Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-09-2012, 08:56 AM

Default Trail Cams

Don't see em, don't look for em, don't mind them. There are none on the land we hunt I think lol.
Old 01-09-2012, 09:06 AM

I've never used a trailcam but have no concerns about the ethics of using them as a hunting tool. Go right ahead. I DO think that when I'm on public land I should be free from being photographed. It's only a matter of time before PETA starts using them to "out" "evil hunters". Heck, the government could use them to monitor major trails, etc.

So I'm wondering...At what point is a trail cam left on public land considered legally abandoned? We've talked about stands on public land. Would cameras be different?
Old 01-09-2012, 09:26 AM
grind stone

The companys that make these trail cams should put some kind of chip in the unit so if it gets ripped off one could track it just thinking out loud
i have never run into a trail cam Dont use them i dont have a problem either way.
Old 01-09-2012, 10:19 AM

I like them (I have some) and don't mind seeing them around! I think they add to the hunting exp for me and allow me to extend my "hunting season" to 365 days. I find it just as exciting to catch a monster animal on the camera as hunting one at times. Nothing like watching an animal grow over the years and studying their behaviour something you can't do just from purely scouting.

I see no problem with them on public land either. They are moveable and not permanent so no worries. There are lots of things that could be considered "abandoned" on public land salt blocks, cattle oilers, water systems, etc. I wouldn't take or return those items to their owners either.

For the life of me I can't understand why another hunter would steal from another hunter but I guess after reading several threads on this topic it occurs on a regular basis and there are several pers on here that think that it's the owners fault.
Kind of sad.
Old 01-09-2012, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIKON View Post
Too funny....The odds of that.......

But you never know

Nikon
my buddy took a leak right in front of one never knew it was there,about a week later we were talking to a couple guys we met out hunting,and got quite the laugh when they told us about the surprise they got when checking their pics
Old 01-24-2012, 07:42 PM

Default trail cams

trail cams are no different then photo radar or stop light cams or scale cams/security cams these are all in public places. so trail cams on public land are no different just my thought on the subject
Old 01-24-2012, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joker2010 View Post
trail cams are no different then photo radar or stop light cams or scale cams/security cams these are all in public places. so trail cams on public land are no different just my thought on the subject
yup, the main purpose of trail cams are the same as traffic cams, trying to catch the innocent doing something illegal. some people....
Old 01-24-2012, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joker2010 View Post
There is something in the water in st. isididore..
Old 01-24-2012, 08:56 PM

If they are on public land, I could care less. If they are on private property that I hunt, I will report them to the landowner who I know will investigate. If the camera does not belong to one of the select few people with permission, the landowner will make it go away, because he has no tolerance for trespassers.