Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 05-18-2023, 10:44 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner View Post
Yup, this one will be good. One thing Smith is good at is debating. She knows her facts, stays on topic and can say it in clear words. Notley will be like Turds, ahhh, ummm all the way through. Notley will read from the script about bad Dannielle and the things she said while a talk show host to scare the sheeple. All the while promising the sky.

If DS keeps on track, I suspect she will walk out of there with a smile while Notley wonders what the heck happened.

But do debates really change peoples minds anymore?
Minds were made up a long time ago but the sitcom is entertaining.

Just have a good old cage match and air it live, man the ratings would be through the roof

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 05-18-2023, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Yup, this one will be good. One thing Smith is good at is debating. She knows her facts, stays on topic and can say it in clear words. Notley will be like Turds, ahhh, ummm all the way through. Notley will read from the script about bad Dannielle and the things she said while a talk show host to scare the sheeple. All the while promising the sky.

If DS keeps on track, I suspect she will walk out of there with a smile while Notley wonders what the heck happened.

I doubt that debates change many minds these days, if they did, Trudeau would never get elected. In fact many voters don't have a clue about platforms, they don't know, and they don't care.
Old 05-18-2023, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
Raj Sherman was also a decent human being. Never would have seen the rhetoric and vitriol from Raj.
Definitely agree. I really appreciated his effort to promote common sense in healthcare in the early years.

Quote:
Notley will read from the script about bad Dannielle and the things she said while a talk show host to scare the sheeple. All the while promising the sky.
I'm sure she'll be armed with a steaming pile of rhetoric about climate change and its relation to our current wildfire situation as well.
Old 05-18-2023, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
I doubt that debates change many minds these days, if they did, Trudeau would never get elected. In fact many voters don't have a clue about platforms, they don't know, and they don't care.
I think the 2015 debate changed the tide in that election. When Prentice told Albertans to take a look in the mirror, many did and the Orange crush unfolded right after that.

BW
Old 05-18-2023, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigwoodsman View Post
I think the 2015 debate changed the tide in that election. When Prentice told Albertans to take a look in the mirror, many did and the Orange crush unfolded right after that.

BW
Not at all, it was the vote splitting of the right, which benefited the ndp. Add up the Wildrose and PC votes, and they defeat the ndp convincingly.
Old 05-18-2023, 12:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Not at all, it was the vote splitting of the right, which benefited the ndp. Add up the Wildrose and PC votes, and they defeat the ndp convincingly.
Exactly. Had nothing to do with the debate.
Old 05-18-2023, 12:21 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Kinda like here, debate away, ain’t gonna change no one’s vote but is entertaining.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 05-18-2023, 12:56 PM

going to be an uphill battle tonight

ethics commission just released findings!

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/albertas-e...160437014.html

https://globalnews.ca/news/9708639/a...vid-pawlowski/
Old 05-18-2023, 01:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
I can see the ucp concentrating on the economy, and the ndp concentrating on everything but the economy. The ucp will support oil and gas, and a smaller government/public sector and the ndp will promote the destruction of oil and gas and a larger government/public sector. The ucp will promote responsible spending, while the ndp will support spending with no clue where the money will come from.
In the end, the debate will change nothing, those that support unions and handouts will vote ndp, and those that support working for a living, and making living more affordable , will vote ucp.
So where does this leave say Unifor people or the CUPE people in the patch or the many other unionized workers? Does this mean those oil and gas people that support unions or are part of them just want handouts? Political blanket statements are as ignorant as partisanship.
Old 05-18-2023, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by makin tracks View Post
going to be an uphill battle tonight

ethics commission just released findings!

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/albertas-e...160437014.html

https://globalnews.ca/news/9708639/a...vid-pawlowski/
Some things I've learned around here are.

Ethics violations by a conservative are acceptable...just part of doing business.

Ethics violations by a non-conservative require a full public inquiry and resignation of the offender.

BW
Old 05-18-2023, 01:53 PM

Quote:

Ethics violations by a conservative are acceptable...just part of doing business.

Ethics violations by a non-conservative require a full public inquiry and resignation of the offender.

BW
Trudeau is the only PM to have been found guilty of ethics violations, and he has never been held accountable.
Old 05-18-2023, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rvsask View Post
So where does this leave say Unifor people or the CUPE people in the patch or the many other unionized workers? Does this mean those oil and gas people that support unions or are part of them just want handouts? Political blanket statements are as ignorant as partisanship.
That leaves unionized oil and gas workers in a tough position, the ndp expects their support, yet they want to do away with their jobs.Then again, UNIFOR protested pipelines, which would have provided jobs , so they kind of deserve what they get, if they lose their jobs.
Old 05-18-2023, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Trudeau is the only PM to have been found guilty of ethics violations, and he has never been held accountable.
DS was found in violation of the law today. Is that not an ethics violation? Or just not convenient because she's a conservative?

Ethics violations and breaking the law by a politician of any stripe should be enough to raise serious questions about their ability to be trusted with government coffers.

BW
Old 05-18-2023, 02:05 PM

Quote:

BW
Might as well dig up as much dirt as possible on UCP candidate two weeks from election. Polls favouring Danielle smith. No momentum for NDP. Media will be throwing grenades daily. Guaranteed. Anything to unseat conservatives. All part of politics. That’s why it’s ugly business for power. Why Federal liberals hand over 1.2 billion to ‘approved media’, six months prior to federal elections.
Old 05-18-2023, 02:12 PM

Quote:
DS was found in violation of the law today. Is that not an ethics violation? Or just not convenient because she's a conservative?

Ethics violations and breaking the law by a politician of any stripe should be enough to raise serious questions about their ability to be trusted with government coffers.

BW
It is true that all politicians should be held accountable, but if the PM is not held in any way accountable for his three ethics violations, how can you justify holding any other politician accountable? The reality, is that finding a politician guilty of ethics violations is meaningless.
Old 05-18-2023, 02:19 PM

Quote:
It is true that all politicians should be held accountable, but if the PM is not held in any way accountable for his three ethics violations, how can you justify holding any other politician accountable? The reality, is that finding a politician guilty of ethics violations is meaningless.
So we just keep electing them over and over and over, while expecting things to change. What a great future we're setting up for our children, grand children and future generations.

Really sad state of affairs.

BW
Old 05-18-2023, 02:23 PM

Quote:
So we just keep electing them over and over and over, while expecting things to change. What a great future we're setting up for our children, grand children and future generations.

BW
It is sad, especially concerning the huge debt and other issues that we are leaving for future generations by voting for government handouts now.
Old 05-18-2023, 02:44 PM

Quote:

BW
That comes with what amounts to a two party system.

Grizz

Isaiah 5:8
Old 05-18-2023, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Kinda like here, debate away, ain’t gonna change no one’s vote but is entertaining.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The debate here should be educational.

The more I think about this election the more I’m realizing it’s about the economic system we as Albertans want to endorse.

An NDP government will lead to bigger government and more centralization of power. Which will drive private business out of the province as they struggle to support the government bureaucracy. As more businesses fail as a result of the bloated government, the government will be there to bail them out as the become government entities. If we follow this path eventually everything will be run by the government, as private business will not survive and government employees become the biggest voting block.

On the other side is those of us that believe in free markets and individualism. Where we think you should be able to make your own choice about who to support. If we go this way the government bureaucracy should decrease and take the load off our private businesses and individuals who will prosper as a result. As government gets smaller these businesses and individuals will have more money to donate to charities and non profits which will help them grow. As these private charities grow the need for government will become less and and less to the point where the whole system will become privatized and everyone will have more choice in everything from education to where they live.

Just my perspective but I don’t see how the two systems will coexist long term. One will take over the other. If I had to bet, I would bet on it being the government system in Canada because they have a monopoly on force and can take from you and I whenever they need bailed out.
“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.” John Stuart Mill
Old 05-18-2023, 03:18 PM

Default upcoming cat fight

Got to go and sit in person to the debate in Brooks this week for the local riding. Both Danielle and the Alberta Party leader competing in the same riding. They were both well spoken, and have to admit I might have even have swung to the Alberta Party if I wasn't so worried about splitting the vote.
It was obviously a fight between NDP and the UCP based on the questions. The Alberta Party has no previous history (so also no dirt on them) but came across as the adult in the room at times.
The NDP candidate in this area is a previous school teacher of 33 years (explained a lot) , and I was sure she was really holding in the outbursts, but by the end of the debate she had developed a really bad "tick" like a tourettes
The fight is really heating up in our riding. Seeing mass NDP signage all of a sudden (mostly public property and rentals), and lots of defacing of signs going on.
Old 05-18-2023, 03:19 PM

Quote:
It is sad, especially concerning the huge debt and other issues that we are leaving for future generations by voting for government handouts now.
Never mind the fact that they’ll never be free, and big brother will be watching them as we accept a Chinese led world order. Just like lockdowns, we’re well on our way to adopting the Chinese social credit system.
“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.” John Stuart Mill
Old 05-18-2023, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams1 View Post
That comes with what amounts to a two party system.

Grizz
I believe the "first by the post system" is responsible. But that will never change as the party in power was the beneficiary. There should be two rounds in an elections as in many other countries
Old 05-18-2023, 03:55 PM

Quote:

BW
You mean like Trudeau?
Old 05-18-2023, 04:25 PM

Quote:

According to former PC MLA and Cabinet Minister Thomas Lukaszuk Danielle Smith is a great presenter but doesn't have a "grasp" of the information she's given to present, he likens her to a "news anchor" who is great reading off a teleprompter but not great thinking off script.

He begins speaking about Smith at the 36:30 mark of the following video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Zc8...TheBreakdownAB

https://youtu.be/4Zc8hEgo2P4?t=643

If you want to know what's what, this interview is quite informative, although over an hour long it's well worth the listen to understand what has transpired in the last 25 years of AB politics. Lukaszuk provides a great overview of his time in the AB. Leg. serving under 5 premiers, as well as the political changes that have occured in the transition from PC to the UCP, he does not speak highly of either Kenney or Smith.
Old 05-18-2023, 04:33 PM

You mean like Trudeau? And other things!
Old 05-18-2023, 04:34 PM

I , like many others here suffered under the dips , never voted for them , or anything left ever. I truly believe i should be in charge ,but i guess danielle will have to do for now. Not a fan of cutting my own nose off to spite my face.
Old 05-18-2023, 04:37 PM

Man, Lukaszuk is a slime ball and I mean especially so even for a politician. I wouldn't trust that guy as far as I could throw him.
Old 05-18-2023, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgutpile View Post
Got to go and sit in person to the debate in Brooks this week for the local riding. Both Danielle and the Alberta Party leader competing in the same riding. They were both well spoken, and have to admit I might have even have swung to the Alberta Party if I wasn't so worried about splitting the vote.
It was obviously a fight between NDP and the UCP based on the questions. The Alberta Party has no previous history (so also no dirt on them) but came across as the adult in the room at times.
The NDP candidate in this area is a previous school teacher of 33 years (explained a lot) , and I was sure she was really holding in the outbursts, but by the end of the debate she had developed a really bad "tick" like a tourettes
The fight is really heating up in our riding. Seeing mass NDP signage all of a sudden (mostly public property and rentals), and lots of defacing of signs going on.
I agree that all the Alberta party is going to do is help split the vote. Not what we need right now. I was totally taken back at the Brooks debate by the NDP candidate. I’m sure happy she never taught my children. She wouldn’t even answer the questions presented to her. Just went on a rant at how bad Danielle Smith is. I really hope the people of Brooks/Medicine hat don’t elect someone like the NDP candidate to represent us.
Old 05-18-2023, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
You mean like Trudeau?
Exactly. Why aren’t public figures who break the law, are found guilty of ethics breaches removed from public office and never allowed to seek a public office again.
Why do we continue to accept these breaches of trust! If you did that at your work place you’d be fired or possibly sued if the breach warranted it.

BW
Old 05-18-2023, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatbuilder View Post
I agree that all the Alberta party is going to do is help split the vote. Not what we need right now. I was totally taken back at the Brooks debate by the NDP candidate. I’m sure happy she never taught my children. She wouldn’t even answer the questions presented to her. Just went on a rant at how bad Danielle Smith is. I really hope the people of Brooks/Medicine hat don’t elect someone like the NDP candidate to represent us.
That’s what they’re all like.
Closed Thread