Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 07-05-2015, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expmler View Post
I would say the point is valid. Isn't that why it is illegal to shoot down a roadway?
It isn't illegal to shoot down all roads. It's illegal to shoot down most maintained roads, because there is a good chance that there might be a vehicle on the roadway. A road allowance isn't a roadway, and it isn't maintained. In many cases you couldn't even drive a highway vehicle down the road allowance.

Quote:
It's valid. Hunting a narrow strip your shot is going to be down that narrow strip. Unless you are poaching into the adjacent quarter.
Should it be illegal to hunt on a cut line? Most shots on cut lines are taken down a narrow strip.

Last edited by elkhunter11; 07-05-2015 at 05:25 PM.
Old 07-05-2015, 05:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
It's valid. Hunting a narrow strip your shot is going to be down that narrow strip. Unless you are poaching into the adjacent quarter.
Then go hunt where it is safe, don't tell me I can't hunt on my land! Are you going to stop people from hunting lease roads, pipelines, seismic lines, and a million other straight line situations? Or are you going to make a few greedy farmers and their politicians happy at hunters expense?
Old 07-05-2015, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
It isn't illegal to shoot down all roads. It's illegal to shoot down most maintained roads, because there is a good chance that there might be a vehicle on the roadway. A road allowance isn't a roadway, and it isn't maintained. In many cases you couldn't even drive a highway vehicle down the road allowance.

Should it be illegal to hunt on a cut line? Most shots on cut lines are taken down a narrow strip.
99% of cut lines are surrounded by crown land. Most road allowances are surrounded by private land. When you shoot an animal on a cut line, unless it drops on the spot, head for the bush. If it were a road allowance it would most likely be heading off the road and onto private land. I have no problem with people hunting road allowances if surrounded by crown..... Which seems to be far and few between.
Old 07-05-2015, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicecurr View Post
Then go hunt where it is safe, don't tell me I can't hunt on my land! Are you going to stop people from hunting lease roads, pipelines, seismic lines, and a million other straight line situations? Or are you going to make a few greedy farmers and their politicians happy at hunters expense?
You can't hunt on your own land. I said so.
He still made a valid point.
Old 07-05-2015, 05:40 PM

Quote:
99% of cut lines are surrounded by crown land. Most road allowances are surrounded by private land. When you shoot an animal on a cut line, unless it drops on the spot, head for the bush. If it were a road allowance it would most likely be heading off the road and onto private land. I have no problem with people hunting road allowances if surrounded by crown..... Which seems to be far and few between.
Your post mentions nothing about safety, which was what we were talking about.
Old 07-05-2015, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Your post mentions nothing about safety, which was what we were talking about.
Would you say that my last post quoting you is "valid". Be honest.
Old 07-05-2015, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Would you say that my last post quoting you is "valid". Be honest.
Not as far as the supposed safety issue presented with hunting on road allowances is concerned it isn't.
Old 07-05-2015, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Not as far as the supposed safety issue presented with hunting on road allowances is concerned it isn't.
Wasn't what I asked you.
Old 07-05-2015, 05:50 PM
Banned

Quote:

Why limit it to a highway vehicle, what about farm equipment, atv, snowmobile traveling on the road allowance?

If you don't have permission on the land adjacent to a cutline it should be illegal to hunt that cutline.
Old 07-05-2015, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Wasn't what I asked you.
You stated that Tbark's post was valid. His post was 100% about safety, yet you are trying to steer the conversation away from safety.

From TBarks's post

Quote:
This is a safety issue not a right to hunt issue IMO.

Quote:
Why limit it to a highway vehicle, what about farm equipment, atv, snowmobile traveling on the road allowance?

If you don't have permission on the land adjacent to a cutline it should be illegal to hunt that cutline.
It's perfectly legal to shoot across most unmaintained roads, as as well as certain other roads that farm equipment, atv, or snowmobiles, or cars or trucks could be traveling down. Are you against people hunting along those roads as well?

As far as snowmobiles and atvs are concerned, they often travel down cutlines, should it be illegal to hunt along cut ines as well?

Last edited by elkhunter11; 07-05-2015 at 05:58 PM.
Old 07-05-2015, 06:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
You stated that Tbark's post was valid. His post was 100% about safety, yet you are trying to steer the conversation away from safety.

From TBarks's post

It's perfectly legal to shoot across most unmaintained roads, as as well as certain other roads that farm equipment, atv, or snowmobiles, or cars or trucks could be traveling down. Are you against people hunting along those roads as well?

As far as snowmobiles and atvs are concerned, they often travel down cutlines, should it be illegal to hunt along cut ines as well?
Not legal to shoot without permission from the adjacent landowner in either circumstance.

Why should URAs be any different?
Old 07-05-2015, 06:25 PM

Quote:

From TBarks's post

Ok. It's not a safety issue. Now answer my first question to you. Is what I said valid?
Old 07-05-2015, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Ok. It's not a safety issue. Now answer my first question to you. Is what I said valid?
Being that you now admit that it's not a safety issue after your post #270 claimed that TBarks post #267 about it being a safety issue was valid, then by your own admission, your post #270 is definitely not valid.
Old 07-05-2015, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Being that you now admit that it's not a safety issue after your post #270 claimed that TBarks post about it being a safety issue was valid, then by your own admission, your post #270 is not valid.
I guess I'll just be the bigger man here and leave it at that since you refuse to answer the question. I don't blame you. Lots of people reading this.
Old 07-05-2015, 06:49 PM

And by the way, it's still valid if you compare 2 men hunting a mountain side and 2 men hunting a line.... Odds are a lot greater the men on the line will be more prone to be in the line of sight and beyond than the 2 men zig zagging around a mountain side. But you won't admit that, just same way you won't admit or acknowledge post 273 on it's validity when asked... Good night sir.
Old 07-05-2015, 06:55 PM

Quote:
I guess I'll just be the bigger man here and leave it at that since you refuse to answer the question. I don't blame you. Lots of people reading this.
You supported the argument that it was a safety issue, and now you admit that it really isn't a safety issue after all. That doesn't make you the bigger man. Confused man perhaps, but not the bigger man.

As I posted previously, I wouldn't hunt on a road allowance surrounded by private land, unless I had permission to hunt on the private land, because I won't risk the headache that could result if an animal dies on private property after being shot on the road allowance. However, I still support the fact that a public road allowance is public land, and that the landowners should not be able to deny the public the use of that land.
Old 07-05-2015, 07:23 PM

You have to love it hunt don’t hunt this thread is a true bundle of laughs “For me “keep going everyone I know now everyone is an expert on how to hunt I get it now Lolo.Thanks

Last edited by last minute; 07-05-2015 at 07:28 PM.
Old 07-05-2015, 07:42 PM

What is the gist of this conversation ? ...public access to "road allowances" or general hunting on public roadways i.e numbered and/or regularily maintained. One is legal, the other is not. It's a personal judgement call to shoot on public road allowances as there are no laws forbidding it, unless they are legally posted. Not a good plan to do so adjacent to private land, but legal- safety notwithstanding.
What I see are attempts by some land occupants to shut down public access to Road Allowances.. utter BS imho. Just for kicks, check out the Motor Vehicle Act and see what is described as a highway in Alberta.. from what I see it's darn near any thing you can put wheels on, including Crown land cutlines. If this road allowance thingy gets traction maybe it's just a matter of time and they will shut it all down to motorized vehicles.
Old 07-06-2015, 11:19 AM

From what I have read in the last week about URA has made up my mind for this year no permission for anyone because is seems to be to many bad apples out there to trust anyone
Old 07-06-2015, 11:27 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDK71 View Post
From what I have read in the last week about URA has made up my mind for this year no permission for anyone because is seems to be to many bad apples out there to trust anyone
oh good.. next thing you know we wont be able to hunt on our own land... oh.. wait, that just kind of happened..
Old 07-06-2015, 11:41 AM

if you cant trust people why would you let them hunt and if people keep trespassing on private land by accessing the private land by a URA then I hope they do close all hunting on URA
Old 07-06-2015, 11:55 AM

Quote:
if you cant trust people why would you let them hunt and if people keep trespassing on private land by accessing the private land by a URA then I hope they do close all hunting on URA
So if people are using a quarter of crown land to access private land that they are trespassing on, I suppose that you will want to shut down hunting on that quarter of crown land?
Old 07-06-2015, 12:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
So if people are using a quarter of crown land to access private land that they are trespassing on, I suppose that you will want to shut down hunting on that quarter of crown land?
i heard someone once poached an animal on crown land. that's as good a reason as any to shut down all hunting and fishing on all crown land
Old 07-06-2015, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Why don't you find some people that you can trust? Help watch your land?

Do you actually think that by banning hunting on a URA that it is going to stop people from trespassing? Just because no hunting would be allowed on the URA does not mean people can't legally access the URA and then trespass.
Old 07-06-2015, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish_e_o View Post
i heard someone once poached an animal on crown land. that's as good a reason as any to shut down all hunting and fishing on all crown land

Quote:
Do you actually think that by banning hunting on a URA that it is going to stop people from trespassing? Just because no hunting would be allowed on the URA does not mean people can't legally access the URA and then trespass.
Exactly, deal with the trespassers, instead of bringing in more stupid laws. That is the kind of nonsense that resulted in the stupid firearms regulations that are now in effect.
Old 07-06-2015, 12:15 PM

Wow..what a convoluted circle jerk.

It's really too bad that the Redhead mainly responsible for ticking off the landowner that initiated this whole legislative discussion has been banned from this site. I would love to hear his opinion on the matter....

Brass Tax guys....

A couple of bad apples, one in particular, is spoiling the pie.

Shall we continue to throw away the pies or the bad apples....

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 07-06-2015, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcbride View Post
Why don't you find some people that you can trust? Help watch your land?

yes because they would have no reason to trespass if they are just going for a walk
Old 07-06-2015, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish_e_o View Post
you are a funny guy you should maybe be more worried about all the damage being done out west by logging
Old 07-06-2015, 12:23 PM

Quote:
yes because they would have no reason to trespass if they are just going for a walk
People going for walks or atv/snowmobile rides trespass all the time.
Old 07-06-2015, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Yep, and the poachers, trespassers will just claim they are going for a walk.