Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-24-2011, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by npbra View Post
I have never seen so many tin hat people in one thread in my entire life! Get a life people and quite bitching about something you know nothing about. Are your life's that pathetic that all you can do is come up with conspiracy theories? The only safes being opened are ones that have been destroyed in the completely destroyed buildings, not ones in standing homes. Safes that have been opened have nothing of value in them, any metal is a puddle and all paperwork is gone, meaning valuable papers, money, passports etc. Why does every action done by people who are putting their own life on hold to assist a community in need have to become the next great conspiracy?
Is a completely destroyed safe that resulted from a fire not a mass of melted steel? What can possibly be dangerous about that? I would prefer to open or at least visually inspect my property before some well paid civil servant was allowed to dispose of it.

We have the utmost respect for the volunteers, and firefighters. It's the people making arbitrary decisions to confiscate private property that are the problem. The minions carrying out those orders are also part of the problem.

"I find it interesting that some folk will pay to use a range, use a golf course, use a garage bay but think landowners should have to give permission for free. Do these same people think hookers should be treated like landowners?" pitw
Old 05-24-2011, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
There are several people from SLave Lake on this forum that have contributed to this thread that are not happy with the way the blockade and cleanup is being handled, so maybe you should find out the context of the thread before you jump on everyone yet again.
The only people's life's on hold are the ones that lost everything, for everyone else it is business as usual, with a house to go home to at the end of the day/week/shift.
Besides, unless you are on site for every single inspection, how do you know everything about every safe and residence searched? This topic goes far beyond this single forum, it is all over the net.
Exactly....you summed it up quite well.
Old 05-25-2011, 06:18 PM

Default Awesome news for residents

Workers considered essential to getting Slave Lake operational are being moved back with their families into the fire-ravaged town.

The rest of the evacuees could start returning in days, possibly as soon as the weekend, said one municipal official.

It's part of a staged re-entry plan announced Wednesday to get evacuees back into their homes.

“I must stress that we are still under a state of local emergency and this is not a general call for people to return to our community," said Mayor Karina Pillay-Kinnee. "We still have a tremendous amount of work to do between now and then.”

All 7,000 residents fled the town on May 15, just moments before a raging wildfire blazed through Slave Lake, levelling about a third of the homes and businesses.

The plan consists of four phases.

The first — the recovery of critical infrastructure — is complete. That means power, telephone service and natural gas are fully restored to all areas not damaged by fire. Water service is also restored, though a boil order is still in effect.

Police and fire services have also been restored.

The second phase — staffing of essential services — is under way. Essential service workers include health-care providers, utility personnel, protective and fire service personnel, and local government and community officials.

The third phase is to get key businesses reopened, with the final stage bringing all evacuees home.

“You cannot underestimate the level of detail and necessary checks that are needed to begin the re-entry process,” said Alberta Municipal Affairs Minister Hector Goudreau. “The phased-in approach allows us to ensure that the appropriate level of support is ready and available for the safe return of residents to their community.”

Over the past two days, 163 residents toured the remains of their burned out neighbourhoods on buses provided by the town, but a lack of further interest cancelled more tours.

Evacuees who have lost their homes are being moved out of shelters and into temporary housing.

Provincial housing officials with help from rental companies and post-secondary education institutions have accumulated an inventory of about 1,400 housing units for evacuees.

The province also issued financial assistance cheques — one-time payments of $1,250 for each adult and $500 for each child — to about 9,700 people since Friday.

Meanwhile, the fire situation across the province continues to improve as rain and humidity helps the 2,000 firefighters.

As of late Tuesday, 43 fires were burning across Alberta, four considered out of control.

Since the start of April, Alberta has recorded approximately 511wildfires, which have burned more than 3,300 square kilometres.

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/slave-lake-...164128938.html
Old 05-25-2011, 06:47 PM

All 7,000 residents fled the town on May 15

The province also issued financial assistance cheques — one-time payments of $1,250 for each adult and $500 for each child — to about 9,700 people since Friday.

I dont really understand the above statements. 7000 residents left, but 9700 people have been issued cheques?
Old 05-25-2011, 08:33 PM

Maybe they are including Widewater, Canyon Creek ect. ect. in the total of people in the area.
Old 05-25-2011, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbiddy View Post

I dont really understand the above statements. 7000 residents left, but 9700 people have been issued cheques?
Gift Lake and Whitefish received $1,250 I believe.
Sittin' here waitin' on a deer, drinkin' beer and wastin' bullets, Aimin' at the empties, missin' hittin' pine trees, It ain't my fault them cans keep movin', My baby's on the phone sayin' baby come home, Where you been and What you've been doin', We'll I've been, sittin' here, waitin' on a deer
Drinkin' beer and wastin' bullets
Old 05-26-2011, 05:44 PM
Banned

Default To go or not to go, that is the question...

Well, that time has finally come, that a lot of us probably dread as we did the aftermath of the fire... Starting tomorrow, they will start letting people back in to town, starting with those who have houses starting @ 8:00 AM and then the remaining people in @ 13:00 hrs.. Haven't yet decided if I will take the trip tomorrow or wait till Sat. and then, if I cannot find a bunk for the night, at least I will have a whole day to visit and coffee up with the guys. Like so many others, It's just one day to the next ..
Old 05-27-2011, 09:54 PM
Banned

Hey Mods..
What has happened to this thread. Did I say something wrong.,.. It has been a life line for me and I can't believe that there have not been even any viewers since I was here last nite....
Old 05-27-2011, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough doug View Post
Hey Mods..
What has happened to this thread. Did I say something wrong.,.. It has been a life line for me and I can't believe that there have not been even any viewers since I was here last nite....
I've been following a lot via text messages and Facebook. How's things up there? We haven't forgotten about you guys by any means.
Old 05-27-2011, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Hey Mods..
Doug, it's just hard to know what to say sometimes. The old standby of "thoughts and prayers sent" can only go so far before the words become difficult to find. We look at our own situations and try to put ourselves in your place. Frankly, it's scary as hell. Thus, the responses peter out.

Regardless. Have you managed to get to your home yet? (YES, it's still you're home.....just needs a bit of work is all. )

Hopefully, they haven't trucked it out yet so you can at least sift through the ashes. Based on some personal experiences, it is amazing what can survive.

Please keep us updated. You have NOT been forgotten!

Sean
Old 05-27-2011, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Well, that time has finally come, that a lot of us probably dread as we did the aftermath of the fire... Starting tomorrow, they will start letting people back in to town, starting with those who have houses starting @ 8:00 AM and then the remaining people in @ 13:00 hrs.. Haven't yet decided if I will take the trip tomorrow or wait till Sat. and then, if I cannot find a bunk for the night, at least I will have a whole day to visit and coffee up with the guys. Like so many others, It's just one day to the next ..
we havent forgotten you.
we are all waiting for updates from you guys.
Is there anything we can do to help you doug?
Old 05-28-2011, 12:51 AM
Banned

Hi Guys and Girls, Sorry if I sounded kinda "clingy", was not meant to be like that at all but I was just trying to get as much info as I could, regardless if some of it was contradictory or not. That part of it I could sift out myself and and a decision. Kinda like having a few more parts of an equation b4 trying to solve it. All of us from Slave , especially those of us who are not allowed to go back, prob. for a long time, are so, so appreciative of your support. You "guys" really are family. If there are some here that made it back to slave on Fri or are going in on Sat., it would be great to hear from someone who knows "what it is".
Till next, time, keep the faith...
Old 05-28-2011, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbiddy View Post

I heard from a reliable source, of a couple of people in her store who were bragging up about not having changed their addresses on their drivers licenses when they moved away a couple years ago, and getting free hotel rooms and cash. makes you sick to think some people can sink that low
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 05-28-2011, 07:06 AM

I was wondering if after Brownbear and Sourdough get a better handle on the situation we get a thread going to actually assist Sourdough and the other members who lost there gear. I have a new Buck fixed blade, hunting jackets, etc dependent on sizing that rather than contribute to the general population, I'd like it to go to one of our own. I also have a size 11 hunting boot that i purchased from Rack that can go and possibly other stuff. Perhaps Brownbear can comment on this idea.
Old 05-28-2011, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagwan View Post
I was wondering if after Brownbear and Sourdough get a better handle on the situation we get a thread going to actually assist Sourdough and the other members who lost there gear. I have a new Buck fixed blade, hunting jackets, etc dependent on sizing that rather than contribute to the general population, I'd like it to go to one of our own. I also have a size 11 hunting boot that i purchased from Rack that can go and possibly other stuff. Perhaps Brownbear can comment on this idea.
Just waiting to hear from one of our guys as to what they need some help with.
When I did the pearl auction it was specifically to help out AO members. So I have some money here waiting to be sent to help out a member. I know what with no electricity for so long that everything in their fridges and freezers spoiled so I would like to send this money up to help restock a fridge with the basics that one needs.
Old 05-28-2011, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkaholic6 View Post
Gift Lake and Whitefish received $1,250 I believe.
red earth and loon lake also
Old 05-28-2011, 10:38 PM

I know BB416 was able to get back in yesterday. Once he's settled, hopefully he can update us all.
Old 05-28-2011, 10:44 PM

Yes, after they get settled down and start to rebuild, I'm sure I can donate some stuff to members that can use it for some stress relief!
Cat
Old 05-28-2011, 11:16 PM

Just got into Slave last night and have been busy cleaning and helping everyone get fridges and freezers out of their homes.Something about a disaster that makes you want to get stuff more organized and get rid of clutter.My family only lost one place and feel very fortunate as so many close friends lost everything.The fire burned a wicked path through the SE and NE part of town and that's where the magority of the roughly 375 homes were lost.Just a wasteland as far as the eye can see and its pretty disheartening to look at.No place like home though and its great to see life coming back into the town and people coming together.Most of the gas and power is back on as well as the boil water ban lifted.Trucks are going around hauling the fridges and freezers away as the town is pretty stinky and was bringing in lots of bears.Lots are living out of a cooler with ice as appliances are at a premium.Brick said it was their best day in store history yesterday.Cops are everywhere patrolling and keeping an eye on homes and bussiness's that arent yet occupied.Everywhere you go there is volunteers and people putting on bbq's.

My family is in need of nothing so instead of accepting anything we would like to help out those that have lost everything.Not sure what the best way is to do this as Insurance will cover most things but I will keep my eyes open and see what I can find.As far as AO members I know Sourdough Doug, Darcy3 and Scottie lost almost everything in the fire and I would sure be up for helping them with any hunting gear they will need in the fall.Thx again for everything you all have done and Im all ears for any ideas you might have..

Jeff
Old 05-30-2011, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Every single thing in that town will likely be considered destroyed, the smoke damage will ensure that. I wonder how many insurance companies will be close to bankrupt over this? The entire ford dealership inventory burnt, iirc, I know sl yamaha is gone, on and on. Is the damage past millions into billions? Who will buy smoke damaged stock from walmart? Hopefully some places survived the smoke, but it seems doubtful.
I wouldnt worry too much about the insurance companies...In my 40 plus years dont recall any insurance companies ever going bankrupt. I have 100% replacement value on everything in my house, BUT for some reason they now tell me the fridge & deep freeze and all contents are capped off at $ 2000.00 minus my 1000.00 dollar deductable. When's the last time a person could buy a fridge, freezer and stock it for a 1,000...guessing maybe 20yrs ago.

I'II tell you the way it will play out, the insurance companies know the government is putting money forward and after all the smoke clears they will be playing the victim card and the government will bail them out. It has become a risk free business...just like auto insurance when they capped off personal injury to what 4,000 then the next year they show record profits...my rates never went down.

On another note i did buy some smoke damaged beer and crown royal yesterday and it tasted great...lol

As far as town goes, even with all the media coverage...just doesnt come close as to seeing it with my own eyes....block among block gone...feels great to be back home but sadly emotional seeing the loss...
Old 05-30-2011, 09:36 AM

I was talking to a friend in Florida a couple days ago, and we were talking about the difference between Canadian and USA news and what the media gives us. Every time a bug farts in the States, we hear about it one way or another. With the water in Eastern Canada and the fire in Western, I was sure he had heard about it, but not a whisper, at all. Nothing.

He went on to say how bad he felt for the Slave Lake people, and expressed his interest in helping. He siad it was amazing that 375 houses went up in smoke that fast. Then not a minute later, says "I have family in Joplin, the tornado took out 10,000 HOMES!!!

That hit hard, I have enough trouble with 375 homes being gone, now imagine 30 times as many gone in an instant.

Wow I am glad we do not live in the tornado belt.

edit- I am certainly not trying to lessen the impact on the Alberta victims in any way, just amazed at the magnitude of the destruction.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....

Last edited by Ken07AOVette; 05-30-2011 at 09:51 AM.
Old 05-30-2011, 09:46 AM

Quote:
I was talking to a friend in Florida a couple days ago, and we were talking about the difference between Canadian and USA news and what the media gives us. Every time a bug farts in the States, we hear about it one way or another. With the water in Eastern Canada and the fire in Western, I was sure he had heard about it, but not a whisper, at all. Nothing.

He went on to say how bad he felt for the Slave Lake people, and expressed his interest in helping. He siad it was amazing that 375 houses went up in smoke that fast. Then not a minute later, says "I have family in Joplin, the tornado took out 10,000 HOMES!!!

That hit hard, I have enough trouble with 375 homes being gone, now imagine 30 times as many gone in an instant.

Wow I am glad we do not live in the tornado belt.
I heard about it here in No. Va., local news station I think. Joplin storm was 3/4 mi. wide and over 10 mi. long and 200 mph wind. Photos look like Hiroshima 1945.
2 Cor. 5:17 (ESV)
Old 06-04-2011, 10:20 PM
Banned

Default Thanks TM

I want to say a great big THANK YOU to Turbo mulcher, for when he was up in Slave and took time after his shift to go to my house and give me a real assessment of my place.. I knew it was all gone but there were conflicting reports as to what was happening to clean up around the residences..He confirmed to me that it was my place by describing some of the remnants in the garage. The garage, at that time, had not been really disturbed to much.
I passed the crew and TM as they were heading back to Calgary, about 10 mi. north of Westlock, the morning I was going to Slave.
This last Thurs., was my first time back and that was a first time meeting with probably one of many adjusters I will have to talk with. I was able to see my place after signing a waiver but that's not the end of the world.
I'm still not back in Slave and don't honestly know when that might be. This last week when I was up' there were no vacancies so I kinda camped out, haha
Gotta see another adjr. this week and hopefully there will be a room someplace.
So....Thanks again TM and hopefully we can meet , under better circumstances....
Old 06-08-2011, 04:12 PM

For your information: This is the most HQ video I've seen of the town on fire - shot as people were waiting to get out. If you're familiar with the town, some of the scenes are absolutely stunning.

I feel for the firefighters who did their best in vain to try to stop this, one of the powerful forces of nature.

But Slave Lakers (and all Albertans, actually) are resilient. The town will persevere through this adversity.
Old 06-09-2011, 03:16 PM
Banned

I watched it and maybe I should not have. Not the best thing to do and relive this horrific time in so many of our lives. The part that I found just as disturbing was the comments made by some of those who viewed it and were probably not anywhere around .
Old 06-11-2011, 07:18 PM

Default Rebuild planned

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...e-rebuild.html

Residents of Slave Lake, Alta., have laid out a timetable to rebuild the town, with some construction scheduled to begin within weeks.

Only weeks after a wildfire destroyed hundreds of homes and businesses, officials and townspeople have laid out a plan to guide how those buildings will be replaced.

The town has been divided into four zones according to how badly it was damaged.

Slave Lake mayor Karina Pillay-Kinnee says construction can begin in the least damaged part within a month.

However, it'll be at least three and perhaps as long as six months before people in the completely devastated parts of town can start rebuilding.

Pillay-Kinnee said mobile homes should be available within a couple weeks for use as temporary housing.

Janet Park, whose home was destroyed in the fire, said it was an awful ordeal to live through.

"It's terrifying to know your home is gone. We're homeless," she said. "We fled to Edmonton, on the outskirts of Edmonton to my niece's home, not knowing if [our] house is still standing."

It's estimated about half of the community was destroyed when wind-driven wildfires blazed through the town, destroying more than a third of the homes, along with the town hall, government centre and library.

Officials say 374 properties were destroyed and 52 others damaged in the fire. People had little warning and many residents escaped with just the clothes on their backs.

Park, like many Slave Lake residents, plans to rebuild her home — but said it will be some time before the rebuild is complete.

"If things go like they've just told us today, hopefully we can start by the end of this year. It may carry over into next year, who knows."

Resident Martine Carifelle, whose house is still standing and liveable, said life has not returned to normal. Although she's returned to Slave Lake, Carifelle has yet to unpack her trailer.

"I'm just a little bit uneasy," she said. "Just last week the fire ignited again, so if I had to flee I'd be ready to go. So I guess I'm more or less on alert."

Slave Lake school counsellor Susan Giesbrecht said the trauma of the fire and the journey home is still very real for many residents.

"It's just sort of starting to get to them what's happened to them," she said. "They're just sort of floating around and trying to act as normal as they can. It's just not the same for them. It won't be for a while."
Old 06-14-2011, 09:29 AM

Anyone know where I can find a Russel knife it was the first knife that my dad gave me and was my constant companion for both fishing and hunting. I would really like to replace it. thanks
Old 06-14-2011, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonsuch View Post
Anyone know where I can find a Russel knife it was the first knife that my dad gave me and was my constant companion for both fishing and hunting. I would really like to replace it. thanks
Wholesale sports sells them

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 06-14-2011, 10:48 AM

Thank you I will check them out on my next trip to the city
Old 06-20-2011, 06:37 PM

In a classy and emotional meeting today, the Slave lake firechief was in Calgary today to thank the hundreds of Calgary firefighters who responded to their citys disaster.
The Province will pick up the tab for Team Red's mission to Slave Lake.

Proud to be Albertan

Tags
fire, slave lake