Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-29-2013, 11:46 AM
Banned

Let's talk safe storage for a moment.

It IS.....4 solid walls and 1 solid locked entrance... that is NOT easily accessed.

The term "easily" is what will cause problems in court.

The term "easily" is defined by the officer in charge at the scene.
And this is what you will be fighting in a court of law!!!!!!!

This is the main point....followed by sub-points.

So again.....know your firearms laws (especially you young folks that are new to guns).
Old 06-29-2013, 11:47 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopher View Post
Nice stance in avatar did you hit the pop can? The A5 you have there is worth $250 on a good day don't compare that junk gun to what could have been seized.
You have time to edit this comment......I suggest you do it.

(friendly advice)
Old 06-29-2013, 11:56 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnGiant View Post

It IS.....4 solid walls and 1 solid locked entrance... that is NOT easily accessed.

So again.....know your firearms laws (especially you young folks that are new to guns).
Classic example of avarge joe couch rider and there interpretation of storage laws. You honestly have no clue what you talking about do you?
Old 06-29-2013, 12:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopher View Post
Classic example of avarge joe couch rider and there interpretation of storage laws. You honestly have no clue what you talking about do you?
Hahahahahaha....if you say so lil one.

You are NOT worth my time in explaining how I know this.

Old 06-29-2013, 12:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
Hahahahahaha....if you say so lil one.

You are NOT worth my time in explaining how I know this.

I am sorry Mtn I should not have come at you like that my age gets the best of me I should respect my elders more.

Could you please explain to all us young fellers storage laws?
Old 06-29-2013, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gutline homestead View Post
now spin it this way, You go home and see the devastation wrecked home and life style, Bad time to have guns laying around.....
Sorry?

Who made you my nanny?
Old 06-29-2013, 12:29 PM
Banned

Still scrapping it out, all the worlds problems solved on a message board.

From: http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/al...564/story.html

Quote:
However, it gets more complicated in the case of unlicensed gun owners or restricted firearms, which still require registration.

Turnbull said the force won't re-lease firearms to people who don't hold a licence, but added police will be lenient and give people time to obtain the proper paperwork.

"We want to work with the residents of High River to facilitate them complying with the law," he said.

Because it may take time for residents to return home, Turnbull said the RCMP isn't imposing a deadline for people to reclaim their guns.

"We will hold onto them as long as they need us to," he said.
If that's not a gun confiscation "because we can", I don't know what it is... Some of you need to give your heads a shake. Good luck in getting your guns back.

I've seen the charter of rights mentioned in this thread over unreasonable search and seizure. If the police don't voluntarily uphold the charter of rights and freedoms (and they don't have to anymore), then we as a populace are out of luck. Where there is no remedy against these breaches, there are no rights. We don't have rights anymore, we have privileges.
Old 06-29-2013, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gutline homestead View Post
I heard they were collecting ,unsecured guns that were laying around,we all know the rules ,if we failed we we failed. now spin it this way, You go home and see the devastation wrecked home and life style, Bad time to have guns laying around.Color it how you like the flavor of it,,BUT the LAW IS....PLAIN and SIMPLE it`s the LAW. You messed up and now you stand tall of duck low....
So you would have left your fire arms in your basement gun safe knowing they would be flooded ? Throw your deer rifle in the bath tub for a week and tell me how that works out for yah.
Old 06-29-2013, 12:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary Dave View Post

Quite frankly, I think this was the right call made. The last thing we need when thousands of volunteers come to help with the clean up and entering these homes, is some child, curious teen or anyone with no gun experience discovering one of these "un-secured guns" laying out in the open with possible tragic results.

Good on the RCMP. Ridiculous to hear the conspiracists and NRA nuts with their "jumping to conclusions".

I'm sure every person involved in this undertaking had these very same sentiments expressed by this soldier:
If some volunteer or curious teen is rummaging around my flooded house before I get there, he doesn't have to worry about safe firearm storage. He should be worried about getting a boot up his *****. No?
Old 06-29-2013, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Yeah, that's it. Jump to more conclusions and have your mind already made up as to what the facts were to support your conspiracy theories. Despite what reports and personal accounts are. (Come to think of it...aren't all your conclusions based only on media reports and statements made on forums?)

*shrug*. No sweat off my balls. I couldn't care less what the nuts want to think actually happened. You obviously won't ever be convinced otherwise.
Maybe you and all the others should just plan an outright armed revolt against the RCMP and gov't.

All you are doing is basing your opinion on internet postings and media reports too.

Keep googling, maybe soon you'll find a page that allows you to grasp the improprieties of the RCMP and possibly the Armed Forces in regards to their actions in High River.
Old 06-29-2013, 01:00 PM

Ironic that the aniversary of D-Day was only a few weeks ago and now we have civil servants acting like Nazis.
Old 06-29-2013, 01:01 PM

So, it's Saturday and some residents are supposed to be allowed to go home. Has there been any updates from actual residents? ie, are doors really busted? Are all doors busted or just some?

Would be nice to hear from someone who actually has been allowed back in town
Old 06-29-2013, 01:13 PM

Quote:

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/f...posage-eng.htm

For non-restricted firearms, a trigger lock OR bolt removed, OR being locked in cabinet or container satisfies the laws, WITHOUT four locked walls, and a solid locked entrance.
Old 06-29-2013, 01:21 PM

Interviewing RCMP right now on 770 AM. (Corus radio).
Old 06-29-2013, 01:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post

For non-restricted firearms, a trigger lock OR bolt removed, OR being locked in cabinet or container satisfies the laws, WITHOUT four locked walls, and a solid locked entrance.
Gee that's sure different from what Mtn says.
Old 06-29-2013, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Gee that's sure different from what Mtn says.
Below is the link to the actual legislation. And coincidentally, it contains that same "OR" that some people just don't want to see.

http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/r...age-2.html#h-3

Quote:
STORAGE OF NON-RESTRICTED FIREARMS

5. (1) An individual may store a non-restricted firearm only if

(a) it is unloaded;

(b) it is

(i) rendered inoperable by means of a secure locking device,

(ii) rendered inoperable by the removal of the bolt or bolt-carrier, or

(iii) stored in a container, receptacle or room that is kept securely locked and that is constructed so that it cannot readily be broken open or into; and

(c) it is not readily accessible to ammunition, unless the ammunition is stored, together with or separately from the firearm, in a container or receptacle that is kept securely locked and that is constructed so that it cannot readily be broken open or into.

(2) Paragraph (1)(b) does not apply to any individual who stores a non-restricted firearm temporarily if the individual reasonably requires it for the control of predators or other animals in a place where it may be discharged in accordance with all applicable Acts of Parliament and of the legislature of a province, regulations made under such Acts, and municipal by-laws.

(3) Paragraphs (1)(b) and (c) do not apply to an individual who stores a non-restricted firearm in a location that is in a remote wilderness area that is not subject to any visible or otherwise reasonably ascertainable use incompatible with hunting.

Old 06-29-2013, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Atta boy. Just start name calling. Classy.

Love all the conclusions you've jumped to as how they handled the firearms. Whose the fool again?
Good for your kids. Wanna cookie!?!
In a few weeks the whole town will be inundated with thousands of volunteers walking into homes to help out with the clean up. I doubt every single one of them are as knowledgeable as your kids.

How about just wake up?!
Calling you a fool is not name calling. Calling you a tool is.
Old 06-29-2013, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
Calling you a fool is not name calling. Calling you a tool is.
Fool, tool, it's kinda hazy really I think.
Now, if you had called him a "foolish tool", I'd be jumping out of the way for fear of being hit by flying debris from when the ban hammer came crashing down!!
Cat

Last edited by catnthehat; 06-29-2013 at 02:12 PM.
Old 06-29-2013, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Aaaaaaaaahahahahahahaha......

We need a "shake hands" emoticon
Can you get that one ABB??????

hows that???!?!
Old 06-29-2013, 02:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Right, because leaving TV, jewelry, etc around in the open would be VERY dangerous if some child happened to come upon it.

The safety isn't for the firearms OWNERS....the "safety" is for the PUBLIC, in case these improperly stored firearms gets into the hands of someone else.

Wow, your logic goes right out the window the second someone mentions taking your guns away, doesn't it? Kinda like an infant when someone takes away his soother to wash it.
Now who is jumping top conclusions?

What chlid?
The town was evacuated.
Were there missing children after that was done?
Were children wandering the streets and entering locked homes?

Fact is you that you are using the same sources and doing the same conclusion jumping that everyone else is.

Besides that the safety claim is a bit thin.

You know what else is dangerous?
Chemicals... notably fertalizer if it gets wet or acids and bases if they mix.

Yes... people are speculating but so are you and do you honestly believe that literally hundreds of firearms were not stored IAW the law in a town of only 12000 people?

No doubt much of what has been speculated upon is going to prove false but that doesn't mean that people do not have a justifiable concern about how this was conducted on the whole.

No matter... we'll find out over the next few days.
Old 06-29-2013, 02:33 PM

Welcome to "Standard Operational Procedure"

According to the RCMP, this IS the New Norm.

Starting at 2:18
https://soundcloud.com/#okotoksonline/firearm-removal

"The security of these firearms occured during the normal course of RCMP operations.

It is Not remarkable for us.

The similar thing occured during the Slave Lake fire.

It's part of our operations. "
Old 06-29-2013, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post

Thanks for posting the link elkhunter11. I'd seen it before and I sure hope everyone reads it and looks at the pictures (for those who have some reading comprehension difficulty - ha, ha) so everyone can clearly understand the law. Maybe everyone should print that off, pictures and all, and maybe we should give copies to the police and media so they can understand the law too.

I had asked a question about the legality of firearms secured in cases - like in the police video from High River. According to the pictures in the link provided by elkhunter it's legal to store firearms in such a case - locked. So if the police took firearms in secure cases like that, or firearms with trigger locks on them, then they violated the law. And then they need to answer for it and at the very least make very public apology.
Old 06-29-2013, 02:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
Welcome to "Standard Operational Procedure"

According to the RCMP, this IS the New Norm.

Starting at 2:18
https://soundcloud.com/#okotoksonline/firearm-removal

"The security of these firearms occured during the normal course of RCMP operations.

It is Not remarkable for us.

The similar thing occured during the Slave Lake fire.

It's part of our operations. "

Normal operations or Modus operandi ... who can tell the differance anymore?
Old 06-29-2013, 02:55 PM

Quote:

I don't know , if launching a zodiac or row boat 1/2 mile away , then motor or row thru the town , while avoiding the people supposedly protecting it. Then finding a prime candidate of a house ( roll of the dice) kick in a door, wade thru the muck chit and debris strewn about the home . Then get up stairs and hopefully find a couple rifles to loot. Yep sounds like easily acssesible to me. It was a witch hunt nothing more nothing less. It pretty prevalent in that vid they were targeting specific houses.
I hope the residents launch a class action suit.
Old 06-29-2013, 03:13 PM

What's the point of a class action lawsuit?
Old 06-29-2013, 03:16 PM

The RCMP didn't just take the guns from peoples homes. They just made their own gun registry in High River.
Old 06-29-2013, 03:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master_Baitcaster View Post
hows that???!?!
Thats awesome thanks

Can this somehow be added to the AOF emoticon list??
Old 06-29-2013, 03:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by super7mag View Post
I don't know , if launching a zodiac or row boat 1/2 mile away , then motor or row thru the town , while avoiding the people supposedly protecting it. Then finding a prime candidate of a house ( roll of the dice) kick in a door, wade thru the muck chit and debris strewn about the home . Then get up stairs and hopefully find a couple rifles to loot. Yep sounds like easily acssesible to me. It was a witch hunt nothing more nothing less. It pretty prevalent in that vid they were targeting specific houses.
I hope the residents launch a class action suit.
Another over the head missed point taken.....keep em comin
Old 06-29-2013, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Another over the head missed point taken.....keep em comin
What was your point? To post incorrect legal information?

This is not a video game.
Old 06-29-2013, 03:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
What was your point? To post incorrect legal information?

This is not a video game.
My information is fact my friend.

And elkhunter11 even posted it.....#466 for your referance

It just goes to show how little some of you know about gun laws.

Are you actually reading the posts?????

But carry on onward