Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 03-22-2022, 04:50 PM

Should include actual shooting of a firearm. I don't think a young first time hunter/shooter should use anything other that a single shot gun for the first few months.Or at least one loaded with only one round.
Old 03-22-2022, 05:21 PM

It seems to me that we have watched this merry-go round a few times before and no doubt ,it will keep on rotating - endlessly.
Trying to appease those that object to what we do is futile .They can label it what they want, as long as they want. The more we respond to thier criticism, the more we can expect. I don't beleive they warrant any effort on our part at all to change the label on any activity that doesn't affect them. For some reason, some want to accept thier erroneous position and will change darn near anything in an attempt keep them happy. We all know the end-game ther'e playing at, so why join 'em? Keep on Keeping on and keep trying try to improve our own game, as best we can - as we see it.

Last edited by Salavee; 03-22-2022 at 05:32 PM.
Old 03-23-2022, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
Should include actual shooting of a firearm. I don't think a young first time hunter/shooter should use anything other that a single shot gun for the first few months.Or at least one loaded with only one round.

We have a hands on field day where the students get to try archery, 22, shotgun and pistols. Its a long day with lots of volunteers but it is the highlight of the course for everyone.
Old 03-23-2022, 08:03 AM

Great thread by the OP.
I also teach Hunters Education and it definitely can use some new thoughts and ideas to spice it up a little for the current society of people getting into hunting. I really hammer home the survival stuff, since so many people seem to not understand the importance of what to do when quads stop working or they lose cell service and their battery dies.
Bird ID is an important one as well, I have reached out to Ducks Unlimited on several occasions and they have sent a bunch of waterfowl id posters and pamplets that I hand out to the students.
Old 03-23-2022, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salavee View Post
It seems to me that we have watched this merry-go round a few times before and no doubt ,it will keep on rotating - endlessly.
Trying to appease those that object to what we do is futile .They can label it what they want, as long as they want. The more we respond to thier criticism, the more we can expect. I don't beleive they warrant any effort on our part at all to change the label on any activity that doesn't affect them. For some reason, some want to accept thier erroneous position and will change darn near anything in an attempt keep them happy. We all know the end-game ther'e playing at, so why join 'em? Keep on Keeping on and keep trying try to improve our own game, as best we can - as we see it.
I can agree with most of this, we talk a little about social media and how each of them have an impact if they post something that could be deemed "distasteful". Trying to balance that with pride in hunting is the challenging part. I believe the only way to ensure a future of hunting and shooting is outreach, locally we are looking into hosting several open house type events with the end goal being firearms awareness and hopefully more members in the firearms community.
Old 03-23-2022, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by getatmewolf View Post
We have a hands on field day where the students get to try archery, 22, shotgun and pistols. Its a long day with lots of volunteers but it is the highlight of the course for everyone.
Excellent!!
Old 03-23-2022, 09:18 PM

That's great, the more hands-on the better.
Field dressing can be intimidating.
And understanding the regs and draws too.
Sounds like you're on the right track, where do you do this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by getatmewolf View Post
Thanks guys, the course has always been focused on safety and ethics. We spend a full day (3 hours) going over legal and ethics with the local fish and wildlife officer to answer all the “what about” questions. I also offer to help out with draw entries personally when they have to enter them a month or so after the course ends. We have a field day as well where they get to try archery, 22s, shotgun, pistols and orienteering/fire making. Might even get to watch me gut a stinky road killed deer if the F&W can find one in good condition. 🤮
Thanks for all the responses so far.
Old 03-24-2022, 05:10 AM

Touch on respectful ethics towards other hunters, the areas we hunt and the game we hunt
Old 03-24-2022, 05:54 AM

Landowner relations and it's affect on hunting when done badly.

Respect in the field for other hunters, for non hunters & so on.

The use of field glasses vs scoping. I've been scoped & I know what it feels like.

Helping new hunters understand that wether they kill or not to enjoy the adventure.

One we see too often is booze & hunting mixed. Sure in camp at night but not while hunting.
Old 03-30-2022, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phased1 View Post
That's great, the more hands-on the better.
Field dressing can be intimidating.
And understanding the regs and draws too.
Sounds like you're on the right track, where do you do this?

We are able to use the local pistol club, works out great as they have several bays outside. If fish and wildlife has a deer for us we gut it in the back corner, enough space south of the range where we get them on an orienteering course as well. We have a whole 3 hour block where we do ethics in the field and fish and wildlife officer comes in for the legal. We go through the regulations and the draw booklet as well to try and ease them into it.