Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 05-19-2023, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WV911 View Post
Several polls, including the Toronto Star have John Tory with 42% of people supporting as mayor even though he isn't running with Chow at 21%.
Olivia Chow will be a disaster.
Lol. This should be of concern for prairie provinces. Toronto & area, has more population than Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba combined. So much for PC winning federal election.
Old 05-19-2023, 09:41 AM

https://nationalpost.com/opinion/lic...jczMi42MC4wLjA.

This article sums up my stance on the whole thing. If a political candidate won't offer up any ideas, other than attacking the opponent for their ideas, why would people vote for that? Considering that the debt Notley saddled us with was 12 billion debt when taking office, to over 80 billion when she was voted out in 4 years. The article mentions an extra 2.2 billion a year servicing this debt. Why doesn't anyone blame the health care and budget mess on her? Covid expanded this (UCP), but would have be worse exponentially with Notley steering the ship. Her track record is terrible, she implemented a ton of stuff she didn't campaign on, and every single thing her cabinet accomplished left us worse off. I am baffled public pressure couldn't get her to resign after he election loss. Just shows you how much free stuff people in this province want. People that work for a living shouldn't be fooled by this, union or not.
Old 05-19-2023, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehrgeiz View Post
Man, Lukaszuk is a slime ball and I mean especially so even for a politician. I wouldn't trust that guy as far as I could throw him.
He is like a piece of stuff that is stuck to a boot, can't get rid of it easily. He should be long gone from the political scene but they keep using him as some expert opinion. He is far from that other than a anything but UCP guy now.

As far as the debate, pretty close, no real standout, each got some good shots in with the edge going to DS imo. Notley had the Freeland twitch going on all night, trying to look to the moderators and camera at the same time.
Old 05-19-2023, 01:17 PM

What stood out to me was the closing statements.

Smith focused on herself and albertans

Notley spent almost the entire time attacking Smith.

I think Notley was very surprised with Smith's closing remarks and seemed like she was choking on her own words.

I bet she wishes she would have taken the higher road as well.
Old 05-19-2023, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan15 View Post
https://nationalpost.com/opinion/lic...jczMi42MC4wLjA.

This article sums up my stance on the whole thing. If a political candidate won't offer up any ideas, other than attacking the opponent for their ideas, why would people vote for that? Considering that the debt Notley saddled us with was 12 billion debt when taking office, to over 80 billion when she was voted out in 4 years. The article mentions an extra 2.2 billion a year servicing this debt. Why doesn't anyone blame the health care and budget mess on her? Covid expanded this (UCP), but would have be worse exponentially with Notley steering the ship. Her track record is terrible, she implemented a ton of stuff she didn't campaign on, and every single thing her cabinet accomplished left us worse off. I am baffled public pressure couldn't get her to resign after he election loss. Just shows you how much free stuff people in this province want. People that work for a living shouldn't be fooled by this, union or not.
The crazy thing is. She was / is more moderate than any of her caucus and back benchers. This is not a party Alberta can afford to experiment with again .
Old 05-19-2023, 03:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
Someone posted big printouts of this over a bunch of the big KVT signs around Pincher creek. Hillarious!
Old 05-19-2023, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
I doubt that debates change many minds these days, if they did, Trudeau would never get elected. In fact many voters don't have a clue about platforms, they don't know, and they don't care.

Sad, but true.

A lot of votes get cast based solely on the persons looks.

I'm convinced it was housewives that put Zoolander in power then kept him there. It sure as heck wasn't his brains that attracted them!

https://theconversation.com/how-a-ca...sing-it-107364

https://wol.iza.org/articles/how-do-...n-chances/long
Old 05-19-2023, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleboy View Post
The crazy thing is. She was / is more moderate than any of her caucus and back benchers. This is not a party Alberta can afford to experiment with again .
As opposed to Smith, who is letting the lunatics run the asylum (Jason Kenney’s own words, by the way) as the party is completely divided among the far right Take Back Alberta separatist loonies and the actual traditional conservatives?

Notley keeps the Alberta NDP members at least toeing the line. Sure can’t say much the same about Smith. She inflames the party issues without question.

The UCP is a powder keg of staunch disagreement between members that are all just barely keeping the lid on how much they can’t stand each other.
Old 05-19-2023, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstubbs View Post
As opposed to Smith, who is letting the lunatics run the asylum (Jason Kenney’s own words, by the way) as the party is completely divided among the far right Take Back Alberta separatist loonies and the actual traditional conservatives?

Notley keeps the Alberta NDP members at least toeing the line. Sure can’t say much the same about Smith. She inflames the party issues without question.

The UCP is a powder keg of staunch disagreement between members that are all just barely keeping the lid on how much they can’t stand each other.
Wouldn't you rather have a party whose members are free to promote the ideas their constituents put forward, over a party who submits to the leader in all things? I'd rather my MP buck the party trend when he hears and interacts with his constituents, as opposed to having a say once every four years in an election. Remember, these people are supposed to be elected REPRESENTATIVES of the people that vote for them, not yes men/women for party leaders and non-elected people pulling strings behind the scenes. Politics is broken because of partisanship and toeing the party line (necessary in some things, not every thing).
Old 05-19-2023, 04:35 PM

Quote:
I think that statement is 100% correct. She has her finger on her entire party's pulse and makes sure they do as their told.

Like Thomas Dang, for instance...
Old 05-19-2023, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBintheNorth View Post
I think that statement is 100% correct. She has her finger on her entire party's pulse and makes sure they do as their told.

And the Notley NDP bows to Jagmeet as written in the NDP constitution. A vote for Notley is a vote for Jagmeet and that is who would be really running Alberta if Notley wins.
Old 05-19-2023, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
And the Notley NDP bows to Jagmeet as written in the NDP constitution. A vote for Notley is a vote for Jagmeet and that is who would be really running Alberta if Notley wins.
Yup there constitution makes them a cohesive unit which is good for party management honestly

But the NDP policies are negative both federal and provincial for my personal views so that’s no benefit to me personally
Old 05-19-2023, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
And the liberal/ndp coalition, makes a vote for Notley, a vote for Trudeau.
Old 05-19-2023, 06:04 PM

Quote:

Another is Janice Irwin --- Ms defund the police. Irwin really pushed defunding the police as a civic issue in Edmonton.

Irwin is the MLA for the riding our son is in. I have suggested that since that riding strongly supports her they should put up signs saying this area is a police free zone. The people in the area that voted for her must support this idiocy. It would free up response time to areas that are interested in having police.

Voting for people with these types of ideas should come with consequences.
Old 05-19-2023, 06:29 PM

I googled Irwin, god help us.
Old 05-19-2023, 06:42 PM

Mine keeps demanding a Somali curriculum be forced upon Alberta public schools to service the roughly 683 students province wide who identify as Somali. 🤦🏻

No word yet on how they plan to balance the Somali view on the NDP's beloved LGBwhatever+ community within said schools.
Old 05-19-2023, 06:48 PM

I'm not voting Notley but let's keep to facts, Notley openly dismissed the federal NDP leap manifesto, calling it naive, ill-considered, and tone deaf.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
Old 05-19-2023, 07:02 PM

If you have older children still living at home voting NDP cut them off and kick them out. At least warn them it will happen if the NDP wins.
Old 05-19-2023, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by millartech View Post
I'm not voting Notley but let's keep to facts, Notley openly dismissed the federal NDP leap manifesto, calling it naive, ill-considered, and tone deaf.

What she says she will do and what she is bound to do, are two different things.
And we've been through this before, so I'm not posting the NDP rules again. You can search the threads.
Old 05-19-2023, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Tollers View Post
Another is Janice Irwin --- Ms defund the police. Irwin really pushed defunding the police as a civic issue in Edmonton.

Irwin is the MLA for the riding our son is in. I have suggested that since that riding strongly supports her they should put up signs saying this area is a police free zone. The people in the area that voted for her must support this idiocy. It would free up response time to areas that are interested in having police.

Voting for people with these types of ideas should come with consequences.
It's hard to believe that people are actually clueless enough to vote for a nutcase like Irwin.
Old 05-19-2023, 08:24 PM

Quote:
What she says she will do and what she is bound to do, are two different things.

And we've been through this before, so I'm not posting the NDP rules again. You can search the threads.
You don't need to post them. I know them very well. Posting them doesn't change the fact she openly denounced the manifesto.

As for what she says she will do and what she actually does, that goes for every politician in every party. Smith already has a track record of saying things and not following through. It's politician 101.

They are all liars and criminals and aren't worthy of a vote. It's like trying to pick the smartest kid in the remedial class. Sad state of affairs the politicians we have provincially and federally. Bunch of sad sack useless leeches. Notley, Smith, Trudeau, Pollivierre, they all suck. Through ole mad Max into that group of sad sacks as well.

The picture attached best describes how I feel about the political atmosphere in our province and country.

Old 05-19-2023, 09:08 PM

Quote:
It's hard to believe that people are actually clueless enough to vote for a nutcase like Irwin.
No different then voting for some of the UCP nut bars like the one in the Lacombe riding.
Old 05-19-2023, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by densa44 View Post
The premier has promised 5, 75 bed locked mental health hospitals for Alberta. It will allow parents and police to forcibly institutionalize people against their will, for their own good!
This will put young people in a locked facility with very dangerous people who have severe mental illness.
The next issue which I don't think that they are aware of is, due to previous cuts we no longer train enough Canadians to provide medical and nursing staff
for these places. They will need to staff 5x75= 375 beds, a very large hospital spread out over 5 cities. The only English speaking countries where you maybe can get Doctors and nurses are in India or Africa. Psychiatry is best served by people who grew up in our society.
This is from a right wing party that used to support personal freedom.
Well for me this is a bridge too far.

YES, YES.... BUT free drugs and living in a tent city in front of your house is a great way to cure a self destructive lifestyle. Give it a break! What is next? Free Bud Light
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 05-19-2023, 09:50 PM

Quote:
You don't need to post them. I know them very well. Posting them doesn't change the fact she openly denounced the manifesto.

As for what she says she will do and what she actually does, that goes for every politician in every party. Smith already has a track record of saying things and not following through. It's politician 101.

They are all liars and criminals and aren't worthy of a vote. It's like trying to pick the smartest kid in the remedial class. Sad state of affairs the politicians we have provincially and federally. Bunch of sad sack useless leeches. Notley, Smith, Trudeau, Pollivierre, they all suck. Through ole mad Max into that group of sad sacks as well.

The picture attached best describes how I feel about the political atmosphere in our province and country.

You missed my point. She can't denounce the manifesto. It's in their bylaws. She is bound to "tow the line", and follow orders, as someone else pointed out.
Her saying she denounces it is nothing more than lip service.
Old 05-19-2023, 10:08 PM

Quote:

She can say whatever she likes, but as an ndp member she must follow the ndp bylaws , whether she agrees with them or not. It's mandatory, it's not optional.
Old 05-19-2023, 10:10 PM

Quote:
You missed my point. She can't denounce the manifesto. It's in their bylaws. She is bound to "tow the line", and follow orders, as someone else pointed out.

Her saying she denounces it is nothing more than lip service.
No, I got your point, just don't believe it to be correct. Maybe we will find out as I could see a NDP minority gov coming. She didn't follow it or tow the line last time so I doubt she would this time. She battled both Singh and Horgan in BC because she refused to tow the manifesto line.

Old 05-19-2023, 10:18 PM

Quote:
She can say whatever she likes, but as an ndp member she must follow the ndp bylaws , whether she agrees with them or not. It's mandatory, it's not optional.
She didn't follow it to a "t" last time, why would she this time?

Old 05-20-2023, 05:08 AM

Quote:

I will say it again I am sure the NDP will appreciate your vote.
Old 05-20-2023, 05:52 AM

Quote:
No, I got your point, just don't believe it to be correct. Maybe we will find out as I could see a NDP minority gov coming. She didn't follow it or tow the line last time so I doubt she would this time. She battled both Singh and Horgan in BC because she refused to tow the manifesto line.

She put on quite the act pretending to battle Horgan last time, and the truly gullible even believed that she supported Alberta oil and gas. The less gullible saw through her act, and it cost her the election.
Old 05-20-2023, 05:57 AM

Quote:
She put on quite the act pretending to battle Horgan last time, and the truly gullible even believed that she supported Alberta oil and gas. The less gullible saw through her act, and it cost her the election.
That is exactly how I seen that show play out
Closed Thread