect that and set them out. I've been playing around with different depths and have found that accuracy is good out to 30 and even 50 thou off the lands.
Old 05-16-2011, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post
Love it!
Old 05-16-2011, 09:29 AM
Banned

if i can hit a clay pigeon at 300 yards thats more than accurate for me.

then i start pushing the loads and stay within that tolerance. where it lands it lands
Old 05-16-2011, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACKLEY ABE View Post
700 fps loss ?????? What are you shooting?
.257 wby Anybody want to recomend a different bullet? Would a hornady sst work well, I have had great success with it in a .243 win?
Old 05-16-2011, 10:28 AM
Banned

Quote:
.257 wby Anybody want to recomend a different bullet? Would a hornady sst work well, I have had great success with it in a .243 win?
Try the 110 grain Accubond, 110 Hornady Interbond or thie 90 GMX. Try RL 25 or H1000 or Retumbo with these bullets if you have a 26",or longer, barrel. In the event that you have a shorter barrel RL22 or H 4831 woukd be likely be a better choice. Better yet read Post# 14 under the thread, 7mm08 vs 257 wby mag.

Last edited by lclund1946; 05-16-2011 at 10:35 AM. Reason: Add info