Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-17-2020, 03:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
Hard to pin the 2nd one on Talbot.

Hope Johnny was watching and noted how he didn't go 5 hole.
I hope Monahan was watching and gets the incentive to go like anywhere on net. He's been ice cold lately.
Old 02-17-2020, 03:38 PM
Banned

Coyotes beating the Islanders 1 - 0 after two periods.
Old 02-17-2020, 04:06 PM

Nice! And Flames show some heart and come right back, with beauty goals by Mangiappane and Bennett. Tie game, and let's see if they can carry the momentum....

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 02-17-2020, 04:26 PM

Now this is the Flames team I want to watch...two more quick goals by Tkuchuk and Monahan, and it's 5-3 just like that. 4 fairly quick unanswered goals. And now going on pp....

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 02-17-2020, 04:37 PM

And how great is that to see the unselfish feed so Mangiappane gets his first hat trick? Roast Duck! 6-3 Flames

Old 02-17-2020, 04:47 PM
Banned

Coyotes win.

Vegas winning 2 - 0 after one period.

Good thing that the Flames bounced back to win this one!
Old 02-17-2020, 05:09 PM

Dang it, these afternoon games and work don't mix. Sounds like I missed a good one. Highlights will have to do. Nice to see a win AT HOME for a change.
Old 02-17-2020, 06:03 PM

Default Flames

Sounds like Tafoli to the nucks. No details yet, but hope they overplayed. https://twitter.com/andystrickland/s...74980381347841

Last edited by spurly; 02-17-2020 at 06:22 PM.
Old 02-17-2020, 06:42 PM

Default Flames

Sounds like Canucks traded Madden Shaller, and a 2020 2nd.rnd pick. + an upgrade if he signs with them.
Sound like a lot to give up for a rental.
They do not pick until the 3rd. Round this year.
Old 02-17-2020, 06:48 PM

Big come back this afternoon. Imagine if you got 2 lines going in the same game.
Old 02-17-2020, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spurly View Post
Sounds like Tafoli to the nucks. No details yet, but hope they overplayed. https://twitter.com/andystrickland/s...74980381347841
Excellent news.
Old 02-17-2020, 07:00 PM

Default Flames

Quote:
Excellent news.
Sounds like Madded, Shaller, a second round pick this year, and a conditional pick 4th round pick next year.
They won’t have a pick till the third round this year.
Pretty expensive.for a rental
Old 02-19-2020, 07:12 PM

I don't normally cheer on the Bruins, but here I am killing it.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
Old 02-19-2020, 07:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendan's dad View Post
Big come back this afternoon. Imagine if you got 2 lines going in the same game.
If we had 2 lines playing in the same game you guys won’t be anywhere near us in the Standings, be thankful
Old 02-19-2020, 07:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigjohn87 View Post
If we had 2 lines playing in the same game you guys won’t be anywhere near us in the Standings, be thankful
Old 02-19-2020, 07:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyBoBandy View Post
You are 1 win up on us. Do the math
Old 02-19-2020, 08:20 PM

Quote:
You are 1 win up on us. Do the math
Old 02-19-2020, 09:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendan's dad View Post
1.5 wins. You guys are 100% correct, there is no way after 60 games if the Flames had more production we would have 2 additional wins or more. I do not know what I was thinking. My apologies
Old 02-20-2020, 12:59 AM

Quote:
1.5 wins. You guys are 100% correct, there is no way after 60 games if the Flames had more production we would have 2 additional wins or more. I do not know what I was thinking. My apologies
I understand your logic. And by that same logic, there is no way after 60 games, if the Oilers had the same type of third and fourth line production in the first half of the season they're having now, that we would be only 1.5 games ahead of you. That knife cuts both ways...
Old 02-20-2020, 07:51 AM

Sounds like Gio is skating and will be going on the road trip.

Here's to hoping Gio, Hammer, Valimaki come back soon and we trade Brodie and Hammer for something reasonable.
Old 02-20-2020, 06:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmerAB View Post
I understand your logic. And by that same logic, there is no way after 60 games, if the Oilers had the same type of third and fourth line production in the first half of the season they're having now, that we would be only 1.5 games ahead of you. That knife cuts both ways...
No, this knife does not cut both ways, your top guys are producing and have been all year, while our top guys are not producing. If our top guys were producing we would not be near one another in the standings.
Old 02-20-2020, 06:21 PM

Quote:
No, this knife does not cut both ways, your top guys are producing and have been all year, while our top guys are not producing. If our top guys were producing we would not be near one another in the standings.
So you're saying the flames top guys are on par with the oilers top guys?
As mentioned before, the oilers have 2 of the top 5 in the NHL (5 may be a stretch on the high side). The flames......well they do not

Not really sure of this "potential" you are referring to. Last time flames had potential, they won a cup. Kipper carried the team for a few years......

Last edited by MountainTi; 02-20-2020 at 06:28 PM.
Old 02-20-2020, 07:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
If our top guys were producing we would not be near one another in the standings.
Definition of if (Entry 1 of 2)
1a : in the event that
b : allowing that
c : on the assumption that
d : on condition that
Old 02-20-2020, 07:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainTi View Post
So you're saying the flames top guys are on par with the oilers top guys?
As mentioned before, the oilers have 2 of the top 5 in the NHL (5 may be a stretch on the high side). The flames......well they do not

Not really sure of this "potential" you are referring to. Last time flames had potential, they won a cup. Kipper carried the team for a few years......
We finished 2nd in the league last year. You have 2 of the best players in the game yet are 13th in the league. Just how much better do those 2 players have to be for you guys to be a top team? 200 points each?

The Oilers are at the peak of their potential, if not slightly exceeding it. The Flames are sputtering and randomly firing on all cyclinders, yet less than 2 wins separate us. Only people in Edmonton see this as some great big holy moment that needs to be immortalized in time.

We’ll see how the next 20 games play out.
Old 02-20-2020, 09:13 PM

Quote:
We finished 2nd in the league last year.
How'd that work our for you? Lol. One round into the playoffs and you were relegated to somewhere between 10th and 16th. Any other teams done like dinner after 5? Lose 4 straight?
Went without a whimper too.

We all agree. You have more depth. 4 good quality forwards in your top 6.
The best defenceman between the two teams.

And yet, there you sit.
Behind.

Has to grate huh?

In reality? You fave team has had one good year.
Shame that.
Old 02-20-2020, 09:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
How'd that work our for you? Lol. One round into the playoffs and you were relegated to somewhere between 10th and 16th. Any other teams done like dinner after 5? Lose 4 straight?
Went without a whimper too.

We all agree. You have more depth. 4 good quality forwards in your top 6.
The best defenceman between the two teams.

And yet, there you sit.
Behind.

Has to grate huh?

In reality? You fave team has had one good year.
Shame that.
I know why are behind, by 1.5 wins. At no point have I said we have had a good season, yet you guys are consistently going off how great the Oilers have been, yet only 1.5 wins ahead. 21 games left, we’ll see what happens.
Old 02-20-2020, 10:00 PM

Quote:
I know why are behind, by 1.5 wins. At no point have I said we have had a good season, yet you guys are consistently going off how great the Oilers have been, yet only 1.5 wins ahead. 21 games left, we’ll see what happens.

I'm actually non partisan. Oilers aren't my #1 but I watch Flames fans making excuses for this year and it makes me shake my head in amazement. Its like it's the Oilers fault that your team is off.

You need only look at your fab 4 forwards. All wearing heavy minus stats. Not 1 or 2. All. Oilers are where they are for 2 simple reasons. #1 power play. #2 penalty kill. Over.

You've got one really good Dman. The rest are meh. Your goaltending is no better than the Oilers. Likely worse as a tandem.

So what's it come down to then? There's zero doubt the Oilers have a better coaching staff. Zero doubt who the best two forwards are on both teams. Whatever. Really not worth losing sleep over. Season isn't done. Lots can change in the last 20 and once the playoffs hit it's anybody's game.

And for the record I used to live in Cgy. Hated the Oilers. Cheered hard for the Flames when the two played one another. I was down there for the best of the best BOA years. 84 -88. I know very well what matters for Flames fans and that's being able to say you're better than the Oilers, and you have been for a long time. During the regular season. Playoffs not so much. They should aim higher. Look at the bigger picture. Season isn't over if you finish higher than the team up #2.

Who knows what this years playoffs brings. Maybe neither even make them. Maybe they both do. One might catch fire while one lays an egg. Maybe they both stink. Maybe they somehow miraculously meet in the western final. All i know is BOA is the best hockey there is right now. The old hate is back and that's good for hockey AND the fans of both teams.
Old 02-20-2020, 10:06 PM

Quote:
John, it's pretty straightforward. Edmonton has been "hot", "on a run", "opening eyes", "playing confident", etc. etc. etc. The Flames have been "inconsistent", "in a skid", "in need of help", "at a crossroads", etc. etc. etc. With all that said, only 3 points separate them. I think it's pretty apparent to everyone what that speaks to the potential of the two teams.
Old 02-20-2020, 10:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
John, it's pretty straightforward. Edmonton has been "hot", "on a run", "opening eyes", "playing confident", etc. etc. etc. The Flames have been "inconsistent", "in a skid", "in need of help", "at a crossroads", etc. etc. etc. With all that said, only 3 points separate them. I think it's pretty apparent to everyone what that speaks to the potential of the two teams.
Bingo
Old 02-20-2020, 10:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
I'm actually non partisan. Oilers aren't my #1 but I watch Flames fans making excuses for this year and it makes me shake my head in amazement. Its like it's the Oilers fault that your team is off.

You need only look at your fab 4 forwards. All wearing heavy minus stats. Not 1 or 2. All. Oilers are where they are for 2 simple reasons. #1 power play. #2 penalty kill. Over.

You've got one really good Dman. The rest are meh. Your goaltending is no better than the Oilers. Likely worse as a tandem.

So what's it come down to then? There's zero doubt the Oilers have a better coaching staff. Zero doubt who the best two forwards are on both teams. Whatever. Really not worth losing sleep over. Season isn't done. Lots can change in the last 20 and once the playoffs hit it's anybody's game.

And for the record I used to live in Cgy. Hated the Oilers. Cheered hard for the Flames when the two played one another. I was down there for the best of the best BOA years. 84 -88. I know very well what matters for Flames fans and that's being able to say you're better than the Oilers, and you have been for a long time. During the regular season. Playoffs not so much. They should aim higher. Look at the bigger picture. Season isn't over if you finish higher than the team up #2.

Who knows what this years playoffs brings. Maybe neither even make them. Maybe they both do. One might catch fire while one lays an egg. Maybe they both stink. Maybe they somehow miraculously meet in the western final. All i know is BOA is the best hockey there is right now. The old hate is back and that's good for hockey AND the fans of both teams.
Both our goalies are ranked higher in NHL standings then either Oilers Goalie, but Mike Smith has definitely been playing a lot better.

And no, it’s not the Oilers fault our team is off. But the fact you acknowledge our team is off yet is only 3 points out of first speaks volumes and rightfully should, that if they weren’t off, the two teams would not be near one another.