Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-05-2009, 12:39 PM
Banned

Exclamation

Two wrongs don't make a right. Destroying the blind would not be the proper steps. Try to find the people responsible and have them remove it. If there is any legal issues involved let the land owner and the Game Warden figure that out. We are not judge and jury. Find out the facts first before passing judgement.
Old 11-05-2009, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubby2 View Post
Find out the facts first before passing judgement.
Oh come on... if we did that this board would be no fun at all!
Old 11-05-2009, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbosch View Post
If you recognize these pictures of this blind in the wetaskiwin area that is on permission only land with bags of deer attractant inside it please feel free to explain yourself. By the time you do my buddy will have reported it anyways and I believe the landowner is currently warming up the tractor to go see how structurally sound your blind is.
So are you the only one that is allowed on the property, or are other people on there as well and how do you know they are poaching. And as for the attractant all that crap should be band from use. Why not leave the blind and use it for your own personal use.
Old 11-05-2009, 01:02 PM

That is interesting I have a friend who's father-inlaw wrecked his tree stand and blind, Then felt bad when he found out it was all good and I have friends at Eckville that bait for the camera only never shot an animal in thier life.

Who Knows
Old 11-05-2009, 01:27 PM

Currently the landowner is looking in to this further.

He didn't give anyone else permission but feels he may have an idea of who it is. It was a friend of mine that found the blind and hunts there not myself. The landowner was the one that decided to destroy the blind not me or my friend, but in the end he decided to hold off and investigate further. If it is someone using bait to lure animals for hunting purposes they will be reported. If not the landowner will deal with the trespassing issue in his own special way i'm sure.

That's all I know for sure at this point.
Old 11-05-2009, 01:36 PM

Default hmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy_fool1 View Post
I agree, i think if its illegal to use it shouldn't be sold in the province! Plain and simple I would have thought.

now someone please correct me if im wrong but i thought i read somewhere that you can use electric calls is predator hunting only.

As for the original thread... a high up trail cam would have been best to get the evidence to punish this person.
it issss sold in this province because it is NOT illegal.
Old 11-05-2009, 02:04 PM

Is my, um, no my friends doe in heat buck lure going to get me ,oops , I mean him in trouble too?
Old 11-05-2009, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redranger15 View Post
Is my, um, no my friends doe in heat buck lure going to get me ,oops , I mean him in trouble too?
The definitions in the regs are quite clear:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Game Regulations
It is unlawful to

1. set out, use or employ any of the following items for the purpose of hunting big game:
* ammunition of less than .23 calibre,
* ammunition that contains non-expanding bullets,
* an auto-loading firearm that has the capacity to hold more than 5 cartridges in the magazine,
* a shotgun having a gauge of .410 or less,
* a shotgun in a bird sanctuary,
* bait, except as permitted for the hunting of black bears (click here for more information on Black Bear baiting),
* an arrow other than an authorized arrow (click here for more information on bowhunting),
* a bow other than an authorized bow (click here for more information on bowhunting),
* a muzzle-loading firearm of less than .44 calibre,
* a rifle or shotgun in WMUs 212, 248 or 410 (persons hunting under the authority of a Strathcona White-tailed Deer Licence, a Foothills Deer Licence, or an Antlerless Moose Special Licence in Strathcona County may hunt with a bow and arrow, cross-bow, muzzleloader or shotgun),
* a trap,
* a cross-bow and arrow that is not authorized (click here to view Hunting with a Cross-bow)
The General definitions are quite clear on the definition of bait:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Definitions
Bait - any substance that consists of a food attractant, including mineral and any representation of a food attractant.
So - based on the regs, if the blind was being used for hunting, and the bag of c'mere deer was present, then the user could indeed be charged under the Wildlife act. If he had only a camera, and no firearm - not hunting, not illegal.

The definition clearly permits scent lures like deer pee or buck bombs etc, so long as the scent isn't 'food'.

Seems clear to me. Wait it out - find the people using the blind, and if they have the goods and the guns, they're poachin. Otherwise, they're just out watching deer.

Old 11-05-2009, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickrel pat View Post
it issss sold in this province because it is NOT illegal.
It is only legal to own that deer feed... not to use it. So why not ban selling it here to deter criminal activity??? Lures and cover scents are just that, to cover your scent. The food should not be sold here even to photo guys because its just a huge amount of temptation to use for bad hunters.
People will just find loop holes if they get caught... such as only for photo ops... but then again if i come back with my gun instead of camera that day and no one is around it would sure be an easy hunt. Offering items for illegal use is stupid... and I am in an industry where it is common to sell and install illegal car accessories, like blue and red lights, tinted windows, car sirens, incredibly loud stereos and exhaust systems... we are still allowed to do it even though its unlawful for you to drive your vehicle that way. I don't agree with it since it is just tempting people to break the law. If it was removed. the temptation would be gone and no one would sufferl. Sure the businesses wouldnt sell as much of that, but they would sell more lures instead... and my industry would move onto somethign else to focus on that IS legal.
The system is just promoting criminal activity and IMO they should just remove the temptations.
Old 11-05-2009, 04:27 PM

Default feeding deer

Quote:
It is only legal to own that deer feed... not to use it. So why not ban selling it here to deter criminal activity??? Lures and cover scents are just that, to cover your scent. The food should not be sold here even to photo guys because its just a huge amount of temptation to use for bad hunters.
People will just find loop holes if they get caught... such as only for photo ops... but then again if i come back with my gun instead of camera that day and no one is around it would sure be an easy hunt. Offering items for illegal use is stupid... and I am in an industry where it is common to sell and install illegal car accessories, like blue and red lights, tinted windows, car sirens, incredibly loud stereos and exhaust systems... we are still allowed to do it even though its unlawful for you to drive your vehicle that way. I don't agree with it since it is just tempting people to break the law. If it was removed. the temptation would be gone and no one would sufferl. Sure the businesses wouldnt sell as much of that, but they would sell more lures instead... and my industry would move onto somethign else to focus on that IS legal.
The system is just promoting criminal activity and IMO they should just remove the temptations.

there are lots of rural people that feed deer after the hunting season, bales of hay and that Cmere deer type of product in lots of folks acerages. Not just used as a lure during hunting season. FS
Old 11-05-2009, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faststeel View Post
there are lots of rural people that feed deer after the hunting season, bales of hay and that Cmere deer type of product in lots of folks acerages. Not just used as a lure during hunting season. FS
I know that as well... and its nice that some people will use it not for hunting... but I would rather not have the item that can be used for bad lying around for public sale and sacrifice the times it will be used for good, but thats just my opinion.
Old 11-05-2009, 04:55 PM

Every farmer or person in rural Alberta has access to as much deer bait as they like(grain, oats, peas, ect) shall we ban this too. Come on its about the poachers not the product.
Old 11-05-2009, 05:01 PM

surely everything that grows locally and is available on most farms is not going to be easily used in criminal ways... i just think i t would stop alot of guys from stopping in at WSS on their way out of town and picking up a bag and tossing it out infront of his blind each time he goes out.
I agree we have to focus on the poachers, but you cant be everywhere at once. All im suggesting is we take away some of their tools... Will it matter either way. probably not.
Old 11-05-2009, 05:25 PM

Quote:
I agree, i think if its illegal to use it shouldn't be sold in the province! Plain and simple I would have thought.
It is illegal to drive and drive, so which do we get rid of the booze or the truck?
Old 11-05-2009, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunslinger View Post
I also wouldnt wreck it yet i would give it some time and maybe see what the outcome is, if you have permission get rid of the bait and sit in it. you will be there when they show up and then you will know./
That sounds like a good plan. Don't wreck it until you shoot a deer from it and then see who shows up to use it.

I also agree that it might be a simple mistake, because it's a little unusual for someone to put in so much time, effort and money into a blind like that if they are poaching. A portable would seem to be a way better way to go....that one looks kinda permanent.
Old 11-05-2009, 05:32 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by 209x50 View Post
It is illegal to drive and drive, so which do we get rid of the booze or the truck?
drive and drive????????
Old 11-05-2009, 05:35 PM

Just to play devils advocate cuz ive got nothing better to do at the moment... What are the cons if we ban Booze? less socializing ... anything else? now im a good drinker and i love the relaxing effect of a cold one when I get home from a tough day but seriously if you think about the pros VS. cons of booze it should be obvious.

Pros, less teen sex and pregnancies, less unprotected end of the night regrettable sex, Less driving accidents, less accidents everywhere... (tackling bbq's, falling down,etc. ), less fights, less abuse on taxi drivers, less general stupidity and annoying wreckless behaviour, less homeless due to alcoholism, better relationships between married couples, More money for better uses, less crime to feed alcoholics problems. the pros are endless but do you know why we will never ban booze?
A: Its fun
B: The government makes too much money off it (200% tax here)
And thats why it will never be banned and drinking and driving will never stop.
Old 11-05-2009, 06:45 PM

Quote:
I think someone had a little to much to drive.
Old 11-05-2009, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal53 View Post
drive and drive????????
LOL! That's what I get for juggling two computers at once...
Old 11-05-2009, 08:24 PM

Quote:
LOL! That's what I get for juggling two computers at once...
Maybe you should give up juggling man!!
Old 11-05-2009, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram crazy View Post
I would if I could but you know how it goes a Mac is only good for somethings and IBM for others and when you have a half a dozen projects open on them at once it easy to screw something up. I'm surprised I don't do it more often or on something that matters rather than a message board! LOL
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram crazy View Post
X2...maybe shut 1 down!!!!...pretty sad ....

So if I was hunting for deer and saw one 100yds out and shot it, and after walking up to it I saw it was feeding on cmere deer that someone else put out, should I turn myself in?

WOODY
CSSA NFAMember
Old 11-05-2009, 09:42 PM

So if I was hunting for deer and saw one 100yds out and shot it, and after walking up to it I saw it was feeding on cmere deer that someone else put out, should I turn myself in?

Probably should slide him off the bait pile before taking a picture though
Old 11-05-2009, 10:12 PM

Hook him to the bumper of the truck and drag him out. Nothing to see here

WOODY
CSSA NFAMember
Old 11-06-2009, 10:31 AM

I agree that there are people that use these products for scouting and trail cam as well as rural acreages just to see deer but when these products have camo clad hunters posing with a dead deer it kinda sends that message that this is a hunting product. Like I said maybe it shouldn't be banned from store but I believe proper signage that this product isn't legal to use for hunting in Alberta is necessary, same for electronic calls (moose, deer, elk).

Mike
Old 11-06-2009, 11:17 AM

Quote:
I know that as well... and its nice that some people will use it not for hunting... but I would rather not have the item that can be used for bad lying around for public sale and sacrifice the times it will be used for good, but thats just my opinion.
Wow, that's EXACTLY what some people I know say about firearms.

I don't have a problem with it's sale, there may be legitimate reasons for its use. I think for this sort of product, or electronic calls not of the approved variety, etc. that retailers should simply have to affix a sticker to the packaging which says "Note: It is illegal to use this product while hunting in Alberta. See hunting regulations for details." It doesn't even have to be a law to do so. I'm sure that if SRD set up a program most reputable retailers would happily comply.
Old 11-07-2009, 11:36 PM

Quote:

now someone please correct me if im wrong but i thought i read somewhere that you can use electric calls is predator hunting only.

As for the original thread... a high up trail cam would have been best to get the evidence to punish this person.

Yes you can use electric calls for predetors, and snow geese, as for the sale of the deer bait I dont agree that it should;nt be sold in the province as it may be used for other things such as taking trail cam photos. To me its all about ethics, either you know right from wrong or you do not.
Old 11-08-2009, 07:13 AM

Baiting is legal in our province. A friend of mine who bowhunts purchased some C'Mer Deer to use. I have a lot of deer in my farm yard so we put a pile out and I set up a deer cam at it. Lots of pictures of squirels using it and lots of pictures of deer feeding around it but not one of them used it. In my opionion using this stuff is paying for a lot of slick advertising,fishing and hunting trips for one American family. Just a question about baiting in your province, is setting up a blind in an orchard that is dropping apples baiting, or beside a grain pile in a field???
Old 11-08-2009, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgl1948 View Post
Just a question about baiting in your province, is setting up a blind in an orchard that is dropping apples baiting, or beside a grain pile in a field???
No thats called farming. Those crops and apples are there for harvest and not to attract wildlife and it is legal to hunt them there. Specifically placing baits to attract ungulates for hunting in Alberta is illegal. Baiting bears is legal.