Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-19-2012, 06:48 PM

^^^^^ Take it away from you???????????????
How's that?
Old 10-19-2012, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trophyboy View Post
In many years of bowhunting I could honestly count on one hand how many bowhunters I have seen in total. Maybe I am misinformed but there are virtually none where I hunt? Maybe it's different elsewhere but I really can't see it. In this day and age of couch potatoes and obesity I really can't see it. It's hard work for the most part and most guys either can't or simply won't do it and that's precisely why I like it........and now the government wants to take it away from me.
You are misinformed
In some zones its like a sale at the mall out there during bowseason

Besides do you need to shoot a trophy mule every yr

Rifle hunters average 4-6 yrs between hunts
Old 10-19-2012, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyguyd View Post
You are misinformed

There are far and few that slam a trophy muley every year in this province!

Most bowhunters average the same 4-6 years between bucks too!
Old 10-19-2012, 09:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
You are misinformed

I guess I'm misinformed. Thank God I don't live anywhere near the zones that are overrun with bowhunters.

And yes, as a matter of fact I do need to shoot a trophy mule deer every year and actually do.

And who cares if rifle hunters average 4-6 years between hunts.....get off the couch, buy a bow and put in the work and you too will kill a trophy mule deer every year.
Old 10-19-2012, 10:22 PM

I bow hunt every year and had a four year stint of tag soup for archery. It's not as easy as you think it is.
Old 10-19-2012, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottymouth View Post
There are far and few that slam a trophy muley every year in this province!

Most bowhunters average the same 4-6 years between bucks too!
Awe come on Potty thats crap and you know it .There are a few bowhunters that care about the sport and the game ,that cultivate the the bucks and hold out for just the right one . A true trophy that might take 3-6 yrs of scouting and hard work to prouduce. You , Mamba , Droptine,ISB, to name a few.
But most of them shoot a buck every year because they can ,because the system allows them to . These are not cull bucks ,they are the best that they can find , generally 150 or better,not great bucks but bucks with potential that could become hogs in a year or two. If your going to wait 4 or 5 yrs between bucks anyway, then why is a draw such a problem ?
Old 10-20-2012, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Awe come on Potty thats crap and you know it .There are a few bowhunters that care about the sport and the game ,that cultivate the the bucks and hold out for just the right one . A true trophy that might take 3-6 yrs of scouting and hard work to prouduce. You , Mamba , Droptine,ISB, to name a few.
But most of them shoot a buck every year because they can ,because the system allows them to . These are not cull bucks ,they are the best that they can find , generally 150 or better,not great bucks but bucks with potential that could become hogs in a year or two. If your going to wait 4 or 5 yrs between bucks anyway, then why is a draw such a problem ?
Because, bucks like the one you see underneath, took me 3 years of hunting him almost everyday! I can't guarantee myself a buck in a year, and I got primo permission!

With a draw, guys who normally pass, are going to shoot smaller bucks, just to fill a draw, because there gonna wait.

I've said it before, I wish this province had a Trophy draw tag (kinda like I explained long ago). Then i would see it different.
Old 10-20-2012, 01:21 AM

I started bow hunting 4 years ago and have shot 1 buck. I am very surprised at how few bow hunters I see, in the zones that i hunt. Lots of days I don't see anyone else. When I have a draw and go out in these same zones there are people everywhere. Bow hunting is definitely not as easy as some people think especiially when trying to target one specific buck. It has taught me lots, tried my patience and I feel it has made me a better hunter. I took up bow hunting mainly for increased opportunity at mule deer and it has become my prefered choice. It is the first time since I was 7 years old that I have been wearing out the knees of my pants. Getting my buck 1 out of 4 years with 2x the season over rifle and having to go on a 4-6 year draw greatly limits how many mule deer I will harvest with my bow. I guess I will have to spend more time in the river bottoms each fall bow hunting whitetails.
Old 10-20-2012, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Boone View Post
Put em on draw for sure, seperate all species. Draw or not!
Archery season, muzzle loader/shotgun and rifle.

You can only apply for one season on the draws for each species.
Non draw you can still only hunt 1 season for each species.

If your drawn for archery you can not hunt rifle or muzzy season.
If Ur drawn for muzzy, u can only hunt that season.

Pick your season, pick your animals and once your season is over your done.

This will seperate the pretend archers from the real ones.
I really think this is going way to far. I really think if you get drawn you should be able to use the full extent of the season wether you use a bow shotgun or rifle. And as far as a muzzleloader season that's a crock! There's no difference with today's inlines and a common centre fire rifle. The rang of these is well exceeding 200yds. And as far as separating the real bow hunters from the pretend ones. What the heck are you trying to do by alienating and segregating hunters into what tool we choose to use. Maybe you should just walk away from the hole thing and go hang out with some latte sippin PETA friends cause that's were it sounds like you wanna be!
Old 10-20-2012, 11:09 AM

So have they yet released the zones that will be under this draw next year ? Or is it wait til spring and see the surprise ?
Old 10-20-2012, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyfish View Post
So have they yet released the zones that will be under this draw next year ? Or is it wait til spring and see the surprise ?
It will be like Christmas around here....you will open the box and a tonne of complaints will be inside, along with the listed WMU's

Like getting socks....but different...

LC
Old 10-21-2012, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Most bowhunters shoot a buck every year?
Old 10-21-2012, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakogreywolf View Post
I know lots of them that do
Old 10-21-2012, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakogreywolf View Post
Actually I know a lot of guys that do. The problem is that lots of guys will shoot anything from a forkhorn up. That in my opinion is where the problem lies. Archery could likely remain draw free if the rules were changed so that only very mature animals were allowed to be taken. Maybe a minimum 4 point rule or a minimum score 150"
Old 10-21-2012, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6mmhunter View Post
Actually I know a lot of guys that do. The problem is that lots of guys will shoot anything from a forkhorn up. That in my opinion is where the problem lies. Archery could likely remain draw free if the rules were changed so that only very mature animals were allowed to be taken. Maybe a minimum 4 point rule or a minimum score 150"
A 4 point rule would only decimate the trophy quality further.

And as far as score wise, there are people who have never heard of a scoring system.....

And worse of all there people, who have proven that they know the scoring system, but have absolutely idea what they are talking about when it comes to score...... Proven by how many posts we get on here about 200 inch giants everywhere
Old 10-21-2012, 03:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6mmhunter View Post
what you say is true, but your solution is horrible and if anything would make things worse, not better for the reasons stated above. ^^^
Old 10-21-2012, 03:20 PM

Quote:
A 4 point rule would only decimate the trophy quality further.

And as far as score wise, there are people who have never heard of a scoring system.....
I agree....having a min number of points only does one thing, weeds out the animals that should be breeding the females and lets the genetically inferior animals spread their genes without having to fight for it....

I personally would never support a system that has people trying to field judge an animal based on score to see if it was legal or not....heck some people have a tough enough time identifying their target.....how many is it a WT or a MD posts are there?

....it may work in Alaska on moose and guided hunts but I don't think it would do well in this case.

LC
Old 10-21-2012, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishootbambi View Post
what you say is true, but your solution is horrible and if anything would make things worse, not better for the reasons stated above. ^^^
I agree. I remember the days of 3 pt mule bucks on general license and the herd quality was pathetic. Just wondering how else you could limit the archery harvest without a draw. Sure there are a few guys that only shoot a mule buck every 3-4 years but for everyone of those guys there are 20 who will shoot anything.
Old 10-21-2012, 09:34 PM
Banned

Limit the archery harvest? No, bowhunting is something u try and grow not limit...it's a great way to hunt, quiet, safe, access much easier to the many qualities gained, less roading etc. Anyhow, my reason for posting is just a follow up to an argument I've been having here for years...

So....now that this is coming, and no surprise, NOW can we allow the damn crossbow in where it fits? Might as well kill two birds with the same stone no?As we sure didnt need the feared xbow to push all the antler less moose areas on draw and same for the mulies....I can promise the deer I get newbs on in rifle zones will transfer to where apparently the managers would prefer more deer taken and that is the bowzone...so ridiculous that we can't have a tool that is essentially identical in performance to compounds but is one size fits all not allowed where it will fit and where it can do more good and more of what the managers are hoping to see for harvest etc.

Stop whining, this was easy to see coming IMO, if this had to happen first to help open then door to the crossbow inclusion then I'm all for it, hurry up already. Effin joke this tool isn't put where it belongs. Rant over.
Old 10-21-2012, 11:18 PM

Is it really that hard to put certain WMU's on a quota system? When the total allowable harvest has been reached close the zone, plus it would give you an actual account of what bowhunters are taking and where. Simple right.
Old 10-22-2012, 11:22 AM

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post
Doesn't need to happen...what needs happen is responsible wildlife management by srd...if they had not absolutely decimated some zones by handing out hundreds too many tags the bowhunters would not have moved to zones where there actually was deer to hunt...I know of several hunters who have shifted from the cwd cull zones to 305 and 110 because of the lack of animals in the other zones...
I am of those guys that has had to switch zones because of the lack of animals in the zone in the southeast I used to hunt. Too many tags given out and the herds are not there any more.
Old 10-22-2012, 12:06 PM

I remember a client I was guiding a few years ago from one of the west central states. They instated a 4 point restriction (Rifle and Bow) and as a result the quality of animals was decimated. Now I beleive the hunter density may have been quite a bit higher there but regardless the genetics that were left in the herds were the small racked deer that took a good number of years to reach 4-point status, and even when they did they were basket racked deer.

I would be interested in hearing more on the idea of a trophy tag system, but i would have to agree with lefty, Peoples ability to accurately judge the animals would be the fault in the system.
Old 10-22-2012, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerman View Post
Is it really that hard to put certain WMU's on a quota system? When the total allowable harvest has been reached close the zone, plus it would give you an actual account of what bowhunters are taking and where. Simple right.
Now here is an idea that might actually work .. kinda like the cougar seasons , right ? One further step I would add would be to shorten the season to one month .. October . That would definitely lower the success rates . I agree with Potty on the idea of minmum score , that's a no brainer and would never work .
Old 10-22-2012, 04:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by H380 View Post
Now here is an idea that might actually work .. kinda like the cougar seasons , right ? .
i dont hate the idea, but i dont see it happening either. mandatory registration would have to happen, and that means someone needs to be answering phones and compiling data.....in other words its going to cost money.....money that srd already doesnt have to do what they already should be doing but cant.

further to this, i have seen the formula that srd uses to obtain their numbers on archery harvest. although i do believe that many wmu's are over the 15% limit, i am firmly of the opinion that the numbers they are calculating are completely false. once this becomes fully public, there is going to be some serious protesting.....and rightly so!
Old 10-22-2012, 04:29 PM

Quote:
i dont hate the idea, but i dont see it happening either. mandatory registration would have to happen, and that means someone needs to be answering phones and compiling data.....in other words its going to cost money.....money that srd already doesnt have to do what they already should be doing but cant.

further to this, i have seen the formula that srd uses to obtain their numbers on archery harvest. although i do believe that many wmu's are over the 15% limit, i am firmly of the opinion that the numbers they are calculating are completely false. once this becomes fully public, there is going to be some serious protesting.....and rightly so!
Can you break it down for us , for those who haven't seen the formula?
Old 10-22-2012, 04:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
Can you break it down for us , for those who haven't seen the formula?
ill have to ask if i can post it.
Old 10-22-2012, 08:20 PM

Quote:

Mandatory registration is what we should have anyway ISB , don't you agree ? Then maybe the real numbers would come out . I'm with Potty , I'd be interested how they come up with the numbers .
Old 10-22-2012, 09:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
Mandatory registration is what we should have anyway ISB , don't you agree ? .
already said im not against it....

Quote:
Old 10-22-2012, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Mandatory registration is what we should have anyway ISB , don't you agree ? Then maybe the real numbers would come out . I'm with Potty , I'd be interested how they come up with the numbers .
They do mandatory registration in the CWD zones....and continue to. Also mandatory registration and call in for cougar and bobcat amongst other species....maybe they don't want to have "good" data??

Some of the issues guys had with the older conducted telephone surveys is they felt they were giving the wrong people the information....people who could use it for their own gain.

Volunteers from different F&G Associations were the ones making the calls and some guys felt they were telling the guys where they were successful and that those same guys would use that "data" to figure out the zone that held good numbers of elk, moose, etc.

Likely some guys wore too many tinfoil fashion accessories.....BUT....who knows.

LC
Old 10-22-2012, 09:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
They do mandatory registration in the CWD zones....and continue to. Also mandatory registration and call in for cougar and bobcat amongst other species....maybe they don't want to have "good" data??

LC
not really mandatory registration for cwd. yes for cougar, and sheep etc.