Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-23-2015, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild&Free View Post
that question is a logical fallacy.
Not really, seeing as that's pretty much what you're claiming it'll do for farms.
Old 11-23-2015, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt L. View Post
Nice dodge.
How's that a dodge, right now its legal for kids to operate heavy machinery on a farm unsupervised. Do you think thats ok?
Old 11-23-2015, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Not really, seeing as that's pretty much what you're claiming it'll do for farms.
No one is saying it'll stop all injuries/deaths, but it should decrease the amount were seeing.
Old 11-23-2015, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
How's that a dodge, right now its legal for kids to operate heavy machinery on a farm unsupervised. Do you think thats ok?
How about you respond to what was actually in his post that you quoted?
Old 11-23-2015, 11:40 PM

Quote:
How about you respond to what was actually in his post that you quoted?
I did. It would be up to each individual farm to say how they were going to deal with training. It would be part of their safety program. All OH&S does is bring you up to a standard. If you want to go above that you can and a lot of companies do. People are really making a way bigger deal out of this then they need to, its not like its new legislation, every other province has it and doesn't need to send people for roping certificates.
Old 11-23-2015, 11:44 PM

Who sets the friggin standard? Some office type who's never seen a horse or cow or tractor before in their life? Go back to your union railroad, you have no clue.
Old 11-23-2015, 11:55 PM

Quote:
OK simple question. Without knowing the person or their level of maturity, what blanket age should someone be able to operate a quad, a bobcat, a horse, or a tricycle? Also how close to beehives would my two year be allowed to approach? I grew up around all sort of potential paperwork and safety meetings came down to dad telling us to use common sense and stay away from the dugout etc. Same thing with my friends and guess what we all lived! I have known other kids who died in car crashes mostly because of doing stupid or illegal things. What kind of bs forms should they have filled out before leaving the house would have kept them alive?
Old 11-23-2015, 11:55 PM

Quote:
I have made no claims in this thread, beyond the logical fallacy one anyways.

We learn from history that we do not learn from history. - Hegel

Your obligation to fight has not been relieved because the battle is fierce and difficult. Ben Shapiro
Old 11-24-2015, 01:16 AM

Quote:
There are lots of kids in alberta that are more qualified to run equipment than most adults.

The government has no place dictating how old a kid has to be to operate equipment on a family farm. These kids grew up around this equipment as it is part of there everyday life.

What's next, the government dictating how old a kid has to be to cook his own KD?
Old 11-24-2015, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcbride View Post
There are lots of kids in alberta that are more qualified to run equipment than most adults.

The government has no place dictating how old a kid has to be to operate equipment on a family farm. These kids grew up around this equipment as it is part of there everyday life.

What's next, the government dictating how old a kid has to be to cook his own KD?
http://youtu.be/4axRTnOh-5Q
Old 11-24-2015, 01:37 AM

^ cute lil bugger.
Old 11-24-2015, 06:27 AM

Default Fines

It seems a given a ten year old driving a rear steer fork lift might be a hazard .

Or kids climbing into a grain box......

But what about hard hat use. Impact resistant gloves.....

The paper trail of hazard id's, driver files of qualifications , drivers abstracts , competency sign offs, ice cleats on boots, branding cattle and it's smoky, pen checking and having to run on snow and ice, climbing the combine for repairs above 6 feet, climbing the grain bin with fall arrest equipment , vehicle files ensuring maintenance ....

Ever see the charges and fines for anyone with a work place accident ?

Sole proprietor ? Liability?

It all has a cost .

I could care less , but I will pass my extra cost onto my urban customers .

That's life too. That's business.

Food for thought in this democracy .

Now I have to go do a walk around and tail gate meeting ........
Old 11-24-2015, 06:39 AM

Nanny state is a term of British origin that conveys a view that a government or its policies are overprotective or interfering unduly with personal choice.[1] The term "nanny state" likens government to the role that a nanny has in child rearing
I think the moral is: - (1) if you treat people as idiots they eventually forget how to fend for themselves (the nanny state syndrome

Come on boys, this is all that characters such as Raab and his ilk are after.....they just want Alberta to be the perfect nanny state
Old 11-24-2015, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild&Free View Post
I have made no claims in this thread, beyond the logical fallacy one anyways.
Sorry, mistook that for another raab post.
Old 11-24-2015, 06:57 AM

Quote:
right now its legal for kids to operate heavy machinery on a farm unsupervised. Do you think thats ok?
You're confusing farm kids with city kids.

You also obviously want to make it illegal for farm kids to be farm kids....typical urban liberal. Know nothing about anything but think you should be able to dictate to those who actually know what they're doing.

Worry about your own kids. Farm kids do just fine.
Old 11-24-2015, 07:24 AM

It seems that all the dippers meetings about the new rules are full. Lots of people on the farm boards that can't get in to voice their opinions. It's my gut feeling that raab and his buddies are about to find out what massive civil disobedience is all about. Get off my farm!

"I find it interesting that some folk will pay to use a range, use a golf course, use a garage bay but think landowners should have to give permission for free. Do these same people think hookers should be treated like landowners?" pitw
Old 11-24-2015, 08:01 AM

there are only two meeting in alberta with 200 rsvp seat all full and 40000 farmers large and small how do we voice common sense legislation that will work for all farms small and large. I run my small farm and work casual for a large farm .As legislation reads now I can't have friends over to help me brand and vaccinated my calves and cows as one person can't do it alone . there is no common sense
Old 11-24-2015, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbillyreefer View Post
It seems that all the dippers meetings about the new rules are full. Lots of people on the farm boards that can't get in to voice their opinions. It's my gut feeling that raab and his buddies are about to find out what massive civil disobedience is all about. Get off my farm!
Yea good luck with the civil disobedience. As stated everywhere else in Canada already has this legislation it'll be here sooner or later.
Old 11-24-2015, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suka View Post
You're confusing farm kids with city kids.

You also obviously want to make it illegal for farm kids to be farm kids....typical urban liberal. Know nothing about anything but think you should be able to dictate to those who actually know what they're doing.

Worry about your own kids. Farm kids do just fine.
I grew up on a farm as I said. But I still haven't a heard a good justification for why a 10 year old should be allowed to operate a forklift when in any other industry they'd be at least 16 and have an operators ticket?
Old 11-24-2015, 09:06 AM

Quote:
I grew up on a farm as I said. But I still haven't a heard a good justification for why a 10 year old should be allowed to operate a forklift when in any other industry they'd be at least 16 and have an operators ticket?
You haven't showed me a good reason that a ten year old shouldn't drive forklift in any industry. I'd sooner train a kid from birth than try and train a 16 year old any day.
Old 11-24-2015, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitw View Post
You haven't showed me a good reason that a ten year old shouldn't drive forklift in any industry. I'd sooner train a kid from birth than try and train a 16 year old any day.
And we wonder why we need legislation. Common sense isn't common and you guys are just hurting your case.
Old 11-24-2015, 09:14 AM
Banned

Quote:
I grew up on a farm as I said.
You were born and raised on a farm in Alberta?

Ya, sure you were
Old 11-24-2015, 09:20 AM

Farmers band together!

Let's see if Ms Snotley actually listens to Albertans. Stop Bill 6

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=272385
Old 11-24-2015, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy_davey View Post
You were born and raised on a farm in Alberta?

Ya, sure you were
Who said I was raised in Alberta? Like most of the people in Alberta I wasn't born here. If you think it's fine to have backwards thinking and not identify safety risks whatever that's your problem. This isn't groundbreaking legislation when the rest of Canada already has it so farmers should prepare to adapt to the new legislation instead of pounding the liberty drum. This isn't being brought in to effect your liberty, it's being brought in to protect your workers.
Old 11-24-2015, 09:35 AM
Banned

Quote:
Who said I was raised in Alberta? Like most of the people in Alberta I wasn't born here.
I should have known.

Let me guess, a sheep farm in Ontario, that would actually make a lot of sense... You have probably never been around a real farm or ranch in your whole young life.
Old 11-24-2015, 09:43 AM

Quote:
I should have known.

Let me guess, a sheep farm in Ontario, that would actually make a lot of sense... You have probably never been around a real farm or ranch in your whole young life.
Cattle farm big enough that I could drive cars through the pasture growing up. What's a real farm or ranch by your definition? Are small to medium operations not real farms now?
Old 11-24-2015, 09:46 AM

Quote:
And we wonder why we need legislation. Common sense isn't common and you guys are just hurting your case.
You are aroused by the prospects of having power over others aren't you?

Now that we are starting to push back against your power grab you are starting to hint at ways we will be punished for disobedience.

"I find it interesting that some folk will pay to use a range, use a golf course, use a garage bay but think landowners should have to give permission for free. Do these same people think hookers should be treated like landowners?" pitw
Old 11-24-2015, 09:49 AM
Banned

Quote:
Cattle farm big enough that I could drive cars through the pasture growing up.
So why move to Alberta then, when your family had such a big cattle farm?
Old 11-24-2015, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbillyreefer View Post
You are aroused by the prospects of having power over others aren't you?

Now that we are starting to push back against your power grab you are starting to hint at ways we will be punished for disobedience.
Listen, I'm not making anything off this and get no control over other people. I'm an advocate for public safety and would prefer not to hear of farming deaths every month on the radio. You seem content to keep the status quo and let people die. O well maybe I shouldnt care if the OH&S legislation doesnt pass it won't be my kids/workers effected.
Old 11-24-2015, 10:02 AM

Quote:
So why move to Alberta then, when your family had such a big cattle farm?
I never said it was big. Hard to make money on a small cattle farm back east where there's no good jobs to help out with the bills. My dad moved west for a better career, and couldn't afford farm land out here at the time.