Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-13-2020, 08:58 AM

How come the world didn't shut down in 2009 of the swine flu?
Where were the missing TP runners hiding..?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"..On June 11, 2009 — 10 years ago today — the World Health Organization declared that the
swine flu virus we now simply call H1N1 had indeed triggered a pandemic, the first time in four
decades a new flu virus had emerged and was triggering wide-scale illness around the globe.

Since it started circulating in the spring of 2009, H1N1 has infected about 100 million Americans,
killing about 75,000 and sending 936,000 to the hospital, the CDC estimates.."

https://www.statnews.com/2019/06/11/...0-years-later/

--------------------------------------------------------------
..and then (after the dust settles months later)
---------------------------------------------------------------

".. It is estimated that 11–21% of the then global population (of about 6.8 billion), or
around 700 million–1.4 billion people contracted the illness — more in absolute terms
than the Spanish flu pandemic. However, with about 150,000–575,000 fatalities, it had
a much lower case fatality rate of 0.01-0.08%. A follow-up study done in September 2010
showed that the 2009 H1N1 flu was no more severe than the yearly seasonal flu.."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_flu_pandemic
Old 03-13-2020, 09:04 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

I am going fishing....assist the lakers with their Agonal Breathing....heard it can be contagious if not immediately dealt with....

self quarantined in a frabill ice tent for the rest of march!

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 03-13-2020, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tri777 View Post
Because the weight of hundreds people's knowledge who are much smarter than anyone on this forum & who've dedicated their lives to studying infectious diseases have told us that this is more serious.

But....you're probably right
Old 03-13-2020, 09:10 AM

There are no people smarter than this lot on this forum....that's a fact!

Old 03-13-2020, 09:11 AM

smartest thing i ave heard in a while. on way to Lac des isles to fish and get away from everything !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
I am going fishing....assist the lakers with their Agonal Breathing....heard it can be contagious if not immediately dealt with....

self quarantined in a frabill ice tent for the rest of march!
Old 03-13-2020, 09:16 AM

Quote:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"..On June 11, 2009 — 10 years ago today — the World Health Organization declared that the
swine flu virus we now simply call H1N1 had indeed triggered a pandemic, the first time in four
decades a new flu virus had emerged and was triggering wide-scale illness around the globe.

Since it started circulating in the spring of 2009, H1N1 has infected about 100 million Americans,

".. It is estimated that 11–21% of the then global population (of about 6.8 billion), or
around 700 million–1.4 billion people contracted the illness — more in absolute terms
than the Spanish flu pandemic. However, with about 150,000–575,000 fatalities, it had
a much lower case fatality rate of 0.01-0.08%. A follow-up study done in September 2010
showed that the 2009 H1N1 flu was no more severe than the yearly seasonal flu.."

Probably for 2 reasons.
1) H1N1 (influenza A) can be VERY bad, as witnessed by a previous post pointing out a young person in Manitoba dying or being ventilate due to it. Even at it's worst, it is still predicted to have 1/10 of Covid 19
2) Lack of social media
Old 03-13-2020, 09:18 AM

Where on Lac des Isles are you fishing. I want to keep my distance on that little lake.

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk
Old 03-13-2020, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benamen View Post
Where on Lac des Isles are you fishing. I want to keep my distance on that little lake.

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk
If you open the side door and see a fella hunched over...eyes swollen...nose dripping....shaking violently....say hi

We are real friendly like

Hope all do well through this mess where in....just follow directions is all we can do....

Old 03-13-2020, 09:24 AM

Quote:
If you open the side door and see a fella hunched over...eyes swollen...nose dripping....shaking violently....say hi

We are real friendly like

Hope all do well through this mess where in....just follow directions is all we can do....
Oh my. That's a good one
Old 03-13-2020, 09:25 AM

Quote:
There are no people smarter than this lot on this forum....that's a fact!

I said that a few million posts ago!
Old 03-13-2020, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
I agree. People need to understand that caution is about preventing overwhelming the health care system because of a spike in cases. An overwhelmed system has a hard time helping people that have other life threatening conditions.

There also needs to be some ramifications in place for people that insist on travelling to infected areas.
It's rather amazing that people are still getting on planes AND CRUISES..... The public has been told how sick you can get from this for at least 8 weeks but many have refused to alter their plans.
This is the real version of the "Darwin Awards"
Old 03-13-2020, 09:37 AM

13 Mar 2013 from https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Old 03-13-2020, 09:43 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMichaud View Post
There was an outbreak in 2013?
Old 03-13-2020, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott h View Post
It's rather amazing that people are still getting on planes AND CRUISES..... The public has been told how sick you can get from this for at least 8 weeks but many have refused to alter their plans.
This is the real version of the "Darwin Awards"
My 20 year old nephew booked him and his GF on a 7 Caribbean day cruise leaving on Sunday $900 a person including airfare nobody can talk him out of it. I told him to take a crib board and pack for 21 days if he can get back at all, booked an inside cabin to boot.
Oh to be young and quarantined with a 20 year old.

Meanwhile at Superstore the pandemic panic buy continues people buying Tylenol, cough medicine, cases of soup, tomatoes, vegetables I've nerver seen that many there at 8:30 AM.
Old 03-13-2020, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat119 View Post
My 20 year old nephew booked him and his GF on a 7 Caribbean day cruise leaving on Sunday $900 a person including airfare nobody can talk him out of it. I told him to take a crib board and pack for 21 days if he can get back at all, booked an inside cabin to boot.
Oh to be young and quarantined with a 20 year old.

Meanwhile at Superstore the pandemic panic buy continues people buying Tylenol, cough medicine, cases of soup, tomatoes, vegetables I've nerver seen that many there at 8:30 AM.
Remember that if you get quarantined on a cruise ship, you still have to pay your room and food. It’s in the small print of the agreement.
Old 03-13-2020, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muirsy View Post
Because the weight of hundreds people's knowledge who are much smarter than anyone on this
forum & who've dedicated their lives to studying infectious diseases have told us that this is more serious.

But....you're probably right
I found the smarter people..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FeJff3o_qHI
Old 03-13-2020, 10:23 AM

Quote:
I found the smarter people..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FeJff3o_qHI
Keep cherry picking
Old 03-13-2020, 10:28 AM

Wink Meanwhile, in Thailand

Quote:
Hundreds of monkeys normally fed by tourists fight for food on Thai street
I can hear the plea that is soon to come: "Please, won't someone think about the monkeys? They need our help. All these heartless people concerned about their own lives while the innocents suffer in silence."

https://calgarysun.com/news/world/hu...4-b7045c742444

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 03-13-2020, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewM View Post
Remember that if you get quarantined on a cruise ship, you still have to pay your room and food. It’s in the small print of the agreement.

So, sue me. You're restraining me against my will.

Grizz
Old 03-13-2020, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB_AOL View Post
Well.. There are resorts "shutting down" in the Arizona area now, and sending people home, so, it's happening now.

And if the Westjet thing is true (which I doubt at this stage in the game), then it'll be interesting.
Thanks.. I wasn’t sure what the resorts were doing, good info Thanks for this
Zip

"Good judgement comes from experience, and experience...well,That comes from poor Judgement"
"KEEP SMILING"
Zip
Old 03-13-2020, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban rednek View Post
I can hear the plea that is soon to come: "Please, won't someone think about the monkeys? They need our help. All these heartless people concerned about their own lives while the innocents suffer in silence."

https://calgarysun.com/news/world/hu...4-b7045c742444
Is it how the planet of the apes started? The last thing we need right now is monkeys running the show with this outbreak. Oh, wait...
Old 03-13-2020, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
So, sue me. You're restraining me against my will.

Grizz
Lol if only lawyer fees were cheap! Not sure if they restrain you or if no country will let you off the ship. If you can’t get off then not really the ship company’s fault. Would be an interesting court case. May be cheaper to start swimming!
Old 03-13-2020, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigjohn87 View Post
Simple, close the door. If you willingly leave any country while there is a pandemic going on, the onus is on you to be prepared to not be allowed back in. Canada should have sealed the border as soon as China quarantined 60m people. 1 week to get back here from Europe by plane, and 1 week to get back here from USA by any method. After that the door is closed, no planes or vehicles allowed into Canada.

Canada is facing a 35-70% infection rate. I would have much rather left people stranded then put people here who were minding their own business at risk.
That’s a good insight into what should have happened, but it didn’t and now what??
Zip

"Good judgement comes from experience, and experience...well,That comes from poor Judgement"
"KEEP SMILING"
Zip
Old 03-13-2020, 10:51 AM

Quote:

I have my doubts you have any interest in understanding but I will say this anyways. The problem with this virus is the combination of it being HIGHLY contagious (far higher than the MSM has been reporting to date and that is a big part of what sets this virus apart from SARS, MERS and H1N1) and +10% of patients move to serious/critical status many needing medical support to survive. And many needed medical support for weeks not just days. That affects bed availability greatly. Italy is dealing with the same thing Wuhan did and soon every country that took this too lightly is going to feel that hospital pinch.

The only way we can limit the spread of the airborne virus to not flood ICU's in the coming months is to take extreme isolation measures to stop the spread. I would also add the flooded hospital scenario has a direct effect on ultimate mortality rates and will also affect the fear factor as people as they come to realize hospitals aren't an option any more. Mortality rates will be affected for both those that have the virus and also those critical non-virus patients that no longer have access to sufficient doctors because doctors are simply overrun.

We do not have unlimited ICU beds and we do not have unlimited ICU staff at the best of times. I would point out that many of the cases that are being classed as "mild" are exhibiting pneumonia and many are very sick for weeks. Sick as in not able to work 18hrs/d at an overrun hospital sick. Put 10-30% of medical staff out with heavy illness add in a shortage of free ventilators then what? Also there was quite a number of relatively young medical personnel 30-50YO that died of the virus in Wuhan. No reason to believe that won't happen here as well.
Old 03-13-2020, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
There was an outbreak in 2013?
Oops....Meant 2020 but I am old and will probably die first anyways
Old 03-13-2020, 10:57 AM

^ Lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Elkster View Post
I have my doubts you have any interest in understanding
Also lol.
Old 03-13-2020, 11:05 AM

Wink Meanwhile, in Australia

At least Tom didn't have to survive a plane crash this time.

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell

Last edited by sns2; 03-19-2020 at 08:23 AM.
Old 03-13-2020, 11:09 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott h View Post
Probably for 2 reasons.
1) H1N1 (influenza A) can be VERY bad, as witnessed by a previous post pointing out a young person in Manitoba dying or being ventilate due to it. Even at it's worst, it is still predicted to have 1/10 of Covid 19
2) Lack of social media
1) Actually we don't know that for sure yet. When H1N1 first hit it was thought to be far deadlier than it turned out to be...the same may apply to Covid 19. In countries such as South Korea that have done extensive testing it has been shown that there are a lot of people testing positive with absolutely no symptoms. Take these people into account and even WHO says the mortality rate could be much less than 1%. We won't know for sure till it all shakes out.
2)Social media...the great bugaboo in my opinion. H1N1 was very serious...a 'horrors' pandemic. But we survived it. And it didn't cause the mass hysteria because it wasn't blowing up on social media...which in 2009 was really just starting.
We have to be careful...but to a large degree this is a manufactured crisis brought on by social (UNSOCIAL) media.
Fact is there are 150 know cases in Canada...one elderly person with a underlying respiratory condition has passed away.
Old 03-13-2020, 11:14 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtodrick View Post
1) Actually we don't know that for sure yet. When H1N1 first hit it was thought to be far deadlier than it turned out to be...the same may apply to Covid 19. In countries such as South Korea that have done extensive testing it has been shown that there are a lot of people testing positive with absolutely no symptoms. Take these people into account and even WHO says the mortality rate could be much less than 1%. We won't know for sure till it all shakes out.
2)Social media...the great bugaboo in my opinion. H1N1 was very serious...a 'horrors' pandemic. But we survived it. And it didn't cause the mass hysteria because it wasn't blowing up on social media...which in 2009 was really just starting.
We have to be careful...but to a large degree this is a manufactured crisis brought on by social (UNSOCIAL) media.
Fact is there are 150 know cases in Canada...one elderly person with a underlying respiratory condition has passed away.
You know Bob, if you keep posting common sense stuff like this there is going to be a lot of toilet paper for sale on Kijjiji….
Old 03-13-2020, 11:14 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMichaud View Post
Oops....Meant 2020 but I am old and will probably die first anyways
Ok, wasn’t sure.

Looking at the charts it’s kind of disheartening to the sky is falling gang.