Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 05-04-2010, 08:02 AM

Default NC Star for SKS = PURE CRAP! Buyer Beware

Buyer beware....I did read on this forum somewhere that NC Star is crap but I did not realize how crappy it is.

I purchased a scope mount for my sks and scope and rings as a package deal. The make and the fitment is horrible. The instructions said that there may be some "light" filing needed to fit the sks rear properly.

The welding job on the bottom mount was crooked so it jammed the bolt. Then the metal itself is cut unevenly and was very rough so it scraped the hell out of the bolt carrier.

Lastly it replaced the rear bolt cover but the pin that pushes through the rear was out almost 3-4 mm...so there is no way to redrill or file or anything to make it fit...WHAT A PIECE OF CRAP.

Can anyone suggest a decent scope mount that does not seat high? Leapers, B-square...anyone?

What were your experiences like? The scope seems ok, but I will never buy an NC Star product again.
Old 05-04-2010, 08:12 AM

I got a little NCStar holosight, mounted it, tried to adjust point of impact via the little hex head set screws, no torque involved, and the hex screws deformed/ chewed out the first time I tried. The metal was super soft in the set screws (read cheap). No more NCStar anything, pure junk.
Old 05-04-2010, 08:38 AM

Whole table full of NC Star stuff, at the Red Deer show. I bougt an M14 scope mount for 30. Way cheaper than I've seen elsewhere. Seems well enough made and appears to fit, but the mating ridges, on the back, are too large to fit the rifle.

Grizz
Old 05-04-2010, 03:08 PM

ok...went to sksman.com and piced up a couple of Choate side mounts...apparently they are the best.
Old 05-04-2010, 07:45 PM

I was greatly tempted at the Calgary Gunshow-the guys were pretty convincing and the $$ was right....got my head together and bought a Bushnell 4200 instead for 2.5 the money and it feels good, especially after reading these posts.
Old 05-04-2010, 08:20 PM

I always read the instruction manual first.....

If I see a spelling mistake, I pass.

If the guy can't spell, chances are he can't build a scope either......

My unscientific approach to prudent consumer spending.

Then again, I saw a ton of spelling mistakes in a Zeiss manual once..then I realized it was in German so....................
Old 05-04-2010, 10:37 PM

Bought a ncstarr scope, it broke first time I fired my m14. Adjustment does'nt work. POS
Old 05-05-2010, 04:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viral_override@hotmail.co View Post
ok...went to sksman.com and piced up a couple of Choate side mounts...apparently they are the best.
I have done the exact same thing.....and had the same result!!!
A waste of money is all those rear cover scope mounts are.
Instead of going with a scope this time I am trying a Williams fire sight set,also bought from sksman.
Just installed it the other day but with this weather I have not been abe to get out.
Getting hard for me to spend much more on a $250 gun.....even if its a blast to shoot!!

Last edited by madatter; 05-05-2010 at 04:43 AM.
Old 05-05-2010, 07:57 PM
Banned

NCStar atop an SKS. Like pooping on top of another pile of poop. Poop is allowed......right?
Old 05-13-2011, 09:14 PM

Default oh good

I should read before buying.......nc star scope and mount arriving on the 18th........well ill shoot her til she blows and look for something else i guess, ill keep you posted
Old 05-13-2011, 10:11 PM

I have two of those upper reciever NCS style mounts. One is NCS the other is from elsewhere. Both are OK once you fit and finish them but a real pain to fit properly.
I just bought a Choate mount which seems to be the solution but having a problem sourcing a tap and die for it. This mount cost less then $50 to your door and. Only took 3 days for me to get. If only I had the right bit and tap it would be installed
Old 05-14-2011, 06:19 AM

funny how we all get tempted by the low $$ on these poor quality scopes...some sales guys do a great job, that is until you get to the range or bush and find how poor the optics are. I have been there, owned a couple of Leapers etc....I am saving my pennies and not wasting them on poor quality optics. Scopes like Vortex, Redfield and Bushnell are the way to go as well as the high quality scope brands.
buyer beware, we should all know better....
Old 05-14-2011, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooter55 View Post
funny how we all get tempted by the low $$ on these poor quality scopes...some sales guys do a great job, that is until you get to the range or bush and find how poor the optics are. I have been there, owned a couple of Leapers etc....I am saving my pennies and not wasting them on poor quality optics. Scopes like Vortex, Redfield and Bushnell are the way to go as well as the high quality scope brands.
buyer beware, we should all know better....
X2...You get what you pay for. And when you get really cheap you don't even get that. Optics and their mounting systems are the LAST thing to cheap out on. I would rather shoot a gun with open sights than with junk glass on the top. I think the chinese crap is more for looks or the airsoft crowd!!
Old 05-14-2011, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viral_override@hotmail.co View Post
Buyer beware....I did read on this forum somewhere that NC Star is crap but I did not realize how crappy it is.

I purchased a scope mount for my sks and scope and rings as a package deal. The make and the fitment is horrible. The instructions said that there may be some "light" filing needed to fit the sks rear properly.

The welding job on the bottom mount was crooked so it jammed the bolt. Then the metal itself is cut unevenly and was very rough so it scraped the hell out of the bolt carrier.

Lastly it replaced the rear bolt cover but the pin that pushes through the rear was out almost 3-4 mm...so there is no way to redrill or file or anything to make it fit...WHAT A PIECE OF CRAP.

Can anyone suggest a decent scope mount that does not seat high? Leapers, B-square...anyone?

What were your experiences like? The scope seems ok, but I will never buy an NC Star product again.
Yes, I purchace the tri-mount for SKS. Had to do a little work with the File although had to perform the same work with other makes to make them fit. If one wants a drop in product, one will have to pay for it. They are produced a little large to fit on all SKSs' which are not all exactly the same. Have you ever found two rifles of the ame cal. that had exactly the same head space? It helps to be a little handy and the instructions either that came with the mount or online made mention of what may or may not have to be done to fit.
Old 05-17-2011, 09:59 PM

Default here we go

Ok, the mount came.....the scope looks ok, but the fit was nasty. The bolt carrier does tend to jam, so i will have to pull it apart and dremmel the weld i guess. The receiver cover hole was unfinished in that it seemed to taper and I could only get the pin 1/2 way through until i dropped a bit trough it and cleaned it out. there appeared to be a dolop of weld in the middle of the thing!!!!!! I really DO NOT recomend this mount to anyone who doesnt have a few tools kicking around, and dont worry about wasting a bit of money if you blow it! I'll let y'all know how it shoots later lads. Cheers