Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-20-2011, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubbdarter View Post
In a classy and emotional meeting today, the Slave lake firechief was in Calgary today to thank the hundreds of Calgary firefighters who responded to their citys disaster.
The Province will pick up the tab for Team Red's mission to Slave Lake.

Proud to be Albertan
Thanks Chubbdarter, good update!

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 06-20-2011, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
Thanks Chubbdarter, good update!

Slave Lake showing appreciation for Calgary

Coutts addressed Council on Monday morning saying that things would have been different if Calgary wasn't there.
Updated: Mon Jun. 20 2011 11:29:16

ctvcalgary.ca

The Slave Lake Fire Chief Jamie Coutts is in town today to show his community's appreciation for the support extended by the City of Calgary in fighting the wildfires in May.

Coutts addressed Council on Monday morning saying that things would have been different if Calgary wasn't there. "This disaster would have went much differently, if you wouldn't have done what you did. If they wouldn't have done what they did."

Members from the Calgary Fire Department, Canada Task Force 2, the Calgary Emergency Management Agency and Public Safety Communications were deployed to Slave Lake for two weeks.

They helped with preventing the spread of fires inside the community, establishing an effective Emergency Operations Centre, providing an Emergency Medical Assistance Task Force, and providing water filtration units, heaters, tents, power generators, in addition to a number of other resources.

Coutts said the boost really made the difference. "Yeah, no question. 144 people all at once, equipment, knowledge and know-how makes a big difference. The one example I used about the fencing was a good example. A two-day job turned into a 12 hour job at night. It shrinks down the amount of time it took to get people home."

Calgary crews worked alongside 26 other protective services agencies from across the province.

7,000 people were forced to flee from their homes as the massive forest fire left their town in ruins.

The wildfires in Slave Lake destroyed thousands of homes and businesses in the community.

The province recently released soil samples taken from the area that show it is safe for the community to begin the rebuilding process.

Samples from 25 different locations showed that the levels of dioxins, furans, petroleum hydrocarbons, and metals are all within safe ranges, with only one site being the exception.

The Calgary units that were deployed to Slave Lake returned on May 30.
Old 07-05-2011, 10:38 AM

Default Will and Kate to visit

Apparently they didnt get the memo to watch out for BB416

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...lave-lake.html
Old 07-05-2011, 11:41 AM

people are working hard to get their lives put back together before its -30

This is something they need?

Prince Ears the II better be writing a huge cheque or two while he is up there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishingMOM View Post
Apparently they didnt get the memo to watch out for BB416

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...lave-lake.html
Old 07-05-2011, 02:06 PM
Banned

I'm sorry but money isn't the answer to it all.... it will however help defray the $8,000,000.oo tab sent to the town by one of the fire depts..
Old 07-05-2011, 10:02 PM

I actually applaud the Royals for visiting..too often after a disaster people forget the challenges the people face in starting over. This will put the tragedy back in the public view once more...they certainly did not have to add this stop to an otherwise busy tour...
Old 07-06-2011, 12:32 AM
Banned

X 10, KF, Myself and the whole town will be out today,now, for no other reason than to show our appreciation for them in thinking of us.. Undoubtably, they could have done a thousand other things but they came to us and we will not forget them. We sure hope we will be able to get sight of them at some point in time. Some 50 individuals have been chosen to be in their presence at a gathering in our Community college. Sadly, I'm not one of them but I will know quite a number of those in attendance and I will huddle with some of them immediately following their departure..Already, Tues. afternoon, security was seen scoping out the town and routes to be followed. Early last week it was speculated that they might be dropping in as inquiries were made as to whether a Herc could land on our runway. It is the carrier of their limo ..that is my guess..but they will be here and that's the main thing..
God bless the Queen, Will and Kate....
Old 07-06-2011, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough doug View Post
X 10, KF, Myself and the whole town will be out today,now, for no other reason than to show our appreciation for them in thinking of us.. Undoubtably, they could have done a thousand other things but they came to us and we will not forget them. We sure hope we will be able to get sight of them at some point in time. Some 50 individuals have been chosen to be in their presence at a gathering in our Community college. Sadly, I'm not one of them but I will know quite a number of those in attendance and I will huddle with some of them immediately following their departure..Already, Tues. afternoon, security was seen scoping out the town and routes to be followed. Early last week it was speculated that they might be dropping in as inquiries were made as to whether a Herc could land on our runway. It is the carrier of their limo ..that is my guess..but they will be here and that's the main thing..
God bless the Queen, Will and Kate....
hand that pr*ck a hammer and some nails when he steps out of his rolls royce
Old 07-06-2011, 01:07 PM
Banned

How severe is this problem of yours....whatever....
They were in a large windowed bus when they went by and were kinda hard to see thru the smoked windows.. but I did see Will, kate may have been on the other side for those on that side of the street... There sure was a lot of people around and I'm sure a lot never saw anything, but I don't think that is what it was all about.... just them being there for us, tells me something about them, maybe not to all, but to He** with those who have their own problems...

We, in Slave have our own to contend with and THEY have made it easier for us on this day..
Old 07-07-2011, 05:36 PM

Where exactly were you standing sourdough doug?

I went yesterday. What a nice town! I did see the areas that were fire ravaged and it was totally eerie and sad. An eye opening experience and much different than seeing it on the television.

As for the Royals visiting-- I thought it was fantastic. What a great gesture to show how they care by requesting to come to Slave Lake and hear the stories of people involved. I was in the center, about 5 feet from the barricade and save for some savages pushing and shoving and elbowing to get closer it was a nice event.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Black R/T View Post
hand that pr*ck a hammer and some nails when he steps out of his rolls royce
Lame man. And FYI, they did not come with a limo or Rolls Royce to ride around in. They rode on a bus, like normal people, and left to the airport in a Grand Cherokee, like normal people.

And the thing with William & Kate is that they are into giving back and getting their hands dirty, so had they been handed a hammer and nails they would have only asked "Where would you like us to start?".

Last edited by Lone_Wolf; 07-07-2011 at 05:43 PM.
Old 07-07-2011, 07:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone_Wolf View Post
Where exactly were you standing sourdough doug?

I went yesterday. What a nice town! I did see the areas that were fire ravaged and it was totally eerie and sad. An eye opening experience and much different than seeing it on the television.

As for the Royals visiting-- I thought it was fantastic. What a great gesture to show how they care by requesting to come to Slave Lake and hear the stories of people involved. I was in the center, about 5 feet from the barricade and save for some savages pushing and shoving and elbowing to get closer it was a nice event.

Lame man. And FYI, they did not come with a limo or Rolls Royce to ride around in. They rode on a bus, like normal people, and left to the airport in a Grand Cherokee, like normal people.

And the thing with William & Kate is that they are into giving back and getting their hands dirty, so had they been handed a hammer and nails they would have only asked "Where would you like us to start?".
X2^^^ Some people have just never travelled outside of our borders, enough to form intelligent opinions. Never judge why some society's (sp) do what we don't think is right. It is what they believe and understand, not for us to judge
Old 07-07-2011, 11:56 PM
Banned

Hi to you Lone Wolf,
Early on in the wait for their arrival, I was pretty much front row and center, about 15 yds. north of the paporatzi. However, due to so many people, --"mothers with THEIR children"-- pushing thru to the front, I was relegated to the back row. Rather than say anything to these people and ruin MY day I just enjoyed the moment, watching other nice folk sieze the moment as well..
Having seen them myself, no one could convince me they are not the genuine people as they portray, spin it however others would. I must say, I am somewhat disappointed with some of the comments made by our members.. Everyone to their own opinion but some are just bitter but I guess they manage to live with themselves.
Anyway, it's my loss that I didn't know we might have AO people visiting us. Had I known you were coming, I coulda baked a cake and maybe I could have had BB416 buy both of us a coffee--yeah right--maybe next time you pass by, you'll take us up on the invite...
Old 07-08-2011, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLeahy View Post
X2^^^ Some people have just never travelled outside of our borders, enough to form intelligent opinions. Never judge why some society's (sp) do what we don't think is right. It is what they believe and understand, not for us to judge
ive been around the globe twice in my life....more travelling than i would like to do ever again.

i have a pretty firm grasp of the world outside of our great country.

My hate is not directed at the monarchy or royalty....but at the pedestal people place celeb's on.

Lone Wolf:

You honestly think he would have said where do we start?

14 security guards would have tackled you and you would be typing dilusional posts from quantanamo bay

again ive seen the world...and ive seen poverty that would make you guys sick to your stomach..but a guy and his wife with never a fear of wanting for ANYTHING in their life goes on a free vacation and somehow that is helping a town that looks like a war zone?

You people need to give your head a shake. You still think Will and Kate care about you. Give it time. The truth always will shine through. Just like it did on the santa clause thing.
Old 07-08-2011, 09:02 AM
Banned

I really hope -what was a very informative thread, doesn't turn into a
pi$$ing contest, because of "a certain individuals" outlook on life. That was not the thread starters intent, believe me. so just maybe we can let this aspect go away....
Old 07-08-2011, 09:10 AM

Im cool with that....we dont agree...and im also cool with that.

I realize Im the "certain individual" you speak of. And if you honestly think that a discussion is only comprised of ONE opinion....im cool with that too!! (im in a good mood this morning)

Back on track you say? deal!!

Old 07-08-2011, 10:12 AM
Banned

Hi R/T
Firstly, I'm glad you are having a good start to your day and may it continue.
We all have our days and believe me when I say, like others, I've had mine. ...
Old 07-08-2011, 10:37 AM

Same to you

Quote:
it will however help defray the $8,000,000.oo tab sent to the town by one of the fire depts..
do you have a link or anything more about this?

ive heard this from a few sources so far but failed to find any resources saying anything more about it.

seems as of late if you type in a search for anything relating to slave lake all you get is will and kate headlines LOL
Old 07-08-2011, 01:31 PM

Oh these pour souls. If it isnt one thing its the next.

SLAVE LAKE, Alta. - Slave Lake, the northern Alberta town devastated by a forest fire, is being deluged with water.
Heavy rain overnight has flooded basements and roads.
Portions of Highways 2 and 33 just outside of town are closed and traffic is being diverted.
RCMP say water swept one car into a guardrail, but no one was injured.
Deer have been forced onto roads because forested areas are flooded and the animals have nowhere else to go.
More moisture is forecast and Environment Canada has issued a rainfall warning for the region.
Old 07-08-2011, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishingMOM View Post
Oh these pour souls. If it isnt one thing its the next.

SLAVE LAKE, Alta. - Slave Lake, the northern Alberta town devastated by a forest fire, is being deluged with water.
Heavy rain overnight has flooded basements and roads.
Portions of Highways 2 and 33 just outside of town are closed and traffic is being diverted.
RCMP say water swept one car into a guardrail, but no one was injured.
Deer have been forced onto roads because forested areas are flooded and the animals have nowhere else to go.
More moisture is forecast and Environment Canada has issued a rainfall warning for the region.
Good freaking God, you poor people. My prayers continue for all people affected.
Cheers
Old 07-08-2011, 03:07 PM

Supposed to rain up here till the 15th... I have a feeling I'm gonna be putting in some OT and closing down more roads.
Sittin' here waitin' on a deer, drinkin' beer and wastin' bullets, Aimin' at the empties, missin' hittin' pine trees, It ain't my fault them cans keep movin', My baby's on the phone sayin' baby come home, Where you been and What you've been doin', We'll I've been, sittin' here, waitin' on a deer
Drinkin' beer and wastin' bullets
Old 07-08-2011, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough doug View Post
Hi to you Lone Wolf,
Early on in the wait for their arrival, I was pretty much front row and center, about 15 yds. north of the paporatzi. However, due to so many people, --"mothers with THEIR children"-- pushing thru to the front, I was relegated to the back row. Rather than say anything to these people and ruin MY day I just enjoyed the moment, watching other nice folk sieze the moment as well..
I was close to you then! I was also in the center, about 3 rows back. Perhaps you saw me--I was wearing a Yankees hat, had sunglasses on, tan shorts, and an "SRD Forest Protection" t-shirt. I stood my ground where I was, but I can vouch for you as well when you say people were pushing to get to the front. Some people needed to get a grip and realize they weren't the only people there.
Old 07-08-2011, 09:32 PM
Banned

"Deer have been forced onto roads because forested areas are flooded and the animals have nowhere else to go."

Well, yeah, we have had a fair bit of rain, but I don't really think we are that hard done by--YET. So I would like to quell this rumour b4 the B- gets too deep itself.

This aft. the Slave River was flowing back into the lake bcuz the river itself could not handle the inflow from the nearby creeks. This isn't the first time I've seen this as it happened in the big one of '88, that bit me big time as well.

Tomorrow, we have our River Boat Days scheduled, more affectionatey called "Rubber Boot Daze". Sure hoping we can get the parade off successfully as lots of people will be out for it as they were for Will and Kate..anything to get our heads wrapped around something other than where we've been. And, why not-- what the heck...
.................We Lakers are not victims.....WE'RE SURVIVORS..............
Old 07-19-2011, 11:11 AM

Here's an interesting story. Fire Chief Jamie Coutts of the Slave Lake Fire Department gives his account of what happened the weekend Slave Lake burned down.
Old 07-25-2011, 09:49 AM

Saw this on my university departmental weekly newsletter. Message self explanatory.

Drums to Give Away
If any of you know any musicians in Slave Lake that were affected by the fire, please read.
I've got an 8-pc green Westbury drum kit that I haven't touched in years. I'd love to help out the people of Slave Lake after the tragic fire but I don't have a lot of money to donate. And I'm sure that there's a drummer up there who lost their drum kit.
I don't know anyone in Slave Lake but if you do, could you forward this to them?
Please contact Herman Cortes
Stafford Lab Z-509
hdc2@ualberta.ca
492-9258
Old 07-25-2011, 11:08 AM
Banned

I will keep my ears open, but maybe I won't hear anything, so it might be best if I just ask around for you..not a problem. Thx for thinking of those people you, hopefully, can assist...
Old 08-03-2011, 09:29 AM

Drums found a home with someone from Slave Lake, thanks to kindness of UofA graduate student.

ticdoc
Old 08-03-2011, 06:24 PM

Alberta Government has promised another 189 million more dollars to help rebuild Slave Lake.

Which brings the amount to 289 million.

Then they(province) turns around and ask the feds to refund the province the same amount.
Old 08-08-2011, 10:19 PM

I was just at Slave Lake on the long weekend. The community is starting to rebuild. It is tear jerking to see so many dream places burned to the ground that you know people saved their whole life to afford.
Old 08-09-2011, 09:46 AM

Default I was there last week.

What a beautiful area, and the Lake is spectacular.
[IMG][/IMG]

I got a sense that the community is very resilient. Most of the burned buildings (that I saw) have been knocked down already, and there's real progress in cleaning up.

I think Slave Lake will be back better than ever.
Old 08-10-2011, 03:51 PM

http://news.ca.msn.com/top-stories/s...calgary-dump-1

Tags
fire, slave lake