Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-22-2023, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil McCracken View Post

So to the ones that complain all the time, maybe join a Rural Crime Watch Program or something similar, and actually help the police do their jobs instead of whining about it.
There have been rural crime watches, citizens on patrol for years, they make no difference and will make no difference until we change the legal system. We could have 1 policemen and 10 citizens on patrol following every individual criminal around 24 hrs a day and nothing will change. Until society forces the gov't and legal system to start punishing and removing criminals from society. Criminal rights laws have to be changed. The $100,000 a year to keep criminals in jail needs to be changed to $2000 a year bread and water tent work camps in the middle of nowhere.

The reason we have so many criminals on the street is because our laws coddle, protect and encourage criminals by providing no repercussions for their behavior. It has gotten to the point where we don't have any meaningful law enforcement regardless of the numbers of law enforcement officers no matter if they are RCMP, Sherrifs, Municipal or Provincial police. The problem is not with the police, the problem lies directly on the law makers and how those laws are administered (or not in the vast majority of cases) inside the court room.
Old 07-22-2023, 07:08 PM

Our local RCMP (rural area/town) have stepped up their arrests in the past year but the judicial system just keeps the door revolving for the perps. Drugs, robbery, gun violations, makes no difference, back on the street in a few hours doing what they do best until some inconsequential court appearance. Anyone on rural crime watch is intimidated/threatened by the perps, who know the system protects them. I have seen trail cam pics of a local druggy who was dousing a neighbour's farm equipment with diesel and burned it to the tune of around 750 thousand, police would not accept the pics as evidence and 2 years later still no repercussions.
Old 07-22-2023, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
There have been rural crime watches, citizens on patrol for years, they make no difference and will make no difference until we change the legal system. We could have 1 policemen and 10 citizens on patrol following every individual criminal around 24 hrs a day and nothing will change. Until society forces the gov't and legal system to start punishing and removing criminals from society. Criminal rights laws have to be changed. The $100,000 a year to keep criminals in jail needs to be changed to $2000 a year bread and water tent work camps in the middle of nowhere.

The reason we have so many criminals on the street is because our laws coddle, protect and encourage criminals by providing no repercussions for their behavior. It has gotten to the point where we don't have any meaningful law enforcement regardless of the numbers of law enforcement officers no matter if they are RCMP, Sherrifs, Municipal or Provincial police. The problem is not with the police, the problem lies directly on the law makers and how those laws are administered (or not in the vast majority of cases) inside the court room.
This is exactly the problem, not the Police
Old 07-22-2023, 09:46 PM

The legal system is definitely broken, it treats the criminals as the victims. But there are also problems with policing, if you live in a rural area, the police are too far away to protect you. As for the RCMP, they are being used as a political pawn by the liberals, to promote liberal agendas.
Old 07-23-2023, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
The legal system is definitely broken, it treats the criminals as the victims. But there are also problems with policing, if you live in a rural area, the police are too far away to protect you. As for the RCMP, they are being used as a political pawn by the liberals, to promote liberal agendas.
And the police arrest you for defending your property even though they can't .Then the awesome court system makes you spend all your savings on lawyers to try and stay out of jail for doing what they should be doing for you since they have the laws that make it impossible for you to defend yourself . Dumbest system ever thought up.
Old 07-23-2023, 06:47 AM

You only have a year to go through the complaint commission and I was still battling with crooked RCMP and they still had a lot of my guns . Took me like 2 years to get guns back and charge's thrown out because crooked RCMP kept stalling. So when settled its to late to complain and while you are still before courts like what they do is dig in. You have no idea how determined they were to keep my guns. They come at you with two lawyers and seem to have nothing else more important in the world than to screw you over. More public you go the more they dig in and drag out. Its like they invest so much time and resources into you that they need to get some type of conviction to save face and none of them care about innocent or guilty. Then when it is over go out and try to find a lawyer who is willing to sue a RCMP. Lawyers told me that I will go broke doing it because its not about right or wrong its about who has endless amount of lawyers at their disposal.
You know it just never occurs to RCMP that maybe there is a reason why public who has actually dealt with them does not like them. Biggest mistake in my life was calling 911 for help that day. Never again no matter what the circumstances are I would never call 911. I would literally let my house burn to ground and I would die before I would call RCMP again.
Not only do I have the public damage to my name because people only want to spread gossip and rummers about you when something like this happens but Years later when everything thrown out and found innocent nobody ever wants to talk about that.
The ringleader cop that arrested me and really went out of his way to intimidate me while everything was before the court. His career is over and he is out of RCMP now because of what he did but he had all kinds of friends when this was happening. I had four other Mountie's who went out of their way to let me know my place and how I would never ever get my guns or powder,ammo etc back. Are they going to try to settle score with me? I dont even carry a gopher gun in farm truck now because I feel like if I happen to get stopped it's going to be well we took his gun because he was being aggressive or posturing. Haha he was escalating haha and then it costs me thousands with lawyers to get a 500 gun back.

And about good news stories. What a joke so they do one thing right so now it makes everything else they did to me and others okay?
Old 07-23-2023, 07:45 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Thumbs up

Quote:
Have to agree with this one TC. Been going on for decades. Always been a pet peeve of mine.

Unlike most of the private sector, the vacancies are not temporarily backfilled. So what is happening is the ones that are left behind doing the job have much more to do, overworked, and many get fatigued. They do the best with what they got.

Not all, but a few absolutely know nothing about policing, other than using social media with half true stories, and will post them here to get their 10 seconds of glory.

Some relish sharing negative stories (and I do admit the fact that there has been a few the past few years). However, there are many good news stories, lot more than the bad. I simply do not understand why "good news" stories are rarely posted. And the few that are, the antis will not comment on them. Pretty sad actually.

There is no doubt in my mind there will be major policing changes in the future. But I don't believe it will happen in my lifetime.

So to the ones that complain all the time, maybe join a Rural Crime Watch Program or something similar, and actually help the police do their jobs instead of whining about it.

And to the ones that feel they have been mistreated, pretty simple. Make a complaint to the CRCC (Civilian Review and Complaints Commission)...

Voice of reasoning.

Well said.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 07-23-2023, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolpete1 View Post
And the police arrest you for defending your property even though they can't .Then the awesome court system makes you spend all your savings on lawyers to try and stay out of jail for doing what they should be doing for you since they have the laws that make it impossible for you to defend yourself . Dumbest system ever thought up.
Broken or designed to be that way ?

Grizz

Isaiah 5:8
Old 07-23-2023, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by traderal View Post
Our local RCMP (rural area/town) have stepped up their arrests in the past year but the judicial system just keeps the door revolving for the perps. Drugs, robbery, gun violations, makes no difference, back on the street in a few hours doing what they do best until some inconsequential court appearance. Anyone on rural crime watch is intimidated/threatened by the perps, who know the system protects them. I have seen trail cam pics of a local druggy who was dousing a neighbour's farm equipment with diesel and burned it to the tune of around 750 thousand, police would not accept the pics as evidence and 2 years later still no repercussions.
Catch and release for for real criminals that cause real harm continues to happen and it is okay for most Canadians. Yet anybody that was associated with the Trucker Convoy or Pastors that spoke up remain Under Arrest in jail and going through the court system. These people are not career criminals that the governments had the RCMP arrest. This is will when good people protest to keep our liberties. Real changes were made to the RCMP a few years back and now these changes are used to try and intimidate good people to remain silent.
Old 07-23-2023, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 59whiskers View Post
Catch and release for for real criminals that cause real harm continues to happen and it is okay for most Canadians. Yet anybody that was associated with the Trucker Convoy or Pastors that spoke up remain Under Arrest in jail and going through the court system. These people are not career criminals that the governments had the RCMP arrest. This is will when good people protest to keep our liberties. Real changes were made to the RCMP a few years back and now these changes are used to try and intimidate good people to remain silent.
In Vietnam it was unclear who the bad guys were. Pretty soon everyone seemed to be the enemy. We ( I actually have a relative that went south and enlisted) we started to treat everyone like the enemy and we created more VC than anybody. Couldn't kill them fast enough and everyone we killed created more VC that hated us.
Police need to be part of community. Trusted by community and held accountable to our community. If RCMP have to wear and use more armour and firepower than what our ancestors carried in the big war in order to walk around rural Alberta then maybe you are doing something wrong and dont try to say its because you are kicking down doors of thieves and drug dealers because we know your not unless in a big SWAT unit.
Gun Crime is stealing,hurting others ,dealing drugs,etc. Not a farmer or sportsman owning a gun!
I don't know what went on in Coutts but I do know those guys are still in jail and will have to prove themselves innocent. Why did crown not provide full disclosure? I believe to stall. I'm sure a lot of innocent people take deals not because they are guilty but because they are scared and dont want to rot in jail
Old 07-23-2023, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W921 View Post
In Vietnam it was unclear who the bad guys were. Pretty soon everyone seemed to be the enemy. We ( I actually have a relative that went south and enlisted) we started to treat everyone like the enemy and we created more VC than anybody. Couldn't kill them fast enough and everyone we killed created more VC that hated us.
Police need to be part of community. Trusted by community and held accountable to our community. If RCMP have to wear and use more armour and firepower than what our ancestors carried in the big war in order to walk around rural Alberta then maybe you are doing something wrong and dont try to say its because you are kicking down doors of thieves and drug dealers because we know your not unless in a big SWAT unit.
Gun Crime is stealing,hurting others ,dealing drugs,etc. Not a farmer or sportsman owning a gun!
I don't know what went on in Coutts but I do know those guys are still in jail and will have to prove themselves innocent. Why did crown not provide full disclosure? I believe to stall. I'm sure a lot of innocent people take deals not because they are guilty but because they are scared and dont want to rot in jail
I brought this point at a meeting, just about the time the member gets familiar with who the local trouble makers are, they get transferred. It's RCMP policy to transfer members regularly, lest they get too comfortable in the community. Tough to keep up with who the sergeant is in the local detachment.
Grizz

Isaiah 5:8
Old 07-23-2023, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W921 View Post
In my little city the city police, and the RCMP, have their stations right next to each other, CPS polices the city, and the RCMP police the highways. The city police are part of the community, the chief lives two doors down from me, and most people trust the city police. On the other hand, the RCMP are transferred regularly, are not seen as part of the community , and many people don't trust them, because of the actions of the RCMP, as a whole.
Old 07-24-2023, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams1 View Post
I brought this point at a meeting, just about the time the member gets familiar with who the local trouble makers are, they get transferred. It's RCMP policy to transfer members regularly, lest they get too comfortable in the community. Tough to keep up with who the sergeant is in the local detachment.
Grizz
Yes, you are correct.

However, compared to many years ago, if a member is satisfied where he/she's at, they will stay at a location longer. Eventually will be moved for development purposes. Heck, I know a guy that spent his entire career in Rimbey, and another in Red Deer.

However, there are detachments that members require to be transferred after a certain period of time: Assumption, High Level, Fort Vermillion, at one time Oyen and smaller detachments etc.. Limited Duration Posts.

I have always maintained that public relations is the key, and participating in crime prevention programs are ways to help police do their jobs. Slamming them hourly does not help at all.

And a slight derail here. I agree our Judicial System is completely broken. And when these poor criminals are released, who does most blame? Yep, the police. Because they don't know any better...
Old 07-24-2023, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Yes, you are correct.

However, compared to many years ago, if a member is satisfied where he/she's at, they will stay at a location longer. Eventually will be moved for development purposes. Heck, I know a guy that spent his entire career in Rimbey, and another in Red Deer.

However, there are detachments that members require to be transferred after a certain period of time: Assumption, High Level, Fort Vermillion, at one time Oyen and smaller detachments etc.. Limited Duration Posts.

I have always maintained that public relations is the key, and participating in crime prevention programs are ways to help police do their jobs. Slamming them hourly does not help at all.

And a slight derail here. I agree our Judicial System is completely broken. And when these poor criminals are released, who does most blame? Yep, the police. Because they don't know any better...
Phil, at least from my perspective, serious mistrust and angst towards the RCMP started with Trudeau, and his using them as pawns in his attempt to score political points via criminal cases, and of course High River.

Before Trudeau, I just don’t remember anything approaching this level of dissatisfaction amongst the public.

Hard for rank and file to do their best day to day and get slammed because of gov’t interference. Not fair for them.

Hope things are better with our new APP.

Alberta Provincial Police.

Seems to be just a matter of time now.

My thoughts anyhow.

Last edited by sns2; 07-24-2023 at 07:44 AM.
Old 07-24-2023, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
Phil, at least from my perspective, serious mistrust and angst towards the RCMP started with Trudeau, and his using them as pawns in his attempt to score political points via criminal cases, and of course High River.

Before Trudeau, I just don’t remember anything approaching this level of dissatisfaction amongst the public.

Hard for rank and file to do their best day to day and get slammed because of gov’t interference.

My thoughts anyhow.
Like any other profession, or company, one bad deed erases many good deeds, and incidents like High River, the Vancouver airport incident, the RCMP not destroying the long gun registry when ordered to by the federal government, and the corruption between Trudeau and the RCMP commissioner, have resulted in a huge lack of trust for the RCMP, by the public. Now many Canadians see the RCMP organization as a political pawn, more than as an organization formed to enforce the law, and protect Canadians.
Old 07-24-2023, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Like any other profession, or company, one bad deed erases many good deeds, and incidents like High River, the Vancouver airport incident, the RCMP not destroying the long gun registry when ordered to by the federal government, and the corruption between Trudeau and the RCMP commissioner, have resulted in a huge lack of trust for the RCMP, by the public. Now many Canadians see the RCMP organization as a political pawn, more than as an organization formed to enforce the law, and protect Canadians.
I agree 100%. It is unfortunate that the 99% get painted by the actions of the 1%.

Just like teachers. You know how woke I am. Yet, public perception paints us all with the same brush. Woke.

I will always be convinced that the vast majority of men and women in blue do their best, with whatever conditions they are given, no different than the rest of us.

I look forward to an APP that is independent of Ottawa.
Old 07-24-2023, 08:45 AM

Quote:
I agree 100%. It is unfortunate that the 99% get painted by the actions of the 1%.

Just like teachers. You know how woke I am. Yet, public perception paints us all with the same brush. Woke.

I will always be convinced that the vast majority of men and women in blue do their best, with whatever conditions they are given, no different than the rest of us.

I believe this will eventually happen, and would probably be a better fit for communities in Alberta.

Having said that, Alberta has a contract with the Federal government until 2032, so I don't believe anything will happen anytime soon...
Old 07-24-2023, 08:46 AM

Pondering an Alberta Provincial Police force, and was wondering how they will approach governance, so as to not be seen as an extension of the Premier’s Office.

Get the wrong person behind the Premier’s desk and look the hell out. Trouble in the kitchen.
Old 07-24-2023, 08:53 AM

Quote:

It goes even farther than that, if the organization deals harshly with the bad apples, it actually restores the
credibility of the organization, but if the bad/illegal activities are ignored or swept under the carpet, the reputation of the entire organization suffers. That applies whether the offender is a teacher, a politician, an outfitter, or an LEO, and the higher up the corruption occurs, the more damaging to the reputation of the organization.
Old 07-24-2023, 09:19 AM

Default What a post!

I knew one of those poor Mounties who was killed at Mayerthorpe, and being a policeman in a province where the criminals are well aremed is very dangerous work.
As I understand it, the RCMP is having a very hard time attacting recruits, and I haven't heard how recruitment would work for the APP. The OPP has lower standards than the mounties and thats how Ontario has addressed the problem.
What are we suggesting, longer sentences for minor offenses, longer sentences for repeat offenders, faster adjudication, all of the above.
This will all cost money and the only way the government gets money is by taxing us.
What do we want the government to do?
Old 07-24-2023, 09:36 AM

Default Time to boot them out

Quote:
You seem more concerned with what the RCMP union wants, most of us are more concerned with how the liberals plan to use the RCMP as a political pawn, just like they use the CBC.
Id just like a response to a call. Living rural, service is non existent. Sometimes its a couple of days before someone calls you back.

Airdrie is the closest detachment at 40 minutes away and they close on weekends.

What's that new Jason Aldean song ? Try that in a small town ...
Old 07-24-2023, 09:38 AM

Default contract

Quote:
I believe this will eventually happen, and would probably be a better fit for communities in Alberta.

Having said that, Alberta has a contract with the Federal government until 2032, so I don't believe anything will happen anytime soon...
Id bet there is a "non performance clause" in there somewhere..
Old 07-24-2023, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by densa44 View Post
I knew one of those poor Mounties who was killed at Mayerthorpe, and being a policeman in a province where the criminals are well aremed is very dangerous work.
As I understand it, the RCMP is having a very hard time attacting recruits, and I haven't heard how recruitment would work for the APP. The OPP has lower standards than the mounties and thats how Ontario has addressed the problem.
What are we suggesting, longer sentences for minor offenses, longer sentences for repeat offenders, faster adjudication, all of the above.
This will all cost money and the only way the government gets money is by taxing us.
What do we want the government to do?
Bob, the tax revenue generated by a CPC gov’t that rubber stamped Northern Gateway and Energy East pipelines respectively would generate more than enough to cover the cot of imprisoning scumbags.

Some of the stuff you say is straight out of the Trudeau misinformation playbook.

You better let Elk check through the media you consume, cuz it seems your brain may be unwittingly being washed by woke lefties on facebook etc…. LOL

Last edited by sns2; 07-24-2023 at 09:47 AM.
Old 07-24-2023, 11:09 AM

If any police force gets harder on criminals and the judicial system sentences them to jail, we gonna have to build a pile of new prisons. And hire a pile of new prison workers. I believe ours are maxed out as it is.
Gonna cost a lot of money but money well spent in my books.
So the very first thing that needs to be done before we can move forward is build prisons.
If you build it, they will come…… lol
It will remain a catch and release system until judges have a place to put them.
Old 07-24-2023, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
If any police force gets harder on criminals and the judicial system sentences them to jail, we gonna have to build a pile of new prisons. And hire a pile of new prison workers. I believe ours are maxed out as it is.
Gonna cost a lot of money but money well spent in my books.
So the very first thing that needs to be done before we can move forward is build prisons.
If you build it, they will come…… lol
It will remain a catch and release system until judges have a place to put them.
How about we cut costs to run prisons, make them prisons again,instead of club fed? Implement manual labor, basic meals, cut back on anything that isn't a basic requirement. How about we contract out the lifers/murderers etc. to China or other locations, where the cost will be much cheaper?
Old 07-24-2023, 11:29 AM

Quote:
How about we cut costs to run prisons, make them prisons again,instead of club fed? Implement manual labor, basic meals, cut back on anything that isn't a basic requirement. How about we contract out the lifers/murderers etc. to China or other locations, where the cost will be much cheaper?
That too…. But still need more prisons. Or more bunk beds…. Lol
Old 07-24-2023, 12:15 PM

Quote:
I know a few officers, even last week when I was talking to one he said even the Alberta sheriffs are quitting. they are having a hard time filling those positions and the pay is way less than an RCMP officer.
Old 07-24-2023, 12:20 PM

Default My brother in law

He is a member of the OPP and he could not qualify for the RCMP. So believe what you want.
BTW our civilization has tried; capital punishment for petty theft, cutting off of hands, transporting people to Australia, and the system that we are now complaining about. So what do you think will work?
Don't kid yourself about taxation, the government has used the prison system as a political plumb for special ridings. and it is a huge employer and big spender. Why do you think the Kingston Pen was put in that riding. Guess who was the PM then, Sir John A., very little has changed since then.
Old 07-24-2023, 12:27 PM

Quote:
He is a member of the OPP and he could not qualify for the RCMP. So believe what you want.
BTW our civilization has tried; capital punishment for petty theft, cutting off of hands, transporting people to Australia, and the system that we are now complaining about. So what do you think will work?
Don't kid yourself about taxation, the government has used the prison system as a political plumb for special ridings. and it is a huge employer and big spender. Why do you think the Kingston Pen was put in that riding. Guess who was the PM then, Sir John A., very little has changed since then.
Hope your brother in law doesn’t read your post.

What would be the criteria that is more lax that broadens the pool of candidates, and enabled your sister’s husband to find employment?
Old 07-24-2023, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Lets start by executing crimimals like Paul Bernardo and Clifford Olsen. Why spend millions keeping them in prison for decades. As well, dead criminals don't ever reoffend, so another benefit. And if you cut all extras , and only offer the absolute essentials in prisons, you can greatly reduce costs, and keep the criminals behind bars, where they can’t commit more crimes.