Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-28-2008, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
Oko....I was away for a week and just got back and saw this e-mail and thought I'd ask a simple question. I thought I'd get a simple answer......end of story. Apparently it wasn't a rumour.
No problem. just a suggestion about how to find out. I'd call but I don't really care. And it sounds like the no permission part of the story was a rumour.
Old 01-28-2008, 11:06 AM
Banned

I just can't do it,, I was going to comment but I can't.. I can't say what has to be said and remain on this forum.. For the life of me I do not know what these people want or what they expect or who the #$@! do they think they are !!! And what the hell is wrong with our government !!!

Racism is alive and doing well in this country and its my rite to feel contempt and to have a total lack of respect for a race of people that have none for me.. They keep pushing this thing its going to get ugly.. They lost a war once it will happen again... Lets get it on.
Old 01-28-2008, 11:08 AM

Wow I'm sure nobody on here ever broke the law. I remember when the gun registry was first coming in and everybody was putting it off past the due date to force an issue. I guess we should all have had our *****es nailed to the wall too. that was and still is our tax money being spent. Groups of all kinds use this kind of tactic to get legal results because it gets people excited and talking and then results. I'm still waiting on the gun registry to disappear though.

WOODY
CSSA NFAMember
Old 01-28-2008, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleyes View Post
I just can't do it,, I was going to comment but I can't.. I can't say what has to be said and remain on this forum.. For the life of me I do not know what these people want or what they expect or who the #$@! do they think they are !!! And what the hell is wrong with our government !!!

Racism is alive and doing well in this country and its my rite to feel contempt and to have a total lack of respect for a race of people that have none for me.. They keep pushing this thing its going to get ugly.. They lost a war once it will happen again... Lets get it on.
nevermind
Old 01-28-2008, 11:10 AM

Walleyes, we went to war on the French not the natives.

WOODY
CSSA NFAMember
Old 01-28-2008, 11:15 AM
Banned

Oh I think we had the odd scuffle with the natives and the half breeds as well.. I seem to recall a little place called Frog Lake !!!!
Old 01-28-2008, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
LOL Bringing up and asking about rumours on this particular topic on this bulletin board is like throwing a molotov cocktail into the room. LOL
Perhaps it can be like a molotov cocktail but that's to be expected when we have groups(races?) looking to obtain (keep, exercise?) at the expense of other groups.

However, just because its a volatile subject that doesn't mean it shouldn't be discussed or have attention brought to news. On the contrary, discussion may well be more important on an issue like this.

We need , however, to be civil and consider others' perspectives and opinions.
Old 01-28-2008, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Wall, I totally agree with you. When I hear stuff like these comunal hunts it makes my blood boil. When the IMHA was in effect it was used and abused in every way possible by some Metis. Now that's it changed to meet the needs of all Albertan's who have a need to subsistence hunt it's still not good enough for them. (new rules seem fair to me....) At first they were yakking it was their right to subsistence hunt, now it's all about their rights, period!

Most of us respect our laws and try not to break them but these people think they are above the law and apparently have little regard for it. In order to earn respect you have to show some and the Metis who organize these hunts lack badly in that category.

Keep at er boys, those who want it all, usually end up with nothing!
Old 01-28-2008, 11:32 AM

If we go to war for odd scuffles then we will be warring on everyone who walks by. I'm sure we have had scuffles with every race of people in Canada since the beginning of time. I'm sure the First nations had to remove people in order to occupy that land. We have to be bigger than 'taking it to them' every time we get ****ed because some people **** me off and its not the Metis. I would be in jail pretty quick if I took the action some want on some of the people I don't like. I just bite my tongue and let my gov keep screwing up because its who I vote for! End of rant.

WOODY
CSSA NFAMember
Old 01-28-2008, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuc View Post
Now that's it changed to meet the needs of all Albertan's who have a need to subsistence hunt it's still not good enough for them. (new rules seem fair to me....)
If they seem fair to you is important but not as important as if they meet the Powley test. I think they do but here is the decision if you want to make your own judgement:

http://csc.lexum.umontreal.ca/en/200...2003scc43.html
Old 01-28-2008, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleyes View Post
Walleyes, I hear you loud and clear.

Well since nobody has answered sheep's or my original questions, I figured I would try the phone number in the ad. The number I see (not the clearest) is 1-888-222-4380. When I call it say this number is not in use. Is this the right number?

Back to the orginal question here. Does anyone know what happened at this poaching event?

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Benelli, Sako, Beretta, Tikka, Franchi, Burris, & Steiner
Old 01-28-2008, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Oko....I was away for a week and just got back and saw this e-mail and thought I'd ask a simple question. I thought I'd get a simple answer......end of story. Apparently it wasn't a rumour.
So THAT's why its been so quiet around here...
Old 01-28-2008, 11:41 AM
sheephunter

It's 1-888-222-8380
Old 01-28-2008, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceaderwood View Post
I was reading this thread and found it very interesting.

I am metis. My husband who is not metis and I have been following all of this since we received my rights to hunt 4 years ago.
The Alberta government stopped allowing Metis to exercise their right this summer.

I went into see fish and wildlife this fall in person and this is what they told me. You can hunt if you have your metis card, and heritage family tree that goes back one hundred years. You bring in all your documents to us (fish and wildlife) and we approve you. Then once approved you can hunt in the designated land appointed to you with certain conditions.

I then went in to see my Metis office and talked to them. They told me I could go and hunt where I pleased following safety rules and the other guild lines given to hunters. Like no hunting on private land without permission, no hunting at night, and hunting trophy sheep etc....
They sent me a packaged saying that they wanted me to exercise my rights as a Metis to hunt and go out and harvest my animal providing food for my table and only my table to put food in my children's mouths. I realize that there are metis out there that do not follow the rules.
They sent me a package full of information from both sides the alberta government and metis harvest agreement.
If I exercise my rights not to do it the 'fish and wildlife way' getting approved by them first, and went out and hunted and say I was stopped while harvesting an animal I would have to go to court and prove to the government my heritage and fight charges laid against me in court.

Well I am a female metis hunter and have been hunting since I was a little girl. I purchased my tags up until four years ago. This fall I did go out and harvest an animal for my table to feed my kids. I shot my own moose and gutted it with help and me and my husband wrapped and packaged our own meat. Since the right became available to me I hunt less and harvest less. I'm only putting in my deep freeze what I need instead of tagging out like before cause it was sport and I payed for my tags. In the past four years Ive harvested 3 animals. One a year, except last year.

I was asked to go this fall in Hinton to do a Metis hunt same thing that is being brought up here. I did not go as I have 3 young children. I understand I cant speak for all Metis and understand that not all of us are the same and some break the rules.
I wanted to give a females Metis point of view.

JMO
Thanks for posting. Interesting (but not surprising) that there seem to be very different interpretations of the law.
340wtby

Quote:
It's 1-888-222-8380
Did you phone? That would be the easiest way to find out for sure. Since you are a "facts guy" I figured that you would have went right to the source.

Quote:
Wow I'm sure nobody on here ever broke the law. I remember when the gun registry was first coming in and everybody was putting it off past the due date to force an issue.
hey pops, I paid my money to LUFA and fought the gun registry every bit as hard as I fought this Metis agreement, Lufa lost so I guess I did too. I didn't break the law though, I reluctantly registered all my firearms. I will be happy if Harper can abolish the long gun registry but until then I will obey it.....You fellers don't get your way so you break them. What if every one or group of people in Canada broke all the laws they didn't agree with.
It would be dam kaotic, guys like you or me wouldn't be able to step out on the street, eh..
Old 01-28-2008, 11:47 AM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copidosoma View Post
So THAT's why its been so quiet around here...
I find it very humourous how some people instantly get their back up against a wall or want to start a fight or bring up some big conspiracy when some members ask for clarification of a fact or try to present a fact....sometimes questions about facts are just a search for knowledge and sometimes facts are just brought up to provide info or correct some misinformation. If I've got something else to add I will and if I don't I won't but for some reason people have a hard time believing that. I guess for them it's easier to put words in my mouth or create some big controversy. Easier than getting the facts I guess......

This was just a quest for knowledge...nothing else.
Old 01-28-2008, 11:48 AM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 340wtby View Post
Did you phone? That would be the easiest way to find out for sure. Since you are a "facts guy" I figured that you would have went right to the source.
And here I thought I was starting to miss inane comments from the peanut gallery...guess I was wrong!

You need a new hobby 340...this was funny for a while but now it's bordering on pathetic....

Dan asked a question and I answered for him...whether I called or not is irrelevant to this conversation.....starting to see the pathetic part now?
Old 01-28-2008, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
I'd call but I don't really care.
Are you saying you don't care about the way Metis people are harvesting animals? I think this is a bigger issue than the Open Spaces project. At least with Open Spaces our wildlife numbers are still being managed. With the Metis there is no managing. If they are allowed to poach animals, how can you manage any numbers?

I think this is an issue every Alberta Outdoorsmen should be concerned about.

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Old 01-28-2008, 11:52 AM

Old 01-28-2008, 11:53 AM
340wtby

Quote:
And here I thought I was starting to miss inane comments from the peanut gallery...guess I was wrong!

You need a new hobby 340...this was funny for a while but now it's bordering on pathetic....

Dan asked a question and I answered for him...whether I called or not is irrelevant to this conversation.....starting to see the pathetic part now?
There is no need to get your back up against the wall here, i am only asking a question.
Old 01-28-2008, 11:53 AM

Quote:
I find it very humourous how some people instantly get their back up against a wall or want to start a fight or bring up some big conspiracy when some members ask for clarification of a fact or try to present a fact....sometimes questions about facts are just a search for knowledge and sometimes facts are just brought up to provide info or correct some misinformation. If I've got something else to add I will and if I don't I won't but for some reason people have a hard time believing that. I guess for them it's easier to put words in my mouth or create some big controversy. Easier than getting the facts I guess......

This was just a quest for knowledge...nothing else.
Have to agree with you there , SH. It seems to me, that little classified was important and I'm certainly glad you posted it. I also thought you were clear what you knew, what you didn't and what was 'rumour'(or third party info). Are we not to discuss issues of grave importance if the issue is contentious?
Old 01-28-2008, 11:55 AM
340wtby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockymtnx View Post
Are you saying you don't care about the way Metis people are harvesting animals? I think this is a bigger issue than the Open Spaces project. At least with Open Spaces our wildlife numbers are still being managed. With the Metis there is no managing. If they are allowed to poach animals, how can you manage any numbers?

I think this is an issue every Alberta Outdoorsmen should be concerned about.
Bigger than Open Spaces? Sorry but i don't think so.
Old 01-28-2008, 11:57 AM
sheephunter

Quote:
There is no need to get your back up against the wall here, i am only asking a question.
340...obviously you don't understand the difference between a question and a smarmy, pathetic cry for attention.......

I keep hoping that one day you'll actually add something to a thread that's worthwhile but I guess I should take Mark Twain's advice on being an optimist at my age...huh?
Old 01-28-2008, 12:00 PM
340wtby

Quote:
340...obviously you don't understand the difference between a question and a smarmy, pathetic cry for attention.......

I keep hoping that one day you'll actually add something to a thread that's worthwhile but I guess I should take Mark Twain's advice on being an optimist at my age...huh?
coming from the guy with over 3000 cries for attention
Old 01-28-2008, 12:03 PM
Banned

340,, the adults are trying to have a conversation do you mind !!!
Old 01-28-2008, 12:05 PM
340wtby

I phoned the number and was informed that a Metis fellow shot an antelope and the court dates is set for May 9th.
Old 01-28-2008, 12:06 PM

Quote:
I phoned the number and was informed that a Metis fellow shot an antelope and the court dates is set for May 9th.

Now that is worthwhile information.
Old 01-28-2008, 12:06 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
coming from the guy with over 3000 cries for attention
Actually if you'll notice...other than when you and a couple of your attention seeking little buddies get bored and start with your sniping and crap spewing.......my posts are either questions I'm seeking answers to or facts that I'm sharing. I know it's a far out concept for you so I won't explain any more but thanks for totally derailing another post about an issue that is critical to Alberta's hunters. Like I said, I keep hoping one day that you'll add something pertinent but damn....old Mark Twain had some sage advice.
Old 01-28-2008, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Bigger than Open Spaces? Sorry but i don't think so.
So you think having to pay for some premium hunting is more important than the issue of possibly having no wildlife to hunt at all?
Yes I don't agree with the whole Open Spaces project.
At least with Open Spaces our wildlife numbers are still being managed.
With the Metis issue you have the possibility of having entire species being wiped out. i.e.: entire herds of sheep and antelope being shot for their trophy heads, nets being set in walleye lakes, and then the fish being sold for a profit

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for: