Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-28-2009, 02:43 AM
Banned

I'm glad we got Quinn and Renney instead of Crawford that's for sure! Funny though, 3 coaches out there with NHL experience and the Oil nab 2 of em, while Sutter is left scratching his head Now we will really get to see if MacT was the problem.

I say Pens in 6. You heard it here first
Old 05-28-2009, 05:27 AM

I like Pat Quinn and the fact that he wore a Flame's Uniform for 5 season's make's him that much more likeable......
Old 05-28-2009, 08:31 AM
Fishing Gal

The Pens/Wings series is going to be great. I think it will be Pens in 7
Old 05-28-2009, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanonfodder View Post
I bet we make the playoffs...Darryl can't manage a cap I doubt hes going to be brilliant behind the bench......

I will think of a suitable wager pansy boy........ btw In your neighbourhood friday most likely
You let me know if you are coming this way and what wager you decide..
Old 05-28-2009, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownBear416 View Post
You let me know if you are coming this way and what wager you decide..
I would have thought you would've given up on betting on the Flames by now
Old 05-28-2009, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunt_and_fish View Post
I would have thought you would've given up on betting on the Flames by now
Money in the bank against the Coilers Son
Old 05-28-2009, 08:15 PM

my poor hawks . from not making the playoffs in 2008 to the conference finals in 2009 . i WILL NOT be waving the white flag in 2010 . GO HAWKS GO .
Old 05-28-2009, 10:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
I bet we make the playoffs...Darryl can't manage a cap I doubt hes going to be brilliant behind the bench......

I will think of a suitable wager pansy boy........ btw In your neighbourhood friday most likely
Sour Grapes Kanon.

I dont blame him one iota for the cap issue.
He tried to make us a better team, and it didnt work.. But at least he tried.

I am afraid this will be Darryls last kick at the cat. King will not stand for anther first round exit. Perhaps a less than stellar season, followed by a run into the playoffs, but not a first round exit.

GO FLAMES GO

BTW.. Ed will not make the playoffs this year.. YOU HEARD IT HERE FIRST!!!

Jamie
Old 05-29-2009, 01:12 AM

Jamie, after all your bold predictions and you heard it hear firsts this past season I truley thought you would have learnt your lesson by now.

Maybe in Calgary it is not the coach but more the players fault. Maybe time to get rid of all that old deadwood and start over because that deadwood has proven time and time again they choke horribly in the playoffs, exception of 2004. But then again, everyone gets lucky once in awhile!
Old 05-29-2009, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Money in the bank against the Coilers Son
Who you callin son? You'd better respect your elders boy!

Money in the bank, hey? Just like your wager with dss44? Memories of the daily updates still take the sting away from the Canucks early exit.
Old 05-29-2009, 11:19 AM

Quote:

Money in the bank, hey? Just like your wager with dss44? Memories of the daily updates still take the sting away from the Canucks early exit.
Lmao thats not fair... What happens on Facebook is private
Old 05-29-2009, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohninAB View Post
Jamie, after all your bold predictions and you heard it hear firsts this past season I truley thought you would have learnt your lesson by now.

Maybe in Calgary it is not the coach but more the players fault. Maybe time to get rid of all that old deadwood and start over because that deadwood has proven time and time again they choke horribly in the playoffs, exception of 2004. But then again, everyone gets lucky once in awhile!
Papa I think what you are trying to say is "Even a blind squirrel finds the occasional nut"
Old 05-29-2009, 10:50 PM

Quote:

That was a good week...oh so good. I was in the hospital so i couldn't even tell him exactly what to say...but what he put was good enough
Old 05-29-2009, 11:04 PM

Here is an Oilers perspective for the 09-10 season,
Horcoff is crap and Penner is complete garbage!!! Quinn and Renney are the worst coaches in history!!

Flames perspective for the 09-10 season,
We won one we got the cup!!!!
Old 05-30-2009, 09:23 PM

WTF was THAT?

The Pens were absolutely BRUTAL! I couldn't believe my eyes. MAF is flake, and I've hated his guts for years now. He makes Hasek and Belfour look like well adjusted individuals. He has now cost me not one but TWO TV remote controls due to high speed impacts with the fireplace. I now have to change channels with a live .50 round!

However, I blame Bylesma the most. Constantly changing the lines, not having them attack with speed through the neutral zone and just overall not having them prepped. Terrible. They better figure things out quick, or this is going to be a short series.

Oh yeah, don cherry is a piece of chit! Anyone else see his little anti-hunting shot at Babcock's bear hunting trip? I stuck with don through thick and thin over the years, but he's pushed the last button for this cat. Idiot!

I feel better now.

Tree
Old 05-30-2009, 10:09 PM

Go Wings Go!!!!!!
Old 05-31-2009, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7mm-08 View Post
Go Wings Go!!!!!!
HaHa always hanging around eh 7mm-08

Ya pitts had better show up tonight,you don't want to drop 2 games to the Wings...

I think that Malkin,Crosby,Maf ext ext are going to have to be there very best every night to even stand a chance against Detroit...

I am cheering for Pitts because I want to see Tree's Male fantasy hoist the cup... If Pitts doesn't win then that means we have to put Tree on suicide watch ..That might be quite a chore considering he hangs out 200 feet above the ground every day talking to the squirrels
Old 05-31-2009, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeGuy View Post
WTF was THAT?

The Pens were absolutely BRUTAL! I couldn't believe my eyes. MAF is flake, and I've hated his guts for years now. He makes Hasek and Belfour look like well adjusted individuals. He has now cost me not one but TWO TV remote controls due to high speed impacts with the fireplace. I now have to change channels with a live .50 round!

However, I blame Bylesma the most. Constantly changing the lines, not having them attack with speed through the neutral zone and just overall not having them prepped. Terrible. They better figure things out quick, or this is going to be a short series.

Oh yeah, don cherry is a piece of chit! Anyone else see his little anti-hunting shot at Babcock's bear hunting trip? I stuck with don through thick and thin over the years, but he's pushed the last button for this cat. Idiot!

I feel better now.

Tree
It's a long series buddy. My money is still on the Pens.
Old 05-31-2009, 11:28 PM

Go Wings!!!!! 2-0!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by 7mm-08; 06-01-2009 at 11:21 PM.
Old 06-02-2009, 08:42 PM

Didn't see the game but saw the result, good job Penguin's, win the next one and you never know..........
Old 06-02-2009, 10:21 PM

Isn't Bettman a pleasure to have on Hockey Night in Canada between periods. What a goof.

TBark
Old 06-02-2009, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBark View Post
Isn't Bettman a pleasure to have on Hockey Night in Canada between periods. What a goof.

TBark
Ron was really giving him the gears What a little weasel Bettman is ..

Nice to see some life out of Pitts
Old 06-02-2009, 11:29 PM

Pitts will win this series. They seem to have gotten their feet under 'em.

Unfortunately, Bettman is legally correct. You only own the NHL franchise. The infastructure of the team may be yours, but you are still the corporation's b*tch. Look at Starbucks, Timmies, McDonald's, etc. Bettman will win this one unless the BOG revolt. Too bad.

Tree
Old 06-03-2009, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Ron was really giving him the gears What a little weasel Bettman is ..

Nice to see some life out of Pitts
Yeah, would have been more effective if he had his facts marshalled when he wants to attack someone... tried to quote some book but couldn't remember the title or outhor. Looked like an idiot.

I'm not sure where all the venom for Bettman is coming from. Everyone seems to want another Canadian team and has made it a patriotic issue. But Bettman is out to protect the league and it's current franchises (that includes OUR teams). Think for a second what will happen if anyone can just buy a franchise and move it without league approval. Think about it as a Flames or Oiler fan... You OK with someone with money buying your team and moving it to his favourite city just because he can get a better stadium deal? Think about the situation here 5 to 10 years ago. I suggest one or both of our teams might be gone now if Jim Ballsillie was around then and allowed to do what he wanted. Bettman has been fine for Canadian teams. He instituted the old sstem of subsidies to offset the low Canadian dollar. Then he broke the union to get a salary cap in place, which made US more competitive. He's far from perfect, but Ballsillie supporters are suggesting changes that might someday actually put OUR teams at risk of being moved.

Phoenix may or may not survive. Maybe it's not a hockey market in the end, but I applaud the league for being loyal to it's cities and fans and trying to move heaven and earth to make them work where they are. Pittsburgh looked dead and gone just a few years ago with Jim B trying to yank it... now?
Old 06-03-2009, 10:06 AM

I think the problem here is the fact that Bettmen wasn't beating his chest when Ottawa Edmonton or Calgary was having ownership issues. Hes a two faced corprate schill for AEG nothing more. His blind belief that the NHL will get a tv deal ala NFL or MLB is laughable. He doest care about the Canadian franchises outside of TO plain and simple. Your analogy is wayyy off base. RIM wants to move the franchise because HOCKEY DOESN'T WORK IN PHOENIX...period. Theyve had multiple owners lost tens of millions of dollars and are bankrupt. Florida is needing new ownership, the Lightening are a mess, Atlanta is struggling...gee what do all these sun belt teams have in common? Oh yea NOT HOCKEY MARKETS
Also Bettmen never BROKE the union it still exists in case you hadn't noticed and is as strong as ever. As for the whole relocation thing..it is my belief that Bassielle will win this one as their is precedent when Al Davis moved the Raider franchise and the courts sided with him....
Old 06-03-2009, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
Yeah, would have been more effective if he had his facts marshalled when he wants to attack someone... tried to quote some book but couldn't remember the title or outhor. Looked like an idiot.
At least Ron knew the numbers!! That is if they are accurate numbers. How much of an idiot does that make Bettman look like if he was not aware of those numbers being quoted by Ron. How much did Ballsille actually offer for the franchise in the first place? The only numbers I have heard so far were 217 million for the team and a commitment of 17 million for an arena. When Ron threw those numbers at Bettman he laughed and said the offer was actually way less than that?? I would like to know what was the actual offer.
Old 06-03-2009, 11:20 AM

Quote:
I think the problem here is the fact that Bettmen wasn't beating his chest when Ottawa Edmonton or Calgary was having ownership issues.
No one was trying to buy and move them, so why should he? He got them a Canadian subsidy plan. You can't say he did nothing.

Quote:
Your analogy is wayyy off base. RIM wants to move the franchise because HOCKEY DOESN'T WORK IN PHOENIX...period.
Ballsilie said it didn't work in Pittsburgh either. How do you square that one? All I'm saying is that the decision as to whether a franchise works or not in a particular location is the League's decision, not some outsider's with cash. Try moving your MacDonalds franchise wherever you want. Won't fly.

Quote:
Also Bettmen never BROKE the union it still exists in case you hadn't noticed and is as strong as ever.
Breaking a union doesn't mean it disappears. Bettman wanted a salary cap and he got a salary cap. Union folded on the key demand, and also took across-the-board pay cuts.

Quote:
As for the whole relocation thing..it is my belief that Bassielle will win this one as their is precedent when Al Davis moved the Raider franchise and the courts sided with him....
So how did his relocated LA Raiders do?
Old 06-03-2009, 04:39 PM

Quote:
No one was trying to buy and move them, so why should he? He got them a Canadian subsidy plan. You can't say he did nothing.
You realize the subsidy is NHL wide its not a Canadian subsidy, the Oilers were about 48hrs away from being moved to Houston, we lost Quebec and Winnipeg how many more are you willing to lose?

Quote:
Ballsilie said it didn't work in Pittsburgh either. How do you square that one? All I'm saying is that the decision as to whether a franchise works or not in a particular location is the League's decision, not some outsider's with cash. Try moving your MacDonalds franchise wherever you want. Won't fly.
It only "flew because of the free rent and huge tax breaks allowed them to stay in Pitt, if you owned a Mickey D's and it's dying the slow death the corporation takes it away and can close it and open a newer shinier Mickey d's somewhere else...see the parallel, think of all the Canadian Tires that "relocate"

Quote:
Breaking a union doesn't mean it disappears. Bettman wanted a salary cap and he got a salary cap. Union folded on the key demand, and also took across-the-board pay cuts.
Yea the players are really struggling to make ends meet, thought I saw Chara in line at the soup kitchen

Quote:
So how did his relocated LA Raiders do?
They moved thats the precedent ...
Old 06-04-2009, 12:03 PM

Quote:
You realize the subsidy is NHL wide its not a Canadian subsidy, the Oilers were about 48hrs away from being moved to Houston, we lost Quebec and Winnipeg how many more are you willing to lose?
Got your subsidies mixed up I think. The current one potentially benefits all teams and came out of the lock-out. I'm talking about the one before the lock-out. That was exclusively for Cdn. teams. Had much to do with dollar disparity.

Quote:
It only "flew because of the free rent and huge tax breaks allowed them to stay in Pitt, if you owned a Mickey D's and it's dying the slow death the corporation takes it away and can close it and open a newer shinier Mickey d's somewhere else...see the parallel, think of all the Canadian Tires that "relocate"
My argument still stands. Local ownership fought to get better terms and the fans of th franchise weren't deprived of their team. And yes, the franchise holder (be it Mickey D's or the NHL) can revoke a franchise and move it if they wish. The owner can't move it. People sign a deal. They should be forced to live by it.

Quote:
Yea the players are really struggling to make ends meet, thought I saw Chara in line at the soup kitchen
I'm not sure what that has to do with it. I didn't say the players were impoverished. NHL and Bettman said what they wanted. Union initially said "no way". In the end the NHL got it.

Quote:
They moved thats the precedent ...
A precedent that failed in the end. That's the lesson.

Ok, your turn!
Old 06-04-2009, 02:00 PM

I must say that Malkins performance at the press conference yesterday was priceless!! Don't look now Pitt but here comes Pavel and Draper for game 4!! It will now be that much tougher to get Crosby away from a solid checking forward, and even have one for Malkin! Should be a good game!!