Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 03-02-2008, 03:02 PM
bubbasno1

Got the same response from Jason Herasemluk Lethbridge East Candidate

Funny how I can not get a response from the candidates from Taber-Cardston-Warner or Livingstone-Macleod ridings as these are the two that 108 and 300 are in.

Bubba
Old 03-02-2008, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbasno1 View Post
Here is a posting from Greg Weadick

http://www.gregweadick.com/weblog/fi...se-open-spaces

Quote:
I believe that paying for hunting tags is not an acceptable method of raising money and I would not support any initiative that would introduce this method.

Sounds better to me than; "I'll look into it!"
Old 03-02-2008, 06:51 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 340wtby View Post
Your best bet would be to write the candidates yourself.
You know what 340...if I'm talking to you I'll direct my post at you...if not, maybe let me ask a question without your constant badgering. Someone said they had a letter and I was curious to see it...it was none of your business so please don't try and make it your business. K?

Thanks for the link bubba!

Last edited by sheephunter; 03-02-2008 at 07:52 PM.
Old 03-02-2008, 08:15 PM
340wtby

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
You know what 340...if I'm talking to you I'll direct my post at you...if not, maybe let me ask a question without your constant badgering. Someone said they had a letter and I was curious to see it...it was none of your business so please don't try and make it your business. K?

Thanks for the link bubba!
I thought you were talking to me due to the fact that you quoted my post....sheesh

And I thank you too bubbasno1, if it weren't for folks like you and lurch we might still be in the dark about this.
Old 03-02-2008, 08:59 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Here is a posting from Greg Weadick

http://www.gregweadick.com/weblog/fi...se-open-spaces
I wonder if he voiced this opinion the first time through cabinet?
Old 03-02-2008, 09:07 PM
SNIPER

Quote:
I wonder if he voiced this opinion the first time through cabinet?
I could answer that question, but, I think it is directed to Bubba. I don't want to get my head bitten off.
Old 03-02-2008, 09:08 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNIPER View Post
I could answer that question, but, I think it is directed to Bubba. I don't want to get my head bitten off.
Nope, please go ahead SNIPER....that was one of those general questions that I was just seeking info on.
Old 03-02-2008, 09:11 PM
SNIPER

Quote:
Nope, please go ahead SNIPER....that was one of those general questions that I was just seeking info on.
This is Greg's first run at the seat. He didn't have an opinion when it first went through cabinet, because he wouldn't have known about it.
Old 03-02-2008, 09:12 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNIPER View Post
This is Greg's first run at the seat. He didn't have an opinion when it first went through cabinet, because he wouldn't have known about it.
Well thanks...I did not know that.
Old 03-03-2008, 07:52 AM

Just had this sent to me from someone from Pincher Creek. It was in the Pincher Creek Echo

Pincher Creek Echo

By Jocelyn Mercer
Friday February 29, 2008

Ted Morton was in Pincher Creek on Feb. 11 to show support for local conservative candidate Evan Berger.
The minister for sustainable resource development took the opportunity to talk about his plans for developing hunting in the province.
Morton says that the number of hunters in Alberta has declined along with wildlife habitat and access to that habitat. He wants to reverse that trend by paying landowners to allow hunters on their land.
Around 85 per cent of land in south and central Alberta is owned by private landowners, says the politician, and that means that ranchers and farmers are footing the cost of conservation measures.
“So it’s no wonder you see a loss of habitat,” he said. “For the last 30 years (we’ve) left that cost of providing space for conservation to landowners.”

Morton says access has declined after landowners have gotten tired of the five to 10 per cent of hunters that leave gates open, and so have prohibited access to their lands.
To reverse this trend he’s proposing to sign landowners up to a new program that will see them getting paid for every ‘hunter day’ of access to their land. He suggested that stipend could be between $10 and $20 a day, depending on the amount of land and how good its wildlife habitat is.
“It’s at the design stage. The details haven’t been worked out yet,” he said.
Morton is also proposing to give hunting tags to landowners to sell privately.
He says having larger wildlife herds is expensive for them because it effects their farming operations.
If the landowners were able to make money by selling their hunting tags, Morton said it would be compensation for having larger ungulate populations.
“Make wildlife an asset rather than a liability,” said Morton.
Old 03-03-2008, 07:59 AM
Banned

Very interesting.

Morton himself is obviously not backing off, regardless of the heat he must be feeling.

That should set up a pretty interesting showdown within the Conservative ranks when this thing does go to caucus. Unfortunately, as others have suggested, it will be far more than OS that will actually be at stake for Conservative MLAs when the showdown occurs.

Getting as many candidates on record as possible against OS is really critical in my opinion.

I'll be pressuring my candidate for her official position this morning.

Waxy
Old 03-03-2008, 08:05 AM
340wtby

I do not support paid hunting in Alberta. Alberta wildlife is not for sale. The Premier has promised to bring this issue back to caucus prior to any decision. I hope to be there to support your position.
Thanks for your e-mail.
Greg

I just received this in an email for Greg Weadick, the PC candidate in my riding. The other PC candidate in Lethbridge has also shown opposition.

“Make wildlife an asset rather than a liability,” said Morton

Clearly someone isn't towing the company line.
Old 03-03-2008, 08:22 AM

Berger has adopted the same rhetoric as Jacobs.

As for the concept of the party line, the PC's are all about getting elected. Ted Morton obviously appeals to the far right and his involvement is to try deliver the rural vote. He often refers to Edmonton as the capital of Northern Alberta when he's flapping his gums in the South. He and Ed will play off of each other to garner as much support as possible. The PC's have had decades to redefine the elctoral boundries to create as much as an advantage as the rural Right can provide so bleeding that advantage to the far Right is their biggest concern this election.
Old 03-03-2008, 09:06 AM
chevy427

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waxy View Post
Very interesting.

Morton himself is obviously not backing off, regardless of the heat he must be feeling.

That should set up a pretty interesting showdown within the Conservative ranks when this thing does go to caucus. Unfortunately, as others have suggested, it will be far more than OS that will actually be at stake for Conservative MLAs when the showdown occurs.

Getting as many candidates on record as possible against OS is really critical in my opinion.

I'll be pressuring my candidate for her official position this morning.

Waxy
Very true Waxy - push your local MLA to state a position and vote accordingly boys and girls
Old 03-03-2008, 10:02 AM

Quote:
We have finally gotten a response from Premier Stelmach in regards to the Open Spaces pilot project.

He has committed to bring this back to caucus if they are re-elected.

I would encourage you to ask your local MLA what their position is on this proposal, and how they would approach it if it goes back to caucus.

More to come.

Bubba
Thanks for posting this Bubba, appreciate the updates. Ed must be working overtime during the election sending out a letter on a Saturday. :-)
Old 03-03-2008, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceba View Post
Just had this sent to me from someone from Pincher Creek. It was in the Pincher Creek Echo

Pincher Creek Echo

By Jocelyn Mercer
Friday February 29, 2008

Ted Morton was in Pincher Creek on Feb. 11 to show support for local conservative candidate Evan Berger.
The minister for sustainable resource development took the opportunity to talk about his plans for developing hunting in the province.
Morton says that the number of hunters in Alberta has declined along with wildlife habitat and access to that habitat. He wants to reverse that trend by paying landowners to allow hunters on their land.
Around 85 per cent of land in south and central Alberta is owned by private landowners, says the politician, and that means that ranchers and farmers are footing the cost of conservation measures.
“So it’s no wonder you see a loss of habitat,” he said. “For the last 30 years (we’ve) left that cost of providing space for conservation to landowners.”

Morton says access has declined after landowners have gotten tired of the five to 10 per cent of hunters that leave gates open, and so have prohibited access to their lands.
To reverse this trend he’s proposing to sign landowners up to a new program that will see them getting paid for every ‘hunter day’ of access to their land. He suggested that stipend could be between $10 and $20 a day, depending on the amount of land and how good its wildlife habitat is.
“It’s at the design stage. The details haven’t been worked out yet,” he said.
Morton is also proposing to give hunting tags to landowners to sell privately.
He says having larger wildlife herds is expensive for them because it effects their farming operations.
If the landowners were able to make money by selling their hunting tags, Morton said it would be compensation for having larger ungulate populations.
“Make wildlife an asset rather than a liability,” said Morton.
I'd have to pull out my land owner maps for the south, but that seems high to me. There is a lot of lease land in the southern part of Alberta, and it must count for a fairly high percentage as well. Perhaps his numbers are specifically regarding WMUs 108 and 300?
Old 03-03-2008, 10:54 PM

Well once the dust settles in the coming days the politicians will get back to work. It'll be interesting to see what becomes of OS as things get back to business again. One thing is for sure it isn't a time to take the foot off the gas.
Old 03-04-2008, 04:03 PM
Banned

Default Open Spaces Debacle

Hello all...

I had the opportunity to met Morton in the Black Diamond bakery last Friday and asked (attacked!!) him about the Open Spaces program... he responded that it would not go forward without first being vetted with the "hunting organizations" and that safeguards would be put in place to protect resident hunters (like the agricultural lease access process, he said)... In my interpretation, Morton et al will force this through for after all, with election results like we saw last night, who is going to stop them...

Oh, and please... No whiny comments about open spaces from those of you who voted for the continuation of the evil empire - you know who you are!!! You had your chance yesterday and instead will be lead to slaughter like the complacent sheep you are... In my view, you've forfeited your right to complain...

As they say, in Alberta, PC voters get the government they deserve... The rest of us will just have to suffer...

Is the revolution about to start? (rhetorical question - no need to respond)

Bahhhhh... Bahhhhh...

CaptHook
Old 03-04-2008, 04:48 PM

Here is a thought. As OS moves forward in one form or another it becomes apparent to me that what we need BEFORE OS is carved in stone is to have both a provincial and national hunting and fishing heritage act passed that protects our rights and abilities to hunt and fish as time moves on into the future.
Old 03-04-2008, 04:49 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duk Dog View Post
Here is a thought. As OS moves forward in one form or another it becomes apparent to me that what we need BEFORE OS is carved in stone is to have both a provincial and national hunting and fishing heritage act passed that protects our rights and abilities to hunt and fish as time moves on into the future.
That's something that Morton has been working dilligently on and I agree wholeheartedly that it's something we, as hunters, critically need.
Old 03-04-2008, 04:52 PM

Quote:
That's something that Morton has been working dilligently on and I agree wholeheartedly that it's something we, as hunters, critically need.
I knew it was a work in progress - too bad it isn't further along. If I were in a position where I was trying to ram in OS - I'd maybe get a meaty Hunting and Fishing Heritage Act with some teeth passed first. In political circles they might call that an olive branch.

Last edited by Duk Dog; 03-04-2008 at 05:17 PM.
Old 03-04-2008, 05:02 PM
sheephunter

Seems in some peoples' eyes that he can do no good though.....not sure some would see this important piece of legislation for what it is.
Old 03-04-2008, 05:10 PM
bubbasno1

Quote:
Seems in some peoples' eyes that he can do no good though.....not sure some would see this important piece of legislation for what it is.
Who brought this act forward? Where can I get information about it?

Bubba
Old 03-04-2008, 05:11 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Who brought this act forward? Where can I get information about it?

Bubba
Hmmm good question but Ted talked about it at conference...guess the best source of info would be the minister himself. Well the ex minister I guess...no one has a portfolio until Ed annouces his new cabinet.

Last edited by sheephunter; 03-04-2008 at 05:18 PM.
Old 03-04-2008, 05:16 PM

It is something that has been bantered around for a while here in Alberta. I'm a long time and current member of OFAH (Ontario Federation of Anglers & Hunters) and it is something they have been pushing for, for a few years now. I'm doing a bit of digging to see if it was ever passed or not.

Last edited by Duk Dog; 03-04-2008 at 05:22 PM.
Old 03-04-2008, 05:20 PM
Administrator

It's in Hansard.
Takes a bit of digging but it can be found.
Old 03-04-2008, 05:21 PM
bubbasno1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Miskosky View Post
It's in Hansard.
Takes a bit of digging but it can be found.
Thanks Rob. Now for us politicaly challenged folk what is this Hansard you speak of. Never mind found it. I am not as dumb as I look.

Bubba

Last edited by bubbasno1; 03-04-2008 at 05:23 PM. Reason: Found it
Old 03-04-2008, 05:25 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Thanks Rob. Now for us politicaly challenged folk what is this Hansard you speak of. Never mind found it. I am not as dumb as I look.

Bubba
http://www.assembly.ab.ca/net/index.aspx?p=adr_home
Old 03-04-2008, 05:31 PM
bubbasno1

Quote:
Thanks, does anyone know the exact name of the act.

Bubba
Old 03-04-2008, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Thanks, does anyone know the exact name of the act.

Bubba
Got me beat, I'm still searching.