Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 05-11-2011, 08:06 PM

Default Need help installing scope!! pictures - Please help!!

I've just finished redoing the old 3030 rifle stock and picked up a good deal on a 3-9x40 rifle scope to replace the original 4 power fogged scope. As you can see in the pictures its a bit of an odd mount that came with the gun that comes off the one side of the barrel, but it being 1" weaver figured it would work to switch it out to another 1" scope. Trouble is I cant get the mount off the old scope!!! I've tried prying it with screwdrivers and pliers in the little crack but cant get it to move enough to get off the scope. How did they install this bugger on a scope and how can I get my new one on!!?? Please help me

The first couple pictures are with the stock before sanding and redoing it.

Old 05-11-2011, 08:59 PM

Had the same mount on my .303 british, when I took the old scope off I just bent the rings open until the scope came out, when I went to bend them onto the new scope the ring split. I havent bought a new mount yet but I think they are meant to just bend open once or twice,not for changing scopes every week. I can't and couldn't see any other way to do it with that mount?
Old 05-11-2011, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardy View Post
Had the same mount on my .303 british, when I took the old scope off I just bent the rings open until the scope came out, when I went to bend them onto the new scope the ring split. I havent bought a new mount yet but I think they are meant to just bend open once or twice,not for changing scopes every week. I can't and couldn't see any other way to do it with that mount?
Yeah I bent the mounts until the scope came out ... great, now the new one wont fit into the mounts. Guess i'll have to take it to my sport shop. Think normal ring mounts will fit on this old girl?
Old 05-12-2011, 05:26 PM

Why won't your new scope fit into the rings? Or is it that you can't get the eye relief you want? I don't think regular rings will work unless you have some place that is drilled and tapped already on your rifle. Did you break your ring mount like I did? You Can purchase new ones, take a look on google for side mount rings and see what you get. Maybe even check Weavers webpage.
Old 05-13-2011, 12:32 PM

Smile

Try sliding top part from bottom forwards or backwards.

Buy cheap cry every day .

Old 05-13-2011, 08:37 PM

Get a new mount, or a different scope. By the looks of it, your bolt won't clear your scope eyepiece with your current rings and mount.
Old 05-13-2011, 09:01 PM

I brought it to my local sport shop where they put a new ring on it like the original but ran into another problem when the new scope won't adjust far enough to make up the offset of the mount. So just deciding now what to do
Old 05-14-2011, 04:19 PM

What kind of scope is it? I had a crappy bushnell 3-9X that had enough windage to make up for the offset. How bad off will it be to the right at a hundred yards?
Old 05-14-2011, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardy View Post
What kind of scope is it? I had a crappy bushnell 3-9X that had enough windage to make up for the offset. How bad off will it be to the right at a hundred yards?
Its one of those prototypes another member was selling. my sport shop said they couldnt site it into bore sighting. Does this mean if I take it to the range it still might sight it?
Old 05-14-2011, 09:12 PM

The "sport shop"probably used the wrong rings or installed it wrong. If the scope wont bore sight,the scope is not in line with the barrel. Put the rifle in a vise,take the bolt out and look down the bore. You will see where the barrel is lined up and where the scope is pointed. I've had to do that a few times at the range. Those side mounts work well if they are the right ones for the rifle and are mounted properly. Get a proper gun smith to take a look if you can't figure it out.
Old 05-15-2011, 09:26 AM
Banned

Judging by the pictures, it seems that you would have to remove the ocular lens, the rear one. Split the mount just a wee bit and slid the scope forward. If you bend it to much, it'll fatigue at the bending point and eventually break. That's it it seems that I would do it based on pictures.
Old 05-15-2011, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackonblackfx4 View Post
Its one of those prototypes another member was selling. my sport shop said they couldnt site it into bore sighting. Does this mean if I take it to the range it still might sight it?
If you take it out and actually shoot it you could see just how far to the right your bullets will be hitting from centre. Who knows maybe your gun will throw bullets to the left and you might get lucky?! If your gun ends up shooting an inch or so to the right and your not tryin any hale marry type shots then an inch to the right isn't really going to matter much on a deer.
Old 05-15-2011, 02:17 PM

Why do you need a scope on the 30/30 anyways? It's a bush gun! I say slap some iron sights on it and sell the scope! Good luck getting it figured out!

P.S- I hope the legend is still working out for you on your tikka!
Old 05-15-2011, 03:32 PM

Some of can not use open sights anymore. Even with my glasses on I can't hit a dam thing with open sights
Old 05-15-2011, 03:46 PM

phone irv at western gun parts and order the updated version of the weaver side mount fro the mod 340 savage.it has the split ring system which is much more user friendly.
Old 05-15-2011, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by custom gunworx View Post
phone irv at western gun parts and order the updated version of the weaver side mount fro the mod 340 savage.it has the split ring system which is much more user friendly.
x2....its made by b square and looks pretty good
Old 05-15-2011, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackonblackfx4 View Post
I brought it to my local sport shop where they put a new ring on it like the original but ran into another problem when the new scope won't adjust far enough to make up the offset of the mount. So just deciding now what to do
Shim the scope mount with a washer so that you end up in the middel of your adjustment.
cat
Old 05-15-2011, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowhunter9841 View Post
Why do you need a scope on the 30/30 anyways? It's a bush gun! I say slap some iron sights on it and sell the scope! Good luck getting it figured out!

P.S- I hope the legend is still working out for you on your tikka!
Haha it sure is, I went to site in today but was way to windy to try and get groupings.
Old 05-16-2011, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by custom gunworx View Post
Ordered it, she's in the mail!