Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 07-25-2014, 01:34 PM

Default Outfitters

As a resident Albertan you can not hire an outfitter and use one of their allocation tags. You can hire them but you must use a general tag or a tag you have been drawn for.
Old 07-25-2014, 01:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
I'm supposed to make sense of this? What in the world are you talking about?

Looking at the numbers like you suggested I do.

You mentioned mule deer I quoted you and responded talking about mule deer.
14% increase every year on mule deer draw applicants get it?

Make the 2 zones you hunt for mule deer more appealing to those applying for draws and you personally are back in the same place regardless if residents hold all the outfitter tags. You think no one looks at priority numbers needed before they draw?
Old 07-25-2014, 01:54 PM

Default Maybe??

If there is an increase in draws or tags it needs to go directly to more FW in the field and habitat. I honestly don't think to many people would have a problem with a small increase if it went to directly to habitat improvement and more FW officers in the field to help stop poaching and enforce regulations. The money to do those things needs to come from somewhere and this would be one way of doing it. I just don't think we should be raising the price too much as has been said it would exclude some people.

We all complain about not enough tags, draw wait time's, not enough enforcement and not enough habitat. This proposal could help with all of these problems.
Old 07-25-2014, 02:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
Look no further than your apparent occupation.
Just cause my handle says something does not mean I make a living at it.
Old 07-25-2014, 02:43 PM

OK Chuck, lick the envelope and send the letter. Nobody's mind is getting changed here.
Old 07-25-2014, 02:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathewsZ7 View Post
What about the tags that each year become impossible for new hunters to draw? or that are becoming once in a lifetime tags? Just wait in line?
Already stated this. After all the people at top priority draw put it on the same draw as Cadomin. As for poor Alberta's having to wait is only going to get worse. As per the estimates out population is suppose to double in the next 10 year. So even if you steal all tags from everybody it is going to get worse. Then we talk about jacking all app fees. People will only hunt animals with antlers and horns so wait time will increase again even worse.
Old 07-25-2014, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
OK Chuck, lick the envelope and send the letter. Nobody's mind is getting changed here.
Oh you would be surprised.

-Billy Molls
Old 07-25-2014, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Oh you would be surprised.
What? You're reconsidering your position?????
Old 07-25-2014, 02:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooter View Post
I actually 999 all my draws other than 438 sheep this year. I'm in the line but it's hard to see the finish with some draws. Tags that used to take 3-4 years now take 8 to 10 or more in some cases.

I have a priority 8 on Antlered mule deer and based on the 2014 draw summary report I may actually have a chance to draw it in 2015 if the numbers stayed the same.

Based on antlered moose in the area I prefer it's an average 9 years wait between draws. If I live to see 80 and am able to keep good health and fitness I am due to hunt moose 4 more times in life.... +/- It would be great for everyone's wait times to be reduced.

I'm not here looking out for my own interest, rather a way to reduce times for all hunters. If it came down to being required to pay higher fees for draw applications, licenses and I had to purchase any tag I drew immediately after the results came out, I would readily do so as long as it showed an improvement to the draw system.
well as stated already. Eventually there is going to be double the people. So if you take away all tags from everybody but residents it will change nothing as in 4 years we will be in the same spot. In 10 watch out. Nothing is going to change long wait times. The sheep tags are the only problems and I feel top priority guys should get there crack before it goes to a lotto.
Old 07-25-2014, 04:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
x10
Old 07-25-2014, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by residentguide View Post
well as stated already. Eventually there is going to be double the people. So if you take away all tags from everybody but residents it will change nothing as in 4 years we will be in the same spot. In 10 watch out. Nothing is going to change long wait times. The sheep tags are the only problems and I feel top priority guys should get there crack before it goes to a lotto.
Let's just ban all hunting, eliminates all wait times. Problem solved
Old 07-25-2014, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeaspell View Post
This post should make people realize what the outcome of our division will lead to. We all have one shared past time, hunting! I don't have to agree with all of Chuck's points, but he is very passionate about hunting and it's future, that I can respect. To everyone else, type less and think more, we're in it together!
Leo M.
Old 07-25-2014, 07:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeaspell View Post
I never said ban anything. Learn to read or do I need to speak Newfie? I said all the crap people are complaining about and want to stop or ban and or raise prices does nothing cause our population is going to more then double in the next 10 years. Understand?
Old 07-25-2014, 07:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by leo View Post
This post should make people realize what the outcome of our division will lead to. We all have one shared past time, hunting! I don't have to agree with all of Chuck's points, but he is very passionate about hunting and it's future, that I can respect. To everyone else, type less and think more, we're in it together!
Leo M.
That is the problem almost every post in this thread shows greed and that is it. Not one idea has or will change anything in 5 plus years. Most are only looking at sheep while all draws will be affected even if they charge way more for app's and tags.
Old 07-25-2014, 07:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
After all the people at top priority draw put it on the same draw as Cadomin.
Say what?????
Old 07-25-2014, 07:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
That is the problem almost every post in this thread shows greed and that is it. Not one idea has or will change anything in 5 plus years. Most are only looking at sheep while all draws will be affected even if they charge way more for app's and tags.
Its far from sheep only!! With some moose and elk at 12+ years and increasing every year it wont be long before the new generation of hunters will never have a chance in drawing these tags as well. How do you think the sheep draws that are imposible started?? The exact same way these tags are going.
And now with the talk of a priority cap many draws will be next to impossible to draw.
Your fooling yourself if you think the only issue is sheep!!!

Last edited by MathewsZ7; 07-25-2014 at 07:34 PM.
Old 07-25-2014, 07:33 PM

My wife drew a bull Moose tag after 15 years of applying. That same tag was 7 or 8 years the last time around and it will be 30 years before it happens again.

They give 6 tags in that particular zone and last year we know of 2 of those tag holders that never hunted them after they realized it was a bit of work. Now tell me how we can weed that type of hunter out of the draw pool. It is doing absolutey nobody any favours. Unless of course you happened to be one of the other 4.

-Billy Molls
Old 07-25-2014, 07:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
My wife drew a bull Moose tag after 15 years of applying. That same tag was 7 or 8 years the last time around and it will be 30 years before it happens again.
Yep mine was priority 11 this year from a priority 6 11yrs ago when I drew it last.
Old 07-25-2014, 07:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
Its far from sheep only!! With some moose and elk at 12+ years and increasing every year it wont be long before the new generation of hunters will never have a chance in drawing these tags as well. How do you thing the sheep draws that are imposible started?? The exact same way these tags are going.
And no with the talk of a priority cap many draws will be next to impossible to draw.
Your fooling yourself if you think the only issue is sheep!!!
I just said all draws. Never once said only sheep. Draws here are going to be just like Arizona. 30 years for a rifle tag and 15 for a bow permit. As for you last post why should people at the top on those get screwed cause you and I did not apply the first year. In 10 years all will be drawn and this new idea will be implemented. I am ok with that. But to put all tags on that I do not agree with.
Old 07-25-2014, 07:42 PM

Quote:
I just said all draws. Never once said only sheep. Draws here are going to be just like Arizona. 30 years for a rifle tag and 15 for a bow permit. As for you last post why should people at the top on those get screwed cause you and I did not apply the first year. In 10 years all will be drawn and this new idea will be implemented. I am ok with that. But to put all tags on that I do not agree with.
Then what about the guys in the next priority pool after those 10 years?

-Billy Molls
Old 07-25-2014, 07:42 PM
Banned

Quote:

They give 6 tags in that particular zone and last year we know of 2 of those tag holders that never hunted them after they realized it was a bit of work. Now tell me how we can weed that type of hunter out of the draw pool. It is doing absolutey nobody any favours. Unless of course you happened to be one of the other 4.
All draw tag numbers or based off success rates so it already is delt with. This is why we need mandatory harvest states from every hunter.
Old 07-25-2014, 07:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
Then what about the guys in the next priority pool after those 10 years?
They get to join the not happy group in the lotto draw with 20 entries.

Can't please every whiner in this world.
Old 07-25-2014, 07:44 PM

Quote:
All draw tag numbers or based off success rates so it already is delt with. This is why we need mandatory harvest states from every hunter.
So this is already dealt with but we don't actually know the numbers so we need mandatory reporting of harvest?

-Billy Molls
Old 07-25-2014, 07:45 PM

Quote:
They get to join the not happy group in the lotto draw with 20 entries.
So why not start the non happy now?

-Billy Molls
Old 07-25-2014, 07:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
The sheep tags are the only problems and I feel top priority guys should get there crack before it goes to a lotto.
Um you actually did say sheep tags are the only problems!!!
Old 07-25-2014, 07:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
So this is already dealt with but we don't actually know the numbers so we need mandatory reporting of harvest?
yes sir. Contact the biologist in that are and let him know about the people who wasted the tag. Way better ways to make things happening then sending a letter that will never get read or just ignored after it has been.
Old 07-25-2014, 07:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
Um you actually did say sheep tags are the only problems!!!
yes I did. I said they were now and all will be in the next 5-10 years.
Old 07-25-2014, 07:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
In 10 years all will be drawn and this new idea will be implemented.
So you think all the guys in the 10+yr priority pool in all draws will be draw over 10yrs? Then the new guy building up to 10yrs will start the priority cap lottery??
Old 07-25-2014, 07:53 PM

Quote:
yes sir. Contact the biologist in that are and let him know about the people who wasted the tag. Way better ways to make things happening then sending a letter that will never get read or just ignored after it has been.
Your funny. I actually spoke to three biologists today with a message to one more. You think they will pass that concern on? Not bloomin likely. Oh there will be letters to biologists. CC'ed to MLA's and Ministers.

-Billy Molls
Old 07-25-2014, 07:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
So you think all the guys in the 10+yr priority pool in all draws will be draw over 10yrs? Then the new guy building up to 10yrs will start the priority cap lottery??
no. I think only sheep should be put on that cap lotto. I think people should quit complaining and deal with it cause if it goes the cap lotto you may never draw a tag as a kid.