Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-16-2016, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billmurray View Post
maybe it was one of my childhood friends. He used to argue that the 303 was a lot better round than the 7mmRM and 300WM.
Every round ever produced is on a multi axis sliding scale. Such axis include: ballistics, recoil, bullet selection, cost, availability, panache ect. .303 scores higher then the magnums in a few areas, but is certainly weaker in the ballistics department.

I maintain that no cartridge is better than one another, just they are all better at different things. Unless you are talking about the .300 H&H as it is clearly superior to the .300 WM
Old 01-16-2016, 09:14 PM

Quote:
True.

Also wasn't the first or last time someone has gotten offended when I didn't praise the 303.
Personally speaking I love the .303 and would not trade one for a 300 mag !!
Cat
Old 01-16-2016, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Personally speaking I love the .303 and would not trade one for a 300 mag !!
Cat
Cat

What is it about the 303 that you like? I have several but profess that I do not know the ballistics and how they compare accuracy wise with say hand loads and comparable rifles and the like.

Thanks

PS - If this is a derail, can you start a thread on the merits of the 303?
Old 01-16-2016, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMichaud View Post
Cat

What is it about the 303 that you like? I have several but profess that I do not know the ballistics and how they compare accuracy wise with say hand loads and comparable rifles and the like.

Thanks

PS - If this is a derail, can you start a thread on the merits of the 303?
Mild recoil good bullet selection, classic rimmed cartridge, and in a decent rifle they can be made very accurate- what's not to like!
Cat
Old 01-16-2016, 11:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
Hopefully they kept a straight face and steered him to the Zombie Max ammo.
Worst part is the guy behind the counter was all over it to saying the 10/22 is the perfect gun for that. Will never shop there again.
Old 01-17-2016, 09:04 AM

I was at bass pro in Calgary a 2 years ago and was told by the guy behind the counter "that Winchester lever action rifles in 357 mag or 44mag were illegal and could not be sold in Canada" so I told him that I just returned from a trip to Whitehorse Yukon and they had them at the gun store there then him told me that was " because Whitehorse was not part of Canada " so I did what any reasonable person would do I turn around and walked out and have never bought anything there sence
Old 01-26-2016, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillyak View Post
Lots of stories from when I worked a counter, but I have one I was thinking about the other night when a friend was talking about bore sighting.

Had a fellow come into the store to buy a rifle and scope for a guided northern BC moose hunt. He was super excited for the hunt and it was all he could talk about, which is fine by me because it's always nice to hear people be enthusiastic about hunting. I forget the exact rifle he bought, I believe it was a Win model 70 in 300 Win Mag with a Leupold VX-3. Not crazy high end, but a good combo certainly suitable for such a hunt and it would serve him well for decades. After ringing it through and doing the registration (this was in the days of the registry) I mounted the scope for him at the counter while he continued to talk about his guided moose hunt. While I was bore sighting the rifle he said "make sure you take your time doing that! I don't think I'll have time to sight it in at the range before I leave for my hunt."

My jaw pretty much dropped wondering how a guy can spend thousands on a hunt, $1500 on a rifle for the hunt, and can't find a few hours to go to the range to sight it in. Before he left I convinced him he MUST find the time.
You're right about the rifle and scope. And he didn't have time for the range as he was leaving very early the following morning.
Old 01-26-2016, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowtown guy View Post
You're right about the rifle and scope. And he didn't have time for the range as he was leaving very early the following morning.
That sounds like a case of extremely poor planning. There is no way that I would leave on a big game hunt with a totally unproven rifle/scope.
Old 01-26-2016, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg View Post
Had another guy come int the other day looking for a 1000yd package for hunting and target shooting, but wanted to keep his budget under $500 including opticks.
That one made me laugh out loud......

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 01-26-2016, 01:17 PM
Banned

I can only imagine the amount of restraint that a fellow like Cowtown guy must display to not burst out laughing or zip his lips at the comments and tall tales that he endures daily. Heck, even myself being an innocent by-standing customer awaiting to be served, I hear plenty. But then on the other hand (and certainly not refering to Cowtown guy) there is a lot of BS and even downright lies often perpetrated from the "other" side of the counter. It can be entertaining at times.
Old 01-26-2016, 01:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg View Post
Had another guy come int the other day looking for a 1000yd package for hunting and target shooting, but wanted to keep his budget under $500 including opticks.

the only limit is your imagination
Old 01-26-2016, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitrdun View Post
I can only imagine the amount of restraint that a fellow like Cowtown guy must display to not burst out laughing or zip his lips at the comments and tall tales that he endures daily. Heck, even myself being an innocent by-standing customer awaiting to be served, I hear plenty. But then on the other hand (and certainly not refering to Cowtown guy) there is a lot of BS and even downright lies often perpetrated from the "other" side of the counter. It can be entertaining at times.
Sometimes it is so entertaining, that I actually enjoy waiting in line for a few minutes.
Old 01-27-2016, 01:07 PM

I listened to a fella the other day explaining how Winchester changed the model 94 from a bolt action rifle to a lever action rifle in 1964... he said the "old Pre-64 bolt action 94's" were much better than the "newer Post-64 lever action 94's."

Another case of a little information being dangerous.
Old 01-27-2016, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
That sounds like the idiot warden on North Woods Law talking about arrows.
Haha I seen that. What an idiot
Old 01-27-2016, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoytcanon View Post
I listened to a fella the other day explaining how Winchester changed the model 94 from a bolt action rifle to a lever action rifle in 1964... he said the "old Pre-64 bolt action 94's" were much better than the "newer Post-64 lever action 94's."

Another case of a little information being dangerous.
Wow.....I had to read that slow a couple times to wrap my head around it. Got to keep a look out for one of those pre 64 bolt action 94s....probably worth a lot of money. In the meantime, I guess I'll keep my model 70.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 01-28-2016, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish_e_o View Post

the only limit is your imagination
Archer Quote? Nice.
Old 01-28-2016, 11:07 AM

Helped a buddy run his table at the lloyd gunshow and had a few er uhhmm "new canadians" show up to the table and these are some of the things they said.
Kid. Picks up a cooey 22 and says. "This ones little so i dont need a licence right?" i explained licencing to him and he nodded and said. "So this gun is for turkeys?"...

The next guy is looking at an old pump shotgun. Him and his buddy start arguing in some foreign language and the only word i can pick out is "magazine". He finaly looks to me and asks "where do the bullets go? Hes lucky i was in a good mood. I breifly showed them how a pump shotgun works and informed them that if they wanted to know more to sign up for the firearms course. They all nodded and the guy from the first interaction looks at the shotgun im holding and says " that barrel is huge is that a 50 cal!?"

For my coyote pics @trophy_country_coyotes on instagram

life's too short to fish nymphs
Old 01-28-2016, 11:15 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by openfire View Post
Archer Quote? Nice.
pew! pew!
Old 01-28-2016, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikka250 View Post
Helped a buddy run his table at the lloyd gunshow and had a few er uhhmm "new canadians" show up to the table and these are some of the things they said.
Kid. Picks up a cooey 22 and says. "This ones little so i dont need a licence right?" i explained licencing to him and he nodded and said. "So this gun is for turkeys?"...

The next guy is looking at an old pump shotgun. Him and his buddy start arguing in some foreign language and the only word i can pick out is "magazine". He finaly looks to me and asks "where do the bullets go? Hes lucky i was in a good mood. I breifly showed them how a pump shotgun works and informed them that if they wanted to know more to sign up for the firearms course. They all nodded and the guy from the first interaction looks at the shotgun im holding and says " that barrel is huge is that a 50 cal!?"
Unfortunately, the PAL course won't likely be adequate to make someone that clueless understand firearms.
Old 01-28-2016, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Unfortunately, the PAL course won't likely be adequate to make someone that clueless understand firearms.
One can only hope that the instructor would realize they need a bit more in depth guidance. Or that they lose interest and move on to something else, like knitting.
Old 01-28-2016, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
Wow.....I had to read that slow a couple times to wrap my head around it. Got to keep a look out for one of those pre 64 bolt action 94s....probably worth a lot of money. In the meantime, I guess I'll keep my model 70.
Yes but is your model 70 a pre '64 lever action???
Old 01-28-2016, 10:23 PM

Default 710

Seller to a Customer:
The Remington 710 is use by the US Marine Corp Sniper Team.
Old 01-28-2016, 10:37 PM

Seen a good one on CGN today. Guy was looking for a left handed timney trigger for his rem 700!
Old 01-28-2016, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coxy95 View Post
Seen a good one on CGN today. Guy was looking for a left handed timney trigger for his rem 700!
Do you mean like this?

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/...n-700-actions/

Quote:
Timney Introduces Triggers for Left-Hand Remington 700 Actions

Timney left Rem 700 triggerTimney Mfg. now sells triggers for left-hand Remington m700 rifles. There is both a standard lefty model (#502) and a safety-equipped lefty model (#511). The model #502 uses the existing safety and bolt stop in your gun, while the model #511 has an external safety on the left side of the trigger housing. Both these left-hand triggers require no gunsmithing, are fully-adjustable, and can be ordered with default pull weights ranging from 1.5 pounds to 4.0 pounds.
Old 01-28-2016, 10:46 PM

Looks like I'm the one getting laughed at! Never even crossed my mind it would be for a left handed rifle!
Old 02-02-2016, 04:28 PM

Default CCI doesn't make Blazer ammo....

Well known sports store in Calgary...gun counter....Employee that I have seen there for a while now...

Me: "Hi, looking for 22 ammo, anything available from CCI?"
Employee of said store: "No"
Me: "Oh wait, I just noticed you have a bunch of Blazer 22 ammo, I will take that."
Employee: "CCI doesn't make those"
Me: Asked to see a box of blazer ammo, pull one out and show employee the "C" stamped on the casing, same as all the other CCI ammo.
Employee: no comment at all, hahaha
Old 02-10-2016, 10:08 AM

Stopped at a rather decent place to check on powder and bullets for reloading and heard the sales guy spewing about how good the NDP are. Was laughing at him when he said that a 7 rem mag is good for close up and won't keep going once it hits. He also told him that the shot would go through the trees in the way if there were any.

All it takes is for one man to misinterpret something and he can start a war that lasts for decades.
Anonymous
Old 02-10-2016, 01:22 PM

Wholesale sports last week. North end. I was looking for a .308 and asked what he had. Young guy told me to buy a sako because there the best..... then proceeds to tell me the only other good guns come from Italy. ... I asked him about Kriegoff shotguns or Sauer, Cooper, Montana, cz etc.he said he hadn't heard of them so they must not be good. I just thanked him for his time and walked away. Gotta love a sales kid with wet ink on his pal.
Old 02-23-2016, 11:23 AM

Yesterday at Cabelas looking for a scope.

Counted guy: This scope has a 30mm tube so it has unlimited windage and elevation adjustment.
Me: Unlimited, really??
Counter guy: Yes, unlimited

SO I bough it, may come in handy if I ever have to shoot sideways

Then asks if I need rings .... without asking what kind of rifle or any information from me he says "The scope has a 50mm objective lens so you need a minimum of extra high .... here, these are what you need" and he hands me a set of 1" rings for my 30mm scope LOL.

Gotta wonder how many people walk out of there with the wrong stuff
Old 02-23-2016, 11:44 AM

Maybe he thought 1" rings means 1" high, because that's half of the 50mm objective lens. That's some good figurin' right there.