Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-03-2024, 10:36 AM

Td on sale today ?
Old 05-03-2024, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishtank View Post
Td on sale today ?
They are getting kicked hard for screwing up their anti-money laundering and allowing 100s of million in drug money to get through. This has actually been going on for quite a while, it is the reason they backed out of the Horizons Bank purchase in the States, the US wouldn't approve it because of the money laundering investigation. As that turned out, was a good thing because they would have been over paying big time given what the Horizion's share price has done.

They face fines of 500 million to a billion so the market isn't reacting well to it. Realistically, a couple of billion in fines isn't going to affect TD very much but it should put them on good notice to pay more attention.
Old 05-03-2024, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
They are getting kicked hard for screwing up their anti-money laundering and allowing 100s of million in drug money to get through. This has actually been going on for quite a while, it is the reason they backed out of the Horizons Bank purchase in the States, the US wouldn't approve it because of the money laundering investigation. As that turned out, was a good thing because they would have been over paying big time given what the Horizion's share price has done.

They face fines of 500 million to a billion so the market isn't reacting well to it. Realistically, a couple of billion in fines isn't going to affect TD very much but it should put them on good notice to pay more attention.
Worst case might be up to 2 billion dollars, I think hsbc had the same amount fines for laundering money for the Mexican drug cartel . Banks in Canada is similar to telecom they are well protected from outside competition and charge the most for service fees. So that should’ve be able to weathered well .
Old 05-03-2024, 07:09 PM

Cdn banks are strong, and I’ll be looking to buy and hold them in the future.
Old 05-06-2024, 09:04 AM

I agree Eric. TD is down to $75, yielding over 5.5% at this price. The Pandemic low in 2020, was $57. They probably aren't out of the woods on the money laundering issues yet, but it is a well run bank and they will figure a way through this. I added yesterday at $74.20. May take some time for the share price to recover, but 5.5% is just to good to pass up.
Old 05-08-2024, 07:26 AM

When used, our minds can come up with huge, massive ideas. When looking at the big picture. We can come up with these huge ideas in a short period of time. But because these huge ideas and plans take a long time, sometimes years, to materialize, we lose sight of the big picture and lose confidence in our huge idea and plans. It’s in our psychology. Humans are reactive and impulsive by nature.

To be a good investor and manage risks and make money over the long haul, we must manage and control our emotions and psychology and continue to look ahead seeing the big picture.
Old 05-09-2024, 11:49 AM

Default Shout out to Dean

Quote:
Appreciate the thank yous. I post a fair amount on this thread because it is a subject I spend a lot of time on, and I hope what I have learned gets passed on and is helpful to others who might not have the same access to information and 45 years of experience. I also find it quite interesting to have so much information written down in one thread, and to be able to go back over the posts from the beginning and look at how things have evolved over the past 4 years. I have started at post one and read all the way through a couple of times; truly a very interesting exercise.

I have always believed the very best thing you can do for your children is to make them financially literate. Starting to invest young is far and away the easiest way to end up wealthy. Our schools should be doing a much better job of teaching kids that. Even university fails miserably at teaching financial literacy to their students. I have guest lectured a large number of MBA classes, and was initially amazed that most students didn't even know what the Rule of 72 is, let alone many more complicated investment principles.

The other reason is to give people a perspective to perhaps evaluate the information they are getting from their financial advisors. There are good advisors out there, and a great many mediocre to bad ones. We all need a way to try to be able to separate them without going through 3 years of zero or negative returns to determine if they are any good.

Something I posted on another thread that relates to the posts above about U.S. dollar investments -

For larger quantities of U.S. dollars, say over 5000, Knightsbridge is worth checking out. Also worth checking is AMA and the Snow Birds Club. For small amounts of cash I just use the Bank.

In my case, when I travel I have a U.S. dollar credit card, that gets paid out of my U.S. dollar bank account automatically. U.S. dollar investments are sold to add cash to the U.S. dollar account. I hold a fairly large chunk of investments in U.S. dollars. That way I am not subject to the fluctuating exchange rate and am insulated from Trudeau's drive to make the Canadian dollar worth 25 cents..

https://www.knightsbridgefx.com/?msc...52e9b0106d85d4

These guys are well worth being a member of if you travel a lot.

https://www.snowbirds.org/

APRIL 2024 Exchange Rate

USD/CAD = 1.3674
( *$1 USD will cost you $1.3674 CAD )

CAD/USD = 0.7313
Thanks Dean for sharing your financial experience and wisdom. You have sure helped us out immensely!! I'm going to get up your way eventually and buy you a damn good lunch. Take care!
Old 05-09-2024, 06:36 PM

Hello Dean. I would like to hear you opinion on TD Bank. Maybe its just me, but I think this could get really ugly for them. My thoughts are that the US is going to take advantage of this and flex their muscle. I think to make an example, they may kick them out of the US just to make a point that they don't tolerate money laundering. (Talking about the pot calling the kettle black).
Also is their any way that they could lose their status as a bank. These laundering charges are quite serious. Could the RICO act or something equivalent be applied to something like this.
Maybe i am wrong.
I appreciate your response
"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!" 1935-Adolf Hitler
Old 05-10-2024, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxwell78 View Post
Hello Dean. I would like to hear you opinion on TD Bank. Maybe its just me, but I think this could get really ugly for them. My thoughts are that the US is going to take advantage of this and flex their muscle. I think to make an example, they may kick them out of the US just to make a point that they don't tolerate money laundering. (Talking about the pot calling the kettle black).
Also is their any way that they could lose their status as a bank. These laundering charges are quite serious. Could the RICO act or something equivalent be applied to something like this.
Maybe i am wrong.
I appreciate your response
If I thought any of that was likely to happen I would not have bought more a few days ago, which got added to a fairly large number of shares I already hold.

The TD is the 10th largest Bank in the States, many of their largest banks have been investigated for money laundering, and much larger and more pervasive/intentional laundering operations. Outside of fines, no other action has ever been taken. This is political theatre, they waited five years after the laundering happened to lay charges. Large banks are a nice set of deep pockets to grab some serious cash from, and it is a lot easier to go after them than the actual criminals.

The Banking melt down in 2008 was Trillions, harmed millions, NOBODY went to jail, and the large banks got bailed out. AML is important, and it needs to be enforced, but no one is going to be shutting down major banks over it.

Last edited by Dean2; 05-10-2024 at 07:10 AM.
Old 05-14-2024, 08:46 AM

Anyone still holding ZIM, you may want to keep an eye on it. It has crawled back up to $18, from $10 not that long ago. Depending on what you paid getting in you may be getting close to being able to get out.

I have seen the big drop in Shopify, and Parkland, neither temps me to buy in. Shop still doesn't make money, and Parkland is packing way too much debt and has a large fight going with a big shareholder.

TD, BCE, Telus have all come back off their recent lows. All still paying good dividends, TD 5.3, Telus 7.0 and BCE 8.6. Been picking up additional shares, over and above the drip, in each as I go along.

Royal is up to $142 so, the drip is still going but I am not adding any extra at these prices.

PPL has gone from $37 a little over a year ago, to now trading at $50, and still throwing off a 5.4% dividend but that to me is pretty fully valued. If PPL makes any moves to buy Keystone, and so far they are saying they have no interest, but if that changed I would dump every one of their shares I hold. By the way KGB, you still owe me a crock on this one.

TRP is trading at much better valuations so I have been adding a few of these. The market does not seem to be happy with the upcoming split of the company but since TRP will retain the nat gas, renewables, and non oil-pipeline assets, with the Oil Pipes going to South Bow, and the extra shares from the new company are immediately sellable, I think the SP reduction is over done. This however is far from a certainty so this one now has a higher risk profile than a standard pipeline company would, and the current price may be not as much as bargain as I think it is.

Interest rates continue to show little signs of coming down any time soon, the latest jobs report showing strong job growth, as well as Core inflation still well above target, will have spooked the BOC, so will push out reductions.

A little TRP info

TC Energy shareholders as of the record date of April 16, 2024 will receive, in exchange for each TC Energy share, one new TC Energy share and 0.2 of a South Bow common share. Shareholder dividends, on a pro forma combined basis, are expected to remain whole between TC Energy and South Bow following the spinoff Transaction.

Shareholder dividend expected to remain whole1
Expected dividend split to be:

~86% TC Energy
~14% South Bow

1 Dividends are at the discretion of the respective Board of Directors.

TC Energy shareholders as of the record date of April 16, 2024 will receive, in exchange for each TC Energy share, one new TC Energy share and 0.2 of a South Bow common share. Shareholder dividends, on a pro forma combined basis, are expected to remain whole between TC Energy and South Bow following the spinoff Transaction.

~86% TC Energy
~14% South Bow

https://www.tcenergy.com/investors/liquids-spinoff/#faq

Quote:
TC Energy (TRP TSX)

TC Energy is one of North America’s largest energy infrastructure companies, moving 25 per cent of the continent’s natural gas flows across Canada, the U.S. and Mexico. The company is a high-quality, predictable cash flow and dividend grower with 90 per cent of the business operating under a regulated return framework or under long-term toll contracts. With the commissioning of the LNG Canada export terminal next year, the business should start to reap the rewards from its stake in the Coastal Gas Link pipeline, and similarly next year should benefit from the commissioning of its Southeast Gateway offshore gas pipeline in Mexico. The shares trade at a meagre 12.5 times earnings and offer a generous yield of 7.4 per cent with a dividend that we expect will grow three to five per cent per year. The major transformational catalyst ahead is the spin-off of South Bow next month, which will separate the oil pipelines segment from the remaining business units, likely unlocking value as shares of the two separate companies finally migrate into the hands of their natural owners. The retained gas and nuclear/renewable energy segments within TC Energy will be purged of the ESG-unfriendly oil pipelines, with attendant upward re-rating potential and South Bow will freed from the larger entity and purely focused on maximizing cash flows from its mature and irreplaceable oil pipelines – a potentially compelling appeal to ESG-agnostic investors.

Last edited by Dean2; 05-14-2024 at 08:52 AM.
Old 05-14-2024, 10:14 AM

[QUOTE=Dean2;4723416]
PPL has gone from $37 a little over a year ago, to now trading at $50, and still throwing off a 5.4% dividend but that to me is pretty fully valued. If PPL makes any moves to buy Keystone, and so far they are saying they have no interest, but if that changed I would dump every one of their shares I hold. By the way KGB, you still owe me a crock on this one.

Dean
Could you expand a little on this topic? Keen to hear.
I have held Pembina for many years and am very happy with my returns.
Would hate to see a drop in value.
Thanks in advance
Old 05-14-2024, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Anyone still holding ZIM, you may want to keep an eye on it. It has crawled back up to $18, from $10 not that long ago. Depending on what you paid getting in you may be getting close to being able to get out.

I have seen the big drop in Shopify, and Parkland, neither temps me to buy in. Shop still doesn't make money, and Parkland is packing way too much debt and has a large fight going with a big shareholder.

TD, BCE, Telus have all come back off their recent lows. All still paying good dividends, TD 5.3, Telus 7.0 and BCE 8.6. Been picking up additional shares, over and above the drip, in each as I go along.

Royal is up to $142 so, the drip is still going but I am not adding any extra at these prices.

TRP is trading at much better valuations so I have been adding a few of these. The market does not seem to be happy with the upcoming split of the company but since TRP will retain the nat gas, renewables, and non oil-pipeline assets, with the Oil Pipes going to South Bow, and the extra shares from the new company are immediately sellable, I think the SP reduction is over done. This however is far from a certainty so this one now has a higher risk profile than a standard pipeline company would, and the current price may be not as much as bargain as I think it is.

Interest rates continue to show little signs of coming down any time soon, the latest jobs report showing strong job growth, as well as Core inflation still well above target, will have spooked the BOC, so will push out reductions.

A little TRP info

~86% TC Energy
~14% South Bow

~86% TC Energy
~14% South Bow

https://www.tcenergy.com/investors/liquids-spinoff/#faq
Oh buddy I will buy you a beer any time for that one. But I’m afraid I will be hammered by the end of the evening on your dime for the ECI…
Old 05-14-2024, 01:55 PM

KGB If you go back and check what I said about ESI, I was very clear that I bought it in the 30s to 80 cent range, if I remeber right my average was right around 60cents. I bought during the lows in 2020. I was hoping it would go to 6 bucks, for a true and very rare ten bagger. I sold some when it hit 5 bucks to get my initial investment back. I also said I ended up selling the rest around 3.60 for only a 6 bagger, becuae I had lost faith it would ever go to 6. I never once said I was buying any in the 2.80 or above range. If you decided to buy at 3 bucks hoping for 6, that is on you. I have bought and sold ESI for over 30 years. It is VERY volatile and it is NOT A buy and hold stock nor is it easily predictable. Only Murray Edwards involvement even makes it worth considering.

I too like PPL and have had a position for many years. However if they move to buy the mess that is Keystone I want no part of them. I think Keystone way over spent and will take forever to pay off. I also think there is very likely a whole bunch of hidden construction issues and defects, not to mention how many under cover deals that were cut with whole raft of people, including every Band on the right of way. That whole pipeline has so many potential massive problems and hidden cost, I doubt it will ever pay for itself. I want no part of a massive project that was run by the government.

Last edited by Dean2; 05-14-2024 at 02:00 PM.
Old 05-14-2024, 07:26 PM

It’s all good Dean, I am not blaming you for anything, I am a big boy and it was my decision to buy this stock. Sometimes you win and sometimes you loose. Well actually it’s not a loss until you sell.
It’s all good bud. I am continuing to hold ZIM too. Will try to get as close to my entree point as I can.
Old 05-15-2024, 05:27 AM

lol. Isn’t that always the way?
If someone takes your advice and makes money. You never hear a thanks and they tell everyone it was their idea.
If they lose money, you never hear the end of it.
Not saying this is you KGB, but been my experience.
Old 05-15-2024, 06:53 AM

A good read from Charlie. I know his data is U.S. based but it has broad applicability to Canada too.

Click on the link if you want to see the charts.

https://bilello.blog/2024/the-week-in-charts-5-14-24

Hi everyone,
2 New Posts...
-Buy In May and Stay - The Week in Charts (Video)

-The Week in Charts (Blog Post)

Have a great week!
-Charlie

This week’s post is sponsored by YCharts. Every four years, the uncertainty surrounding the next president and their policies spark concern among investors. YCharts has you covered with their latest Election Guide, to help you successfully guide clients through election season and tackle commonly asked questions head-on. Grab your free copy here today.

And don't forget to mention Charlie Bilello to receive a free trial and 20% off your YCharts subscription when you initially sign up for the service.

The Week in Charts (5/14/24)

The most important charts and themes in markets and investing…

1) “Don’t Let Them Sell You a Bond Fund.”
Bill Gross, the one-time manager of the world’s largest bond fund (PIMCO Total Return), is now saying that “Total Return is dead … don’t let them sell you a bond fund.”

Why is he saying this?
He thinks that the interest rate on 10-Year Treasuries will rise above 5% within the next 12 months, which would cause bond prices to go further south.
Will that happen?
Who knows. Forecasting the short-term direction of interest rates is akin to predicting where stock prices will go in the next year. Which is to say that nobody can do it with any consistency whatsoever, even the “Bond King.”
But a better time to deliver such a message would unquestionably have been four years ago when the 10-Year Treasury yield was hitting record lows (0.52% in 2020). Back then, bond investors weren’t being compensated at all for interest rate risk and were earning a negative yield when factoring in expected inflation.

Today, after the longest and deepest bond bear market in history, we’re in a very different place.

10-Year Treasury yields are over 4 percentage points higher on a nominal basis and 3 percentage points higher on a real basis (adjusted for expected inflation).

As for the concept of total return, I would argue that “capital appreciation” is not the reason why you should be buying high quality bonds in the first place.
Instead, it should be in order to clip the boring coupon. For it is that coupon which will dictate your future returns. Not necessarily over the next seven weeks or seven months (in the short run, the direction of interest rates matters most), but over the next seven years. With a correlation of 97%, nothing is more important to long-term bond returns than that starting yield. And with much higher starting yields today, the next seven years should be much, much better than the last seven.

If you don’t have seven years to wait, then a standard bond fund may not be for you, especially if you can’t stomach a drawdown along the way. Find the vehicle that best matches your risk tolerance and duration as an investor.

2) Saving Social Security
More people are receiving Social Security benefits than are paying in, and if nothing is done the trust fund will run dry in 2035 at which point benefits will have to be cut.

Is this inevitable?
Not at all. The list of things we can do to save social security is a mile long, including:
• Raising the payroll tax (currently 6.2% each for employer/employee).
• Lifting the cap on earnings subject to the payroll tax (in 2024, only the first $168,600 is taxed)
• Increasing the full retirement age (currently 67)
• Reducing the benefits of higher income earners
• Slowing the growth rate in benefits (lower the COLA adjustment)
• Cutting spending elsewhere and diverting that money to social security (my preferred option)
So why aren’t we doing any of these things?
Because 2035 is a long time from now, and the main goal of most politicians is to stay in power. And the best way to stay in power is to not go anywhere near the “third rail of politics.” Which means that the most likely scenario is the continuation of the status quo until a crisis is imminent.

3) Is the US Consumer Finally Pulling Back?
Persistent inflation appears to be taking its toll on the American consumer.
We’ve seen a renewed decline in the Personal Savings Rate, which moved down to 3.2% last month. That’s the lowest rate since October 2022 and well below the average savings rate over the last 30 years (5.8%).

Consumer confidence is also turning down again, which according to the Conference Board is now at its lowest level since July 2022. Their biggest concerns: “elevated prices, especially for food and gas.”

A number of recent earnings reports have illustrated consumer weakness as well:
• Starbucks ($SBUX) Revenue fell 2% over the last year. Since its IPO in 1992, the only periods with a bigger revenue decline than today: 2008-09 and 2020.

• Home Depot ($HD) revenues fell 2% over the last year, the 5th straight quarter of negative YoY growth. That’s the longest stretch of negative revenue growth since 2009-10.

• Nike ($NKE) Revenues were up less than 1% over the last year, the slowest growth rate since 2022.

4) Falling Fertility Rates
3.59 million babies were born in the US in 2023, the fewest since 1979.

The total Fertility Rate in the US moved down to 1.62 births per woman in 2023, an all-time low.

5) Buy In May and Stay?
We’re in May and you know what that means: the return of the ominous slogan “sell in May and go away.”
Very catchy indeed but there’s only one problem: the data doesn’t support it.
While lower than then the November-April 6-month period, the S&P 500’s total return from May-October is still positive: +6.7% annualized on average. Not exactly something you would want to “go away” from.

And the percentage of positive returns from May-October (72%) is only 1% lower than the November-April period.

Which is why you should always ignore headlines telling you to sell based on the calendar. If you’re a long-term investor, every month is a good month to start investing

6) The Single-Stock Casino
Charlie Munger once said that Wall Street will “sell sh*t as long as sh*t can be sold.”
The latest example: the proliferation of leveraged single-stock ETFs. Assets in these vehicles hit a record $7.1 billion in the first quarter of this year, more than doubling from the prior quarter.

What’s the most popular single-stock fund?
You probably guessed it: the 2x long Nvidia ETF ($NVDL), which grew its asset under management to over $2 billion at the end of Q1, a 9x increase from where it started the year.
Why are people pouring money into this vehicle?
A story as old as time: chasing performance. The 2x long Nvidia ETF has gained 418% over the last year versus 207% for Nvidia common stock ($NVDA).

What will happen when Nvidia suffers the inevitable drawdown that all big winners have at some point in time?
The downside of leverage will be revealed and outflows will commence, with many traders booking a permanent loss.
Will that stop Wall Street from coming up with new products like this?
Unfortunately, no. As long as there’s demand for casino-like products, Wall Street will be more than happy to generate the supply.

7) A Few Interesting Stats…
a) 63% of US workers are satisfied with their jobs today, the highest percentage on record with survey data going back to 1987 (see video discussion).

b) Total Returns over the last 20 years…
• Berkshire Hathaway $BRK/B: +572%
• S&P 500 $SPY: +593%
• Nasdaq 100 $QQQ: +1,180%

c) The interest rate on new federal student loans is expected to rise to 6.5% in July, up from 5.5% currently and the highest level we’ve seen since 2008.

d) S&P 500 stock buybacks are projected to hit a record $1.075 trillion in 2025, a 16% increase from this year’s total.

e) The Interest Expense on US Public Debt hit $1.05 trillion over the last 12 months, another record high. With debt levels spiraling upward and interest rates set to remain higher for longer, this will continue to escalate (see video discussion).

f) US Federal Government Spending as % of GDP (see video discussion)…

• 1950s: 17%
• 1960s: 18%
• 1970s: 21%
• 1980s: 22%
• 1990s: 21%
• 2000s: 20%
• 2010s: 23%
• 2020s: 27%

And that’s it for this week, thanks for reading!
-Charlie
If we can help you on your road to wealth, reach out.

Disclaimer: All information provided is for educational purposes only and does not constitute investment, legal or tax advice, or an offer to buy or sell any security. Read our full disclosures here.

The Week in Charts Newsletter is published by Charlie Bilello. Forwarded this message? Sign up for your own subscription.
Old 05-15-2024, 07:32 AM

This was published Yesterday. It provides one analysts perspective on TD, biut it aligns with what I posted earlier.

Andrew Willis
ANDREW WILLIS
PUBLISHED YESTERDAY
UPDATED 2 HOURS AGO

Right now, running Toronto-Dominion Bank
TD-T +0.28%increase

is the job from hell.

Chief executive officer Bharat Masrani wakes up every morning to multiple regulatory investigations into money laundering in the bank’s U.S. branch network. Colonoscopies are more pleasant. Until these problems are resolved, TD’s work force is demoralized, its U.S. growth strategy is in question, and the stock price is weighed down by the prospect of multibillion-dollar fines.

Mr. Masrani’s pain is his successors’ gain. At some point in the not-to-distant future, the 67-year-old will finish up a decade-long run as CEO. Mr. Masrani, as honourable an individual as you are going to meet, has made it clear he will wear responsibility for TD’s regulatory failings.

It may not look like it today, but being TD’s next boss is the best job in banking.

For all the well-deserved attention investors are giving to anti-money-laundering shortfalls at TD, this is a one-time problem at the bank, rather than a structural issue. Any CEO would take a problem that can be solved by spending money – which describes TD’s woes – to a strategic challenge like being a regional player in a sector dominated by larger, better-capitalized rivals (looking at you, Laurentian Bank).

TD Bank faces stiff penalty from FinTRAC for faulty controls to prevent money laundering

TD is in the penalty box. Once regulators are satisfied with the bank’s beefed-up compliance team (many of the people and systems are already in place), guidelines are set for its U.S. retail operations and fines are paid, the bank will be back to full strength.

That’s not to say TD is out of the woods. The stock price, already down 10 per cent this year, could fall further if sanctions against the bank are worse than what’s expected. However, analysts have cranked out worst-case scenarios for the bank and there’s nothing TD’s balance sheet can’t handle.

Investors are assigning little or no value to TD’s vast U.S. network of “stores,” as the bank calls its branches. Analysts see that as overly pessimistic.

“This business may very well be growth-constrained for some time, but based on what we know there is simply no basis to believe that TD’s U.S. earnings power has totally evaporated,” analyst Meny Grauman at Bank of Nova Scotia said in a report.

Based on past penalties imposed by U.S. regulators, analyst Darko Mihelic at RBC Capital Markets projected TD’s darkest possible future consists of a US$3-billion fine – the largest levied in history. In addition, Mr. Mihelic said in a report the bank could face an “asset cap” on its U.S. branch network that lasts for up to five years. The cap would prevent TD from expanding a division that accounted for $4.9-billion of the bank’s $15.1-billion profit last year.

U.S. probe of TD Bank tied to US$653-million money-laundering and drug-trafficking case

The odds of TD facing this worst-case scenario are roughly one in four – the market is assigning a 27-per-cent probability of the bank facing penalties of this magnitude, according to Mr. Mihelic.

“A high fine is manageable for TD,” said Mr. Mihelic in a report, noting the bank could sell all or part of its $22-billion stake in Charles Schwab Corp.
SCHW-N -1.85%decrease

to refill its coffers. He added: “Our principal concern is centred on non-monetary penalties and what it might mean for its U.S. business.”

Here’s the opportunity for TD’s next CEO. Even under the worst-case scenario, TD still has strong Canadian and U.S. franchises that will continue to earn significant profits. The “odd impact” of an asset cap, as Mr. Mihelic put it, would be TD generating even more capital, as barriers to U.S. growth would mean the bank needs to set aside less in reserves.

Both the Scotia and RBC analysts have “outperform” ratings on TD stock. Their logic is Mr. Masrani and his successor will dedicate more money to building Canadian operations, the bank’s most profitable business. The next CEO could, and likely would, aggressively buy back shares, a proven crowd pleaser with investors.

In the U.S. market, TD can continue to expand its capital markets operations. The anti-money-laundering issues didn’t stop regulators from approving the bank’s US$1.3-billion acquisition of New York-based investment dealer Cowan Inc. last year.

The next head of TD will take the wheel of a bank traditionally valued at a premium to peers in a rare period when its stock trades at a discount. As that leader starts what’s likely to be a decade-long turn at the helm, with compensation heavily weighed to owning equity, the timing couldn’t be better.
Old 05-16-2024, 09:45 PM

Thanks Dean. As a younger investor I've followed some of the advice on this thread and it has been working well me for. I have read every post on the thread and continue to enjoy the insightful posts.

Thanks