Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-04-2009, 10:39 PM

Quote:
If you are this confused in life there isn't a hope of me explaining it to you. Only confusion on par with yours would have someone send in paper work that disqualified himself.
Actually you posted that you were denied a special license that would have allowed you to use a crossbow during the archery season,but you did not specify why you were denied that license.If anything you appear to be so bitter about it that you are being evasive as to why your application was not approved.I would rather hear the real story from you,rather than assume fact that may not be true,such as the possibility that your doctor felt that you were physically capable of drawing a bow.But if you would prefer that people assume as to why you were denied the special license,that is your business.
Old 01-05-2009, 07:37 AM

Once again your reasoning escapes me but I'm sure that is nothing new in your life. I've done the whole song and dance twice to be turned down each time by F&W. I'm not alone and I know of another person who was turned down last year.
Would you really come on here and complain that your Dr. didn't agree you were disabled and you couldn't get a special license from the government becasue of him? Come on nobody is that stupi....
Old 01-05-2009, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 209x50 View Post
I've had elbow surgery and can't shoot a bow and I've been turned down for the crossbow license.
That is odd? I know a couple of guys who have it and it is questionable to say the least.- But they got the Doctor to sign off so who am I to say anything different.

Pretty simple really- If you can't draw and hold a bow as per the legal description in the regulations and a Doctor agrees with you F&W have no choice.

If it is legit this makes absolutely no sense
Old 01-05-2009, 11:29 AM

LD it makes no scense to me either. I spent a fair amount of time doing all the proper stuff only to have my application denied, twice. I give up, there are other ways to get what I want.
Old 01-20-2009, 10:00 PM

Default Medical documentation

Quote:
LD it makes no scense to me either. I spent a fair amount of time doing all the proper stuff only to have my application denied, twice. I give up, there are other ways to get what I want.
I was also denied, with medical documentation of my inability to draw a bow due to injuries, (which cost me a hundred bucks as it's not covered by Alberta Health Care - and apparently would be required every year). I've also given up on the medical route, partially because of the cost and frustration, but mostly because I find the whole situation so ridiculous. It is very disheartening that some archery hunters demonize crossbows with fallacious arguments, and more so that SRD apparently is influences by those fallacious arguments. It would be so much better if all archery hunters were welcome in the ABA - including those who choose or are forced to use a crossbow.
Old 01-21-2009, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by conservationist View Post
It is very disheartening that some archery hunters demonize crossbows with fallacious arguments
Fallacious arguments.

2 inch groups @ 100 yds & 450 feet per second released this year by PSE...

http://pse-archery.com/pdf/09_TAC_15_Flier.pdf

Yeah you're right, your argument IS totally fallacious and misleading. This is really shaping up to look JUST like the 50 yd maximum range muzzle loader myth.

BTW, I took a really nice muley doe with my in-line this year. 200 yd shot. Yeah 50 yd weapon my *****.
Old 01-21-2009, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by conservationist View Post
I was also denied, with medical documentation of my inability to draw a bow due to injuries, (which cost me a hundred bucks as it's not covered by Alberta Health Care - and apparently would be required every year). I've also given up on the medical route, partially because of the cost and frustration, but mostly because I find the whole situation so ridiculous. It is very disheartening that some archery hunters demonize crossbows with fallacious arguments, and more so that SRD apparently is influences by those fallacious arguments. It would be so much better if all archery hunters were welcome in the ABA - including those who choose or are forced to use a crossbow.
If there is legitimate cause as per a doctors examination and letter saying so then this is a problem, You should scan and post this paperwork, or SRD application that has been denied. Just black out your personal info. I would like to see this, as I am sure others would as well.

The ABA welcomes hunters with all weapons. I am a member and I rifle hunt. I personally know 3 members with crossbows and they hunt with them and I am sure there are many more, so no problem with the ABA not welcoming you. Being welcomed by the ABA has nothing to to with what weapon you choose to hunt with. You should come out to the banquet this year and see for yourself.

* This is the second post on how a crossbow permit has apparently been denied to a legitimate user. If this is the case then you guys should have no problem posting the documentation. If anything it should help your cause.

Last edited by LongDraw; 01-21-2009 at 08:44 AM. Reason: added comment
Old 01-21-2009, 07:59 AM

Russ, By now most of us have learned how to read the hype in advertising, and any bow horizontal or vertical is capable of 100 yard shots, not many shooters are capable of it so that once again falls under personal hunting ethics.
Back in the very early 1800's the first 500 and 100 yard muzzleloader competitions took place and let me tell you there were some real talented shooters back then! 200 yards with today's optics isn't much of a feat. It is today's optics and ballistically efficient bullets that are the only performance differences between yesterdays MLs and today's. Nobody claimed that the ML's were only 50 yard weapons that I'm aware of in fact most advertising hype is quite about the opposite.
Say what is the speed on the new Matthews bow?
Old 01-21-2009, 10:48 AM

1. You just called the good people at PSE a bunch of liars. Did you bother to read the lock time spec?
2. Give me the name of a person that claims to consistently get 2" groups @ 100 yards with a compound bow and I'll show you a liar.
3. Have you ever heard of the term "dynamic tension"? It's what makes bows inherently inaccurate. It's also removed from the crossbow BY design; dynamic tension is virtually non-existent, even when you're shooting freehand.
4. The muzzle loader crowd ALSO said the accuracy claims were exaggerated, now we all know that in fact it was completely the other way around. Do you honestly believe that the 2" @ 100 yd accuracy of the compound is going to remain the domain of the $1500 crossbow forever?
Old 01-21-2009, 11:18 AM

LOL you are easily excitable aren't you?
1. I never called anyone a liar, please quote where I did. Lock time specs might turn a 1" rifle group into a .9" group but for the most part are a tiny factor in the outcome. But they sure attract the buyers attention!
2. I never said I knew anyone that claimed to shoot 2" @ 100 yards, please quote where I did. Please don't try to claim I wrote something that I didn't.
3.Dynamic tension has to with the shooters ability, just like there are good and bad rifle shooters. Good shooters can control it, bad ones need more practice.
4. Optics and bullets made the ML more accurate in the average shooters hands, not where the primer is placed. I do hope the market is flooded with cheap highly accurate bows, if there is one thing I do appreciate it is accurate shooting by hunters.
Old 02-18-2009, 10:38 AM

Default Re: crossbows

I moved from Ontario to calgary we have a bow season there that includes all three in one season it works out really good they should have the same here. When it come down to it its all about the hunter the crossbow does help out with less movement but its also a better change to place your shoot. I dont know how many time I have gone out hunting and found what was left of a deer the was shoot with a arrow that was never found at less with a crossbow this does not happen as often. Its your choice to pick what kind of gun you use why cant it be your choice on what bow you use?
Old 02-18-2009, 11:49 AM

This thread started in 2006. You guys got this issue solved yet?
Old 03-09-2009, 06:50 PM

I have on for sale if you are interested? Excalibur equinox fully loaded! 850$
Old 03-12-2009, 10:40 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
This thread started in 2006. You guys got this issue solved yet?
It will be solved when we see the tool added to the rest of the seasons that have the other bows allowed. Maybe this upcoming season i'm hoping?

Got sunday hunting for the most part last year....thats gotta be a sign that some folks in power are paying attention now eh? So maybe we'll see another nice thing like that this year with the crossbow?

Now once we get this crossbow in where it fits then the next major thing we should be workin on is e-callers for the predators!.........get all the above sorted and life will be dang nears perfect!
Old 03-12-2009, 10:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG HOPE View Post
I have on for sale if you are interested? Excalibur equinox fully loaded! 850$
Maybe....will see if the crossbow gets in where it fits and we can talk then.
Old 03-12-2009, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Coyote View Post
Maybe....will see if the crossbow gets in where it fits and we can talk then.
Why wait? There's always the general season. I'm a little confused here, you already have a season BUT you don't want to use it. If you're really serious about this crossbow thing, start hunting in the general season? Don't tell me you can't compete with the other guys cause your weapon is only good for 100 yds instead of 300. I regularly hunt with an ML in the general season and have on occassion used my bow. The only obstacle to you using your crossbow in a season that ALREADY exists is YOU and NO ONE ELSE.
Old 03-18-2009, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ View Post
Why wait? There's always the general season. I'm a little confused here, you already have a season BUT you don't want to use it. If you're really serious about this crossbow thing, start hunting in the general season? Don't tell me you can't compete with the other guys cause your weapon is only good for 100 yds instead of 300. I regularly hunt with an ML in the general season and have on occassion used my bow. The only obstacle to you using your crossbow in a season that ALREADY exists is YOU and NO ONE ELSE.
You hit the nail on the head here Russ!!!!
Old 03-20-2009, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Why wait? There's always the general season. I'm a little confused here, you already have a season BUT you don't want to use it.
Jeez Russ that same shoe fits on a vertical bow shooters foot, maybe we should just be getting rid of the bow season and we can all hunt with our choice of tools in the general season.
Stinky your wish comes true this year!
Old 03-20-2009, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Jeez Russ that same shoe fits on a vertical bow shooters foot, maybe we should just be getting rid of the bow season and we can all hunt with our choice of tools in the general season.
get rid of the whole danged mess, and have ONE SEASON!!
There, I feel better now.
I get sick and tired of guys talking about stick bow seasons, compound and cross bow seasons, and "primitive" seasons.....
Cat
Old 03-20-2009, 04:45 PM
Hoochie Papa

Muzzelloaders shoot balls, rifles shoot bullets, shotguns shoot pellets, x-guns shoot bolts. BOWS SHOOT ARROWS.

It's a gun. The End.
Old 03-21-2009, 04:18 PM

yup, can't see the big advantage of a crossbow. You still got to get close. Heck most of my rifle shots are under 100yards.lol Who cares let them have there cross bows. Its just a bow and arrow sideways. I'll out shoot any cross bow out to 80 yards anyhow.lmfao.
Old 03-21-2009, 04:36 PM

Quote:

Do you know something that we don't?
Old 03-22-2009, 06:10 AM

E callers LD!
Old 03-22-2009, 09:05 AM

Quote:
E callers LD!
Gotcha- I heard the same with regards to e-callers.
Old 03-23-2009, 02:52 PM
Banned

Quote:

Its not for me....its for the people i want to take with me while bowhunting. So i would buy one. I'd probably call the odd coyote in with it during the off season too.

No reason it shouldn't be allowed where it fits. Taking it in the general season? Huh, i'll just lend the people coming with me one of my other guns. Only have one bow though and seeing as how they are custom fit its kinda hard to do the same in archery seasons eh? That is until they let in the crossbow....then i'll have a variety of hunting partners through all the seasons!
Old 03-23-2009, 02:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wctbowtech View Post
You hit the nail on the head here Russ!!!!

No, I hit the nail on the head!!!!

Old 03-23-2009, 02:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
How sweet it is. I assume just for the predators?

Those are my 3 big things (sunday hunting/e-callers for predators/crossbow inclusion)....so two of them happening back to back years....life is good......hope the crossbow comes on year number 3!! I'll keep my finners crossed.
Old 03-24-2009, 01:00 PM

So I'm really curious about 2 common statements...

X-Bow companies claim that their products are capable of extremely small groups @ long distances. (EG. PSE's claim for the TAC15 @ 100yds and Ten Points 1.5" @ 50 yd claim)
The response here, well that's exaggerated, not possible
Numerous X-bow companies claim portability & their model xyz is the perfect choice for stalking.
Again, the response on this forum is that the portability is exaggerated
So this leaves me with two questions...
  • Where do these crossbow companies claims cross from fact to fiction?
  • Why am I expected to believe one part of the marketing claims but reject another?
Old 03-24-2009, 02:20 PM

Come on russ your are not that naive no matter how hard you try portray it and what does advertising have to do with the question at hand?
Old 03-24-2009, 02:51 PM

Absolutely everything, and you know it. Where does the truth start and the lies end?

It's a simple question and it deserves an answer.