Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-24-2024, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
I thought they played great! Hopefully they keep it up.
Much better today!

Great game. And what a difference a solid goaltending brings to the overall quality of the game and “watchability”. Great conference finals so far.

Rangers have a n edge in goaltending, imo.
Old 05-25-2024, 08:28 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Good hard hitting hockey!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 05-26-2024, 04:53 PM

Florida cannot get a break. But that is why goaltending is so important. Imagine them playing the Oilers. Oilers likely wouldn’t stand a chance, in my opinion.

Old 05-26-2024, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnguy View Post
Florida cannot get a break. But that is why goaltending is so important. Imagine them playing the Oilers. Oilers likely wouldn’t stand a chance, in my opinion.

Great effort to get it to OT , just look at the ranger blocked shots
Old 05-26-2024, 06:33 PM

The better team in that game did not win.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 05-26-2024, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
The better team in that game did not win.
Agreed. I feel the better goalie did.
Old 05-26-2024, 09:30 PM

Quote:
But he is part of the team though.

Florida had 108 attempted shots vs New York’s 44, lol. They had 41 in the third alone. But it is only goals that matter.

New York looks out of gas.
Old 05-27-2024, 07:10 AM

That’s why the playoffs are built this way.
Play through everything and get the win!
That’s all that matters.

Old 05-27-2024, 07:43 AM

Quote:
And the goal tender is a key part of the team. To win a Stanley Cup you need a goal tender to steal a game or two for you.
Old 05-28-2024, 11:43 AM

Good goaltending is hard to find nowadays. It’s not about only goaltending though. Consider Dallas. Only one forward played more than 18 minutes in yesterday’s game and that was only by 14 seconds. Seguin played on all four lines and was still under 18 minutes of play. Tyler from the first line and Dadonov from the fourth are especially a strong “coupling”, imo. Through out the game, I heard Dadonov’s name more than any other player’s, except for the goaltenders, yet the guy only played just over 10 minutes (I couldn’t believe it when I looked at the stats). One forward in the Stars’ line ups played less than 10 minutes.

What about Oilers? They had 5 forwards spending more than 18 minutes on ice. Three played for less than 10. There is a clear distinction between the group that averages about 20 minutes on ice and the rest that average about 12 or so. Dallas doesn’t have such a thing. They average about 15 minutes of ice time per forward. There are 9 “minus” players on the Oilers. Da best defensemen Nurse is a whooping minus twelve! Ceci is minus 7, Desharnais is minus 8. Dallas only has 3 “minus” players. The worst are two forwards sitting at minus 2. The third is another forward with minus one. They don’t have defensemen below zero. And so on.

Goaltending? Well… Let’s just say that Orttinger let in a couple of goals on the first few shots and ended the game with 0.933 saves percentage. Skinner didn’t allow a goal on the first 11 or 12 or so shots and ended the game with 0.810 saves percentage. Is it all on him? Nope, but the difference is obvious. The whole team breaks down once being pressured and thus three-goal leads, even in the third, do not win games for them. Also, the best power play team in the league is yet to score a goal on man-advantage against Dallas and I think they are zero for the last 6 or 7. Cup time, baby? Maybe for Dallas, but definitely not for the Oilers.
Old 05-28-2024, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Good goaltending is hard to find nowadays. It’s not about only goaltending though. Consider Dallas. Only one forward played more than 18 minutes in yesterday’s game and that was only by 14 seconds. Seguin played on all four lines and was still under 18 minutes of play. Tyler from the first line and Dadonov from the fourth are especially a strong “coupling”, imo. Through out the game, I heard Dadonov’s name more than any other player’s, except for the goaltenders, yet the guy only played just over 10 minutes (I couldn’t believe it when I looked at the stats). One forward in the Stars’ line ups played less than 10 minutes.

What about Oilers? They had 5 forwards spending more than 18 minutes on ice. Three played for less than 10. There is a clear distinction between the group that averages about 20 minutes on ice and the rest that average about 12 or so. Dallas doesn’t have such a thing. They average about 15 minutes of ice time per forward.
I wondered if that's why Edmonton has a tendency to come out strong in the 1st, build up a lead, dominate in shots, etc., then slowly regress throughout the game. Yesterday was a prime example of that. Their top guys just getting tired as the game progresses? Robertson's TOI was less than 17 minutes.
Old 05-28-2024, 02:38 PM

Quote:
I wondered if that's why Edmonton has a tendency to come out strong in the 1st, build up a lead, dominate in shots, etc., then slowly regress throughout the game. Yesterday was a prime example of that. Their top guys just getting tired as the game progresses? Robertson's TOI was less than 17 minutes.
I agree. Oilers get into trouble when they overwork their top line. Just role all four lines.your 3rd and 4th lines don’t get better watching the game from the sidelines.

Except Nurse, bench that guy and put a pilon out in his place .
Old 05-28-2024, 07:03 PM

So far, Rangers look like they really mean business. Fantastic power plays. I am guessing Florida will come back strong in the second; if not, however, they will be packing it to New York being down three games to one.
Old 05-28-2024, 08:20 PM

Just like the 2nd round of the NHL playoffs, the 3rd round is the best of 7.

"Toe da so" - Ricky, Trailer Park Boys
Old 05-28-2024, 09:28 PM

The better team won tonight. It really should be a 3-1 series, but best of three now.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 05-29-2024, 07:53 AM

New Yorks tendy is holding the fort for sure!

Old 05-29-2024, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
And the goal tender is a key part of the team. To win a Stanley Cup you need a goal tender to steal a game or two for you.
You are absolutely right. I have said this countless times.
Old 05-29-2024, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AI 6.5 View Post
You are absolutely right. I have said this countless times.
Over and over and over….
Old 05-29-2024, 10:53 AM

If you don’t have a great goalie, you better excel in the other departments.
If you have a great goalie, mediocrity can carry you forward.
If you have a great goalie and great team ahead of him, lookout!
For the oilers to do so good in the reg season, and now playing in the final 4 of the playoffs, and to what some here are claiming as the one of the worst goaltending in the league…..they must be the best team in the league bar none with the exception of the goaltending……fair to say?
Cmon say it……..
Old 05-29-2024, 04:26 PM

I was reading a bit about the game tonight, and one thing that really stood out was the two team's 3rd line.

On the Oilers we have: Brown-Henrique-Perry

On Dallas we have:Benn-Johnston-Stankoven

I was curious, as that seemed like a fairly mismatched 3rd line, so thought I'd compare the points. Dallas's 3rd line has combined for 34 pts while Edmonton's has combined for 6. Well, that's pretty lopsided, but, to be fair, Henrique has missed some games, so, for a points per game comparison, it's 0.78 pt/g for Dallas vs 0.23 for Edmonton.

A fairly serious mismatch with Dallas's 3rd line putting up just over 3x the number of points. Can Edmonton's top line counter that.... at 1.29 pts/game for Edm vs 0.82 for Dallas, it seems that they can, or close enough anyway.
Old 05-29-2024, 04:56 PM

Remember Last year when Boston was supposed to have a cake walk right to the Stanley Cup presentation. Many figured playing the games was just a formality.
Old 05-29-2024, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
If you don’t have a great goalie, you better excel in the other departments.
If you have a great goalie, mediocrity can carry you forward.
If you have a great goalie and great team ahead of him, lookout!
For the oilers to do so good in the reg season, and now playing in the final 4 of the playoffs, and to what some here are claiming as the one of the worst goaltending in the league…..they must be the best team in the league bar none with the exception of the goaltending……fair to say?
Cmon say it……..
They are a good team. Bar none is obviously a (long) stretch. For example, I don’t think they would go through Vegas and I doubt they would go through the Avs. They barely got through Vancouver and the latter was missing their goalie (and other players). There are teams on the eastern side that would likely have a field day with the Oilers (Carolina, for instance). But yes, they are one of the best teams in the league. It would be weird to argue they aren’t. Provided a good goaltending, I think they would be the number one Cup contender and I would be the first to say it. If there were goalies available, I would dump Nurse and get a good goalie instead. I doubt there would be any takers for Nurse though, unless they keep paying his salary, lol.

Quote:
I was reading a bit about the game tonight, and one thing that really stood out was the two team's 3rd line.

On the Oilers we have: Brown-Henrique-Perry

On Dallas we have:Benn-Johnston-Stankoven

I was curious, as that seemed like a fairly mismatched 3rd line, so thought I'd compare the points. Dallas's 3rd line has combined for 34 pts while Edmonton's has combined for 6. Well, that's pretty lopsided, but, to be fair, Henrique has missed some games, so, for a points per game comparison, it's 0.78 pt/g for Dallas vs 0.23 for Edmonton.

A fairly serious mismatch with Dallas's 3rd line putting up just over 3x the number of points. Can Edmonton's top line counter that.... at 1.29 pts/game for Edm vs 0.82 for Dallas, it seems that they can, or close enough anyway.
That goes along with what I was saying previously (and to which you added). Dallas probably has more depth and balance than any other team, which is why they can move their players around the lines without “breaking” their game. Many others need to play their top lines until they can hardly move in order to tie the game or get a lead (which is exactly what Oilers do every game). And that extra shift or a few of extended shifts add quite a bit to their ice time. They can also put their bottom line against the opponent’s first and do just fine. They can also play most of their guys on both, power play and penalty kill. At the same time, that flexibility allows them to have a player spend more time on ice if necessary, double or even triple shift on other lines (Dadonov had a shift of well over two minutes the last game at even strength).

Not sure if anyone noticed when watching the Rangers-Panthers game yesterday, but quite a few top line guys on both teams were dragging their feet to the bench when changing and showing a good amount of exhaustion.
Old 05-29-2024, 06:55 PM

Also, lol, speaking of… just turned on the game.

Edit: it was 1 nil Dallas when I turned it on. It is 2 a piece now.

Last edited by fishnguy; 05-29-2024 at 07:18 PM.
Old 05-29-2024, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Also, lol, speaking of… just turned on the game.

Edit: it was 1 nil Dallas when I turned it on. It is 2 a piece now.
Might as well give pickers a shot in net , can’t do any worst then those 2 weak goals on 6 shots …
Old 05-29-2024, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishtank View Post
Might as well give pickers a shot in net , can’t do any worst then those 2 weak goals on 6 shots …
I am only assuming that they know something we don’t. Otheriwse, I have no idea why he isn’t given more chances.
Old 05-29-2024, 09:14 PM

Quote:
I am only assuming that they know something we don’t. Otheriwse, I have no idea why he isn’t given more chances.
Dallas scores 2 on 6 shots and Edmonton score 5 , does that mean Dallas still wins because Skinner let in the first 2? Asking for a friend .
Old 05-29-2024, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleboy View Post
Dallas scores 2 on 6 shots and Edmonton score 5 , does that mean Dallas still wins because Skinner let in the first 2? Asking for a friend .
Lol
Old 05-29-2024, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishtank View Post
I'm glad you are not affiliated with the oilers in any way shape or form.

Old 05-29-2024, 10:24 PM

Quote:
They are a good team. Bar none is obviously a (long) stretch. For example, I don’t think they would go through Vegas and I doubt they would go through the Avs. They barely got through Vancouver and the latter was missing their goalie (and other players). There are teams on the eastern side that would likely have a field day with the Oilers (Carolina, for instance). But yes, they are one of the best teams in the league. It would be weird to argue they aren’t. Provided a good goaltending, I think they would be the number one Cup contender and I would be the first to say it. If there were goalies available, I would dump Nurse and get a good goalie instead. I doubt there would be any takers for Nurse though, unless they keep paying his salary, lol.

Well…… last year they went to conference finals, and lost out to the Stanley cup champs…… and gave the champs a harder fight than any other team…… and honestly the oilers are a considerably better team this year than last year…..so who knows how things would play out…..never know with hockey
Old 05-29-2024, 10:49 PM

Quote:
I'm glad you are not affiliated with the oilers in any way shape or form.