Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 04-06-2014, 03:55 PM
Banned

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by expmler View Post
Wrong, Sandy Hook school, the Aurora Theatre, Fort hood were all gun free zones where arming yourself for self defense was prohibited.
Firstly sandy hook is in Massachusetts therfore encompassed by firearms and ccw so close at hand with no motivated individuals willing to join the frey. Ft hood well you've had way too much cool aide. Well throwing pop corn gets you shot at other theaters soooo ill leave that one to stew.
Old 04-06-2014, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild&Free View Post
a taser or can of mace?

self defense classes?

personally I find it more liberating to not need to carry a gun. what ifs be damned. if I packed around something for every what if scenario I'd need a rickshaw to pull it all around in and still not have what I need for what if.
Where are you getting your tasers and mace from?

Or are they also illegal.
Old 04-06-2014, 04:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish gunner View Post
Firstly sandy hook is in Massachusetts therfore encompassed by firearms and ccw so close at hand with no motivated individuals willing to join the frey. Ft hood well you've had way too much cool aide. Well throwing pop corn gets you shot at other theaters soooo ill leave that one to stew.
Sandy Hook school is located in Newtown, Connecticut. The only armed individuals were police and they didn't arrive until the killing was over.
Old 04-06-2014, 04:07 PM

Quote:
a taser or can of mace?

self defense classes?

personally I find it more liberating to not need to carry a gun. what ifs be damned. if I packed around something for every what if scenario I'd need a rickshaw to pull it all around in and still not have what I need for what if.
Both just as legal as a snub nose 38 in Canada.

A 250 lb guy decides he 'wants' that 90 lb gal. Do you really think Tae-Bo is going to be as effective as a firearm?

Again, it isn't 'need', it's the right to decide for yourself. Regardless of where you are, the world isn't all sunshine and roses.

As far as needing a rickshaw, not if you apply common sense....

I'm outside all day and it will be dry and windy- Chapstick

It's day time and the skies are clear - sunglasses and a hat

Looks like rain -umbrella

I'm a 105 lb woman who has to walk 3 blocks to my vehicle in the dark when I get off shift at the hospital - purse pistol
Old 04-06-2014, 04:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
Sandy Hook school is located in Newtown, Connecticut. The only armed individuals were police and they didn't arrive until the killing was over.
Wikipedia failed you this time gunner. Sandy hook is a place in Massachusetts. Sandy hook school is in Connecticut. Sucks when your Wikipedia intelligence fails you eh
Old 04-06-2014, 04:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 220swifty View Post
Both just as legal as a snub nose 38 in Canada.

A 250 lb guy decides he 'wants' that 90 lb gal. Do you really think Tae-Bo is going to be as effective as a firearm?

Again, it isn't 'need', it's the right to decide for yourself. Regardless of where you are, the world isn't all sunshine and roses.

As far as needing a rickshaw, not if you apply common sense....

I'm outside all day and it will be dry and windy- Chapstick

It's day time and the skies are clear - sunglasses and a hat

Looks like rain -umbrella

I'm a 105 lb woman who has to walk 3 blocks to my vehicle in the dark when I get off shift at the hospital - purse pistol
Mace, Taser and fighting skills.

All something that could be used against a woman, but he has no problem with people carrying that.

Also thinks that if he feels safe your concerns are in valid, and you don't know how best to protect yourself.
Old 04-06-2014, 04:32 PM
Banned

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burglecut83 View Post
Wikipedia failed you this time gunner. Sandy hook is a place in Massachusetts. Sandy hook school is in Connecticut. Sucks when your Wikipedia intelligence fails you eh
No my memory was wrong didnt use a link. Lets see what connecticuts firearms laws are then who want to guess how many firearms were within one block radius. Yep ccw state . Guns on hips at every point of the compass. Didnt save a single life at that school, not one
Old 04-06-2014, 04:32 PM

Just a disclaimer I'm actually a 300 lb dude, just trying to see it from another point of view.

Thought I should say that, as I know I had Gust confused a while back.
Old 04-06-2014, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Mace, Taser and fighting skills.

All something that could be used against a woman, but he has no problem with people carrying that.

Also thinks that if he feels safe your concerns are in valid, and you don't know how best to protect yourself.
since when did you become an expert on me?

there are non lethal ways to defend yourself is what I was getting at. and a knee to the nuts will stop a 150# man as quick as a 250# man.

personally, I'd rather not live in fear of what if. I've had terrible experiences in my life and that hasn't made me afraid, it's made me more resilient.

We learn from history that we do not learn from history. - Hegel

Your obligation to fight has not been relieved because the battle is fierce and difficult. Ben Shapiro
Old 04-06-2014, 04:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
No my memory was wrong didnt use a link. Lets see what connecticuts firearms laws are then who want to guess how many firearms were within one block radius. Yep ccw state . Guns on hips at every point of the compass. Didnt save a single life at that school, not one
CCW is not allowed inside the school.
Old 04-06-2014, 04:38 PM

Quote:
So armed civilians couldn't do a thing about a gunmsn who had locked himself in a building with scores of unarmed victims. Not that shocking.

If there were 'good guns' in the building before the shooting started, it might have been different, but to expect a civilian to run into an active shooter situation, breach one or more locked doors, and engage the gunman , is not AT ALL what CCW is about. If a teacher, janitor, or administrator had been carrying though, then perhaps it would have gone down differently.
Old 04-06-2014, 04:41 PM
Banned

Cool

Quote:
CCW is not allowed inside the school.
So the 100 yrds of grass between the street and the school done what ??? Carring people within one block of that school why did none help . There all carrying firearms in case of what zombies ??? So a ccw state firearms every where around that school for miles in every direction not one made the smallest impact on the situstion every ones telling me they would carry for . Check .......
Old 04-06-2014, 04:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
since when did you become an expert on me?

there are non lethal ways to defend yourself is what I was getting at. and a knee to the nuts will stop a 150# man as quick as a 250# man.

personally, I'd rather not live in fear of what if. I've had terrible experiences in my life and that hasn't made me afraid, it's made me more resilient.
I am no more an expert on you than you are on me.

Yet you seem to think you know what kind of defense is best for me.

I will not limit your choices, don't limit mine.
Old 04-06-2014, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Carrying a personal firearm isn't being afraid of 'what if', it's having the answer to 'what if'
Old 04-06-2014, 04:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
So the 100 yrds of grass between the street and the school done what ??? Carring people within one block of that school why did none help . There all carrying firearms in case of what zombies ??? So a ccw state firearms every where around that school for miles in every direction not one made the smallest impact on the situstion every ones telling me they would carry for . Check .......
I'm sure no one knew what was going on. If they did they would of intervened. It would be totally gutless not to.
Old 04-06-2014, 04:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
The CCW people were following the rules, "No guns allowed in the school"
When the police lawfully entered the school (with firearms) they stopped further killing.
Old 04-06-2014, 04:48 PM
Banned

Cool

Quote:
Just a disclaimer I'm actually a 300 lb dude, just trying to see it from another point of view.

Your lucky, I was just going to ask out you 105 lb female alter ego .
Old 04-06-2014, 04:49 PM
Banned

Quote:

Darn, I signed back in to make a joke on that.
Old 04-06-2014, 04:51 PM

Quote:
CCW does not make you a member of a paramilitary organization, sworn to defend peace and safety wherever you may roam. It simply licences you to carry a weapon, in a concealed manner, for SELF defense. If you want to risk your personal safety to stop a gunman, then fill your boots. If not, I can't judge you, because I wasn't in your shoes.

Based on what you presented , Sandy Hook clearly illustrated that a world with CCW is not the 'Wild West', as CCW detractors would like you to believe. That is to say, no cowboys drew there sidearm, spit out their tobacco, and booted down the doors of the 'saloon' looking for a gun fight.
Old 04-06-2014, 04:54 PM
Banned

Cool

Quote:
The CCW people were following the rules, "No guns allowed in the school"
When the police lawfully entered the school (with firearms) they stopped further killing.
Nice try shooter took own life . Police simply showed up. If only one of the thousands of armed citizen's in the area could have showed up.
Old 04-06-2014, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Nice try shooter took own life . Police simply showed up. If only one of the thousands of armed citizen's in the area could have showed up.
Would he have taken his own life if the police had not yet entered, and he could carry on, unimpeded?
Old 04-06-2014, 05:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
As they usually do when confronted by superior fire power. If the rules would have allowed teachers with CCW permits to have their guns in the school he would have been stopped. But because someone like you who thinks CCW is ineffective or dangerous made up a "gun free zone rule' those children were sitting ducks at the mercy of a madman.
Old 04-06-2014, 05:10 PM

loose fire arm laws and ccw would mean more guns and by rule of numbers more nuts with guns. Which in the end means more gun murders and mass shootings.

More people with guns means more losers with guns too.

Best solution is more gun control Less people with guns means odds are in the portion of the population with guns there will be less psychos, losers etc with guns.

Even if 99.9999 percent of gun owners obey laws that one percentage point of turd apples multiplies with with more people having guns.
Old 04-06-2014, 05:11 PM
Banned

The debate seemed so much better when it was hand and/or gun to hand and/or gun defense debate. Sandy Hook and the guy who thought he was the joker - though they did happen - aren't that common an occurrence this side of the border, unless I missed something.

This is a funny sort of observation - not mine and out there if you look - on the U.S to the rest of the world; the U.S is the only country that can have dozens of murder mystery/crime shows, as it is plausible as it's the only country that has murder rates higher than what the shows kill rates are. A crime drama in England can only address murder several times in its run on TV to seem credible as almost every murder there is known to the public.

Question; how many times do you wish that you had a gun handy? and how did you manage the situation otherwise?

burgle told us his situation,, any others out there?
Old 04-06-2014, 05:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantonsen View Post
loose fire arm laws and ccw would mean more guns and by rule of numbers more nuts with guns. Which in the end means more gun murders and mass shootings.

More people with guns means more losers with guns too.

Best solution is more gun control Less people with guns means odds are in the portion of the population with guns there will be less psychos, losers etc with guns.

Even if 99.9999 percent of gun owners obey laws that one percentage point of turd apples multiplies with with more people having guns.
I was looking for an ATF report on a specific year and posted a quick reference in regards to misplaced firearms,, long to short of it was,, as soon as very extreme laws on securing firearms came about, those numbers of accidental discharge and also suicide dropped quite rapidly.

However, on another thread from last year, I posted an article on how criminals obtain guns stateside, and it turns out law abiding citizens sell them to criminals. What was interesting in that article was how they determined this,, they cross referenced it with thefts of guns reported against thefts unreported against purchases,, then they divided the legal purchases into odd days and even days or something like this,, argh, I'll try to find the article again as it's quite interesting.
Old 04-06-2014, 05:19 PM

Quote:
As they usually do when confronted by superior fire power. If the rules would have allowed teachers with CCW permits to have their guns in the school he would have been stopped. But because someone like you who thinks CCW is ineffective or dangerous made up a "gun free zone rule' those children were sitting ducks at the mercy of a madman.
Yes, of course this is the solution....

Lets get a bunch of people who aspired to teach young minds when they enrolled in university as acedemically high achieving students to become teachers in the future..... Lets take these academic pencil pushing mind nurturing people and give them a 1-2week crash course on handgun use.

Lets have these inexpireinced individuals pack handguns while they teach six year olds how to count while singing old macdonald had a barn.

These expert marksmen could use their skills with handguns to have gunfights with kids all over the place.

It is fairly obvious the more peolle that can enter a gunfight the better, more bullets and guns shooting should result in less injuries especially if the participants in said gunfights have no experience.

More guns equals more nimrods shooting.

Most people yapping about ccw are just a bunch of armchair internet cowboys, lol
Old 04-06-2014, 05:22 PM

Quote:
I am no more an expert on you than you are on me.

Yet you seem to think you know what kind of defense is best for me.

I will not limit your choices, don't limit mine.
really. because what I read was you making assumptions about what I said, as if you had some special insight.

you see for every reason you can think of for needing a gun for self defense, I could think of several variations of the same situation where the use of that gun takes an innocent life. beside someone actually pointing a gun at you, then the only defense is someone else shooting them as you'd most likely be shot for making any sudden move.

We learn from history that we do not learn from history. - Hegel

Your obligation to fight has not been relieved because the battle is fierce and difficult. Ben Shapiro
Old 04-06-2014, 05:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gust View Post
The debate seemed so much better when it was hand and/or gun to hand and/or gun defense debate. Sandy Hook and the guy who thought he was the joker - though they did happen - aren't that common an occurrence this side of the border, unless I missed something.

This is a funny sort of observation - not mine and out there if you look - on the U.S to the rest of the world; the U.S is the only country that can have dozens of murder mystery/crime shows, as it is plausible as it's the only country that has murder rates higher than what the shows kill rates are. A crime drama in England can only address murder several times in its run on TV to seem credible as almost every murder there is known to the public.

Question; how many times do you wish that you had a gun handy? and how did you manage the situation otherwise?

burgle told us his situation,, any others out there?
I haven't need a gun to defend myself yet.

I liken it to a police officer the majority of them go through their career without ever having to use their gun, but I would bet none of them would start their shift without it.
Old 04-06-2014, 05:33 PM
Banned

Cool

Quote:
So would a .50 mounted on the roof of the school . Cant you folks see its a society thing based on a nation of self involved pistol packing fear mongers . because these thing are so rare on the rest of the planet . Do they happen ? yes. do counties arm there citizens to prevent what in the rest of the world a .0001% occurance . fire arms accidents in the US alone is higher.??? Which part of that is difficult to get.
Old 04-06-2014, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantonsen View Post
Yes, of course this is the solution....

Lets get a bunch of people who aspired to teach young minds when they enrolled in university as acedemically high achieving students to become teachers in the future..... Lets take these academic pencil pushing mind nurturing people and give them a 1-2week crash course on handgun use.

Lets have these inexpireinced individuals pack handguns while they teach six year olds how to count while singing old macdonald had a barn.

These expert marksmen could use their skills with handguns to have gunfights with kids all over the place.

It is fairly obvious the more peolle that can enter a gunfight the better, more bullets and guns shooting should result in less injuries especially if the participants in said gunfights have no experience.

More guns equals more nimrods shooting.

Most people yapping about ccw are just a bunch of armchair internet cowboys, lol
Fear mongering and senseless rhetoric. The basis of most anti- CCW arguments.