Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

View Poll Results: What type of stillwater trout fishery would you prefer at your favourite lake?
C&R with the chance of catching trout up to 25" 112 42.75%
Limit of 1 under 18" with a good chance of fish over 22" 47 17.94%
Limit of 1 over 18" with a good chance of fish over 20" 38 14.50%
Limit of 3 any size with a good chance of fish over 16" 49 18.70%
Limit of 5 any size with a good chance of fish over 12" 16 6.11%
Voters: 262. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-07-2011, 06:05 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post

You only answered one part of the question.

Now that we know that you think that it is morally wrong to put perch into a lake why not tell everyone if you think that it is morally wrong to railroad a "quality" fishery on people. And why?

Guys like you have that typical city attitude. You think that you can just go out into the country and rape the locals because there's more of you than there is of them, right? Well, here's a news flash...............some of us are country folk.
Old 03-07-2011, 06:19 PM

Quote:
So you figure that those fears are miniscule? If you muscle your way into someones backyard do you actually think that they will just roll over and die? If what you impose on people is morally right then how can the fella that dumps a bunch of perch into the lake be morally wrong? Against the law......yes, but morally?
I had some respect for you because off your non-stop fight but this comment just eroded any of that. I bid good day to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speckle55 View Post
Just for info there has been only 1 Rainbow caught that was in the 20 lb range and it was from either a Big Lake or a Lake that had special amount of food conditions .. the other 3 rainbows came from that lake and were netted By David Donald Canadian Fisheries Biologist they were 4 when he netted and were from 20 lbs to 24 lbs in 1980 ps the Alberta record was 5 yrs old.. u can get his bio online.. so lets look at the lakes in question .. do you have the food source to get a rainbow to grow that big even if you have only that one fish in that lake.. is the growing season long enough .. meaning winter months don,t count unless you add a aerator .. and then you need to added something to add to the plankton and zoology to get them to grow bigger and more which will go all the way up food chain to your Rainbow meaning he will be on allmost steroids or growth hormones.. in those special conditions that is what has happen in the big River/Lakes i mention Diefenbaker /Kootenay.. the other place i name is like a fish farm >> East of Edson rv park .. and the Alberta Fish Hatchery.. even in those conditions it takes so many years to get BIG FISH .. and you are adding high amounts of food to get those.. are you getting the picture.. sorry to burst your bubble .. those lake(quality Lakes) you will fish good for the first few years then back to normal for that lakes food source .. unless you have a addition to that source .. the lake has only so much potencial you might have to put 10 fish in every 4 years and you will get no fish past 10 lbs as the growth rates can't be improved for that lake unless man interviens
Out to lunch comment: Firstly No where in this thread was anybody talking about 20 pound trout growing in our stocked ponds. 12 yes, 15 maybe but I wouldn't mind there is nothing better than a 12 pound rainbow on the line. It wouldn't happen often but you could bet one in 400 stocked could make it there with some regulation.

As for your comment on steroid or hormone exposed fish in Diefenbaker or Kootenay...WRONG! (At least that is what I mined out of that broken sentence pardon me if I interpreted that wrong.)

Kootenay rainbows are not stocked in Kootenay lake they are a natural strain.

Kootenay Lake, British Columbia, land of giants. Giant trout, that is – colossal rainbows, known as Gerrards, that weigh in at 5 times the normal size of Kamloops trout. The secret of their super-size: ideal spawning conditions on a short, gravelly stretch of the Lardeau River, a tributary of Kootenay Lake, and a rich, gourmet diet of Kootenay Lake kokanee salmon.

Diefenbaker rainbows were a fish farm escape but they would not have been exposed to any of the items you mentioned in the last 4 years.

Road hunting is not hunting.

Last edited by DuckBrat; 03-07-2011 at 06:32 PM.
Old 03-07-2011, 08:12 PM

Dave, how long have you been using your crossbow during the archery season? I guess you must have government permission for its use. What brand is the best?

Last edited by goldscud; 03-07-2011 at 08:30 PM.
Old 03-07-2011, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckBrat View Post
I had some respect for you because off your non-stop fight but this comment just eroded any of that. I bid good day to you.
X2. Anyone that advocates condoning putting perch in a stocked lake is not worth my time.

That is so below the code for a true outdoorsman. I don't mind his idle, mindless banter...saying the same thing over and over again. All you want is big fish...all you want is big fish. while funny was still so silly it was interesting to see how often he would say it in a thread. But to condone that maybe it is morally okay to do it...and uses an example that implies he feels for them arrogant vandals...makes me boil...

To go from fun trolling to potentially telling someone he supports or at least "understands" the behavior is chilling.

Can anyone else guess that the reason people put perch in stocked trout lakes is because the trout get fished out so fast they feel putting perch in gives them something to catch? You betcha. Improving the trout fishery to a point that it is worth fishing will help prevent that crap from happening again. Prevention is key...not morally justifying it. Sad...very sad poster indeed.
Old 03-07-2011, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
X2. Anyone that advocates condoning putting perch in a stocked lake is not worth my time.

That is so below the code for a true outdoorsman. I don't mind his idle, mindless banter...saying the same thing over and over again. All you want is big fish...all you want is big fish. while funny was still so silly it was interesting to see how often he would say it in a thread. But to condone that maybe it is morally okay to do it...and uses an example that implies he feels for them arrogant vandals...makes me boil...

To go from fun trolling to potentially telling someone he supports or at least "understands" the behavior is chilling.

Can anyone else guess that the reason people put perch in stocked trout lakes is because the trout get fished out so fast they feel putting perch in gives them something to catch? You betcha. Improving the trout fishery to a point that it is worth fishing will help prevent that crap from happening again. Prevention is key...not morally justifying it. Sad...very sad poster indeed.
is this what happened in lake sundance?
Old 03-07-2011, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tosh View Post
is this what happened in lake sundance?
Sadly Sundance is one of many lakes vandalized over the years in Alberta. Hopefully with education and discussion on forums like this...the ignorance will be overcome and damage will cease to be done.
Old 03-07-2011, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Sadly Sundance is one of many lakes vandalized over the years in Alberta. Hopefully with education and discussion on forums like this...the ignorance will be overcome and damage will cease to be done.

so it gets fished out so fast that somebody dumped a bucket of perch in there? dont you think it would have happened even sooner if you had special regulations on this lake that would allow people to keep fewer fish?....lets call it "quality fishery program" then the same people who couldnt get enuff fish out of lake sundance will be restricted in other lakes.....what do you think is gonna happen? my guess is the perch population will not go down.
Old 03-07-2011, 09:15 PM

Quote:
sundance are you not the cat that posts your successful perch outings at lake sundance on this and other forums? i'm a little confused. i know you're on a big "cull" mission to try to thin them out of the lake, but it seems to me you may enjoy perch fishing in your back yard. i could be wrong.
Old 03-07-2011, 09:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldscud View Post
Dave, how long have you been using your crossbow during the archery season? I guess you must have government permission for its use. What brand is the best?
Yup, I've used a Barnett Commando for about 15 years but I just bought an Excalibur Exomax. I figure that a recurve is a better choice over a compound. Why do you ask?
Old 03-07-2011, 09:22 PM

Default To clarify

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daceminnow View Post
sundance are you not the cat that posts your successful perch outings at lake sundance on this and other forums? i'm a little confused. i know you're on a big "cull" mission to try to thin them out of the lake, but it seems to me you may enjoy perch fishing in your back yard. i could be wrong.
I think I may be able to speak for Sundance here.

1. I'm not sure Sundance "enjoys" catching the perch much; it probably grew old after the 712 perch, and the removal program is up in the 100's of thousands.

2. Ask Sundance if he would rather choose between having perch and having no perch he would say "have no perch every day of the week and twice on Sunday."

Basically, Sundance posts his "escapades to (a) create awareness, (b) recruit volunteers, (c) and assistance in disposing perch. Its not a bragging thing, by any stretch of the imagination.

Hope that helps to clarify. Did I miss anything Sun?

Smitty
Old 03-07-2011, 09:42 PM
Banned

Quote:

What, do you sit down to take a pee too?

I guess that if I told you that I thought that there are gool ol redneck boys out in the country that'd, if they ever found out that you were the cause of ruining their best fishing spot, would grab you by the scruff of the neck and throw you into the lake you'd say that I was condoning that too.

Do you ever actually talk to anyone outside of your little circle? I don't think that you have any idea of what it's really like in the real world. Country folk are very protective of what they have and if a bunch of city boys come around claiming things for their own, you betcha someone's gonna be upset.

You might get away with bullying some people around but you sure as heck aren't going to bully me.........Sunny Boy! If you don't like my opinions or point of view then too bad! I call them as I see them and I'm not going to be politically correct for you or anyone else. If your feelings get hurt by that, also too bad.

Now as soon as you get your panties untied how about explaining if railroading "quality" lakes is or isn't moral and why. Or are you thinking that that big bold question at the top of the page is just going to disappear?
Old 03-07-2011, 09:44 PM

I was curious to know from a long time crossbow user if you thought you had less blown chances at deer? Did you hunt with a bow prior to your crossbow. I used to do a bit of archery hunting and there seemed to be lots of chances that slipped away for one reason or another. Maybe a crossbow is a better tool for short distance hunting.
Old 03-07-2011, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty9 View Post
I think I may be able to speak for Sundance here.

1. I'm not sure Sundance "enjoys" catching the perch much; it probably grew old after the 712 perch, and the removal program is up in the 100's of thousands.

2. Ask Sundance if he would rather choose between having perch and having no perch he would say "have no perch every day of the week and twice on Sunday."

Basically, Sundance posts his "escapades to (a) create awareness, (b) recruit volunteers, (c) and assistance in disposing perch. Its not a bragging thing, by any stretch of the imagination.

Hope that helps to clarify. Did I miss anything Sun?

Smitty
Thanks Smitty...

Unfortunately...once perch are introduced...the trout fishery is ruined without drastic action like rotenone (product derived from a bean plant root that kill fish but as it is organic dissipates quickly) which has envirophobia associated with it.

Rather than see our lake become a total loss I have put hundreds of hours of my own volunteer time in educating about illegal perch introduction destruction and trying to help generate a process to try and manage them. So far we have removed via netting and fishing over 60,000 perch. The question now is what level of effort is that and is it making a difference. Hard to tell so far...but it seems to me we have dropped the numbers. As I have a biology background...I am trying with my limited time to keep track of enough data to provide F&W and hopefully aid in the insights and effort needed to make a difference elsewhere in the Province.

I love fishing...I love catching perch...I just don't love them in a stocked trout lake. I happily encourage perch fishing as it is necessary part of the education to help with their removal. Our only other option is do nothing...which would be a shame as our trout fishing can be very fun.

We used to stock 12 inchers and they would grow to 16 inches and rarely over 20 inches but our fishing pressure was not high but perch also ate the lake out of food resources. This past year we put in some large trout around 10 lbs hoping they would eat the smaller perch. Well...all of a sudden we had an explosion of new anglers at the lake...fishing pressure increased dramatically...people were hooking the 10lbers and screaming like school kids. Kids were catching them from shore and freaking the fish were so big. Most people released the monsters so there are still some there. But it did get me thinking...if only the perch were not there. I know our scud population was high enough we could of grown some 10 lbers naturally. Unfortunately that is not in the cards due to the perch now.

As for outings...I know people like fishing...perch are good eating...and I have met a ton of fine folks from AOF. I have no qualms about getting people out eating perch. It is a win / win and yes...I usually outfished everyone for perch...but now...some dam fine perchers are slaying them way better than me. I just hope they keep up the good work and teach others... If we slay enough...the remaining perch each year can grow fast and the trout can grow hopefully a bit also.

Cheers

Sun
Old 03-07-2011, 09:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldscud View Post
I was curious to know from a long time crossbow user if you thought you had less blown chances at deer? Did you hunt with a bow prior to your crossbow. I used to do a bit of archery hunting and there seemed to be lots of chances that slipped away for one reason or another. Maybe a crossbow is a better tool for short distance hunting.
Yeah, I used to hunt with a compound bow before blowing out my shoulder. The only advantage that I think that there is is that a crossbow is already drawn and you have to draw a bow. Then again you already have a bow in shooting position whereas you have to bring your crossbow up to your shoulder. I will say that a crossbow is a little easier but not quite the advantage that some people might imagine it.

There's been lots discussed about this on the hunting thread and the fishing thread isn't the right place to discuss it.
Old 03-07-2011, 09:57 PM

DuckBrat .. thank you for your responce .. those statements were in general on growth rates .. if you know anything about Kootenay lake u will have read about the goverment seeding the lake the last few years to keep the Plankton healthy (plant shut down).. the science is that city sewer helps the growth of fish with the creation of bacteria which goes up the food chain.. Bow River.. with the eacape of rainbows in a BIG Lake with LOTS of feed streams and sloughs adding to the feed for Plankton.. Farmers adding chemicals to land to boost growing.. and surounding area Diefenbaker Lake.. and u check out the common factor .. its a man induced factor.. if you look at the 1 st Lake in THe Valley of Five in Jasper where these 20 + rainbow grew .. study done by David Donald it was food..if you ask the fish Hatchery if they have any 20 lbrs .. so some foods will make small FISH TURN BIG FAST.. will growth hormones and food make a feed lot 600lb steer into a 1000lb steer or more in afew weeks to months.. By the way next time you post tell me what chemical is thought to be the common factor to help with growth rates thanks
Old 03-07-2011, 10:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
You only answered one part of the question.

Now that we know that you think that it is morally wrong to put perch into a lake why not tell everyone if you think that it is morally wrong to railroad a "quality" fishery on people. And why?
Sundance.......
Old 03-07-2011, 10:38 PM

HunterDave do you know these guys .. please get them to type in google Plant shut down on Kootenay lake affecting fishing then go to Fly Fish BC post and read bioligy 101 further down page .. hopefully they will go and say.. ooohhh.. i did not know that.. why do i keep teaching the art of any kind of fishing and why am i open to learn new stuff .. i don,t know alot but what i do know i will help u shorten the learning curve .. some Biologist"s and older angler"s taught me.. History/Potencial

Last edited by Speckle55; 03-07-2011 at 10:49 PM.
Old 03-07-2011, 11:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speckle55 View Post
HunterDave do you know these guys .. please get them to type in google Plant shut down on Kootenay lake affecting fishing then go to Fly Fish BC post and read bioligy 101 further down page .. hopefully they will go and say.. ooohhh.. i did not know that.. why do i keep teaching the art of any kind of fishing and why am i open to learn new stuff .. i don,t know alot but what i do know i will help u shorten the learning curve .. some Biologist"s and older angler"s taught me.. History/Potencial
No, I don't know any of these guys. One is down in Calgary and claims that he was a biologist. Another fella was involved in helping to create the "quality" lake at Muir Lake. These fellas already know everything about everything so I wish you luck. "Quality" lakes are the only thing that'll work for them, no two ways about it.

If you want to understand where they're coming from you have to do a google search of FLIPPR in the Parklands in Manitoba. As best as I can tell that's what their dream is for Alberta. The only problem is that this is Alberta and that is Manitoba.

Bringing logic into it just disrupts their happy place.
Old 03-08-2011, 12:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
Sundance only answered one part of the question.

I guess this is one of those times where it's better to keep your mouth shut and have people think that you are dopey rather than open it up and remove all doubt.

Any act that is immoral is simply immoral and it can't be rationalized that one act is any more or any less immoral than the other.
Old 03-08-2011, 04:26 PM

Quote:

If you want to understand where they're coming from you have to do a google search of FLIPPR in the Parklands in Manitoba. As best as I can tell that's what their dream is for Alberta. The only problem is that this is Alberta and that is Manitoba.

Bringing logic into it just disrupts their happy place.
Well, actually, the only problem is they (the people behind the move towards quality trout fisheries in Manitoba: FLIPPR) seem to have all of the common sense and we (Albertan's) seem, ironically, to have a lot of uncommon sense and think that our put and take fisheries are "good enough".

HunterDave takes uncommon sense to an even more ridiculous level and believes that quality means "easier" but not "better." By his uncommon sense rationale, the North Saskatchewan river is a "better" place to go fishing for trout than the Bow because the Bow has so many big fish, it's just too easy to catch them. Who wants that? Too easy! Now the NSR, that's a fabulous trout fishery!!!

I'll agree with HunterDave as far as I believe putting big fish back is key, as is educating people on doing similarly; however, we have a fundamental difference in what we deem as good fishing. We also seem to have a fundamental, and irreconcilable difference in that he doesn't give a fiddler's fart whether any other fishermen in the province can catch a decent fish, as long as his precious lakes aren't affected and he still catches the odd big fish. I see it very differently.

Good fishing, to me, is having a good chance to catch one or more fish over 20" in a day of fishing, with the possibility of catching something really big. Some days you might get skunked, but most days, you do ok and catch an honest to goodness 20" along with a few smaller ones. There are very few accessible lakes in Alberta where this is possible. We want more of them, and we want the ones that are currently in place to be managed better.

That's it. Call it easier if you want to, I really don't care anymore. Call the Bow easier fishing if you want as well. The more crazy things you say, the less credibility you have, which we are now somewhere in the red. HunterDave has nattered on so long about it and gone in so many circles and contradicted his own contradictions so many times that all I hear is blah, blah, blah.

Look at the results of this poll. A lot of people see the benefits of a quality fishery and very few don't. If you can look at the FLIPPR site and are still not convinced that this would be great if we could pull it off in Alberta, then there is really no sense in reasoning with you because all sense and reason is already lost.

Cheers.
Old 03-08-2011, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtoad View Post
Well, actually, the only problem is they (the people behind the move towards quality trout fisheries in Manitoba: FLIPPR) seem to have all of the common sense and we (Albertan's) seem, ironically, to have a lot of uncommon sense and think that our put and take fisheries are "good enough".

HunterDave takes uncommon sense to an even more ridiculous level and believes that quality means "easier" but not "better." By his uncommon sense rationale, the North Saskatchewan river is a "better" place to go fishing for trout than the Bow because the Bow has so many big fish, it's just too easy to catch them. Who wants that? Too easy! Now the NSR, that's a fabulous trout fishery!!!

I'll agree with HunterDave as far as I believe putting big fish back is key, as is educating people on doing similarly; however, we have a fundamental difference in what we deem as good fishing. We also seem to have a fundamental, and irreconcilable difference in that he doesn't give a fiddler's fart whether any other fishermen in the province can catch a decent fish, as long as his precious lakes aren't affected and he still catches the odd big fish. I see it very differently.

Good fishing, to me, is having a good chance to catch one or more fish over 20" in a day of fishing, with the possibility of catching something really big. Some days you might get skunked, but most days, you do ok and catch an honest to goodness 20" along with a few smaller ones. There are very few accessible lakes in Alberta where this is possible. We want more of them, and we want the ones that are currently in place to be managed better.

That's it. Call it easier if you want to, I really don't care anymore. Call the Bow easier fishing if you want as well. The more crazy things you say, the less credibility you have, which we are now somewhere in the red. HunterDave has nattered on so long about it and gone in so many circles and contradicted his own contradictions so many times that all I hear is blah, blah, blah.

Look at the results of this poll. A lot of people see the benefits of a quality fishery and very few don't. If you can look at the FLIPPR site and are still not convinced that this would be great if we could pull it off in Alberta, then there is really no sense in reasoning with you because all sense and reason is already lost.

Cheers.
Amen!!
Old 03-08-2011, 07:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAPFisher View Post
Amen!!
"There's no big fish in here!"
"Yeah, what he said!"
Old 03-08-2011, 08:13 PM

Quote:
"There's no big fish in here!"
"Yeah, what he said!"
Sorry, all I hear is "blah, blah, blah."
Old 03-08-2011, 08:28 PM

Quote:

Cheers.
If you think the 95 people who voted for c and r with chance of a trout of 25''
is a clear understanding of what the majority of albertans with fishing lisences want then you really do live in your own little world....maybe sun is there with you?. You seem to be more focused about what you want that you dont care about anybody else..

And i guess what, i dont care if you or anybody else catches big fish either. We all know they are in there and if you are not a good enough fisherman to get it done then too bad, maybe you should go to one of our fabulous put and take lakes we have in alberta.

I also disagree with your statement on the bow river......its super easy to catch a fish in the bow. You might not catch any big ones because as you have previously stated you arent really that good at fishing. maybe if you spend a little more time and effort into fishing you might acually catch one!!! and then you could be proud of what you caught, and you will know its because you deserve it, not because it was given to you by someone else.
Old 03-08-2011, 09:08 PM
Banned

Quote:

Cheers.
I've heard more BS on this thread from "quality" fishery proponents that it's absolutely ridiculous. Some posters are saying that there is no good fishing anywhere near Calgary and then another poster from Calgary states that he feel sorry for people in Edmonton because he catches so many big fish in Calgary. Then another poster from Edmonton says that he feels that all the lakes here are dead. I live in the Edmonton area and I think that the fishing in the lakes around here is great. One guy even went to far as to state that he had to drive 5 hours to get to a lake that has big fish in it. Where the heck does he live on the moon! Someone is lying here OR some people are simply not very good at fishing.

Coincidentally, the same people that say that there are no big fish anywhere are the same people that want more "quality" fisheries. They're either ignorant that there are big fish in our lakes or it doesn't fit with their agenda.

Yeah, you're darned right "quality" fisheries make it easier to catch big fish, that's what they are designed for. Lazy anglers that don't want to make the effort that it takes to catch a bigger fish. If "better" sounds nicer than "easier" then by all means use it............but that won't change what it is.

Fundamentally, we both have relatively the same idea of what we consider good fishing, that is not the issue. The issue is about how we each want to achieve that success. I want to achieve that goal through hard work and effort while you want to guarantee good fishing for yourself by creating an environment that will make it better (easy ) for you.

For sure I don't give a fiddler's patooie about lazy anglers. If someone wants to make an effort then I'll help them any way that I can. If I drive by the Morinville Rez and stop in to chat with a couple of fellas fishing I'll tell them where to drill their hole for better success. Most of the time fellas are just happy to stay where they are and fish for the enjoyment of it. Or, maybe they are just too lazy to walk the 200 m to the other side of the lake to get to where the fish are?

Last edited by HunterDave; 03-08-2011 at 09:16 PM.
Old 03-08-2011, 09:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Sorry, all I hear is "blah, blah, blah."
Isn't putting your fingers in your ears and going "La...La....La." the adult way to do it.
Old 03-08-2011, 09:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tosh View Post
If you think the 95 people who voted for c and r with chance of a trout of 25''
is a clear understanding of what the majority of albertans with fishing lisences want then you really do live in your own little world....maybe sun is there with you?. You seem to be more focused about what you want that you dont care about anybody else..

And i guess what, i dont care if you or anybody else catches big fish either. We all know they are in there and if you are not a good enough fisherman to get it done then too bad, maybe you should go to one of our fabulous put and take lakes we have in alberta.

I also disagree with your statement on the bow river......its super easy to catch a fish in the bow. You might not catch any big ones because as you have previously stated you arent really that good at fishing. maybe if you spend a little more time and effort into fishing you might acually catch one!!! and then you could be proud of what you caught, and you will know its because you deserve it, not because it was given to you by someone else.
Hey Tosh! Are you peeking at my notes?
Old 03-08-2011, 09:30 PM

Quote:
You two want a moment alone?

P.S. Resistance is futile
Old 03-08-2011, 09:32 PM

Quote:

hahahaha......
Old 03-08-2011, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAPFisher View Post
You two want a moment alone?

P.S. Resistance is futile
shouldnt you and the rest of your buddies be watching the teen mom right now like my wife is doing?