Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-12-2020, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckbrush View Post
There is a world of difference between being hysterical and being informed. There is a lot of space between panicking and taking easy precautions.

Be honest, those holes you are digging are to stick your head.
I concur. But to accuse of pigeon holing when someone quoted an older text that talks about living your life in peace and calm is a little over the top. As for the last part not sure how my head is in the sand... I am informed, we are prepared and what happens will happen... I will still work, I won't be going to oiler games (not that I ever do) but if living informed and prepared calmly is putting your head in the sand then I guess guilty
Old 03-12-2020, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
My daughter and her guy are in Mexico.
I told them not to go, he of course did not listen.
We have had our grandsons for 10 days. Today when there is talk of suspending all international flights, they are supposed to be coming home.

When they get here, we will not get very close to or touch them, if they came into contact with it we do not want it. I want to keep the grandsons for another 2 weeks, but the 6 year old is supposed to be in school which they are talking about closing.

It is going to affect everyone very soon I fear.
I would imagine that the insurance companies are going to deal with this shortly. Can you imagine what 4 weeks in an American ICU would do to the average person if insurance companies started to refuse payments......
Old 03-12-2020, 09:23 AM
Banned

Here’s a true story of just how stupid people are responsible for the spread of virus’s, and how I caught the flu, I’m pretty sure it was the only time in my life I caught it, it was definitely the only time I was ever so sick.

The wife and I were going camping so we stopped at Army & Navy to pick up a picnic table cover, some of those nets to cover your food on the picnic table, and that sort of thing.

We pull up to the tills and there was two cashiers standing there talking, then one walked away and the one that was left was a mucous mess, snot running down her face, bloodshot eyes, sniffing, sneezing, coughing, rubbing snot all over the place! I was visibly angry and I wasn’t hiding my anger. I asked her why the fk she was at work, I told her she was an idiot, and that’s about when my wife kicked in to hush me. I don’t get sick often but I knew something bad was going to come of this. As we were leaving I was telling my wife I’m going to be choked if I get sick. Sure as sht, a few days later it got me, I was so sick for about a week I think I didn’t even leave my bedroom for 3 days. It took 3 months to get over that one. Caught it in the end of August and still had some lung damage coming into November.

Full disclosure, I was stupid for not dropping all our goods on the floor and running out the door, but I’m not exaggerating in my description of that twit.

Please please please, if you’re sick, if your child is sick, if your spouse is sick, do the right thing and STAY HOME!!!!!

It might not stop the spread of the virus but it won’t help spread it either.
Old 03-12-2020, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott h View Post
I would imagine that the insurance companies are going to deal with this shortly. Can you imagine what 4 weeks in an American ICU would do to the average person if insurance companies started to refuse payments......
An acquaintance had Typhoid in Florida and was in the hospital for 5-7 days. If I recall correctly, the bill was about $86k. Insurance covered it, but said if she goes back, and gets typhoid again, they aren't covering her.
Old 03-12-2020, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
Please please please, if you’re sick, if your child is sick, if your spouse is sick, do the right thing and STAY HOME!!!!!

It might not stop the spread of the virus but it won’t help spread it either.
Again Kurt? You're on a roll. I couldn't agree more.

IMO, stopping this is not going to happen. Most of us aren't going to die. The best thing to happen would be for this to slowly spread through the population with extra emphasis put on protecting the vulnerable and SLOWING the spread.
That might give our healthcare system a chance to deal with this over a longer period of time. We all know our already loaded hospitals can't handle trying to take care of even 10% of the population at once.

This isn't just the flu and that attitude needs to change and people need to take it seriously. No its not the end of the world but its a lot more than a flu, H1N1 or SARS.
Old 03-12-2020, 09:34 AM

Quote:
No, People are creating the panic. Mainstream media have been downplaying this if anything. It's the sheep who say "the flu is worse" or ridiculing people who are taking precautions. Those sheep are starting to realize this could be bad and are wanting to prepare but don't know what to do so in a panic they follow the other sheep. That herd just happened to be buying extreme amounts of toilet paper last week...
Day in, day out all I see from every media outlet is how this virus is going to get much worse before it gets better. When people see and hear this, they panic. Numerous headlines are saying millions of Canadians could get this virus. Don't see how that's downplaying it. These are just a few headlines that I grabbed. There are MANY more just like them from media outlets all around the world.

Coronavirus could infect 35 to 70 per cent of Canadians, experts say

Federal government warns up to 26 million Canadians could get COVID-19

Between 30 and 70 per cent of Canadians could become infected with coronavirus
Old 03-12-2020, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
An acquaintance had Typhoid in Florida and was in the hospital for 5-7 days. If I recall correctly, the bill was about $86k. Insurance covered it, but said if she goes back, and gets typhoid again, they aren't covering her.
Yes now that it's officially a "pandemic" I would imagine that getting Covid 19 while travelling could be seen as preventable. Flying a ventilated patient back to Canada puts a whole new meaning too "expensive".......
Old 03-12-2020, 09:38 AM

People living check to check with no sick days will crawl into work rather than miss time.
In construction it's work or starve, I've seen guys work with broken body parts to pay the mortgage, nobody's going to pay you to stay home for a couple days let alone two weeks.
This is reality nobody's going to stay home with a sniffle the virus will spread.
Old 03-12-2020, 09:43 AM

Suncor has an in-house day care in their tower in downtown Calgary. A kid going there just tested positive and now the day care is closed with the staff self-quarantining. Dead centre of downtown and odds are that they took public transit to get there......
Old 03-12-2020, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat119 View Post
People living check to check with no sick days will crawl into work rather than miss time.
In construction it's work or starve, I've seen guys work with broken body parts to pay the mortgage, nobody's going to pay you to stay home for a couple days let alone two weeks.
This is reality nobody's going to stay home with a sniffle the virus will spread.
Well, Trudeau could have used some of that $1B of taxpayers money he spent yesterday giving all working Canadians a weekly quarantine allowance.
That would have helped limit the spread and reduce the damage.
Instead, he gives $50M of our money to other countries.
Anyone who votes Liberal is pure EVIL, or pure stupid.
Old 03-12-2020, 09:47 AM

Lightbulb Could’ve should’ve would’ve ...

... in the last decade the rise of the political correctness, and over sensitivity and a POS weak Leaders has lead to THIS.
Old 03-12-2020, 09:52 AM
Banned

Quote:
Again Kurt? You're on a roll. I couldn't agree more.

IMO, stopping this is not going to happen. Most of us aren't going to die. The best thing to happen would be for this to slowly spread through the population with extra emphasis put on protecting the vulnerable and SLOWING the spread.
That might give our healthcare system a chance to deal with this over a longer period of time. We all know our already loaded hospitals can't handle trying to take care of even 10% of the population at once.

This isn't just the flu and that attitude needs to change and people need to take it seriously. No its not the end of the world but its a lot more than a flu, H1N1 or SARS.

I’m not the sharpest pencil when it comes to book smarts but I was blessed with a fair dose of common sense. I’ve never been quick to hit the panic button, and nothing about this coronavirus is surprising me.

I still believe this virus is supposed to happen, I think, as cold as it sounds, that what mother nature’s plan is, is to clear off some of the weak to leave room for the strong, it’s a life cycle. At over 7 billion people and counting something has to be done, it beats a war. Which leads to my next point......

Hopefully the effects of the virus, along with the oil crash and the effects this is all having on the world markets, won’t lead to an all our war. As seen on this thread, people have a hard time keeping a level head during adversity. It only takes a couple hot heads to spark a fire that will grow out of control! Hopefully this virus will bring us together rather than thrust us into chaos.

Hope I didn’t scare anyone
Old 03-12-2020, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishtank View Post
... in the last decade the rise of the political correctness, and over sensitivity and a POS weak Leaders has lead to THIS.
Exactly, rainbows and unicorns with fancy socks don’t get you to far in a real crisis. We are paying for our sad ways of late. Hugs and tears won’t solve the issue. Panic won’t get us far either.
Old 03-12-2020, 09:56 AM

Default warning

Okay fellas. Here's the deal. The vast majority of media outlets, including gov't agencies such as AHS, have told us that 80% of people who contract this will have mild symptoms with many not even knowing they have it. As well, they have told us that the vast majority of those who will succumb to this are elderly and/or have chronic underlying conditions.

So for those of you who are rudely calling out people who choose to believe this sheep or pigeon holers or whatever the hell other insults you come up with, watch out. I read every post and am tired of many of you acting like keyboard warriors who think there will be no ramifications for your insults.

I can safely speak for the other mods here. All our lives will be affected in many ways as this plays out, so we sure as hell don't need the frustration of dealing with grown men acting like ten year olds hurling insults across the schoolyard.

If you can't interact politely considering the times we are living in, you are going to the sidelines, and there won't be warnings/infractions leading up to it. Just timeouts or kicked out.

There are a lot of people who just post on general discussion, stirring the feces pot, and add nothing of outdoors value. If you fall into that category, just know you are walking a fine line, and won't be missed if we boot you.
Old 03-12-2020, 10:15 AM

Sophie has it now.

Ps I post a shooting story a while ago and I got about 6replies.
Old 03-12-2020, 10:15 AM

I just got a notification on my phone that Sophie Trudeau is in self isolation due to a possible contact. This is disturbing, why is there a HuffPost Canada article texting me?
Old 03-12-2020, 10:16 AM

Jr. is self quarantined now, Sophie Gregoire has symptoms, that throws a whole new wrinkle into the political response, not sure if it’s good or bad.
Old 03-12-2020, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slough shark View Post
Jr. is self quarantined now, Sophie Gregoire has symptoms, that throws a whole new wrinkle into the political response, not sure if it’s good or bad.
Wouldn't that be ironic if the fool that refuses to take any actions to prevent the spread in Canada has it? Then again, this could also be an excuse for him to hide in a closet eating his crayons, because he has no clue how to respond to the situation.
Old 03-12-2020, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
I just got a notification on my phone that Sophie Trudeau is in self isolation due to a possible contact. This is disturbing, why is there a HuffPost Canada article texting me?
That is a little disturbing. I use a web browser called brave on my phone that helps to block ads and tracking btw. CBC says that she is getting tested as they are not sure if she has it yet
Old 03-12-2020, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Wouldn't that be ironic if the fool that refuses to take any actions to prevent the spread in Canada has it? Then again, this could also be an excuse for him to hide in a closet eating his crayons, because he has no clue how to respond to the situation.
Well to this point he has taken virtually no action to prevent its spread to the point his wife was in a fairly high risk situation. On the upside this could push some adult in the liberal party (hopefully one exists) to take charge while jr hides out
Old 03-12-2020, 10:25 AM

Default quarantine issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat119 View Post
^^^THIS^^^
The whole quarantine issue has me extremely nervous. I have 18 staff, most of them I'm sure live paycheck to paycheck, reluctant to miss anytime. If they even hint of a sniffle, I'm gonna have to send them home. The "work from home" scenario is a joke for us. We run a large scale butcher shop, dealing with perishable goods that are on a time-frame for processing. None of this "hands-on" can be done from a keyboard. I would be looking at a major hit and insurance claims, not to mention lost customer base, if we had to close the doors for the minimal two weeks.
I know we are a far ways from the zombie apocolypse, but for a small business owner in my shoes, I'm watching the news for updates hourly!
My biggest concern is for the retail end of the business. My frontline people that deal with customers coming in and out all day long, and handling money in all forms. I'm trying to hold off from panic and issuing them masks. Trying to be proactive without panic, you might say!
Old 03-12-2020, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stLand View Post
Well, Trudeau could have used some of that $1B of taxpayers money he spent yesterday giving all working Canadians a weekly quarantine allowance.
That would have helped limit the spread and reduce the damage.
Instead, he gives $50M of our money to other countries.
Anyone who votes Liberal is pure EVIL, or pure stupid.
I don't think 28$ is enough to convince canadians to stay home for a week.
Old 03-12-2020, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by st99 View Post
I don't think 28$ is enough to convince canadians to stay home for a week.
Were they talking about EI or something for having to take time off? I haven't looked to closely at it yet.
Old 03-12-2020, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
I think it’s the Apple or google news app. I get the odd CTV news reports and others that I don’t subscribe to or have their app.
Old 03-12-2020, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgutpile View Post
^^^THIS^^^
The whole quarantine issue has me extremely nervous. I have 18 staff, most of them I'm sure live paycheck to paycheck, reluctant to miss anytime. If they even hint of a sniffle, I'm gonna have to send them home. The "work from home" scenario is a joke for us. We run a large scale butcher shop, dealing with perishable goods that are on a time-frame for processing. None of this "hands-on" can be done from a keyboard. I would be looking at a major hit and insurance claims, not to mention lost customer base, if we had to close the doors for the minimal two weeks.
I know we are a far ways from the zombie apocolypse, but for a small business owner in my shoes, I'm watching the news for updates hourly!
My biggest concern is for the retail end of the business. My frontline people that deal with customers coming in and out all day long, and handling money in all forms. I'm trying to hold off from panic and issuing them masks. Trying to be proactive without panic, you might say!
Seeing most cashiers wearing gloves now.
Old 03-12-2020, 11:22 AM
Banned

Well, well, well...Trudeau just went into self isolation...looks like his wife may have it.
Old 03-12-2020, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtodrick View Post
Well, well, well...Trudeau just went into self isolation...looks like his wife may have it.
He’s just hiding. Been hiding for a few months now. Haha
Old 03-12-2020, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewM View Post
He’s just hiding. Been hiding for a few months now. Haha
I’m no fan of Trudeau but if he is at risk of having it or being infectious then self isolation is the right thing to do. He is a walking talking idiot that deserves to be mocked for many things but this isn’t one of them.
Old 03-12-2020, 11:37 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 260 Rem View Post
Isn’t 1% pretty high ... somewhere I read the mortality rate for most flu is 0.1%? If those figures are accurate, ‘19 could be ten times more likely to kill?
It's higher than I'd like...but a heck of a lot better than 3.4%.
Look at it this way...before vaccinations the death rate from measles was also about 1%...so it's not outrageously high. I just hope we get a vaccination worked out in the next year.
Old 03-12-2020, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleboy View Post
I’m no fan of Trudeau but if he is at risk of having it or being infectious then self isolation is the right thing to do. He is a walking talking idiot that deserves to be mocked for many things but this isn’t one of them.
It was a joke. Self isolation is the correct thing to do. Don't be so sensitive.