Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duk Dog View Post
Are you for real? Ask anyone with a 408 draw tag how easy it is. Gale force winds just being one of the many issues to combat in the mtns in November. I don't have a ton of sheep hunting under my belt, but do know from the miles I covered this past summer & fall there wasn't much easy about it at all.
He was probably driving down the road when he shot his, so it has to be easy!!
Old 02-11-2010, 10:14 PM
Banned

Sorry guys not including 408 and 410.
Old 02-11-2010, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinC View Post
Sorry guys not including 408 and 410.
Ya outside of those two WMUs the mtns are pretty easy to get around and the sheep are easy pickins.
Old 02-11-2010, 10:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram crazy View Post
He was probably driving down the road when he shot his, so it has to be easy!!
your a funny guy. I have never drawn a tag.I dont shoot sh!t off the roads.
Old 02-11-2010, 10:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepguide View Post
And for the last time no one has said there is a problem!
Just that there is possibly a chance to improve things!
Quote:
Their choices where

1)Put sheep on a draw.

2)A 5 year wait between rams.

3)Limit the number of rams per lifetime.

4)Full curl rule for all of Alberta.
Perhaps you could elucidate these. How will the general populace of resident hunters find any improvement in this?
Old 02-11-2010, 10:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Ya outside of those two WMUs the mtns are pretty easy to get around and the sheep are easy pickins.
I never said that. You must be the god on the mountain then.
Old 02-11-2010, 10:24 PM

Quote:
I never said that. You must be the god on the mountain then.
All the draws would be pretty easy to kill your ram. I have been to all and have seen legal rams in huntable areas but no tag in my pocket. Thanks anyway.

????
Old 02-11-2010, 10:26 PM

Quote:
What draw did he get to get his gimmy sheep?
What draws are these that you consider a gimmy?

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Benelli, Sako, Beretta, Tikka, Franchi, Burris, & Steiner
Old 02-11-2010, 10:28 PM
Banned

BB416 - It looks better if you get the fancy quote box around it.
Quote:
All the draws would be pretty easy to kill your ram. I have been to all and have seen legal rams in huntable areas but no tag in my pocket. Thanks anyway.
Old 02-11-2010, 10:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockymtnx View Post
Not saying that any sheep are gimmee's but, if I am not mistaken, this 209 fellow was drawn twice for Cadomin. Correct me if I am wrong.
Old 02-11-2010, 10:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
438 and 444/446
Old 02-11-2010, 10:44 PM

Quote:
You should go read 209's blog on his 2008 438 hunt and see how easy it was.
It took him right to the end harvest one.
Or even ask the NUMEROUS people that have went home from that hunt empty handed and a tag in their pocket.
I haven't been on a 438 late season hunt, but have talked to more people than I can remember that have and it sure ain't no cake walk according to most.

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Old 02-11-2010, 10:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Are you for real? Ask anyone with a 408 draw tag how easy it is. Gale force winds just being one of the many issues to combat in the mtns in November. I don't have a ton of sheep hunting under my belt, but do know from the miles I covered this past summer & fall there wasn't much easy about it at all.
Late season draws arent a gimme but are easier to find just a ram or even big rams than any other time. There is a reason they are on draw. The weather can be harsher but not unbearable.
Old 02-11-2010, 10:55 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagar View Post
Sheephunter if I remember right it was you who had the idea of a graduated wait period based on the age of a harvested ram.How much would something like that cost when you start have court battles because a hunter isn't happy with the age his ram is given by a Game Warden?

I guess if you think that alittle more education then the 10 minutes given to sheep in the hunters training course is not worth anything you would also think that the hunters training course itself is a waste!
Actually that wasn't me....I think it was Swarovski. I did say his idea had merit when I first read it but after really examining the issue and seeing that this was much ado about nothing, I backed away from the idea. For me personally, I'd love to see more bigger sheep on the mountains but I truly can't see how the more restrictive regulations required to acheive that would be good for Alberta hunters. Right now, there are lots of legal sheep for those that want to kill a ram and there are enough big rams to keep me heading to the hills. As populations are stable, leaving things the way they are seems prudent.

Come on Hagar, I'm not even going to answer you about hunter training. You and I both know that was reductio ad absurdum at its finest. The hunter traing course serves a very valuable purpose. I can see no point for a sheep course that isn't backed up by regulation and I don't see a need for more regulation.
Old 02-11-2010, 11:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
You should go read 209's blog on his 2008 438 hunt and see how easy it was.
It took him right to the end harvest one.
Or even ask the NUMEROUS people that have went home from that hunt empty handed and a tag in their pocket.
I haven't been on a 438 late season hunt, but have talked to more people than I can remember that have and it sure ain't no cake walk according to most.
209 has had 2 late season 438 tags and has killed two less than average rams for that area if im correct. These rams can be a tough hunt but compared to any other season in alberta it is easier.
And id love to read his blog but alot of writters tend to embelish a little when trying to captivate the reader. I saw the one hunt on TV and sure the weather was tough but ive seen that in October.

October 2009 Clearwater River
09 bighorn.jpg

bighorn.jpg
Old 02-11-2010, 11:02 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Thanks. What draw did he get to get his gimmy sheep? How many has he got outside the draw???
Look at the success rates on the 438 hunt and tell me it's a gimme. I've been along on the hunt there and it's far from a gimme but it always shows a lot of class to try and demean another hunter's accomplishment.

It's funny how some guys are constantly trying to demean their fellow sheep hunters to bolster their own accomplishments and experience. Possibly time to look at why they are really posting....it's sure not for the good of sheep and sheep hunting. Disgusting...............
Old 02-11-2010, 11:04 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Now that right there is some good humour!
Old 02-11-2010, 11:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post

It's funny how some guys are constantly trying to demean their fellow sheep hunters and bolster their own accomplishments and experience. Possibly time to look at why they are really posting....it's sure not for the good of sheep and sheep hunting. Disgusting...............
You do it to TJ, your no angel that does everything perfect here so dont try and play that card. You have no clue as to why guys post and if they are in it for the good of sheep or not.
Old 02-11-2010, 11:08 PM

Quote:
These rams can be a tough hunt but compared to any other season in alberta it is easier.
Well I will agree with you on this one. Either way it sure isn't no "gimmy."
Any info about the lucky hunter and his sheep in your snowy pic?

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Old 02-11-2010, 11:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
Look at the success rates on the 438 hunt and tell me it's a gimme. I've been along on the hunt there and it's far from a gimme but it always shows a lot of class to try and demean another hunter's accomplishment.
Some of the results are due to selective hunting as I know a few guys that have had a chance to shoot rams on the 438 tag but were looking for that something special ram.

Not taking away from the ladies but this super tough hunt has produced some super rams for the women . And I know a 14 year old girl that harvested a book ram there. So guys you may wanna hike up your skirts and toughen up a little bit.
Old 02-11-2010, 11:15 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
You do it to TJ, your no angel that does everything perfect here so dont try and play that card. You have no clue as to why guys post and if they are in it for the good of sheep or not.
Darcy, I have never in my life put down another hunter's accomplishment on this board and never will so please don't say that I have. It shows a total lack of class.
Old 02-11-2010, 11:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
Well I will agree with you on this one. Either way it sure isn't no "gimmy."
Any info about the lucky hunter and his sheep in your snowy pic?
My buddy( J.B) from Texas killed it I beleive on October 6 in the clearwater to complete his grand slam. I guided him to his first ram(Stone) in 2007. The weather was so bad when they shot it they couldnt recover the ram till the following day. I was supposed to be with him but didnt get done guiding in time. A friend of mine was the outfitter and also guided J.B to this ram.
Old 02-11-2010, 11:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Possibly time to look at why they are really posting....it's sure not for the good of sheep and sheep hunting. Disgusting...............
To me this is putting someone that you dont know down. How is it up to you to say someone is posting for one reason or another? Because you think this? You have know idea why they post what they do.
Old 02-11-2010, 11:23 PM

I miss named the thread ,it was "Sheep on a draw" which started the discussion on changes to sheep hunting due to the fact that SRD is seriously looking at changes to the way it is now.

My appologies sheephunter for miss quoting you.If you feel that a little extra education is such a waste then you must feel every hunter already knows everything there is to know about sheep and sheep conservation.That also goes for you,209.Sorry to have wasted your time.
Old 02-11-2010, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Not taking away from the ladies but this super tough hunt has produced some super rams for the women . And I know a 14 year old girl that harvested a book ram there. So guys you may wanna hike up your skirts and toughen up a little bit.
I believe this story was published in the October 2008 issue of AO. If I remember correctly this young lady had to work for it too. She had some skilled sheep hunters and people willing to work for that ram beside her.
I also recently met a lady who harvested a book ram out of 438 a couple years back. Even the ladies can do it. This just isn't a man's game.

Oh yeah I'm a little envious of both these gals.

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Old 02-11-2010, 11:30 PM
Banned

Quote:

It's funny how some guys are constantly trying to demean their fellow sheep hunters to bolster their own accomplishments and experience. Possibly time to look at why they are really posting....it's sure not for the good of sheep and sheep hunting. Disgusting...............
Sorry gimmy is not the right word.I am sorry I ment way easier hunt.Sitting waiting for a ram to cross the line is a joke.I have never applied for this hunt and never will.till they change the mine rules.
Old 02-11-2010, 11:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
I believe this story was published in the October 2008 issue of AO. If I remember correctly this young lady had to work for it too. She had some skilled sheep hunters and people willing to work for that ram beside her.
I also recently met a lady who harvested a book ram out of 438 a couple years back. Even the ladies can do it. This just isn't a man's game.

Oh yeah I'm a little envious of both these gals.
yes I know the young ladies Grandpa(Clayton Grosso) very well from guiding bighorns around where he hunts moose. She did have some good help on that hunt.
And when you see rams like the one Kim killed this past fall you cant be anything but envious.
Old 02-11-2010, 11:32 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagar View Post
I miss named the thread ,it was "Sheep on a draw" which started the discussion on changes to sheep hunting due to the fact that SRD is seriously looking at changes to the way it is now.

My appologies sheephunter for miss quoting you.If you feel that a little extra education is such a waste then you must feel every hunter already knows everything there is to know about sheep and sheep conservation.That also goes for you,209.Sorry to have wasted your time.
Hagar, obviously I don't think that but I also know that your suggested 10 minite course isn't going to tech them everything there is to know about sheep and sheep conservation either. These courses come with a cost and the end needs to justify the means. Without regulation to back up what is taught in the course, I can't see it helping. Hunters are already faced with too many regulations. I can't see adding another regulation as being a good thing when it's likely to accomplish nothing but make it more difficult for hunters to go hunting.
Old 02-11-2010, 11:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
Now that right there is some good humour!
dont you have a book to right or something.How do you know what I have seen? I never put down anybody.He seems to know everything and we all know nothing.
Old 02-11-2010, 11:36 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Sorry gimmy is not the right word.I am sorry I ment way easier hunt.Sitting waiting for a ram to cross the line is a joke.I have never applied for this hunt and never will.till they change the mine rules.
Justin, if you are talking about the 438 hunt, you don't need to sit on a line waiting. You can actually get out and hunt away from the mine. On the hunt I was along on, the ram was way outside the mine and had been for several days. The hunt is what it is but it's far from an easy hunt where you sit waiting for sheep to cross a line. Sure some do that but I know lots that haven't. It's whatever you want to make it.
Closed Thread