Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-18-2020, 07:16 PM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
Apart from all the paranoia, there are real world consequences to all this.

I just got off the phone with one of my best friends, his mom was our kindergarten teacher 48 years ago, and I love him like a brother...

He has specialized in immigration law for a while, has his own (highly rated office) in Calgary. With all the border closures, and fallout from this, he is facing bankruptcy. Ten employees, 20 yrs of work, his house, all on the table and not looking good. The $82B bailout package from JT & Co. Won't even touch it. So damn sad for him, family. Staff....
He isn’t alone sadly... I can only ride this out so long myself before I would have to hang up my hat and shut the doors for good. Having just gone through our usual 2 slowest months of the year where we hemorrhage money before the busy season starts to pick us up and bring us back, things are now worse than they were in those 2 typical slowest months of the year! I am clinging to the hope that the good karma I have always tried to put out into the world starts coming back to me in the months that follow or I will be done like dinner...
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23
Old 03-18-2020, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
Lame? What a stupid reply.

It is 35 miles one way for us to the closest grocery store.

We are all happy that your sister lives next door to Safeway, but not everyone lives in the middle of a city.
Some people are as smart as a fencepost Ken as you know although it's tough not to respond to hammerheads sometimes. Not worth a reply. Best of luck to you and family.
Old 03-18-2020, 07:17 PM

https://www.mountainviewtoday.ca/inn...vid-19-2177763

Here is the first case in Innisfail, the Lady most likely contracted it at the Bowden Pen where she works.
Old 03-18-2020, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
Lame? What a stupid reply.

It is 35 miles one way for us to the closest grocery store.

We are all happy that your sister lives next door to Safeway, but not everyone lives in the middle of a city.
And why is it stupid Ken. I’m not going to argue or get into a ****ing match. But if you are supposed to be in quarantine you better be in quarantine. I’m sure the majority of people have a friend or a relative that could get them groceries and drop it on your doorstep even if it is a 35 mile drive.
Old 03-18-2020, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
I thought he mentioned being a welder. Same same I guess.
Pathetic. Bloop has done nothing but try to give people a heads up and share information. He's possibly been exposed, he's sick and his pregnant wife could be sick as well. Yet you still have to knit pick. You have the nerve to kick a man while he's down like that? The only person I would expect to make a move like that would be a spineless coward.

If you had any type of an idea how the real world works you would know that sometimes people get into different careers than they were trained in due to the money or opportunity. In the past I had journeyman mechanics, electricians, carpenters, engineers and numerous college graduates roughnecking on my rig.

Tell us, what's your degree in? Where do you get all of your medical knowledge from?

Give your head a shake.
Old 03-18-2020, 07:21 PM

This is happening in my neighbour hood right now. Was dropped off 5 mins ago and Ive already signed up. Neighbours looking after neighbours.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/attac...1&d=1584580674

Last edited by sns2; 03-19-2020 at 08:23 AM.
Old 03-18-2020, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
Yikes. Feel for you. Do you have someone with you to help you out?

Where do you think you contracted what you got? Did you get the flu shot this year? Lots of barfers at the emergency yesterday.

What did the Alberta Government self assessment tool tell you?

Here is the link. https://myhealth.alberta.ca/Journey/...gaAtzREALw_wcB

Keep us informed. We all want each other to be safe and well.

Sun
You will get through this. Lots of Bro energy heading your way bloopbloob

Dodger.

Last edited by dodger; 03-18-2020 at 07:35 PM.
Old 03-18-2020, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Pretty bang on. MERS was Covid 1 I believe. SARS was Covid 2. We weren't kept in the loop on the next 16, now we have Covid 19. Covid 19 is a direct descendant if you will.
(Novel coronavirus 2019) ,the sixth case of cornonavirus.Is covid 19

First time was in 1960 human coronovirus229E AND OC43 .

2ND SARS in 2003

3rd HCOV NL63 in the 2004

5th mers-cov in 2112

The six strains of these singular virus
has been around for some time and we will beat this one also.
Beat it the first 5 times ,the sixth has just hit harder, but we will beat it.

No if what's or butt's we will defeat it and be better as a country ,it may take time to fire back up on all cylinders ,but this engine will keep on running. Right now it's spurting and backfiring ,but it will run smooth in a matter of time.

JD

Last edited by JD848; 03-18-2020 at 07:59 PM.
Old 03-18-2020, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Pretty bang on. MERS was Covid 1 I believe. SARS was Covid 2. We weren't kept in the loop on the next 16, now we have Covid 19. Covid 19 is a direct descendant if you will.
COVID-19 is actually just the press term for the science/technical term for the virus (2019-ncov). Both essentially mean coronavirus 2019 as it is a new virus in the coronavirus group of viruses that attack the respiratory system in humans. Essentially no one has come up with a name for it yet. SARS and MERS are also classified as coronaviruses but they do not necessarily share genomes with each other or COVID-19. Generally speaking, new viruses usually start off transmitting only between animals, then they mutate to transmit just animal > human before finally mutating to transmit human > human.
Old 03-18-2020, 07:34 PM

Quote:
I thought he mentioned being a welder. Same same I guess.
You and Chuck just posted what are the ugliest comments I have seen here in 12 years.

Bloop is sick and his family are distraught.
Yet you find joy in laughing at their distress.

Please leave this thread.
It would be better for everyone, including you.

Please people.

Stay composed.
Take this seriously.

I just left a Covid ICU isolation ward in a Calgary hospital.
There are patients arriving as I write this.
The medical community is going full out preparing for a war.
Let's do our part.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."

Last edited by walking buffalo; 03-18-2020 at 07:56 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-18-2020, 07:43 PM

As of today, 2500 healthcare workers have contracted Covid 19 in Italy while treating patients.
Old 03-18-2020, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tirebob View Post
He isn’t alone sadly... I can only ride this out so long myself before I would have to hang up my hat and shut the doors for good. Having just gone through our usual 2 slowest months of the year where we hemorrhage money before the busy season starts to pick us up and bring us back, things are now worse than they were in those 2 typical slowest months of the year! I am clinging to the hope that the good karma I have always tried to put out into the world starts coming back to me in the months that follow or I will be done like dinner...
I feel for you Bob, truly I do. I have been getting beat up for 5 years, and now all this... she is a tough one. I hope you find your way through it.

As for all those who can't seem to appreciate the real world hardships that are going on because of this, Schadenfreude doesn't look good on anyone.

I wish the best for all. I truly hope this is a big fat nothing burger, and we can all feel a little embarrassed for our reactions. Truly. Because the alternative is really really dark.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 03-18-2020, 07:44 PM

Thanks all for the support from so many of you. Not going to dignify some others comments with a response. I wouldn't wish this on anyone, whatever it is. Just got over a flu in the house about 10 days ago only lasted about 2 days. This is different. Flu symptoms but I can't breathe. Can't get any help from medical services at this point. Can't get through to 811 still. Can't get tested, and told not to bother even trying to come to the hospital, I will be refused before I get near the door.
Old 03-18-2020, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Hate to hear stuff like this Bob although it is all too real right now. Best of luck.

Darrel
Old 03-18-2020, 07:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloopbloob View Post
Thanks all for the support from so many of you. Not going to dignify some others comments with a response. I wouldn't wish this on anyone, whatever it is. Just got over a flu in the house about 10 days ago only lasted about 2 days. This is different. Flu symptoms but I can't breathe. Can't get any help from medical services at this point. Can't get through to 811 still. Can't get tested, and told not to bother even trying to come to the hospital, I will be refused before I get near the door.
Bloop...did you at least take your temperature to take some stress away?? Good Luck
Old 03-18-2020, 07:49 PM

Bloop wishing you all the best. Please keep us posted on your status. It has to be very frustrating to be in this situation and you can’t talk to someone in healthcare.
Old 03-18-2020, 07:50 PM

I would implore everyone to start disinfecting all your outside wearing public footwear. Im noticing this trend in public places, even @ the SPCA today where staff cleaned behind as i left..is corona following us home? (as it can live 8days anywhere on surfaces.)
Old 03-18-2020, 07:51 PM

Quote:

Correction. Got my corona viruse emergence order juxtaposed. SARS was 1, MERS was 2, current Virus is SARS-COV-2, the virus that causes the Disease known as Covid-19.
Old 03-18-2020, 07:52 PM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
I feel for you Bob, truly I do. I have been getting beat up for 5 years, and now all this... she is a tough one. I hope you find your way through it.

As for all those who can't seem to appreciate the real world hardships that are going on because of this, Schadenfreude doesn't look good on anyone.

I wish the best for all. I truly hope this is a big fat nothing burger, and we can all feel a little embarrassed for our reactions. Truly. Because the alternative is really really dark.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotok View Post
Hate to hear stuff like this Bob although it is all too real right now. Best of luck.

Darrel
Thanks Gents... I really do appreciate the sentiment! Truth is though, I know even with all my personal woes, things are still worse for a lot of other people out their just clinging on so I need to keep my self pity in check and just keep on keeping on. I truly hope we can all rebound from this stronger than ever!
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23
Old 03-18-2020, 07:54 PM

What Dale said.

We need to start thinking of others.
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 03-18-2020, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Thanks Gents... I really do appreciate the sentiment! Truth is though, I know even with all my personal woes, things are still worse for a lot of other people out their just clinging on so I need to keep my self pity in check and just keep on keeping on. I truly hope we can all rebound from this stronger than ever!
I will have a good whisky and toast your good recovery Bob. Don't know if it will be worth a damn, but it is sincere. TC

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 03-18-2020, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
You and Chuck just posted what are the ugliest comments I have seen here in 12 years.

Bloop is sick and his family are distraught.
Yet you find joy in laughing at their distress.

Please leave this thread.
It would be better for everyone, including you.

Please people.

Stay composed.
Take this seriously.

I just left a Covid ICU isolation ward in a Calgary hospital.
There a patients arriving as I write this.
The medical community is going full out preparing for a war.
Let's do our part.

The symptoms he listed are not noted as being Covid 19 related. Still lots of flu and colds around.

Relax.
Old 03-18-2020, 07:58 PM

Feel for ya bloop. Wish you well soon and prayers for you and your family. Very important to stay isolated at this point. Can’t imagine your situation and sure hope I don’t have to live it. Keep on with 811 and stay strong. Your doing the right thing by staying put.

Yeeesh. Man I sure feel for ya .....

Not sure where you live but if I’m close and can help AO community member consider it done. ( evil or good ) edit : YOURE NOT EVIL. Man I just re read what I wrote oops. Not you. Others. Phbtpthgtg.

I sure hope everyone here has help they can count on to help out if they fall ill. Or if they are already compromised by health or age. If not I will drive 35 miles 135 miles or 235 miles to help.

Maybe we as a AO community could have another thread started simply for help. Maybe just post “ I can help in Calgary west region “ or “ I can help Edmonton north area “ something simple that a person can PM the poster in their area if need be.

I would sure hate to here someone suffered and they were close to me. Is there something we can do as a AO community to help each other. Any Ideas ?

Last edited by elk eater; 03-18-2020 at 08:05 PM.
Old 03-18-2020, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD848 View Post
(Novel coronavirus 2019) ,the sixth case of cornonavirus.Is covid 19

First time was in 1960 human coronovirus229E AND OC43 .

2ND SARS in 2003

3rd HCOV NL63 in the 2004

5th mers-cov in 2112

The six strains of these singular viruse has been around for some time and we will beat this one also.
Beat it the first 5 times ,the sixth has just hit harder, but we will beat it.

No if what's or butt's we will defeat it and be a better as a country ,it may take time to fire back up on all cylinders ,but this engine will keep on running. Right now it's spurting and backfiring ,but it will run smooth in a matter of time.

JD

Yep. As always data gathered from earlier versions helps huge.
Old 03-18-2020, 07:59 PM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
I will have a good whisky and toast your good recovery Bob. Don't know if it will be worth a damn, but it is sincere. TC
Right back at you sir! I knew all this scotch hoarding I have been doing over the last few years would come in handy! Since I am going to be on lockdown mode spending wise, I can still carry on with a fantastic dram for a while before things really start to get ugly!
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Old 03-18-2020, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bessiedog View Post
And it seems like ya jus wanna stir it up by making suggestions like that trophyB

Stop it
Agree, back from a time out, guess a much longer time out was needed.

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 03-18-2020, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrowan View Post
COVID-19 is actually just the press term for the science/technical term for the virus (2019-ncov). Both essentially mean coronavirus 2019 as it is a new virus in the coronavirus group of viruses that attack the respiratory system in humans. Essentially no one has come up with a name for it yet. SARS and MERS are also classified as coronaviruses but they do not necessarily share genomes with each other or COVID-19. Generally speaking, new viruses usually start off transmitting only between animals, then they mutate to transmit just animal > human before finally mutating to transmit human > human.

Feb. 11 WHO named ithe disease COVID-19. WHO, U.S. CDC, AND PHAC in Canada references vary on the disease vs the virus but COVID-19 disease name and SARS-COV-2, virus name are generally accepted now.

You see a lot of SARS-COV-2 (the virus that causes COVID-19) since NNHPD deemed it acceptable to use in communications.

Last edited by 270person; 03-18-2020 at 08:29 PM.
Old 03-18-2020, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloopbloob View Post
Man is our system that broken. How can they refuse you at the hospital when they know this plague is out there. Are the hospitals that packed with covid patients already. Very strange.
Old 03-18-2020, 08:23 PM

Default Detailed Alberta covid stats

Location, age, etc...
https://www.alberta.ca/covid-19-alberta-statistics.aspx
Old 03-18-2020, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post
There was a rumour that Canadian Tire was going to close its doors

It is just a rumour. I just talked to the management here. They have been given no direction to do such a thing at this time.

FYI
From the email I received earlier:

I know that for many Canadians, the last few days have heightened feelings of concern and uncertainty around COVID-19. Right now, we are focused on how we can continue to serve our communities in this time of need, while also being part of the solution. So today, we are announcing some changes that will go into effect tomorrow.

We have made the decision to close all of our non-essential retail banners across Canada until April 2, 2020. This includes our Mark’s/L’Équipeur, SportChek, Atmosphere, Party City, Pro Hockey Life, National Sports and PartSource stores. Customers can continue to shop across our family of companies online. We know that for many employees, store closures can lead to financial stress – please note that during the closure period our full and part-time employees will be paid.

At this time, our Canadian Tire Retail stores will remain open, but with reduced hours. Our Canadian Tire Retail stores are doing everything they can to deliver on the essential products Canadians need. We are committed to doing our best to continue helping you navigate through this challenge, and this includes providing the essential products, while protecting the health and well-being of our employees and customers. Please check with your local Canadian Tire store for updated hours of operation. You can of course shop Canadian Tire online at canadiantire.ca by using our click-and-collect or deliver-to-home options. As online orders increase, it may take us longer than usual to ship your items, and we ask that you try and remain patient with us.

If you plan to visit one of our Canadian Tire Retail stores, know that we are continuing to take precautions such as enhanced cleaning of our stores and encouraging strong hygiene practices among our team members. Unless supply is simply unavailable, we are offering hand sanitizer and wipes at work stations, checkouts and in common areas. To help protect and support our elderly and more vulnerable customers, many of our Canadian Tire Associate Dealers are offering reserved shopping hours. To further protect our store employees and yourselves, we ask that when you are in one of our stores, you practice safe social distancing. And of course, if you are feeling unwell, please take care of yourself and follow Public Health guidelines.

We are doing the best that we can to support you and your local community, while at the same time, doing our part to reduce the spread of COVID-19. With all of us working together, and supporting one another, we will get through this.