Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 07-21-2015, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish_e_o View Post
small ejection port. depending on your oal you may not be able to eject a loaded round. really handy if you have a misfire and need to get a shot off
If you have a misfire the last thing to do is try to eject it right away incase of a hangfire!

Ive had a few and still own one they are a great rifle and the plastic everyone is hung up on as a problem is very durable ive seen some bottom metal trigger gaurds on other rifles break from a fall and yet to see one on a tikka im not saying they are the best or the toughest just they are more durable than some like to think
Old 07-21-2015, 10:28 AM
Precisionshooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolete View Post

That "sloppy" bolt handle doesn't break off though, unlike the odd Remington.
LOL...well I am not sure about that..., but the Remington has been around for some time longer then the new T3. The loose bolt handle will only wear more and have increased clearances. Sure it works...but time will definitely test it. The design is not for everyone and to be honest I believe the majority of owners haven't even notices this design change. Hard to beat a forged once piece bolt but not everyone wants to pay for it...
Old 07-21-2015, 10:32 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogslayer403 View Post
If you have a misfire the last thing to do is try to eject it right away incase of a hangfire!
well wait your minute and don't move and the animal likely wont run but if you're dumping your rifle over sideways
Old 07-21-2015, 10:48 AM

Quote:
well wait your minute and don't move and the animal likely wont run but if you're dumping your rifle over sideways
Lol i get your argument just never seen it as an issue in any ive had just seems like a splitting hairs topic but this forum would be no fun without it

I can see your point on a long cartridge with vld's seated way out but have just yet to see it is all
Old 07-21-2015, 10:52 AM
Banned

Quote:
Lol i get your argument just never seen it as an issue in any ive had just seems like a splitting hairs topic but this forum would be no fun without it

I can see your point on a long cartridge with vld's seated way out but have just yet to see it is all
a misfire could happen it's totally not common. i had it happen once and only once out hunting and i think it was a high primer.

but the thing that got me was every time i went out hunting and i had to unload my complete round i had to dig it out of the port. freaking pain if you ask me.

it's the little things that bug me
Old 07-21-2015, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckShooter View Post
Most of the Tikka guns you see being sold lightly used seem to be WSM, rumour has it that many of them have issues, probably a good idea to avoid a wsm Tikka.
This likely has more to do with the cartridge design of the WSM casings. From what I've heard, the steep shoulders can cause feeding issues in lots of different rifles.
Old 07-21-2015, 03:11 PM

Quote:
a misfire could happen it's totally not common. i had it happen once and only once out hunting and i think it was a high primer.

but the thing that got me was every time i went out hunting and i had to unload my complete round i had to dig it out of the port. freaking pain if you ask me.

it's the little things that bug me
What cartridge was that ive had one in 30-06 , 25-06 , and two 22-250( which of course have lots of room) with no issues like that? I could see it in the magnum or wsm possibly
Old 07-21-2015, 03:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
What cartridge was that ive had one in 30-06 , 25-06 , and two 22-250( which of course have lots of room) with no issues like that? I could see it in the magnum or wsm possibly
specifically the 6.5x55 i had was bad for that, it had a very long throat.
Old 07-21-2015, 05:33 PM

I've wasted a lot of time and effort working on remingtons, rugers, winchesters and savages... re-barreling, bedding, truing actions, repacing poorly (wrongly) made parts, full blown trigger jobs, adressing feeding issues, and the list goes on... to make them as good as my Tikka's are out of the box. People can compain about them all they want but the simple fact of the matter is they are very, very well put together. Also the few plastic (composite) parts people complain about are better than metal out in the field. I can gun smith up anything I want but I just end up grabbing one of my Tikka's to hunt with.
Old 07-21-2015, 07:47 PM

New Tikka compact .308 only fired 2 out of 12 with three different factory ammo types. Light primer strikes. It's with a gunsmith and I doubt if I would ever buy another.
Old 07-21-2015, 08:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROA View Post
I've wasted a lot of time and effort working on remingtons, rugers, winchesters and savages... re-barreling, bedding, truing actions, repacing poorly (wrongly) made parts, full blown trigger jobs, adressing feeding issues, and the list goes on... to make them as good as my Tikka's are out of the box. People can compain about them all they want but the simple fact of the matter is they are very, very well put together. Also the few plastic (composite) parts people complain about are better than metal out in the field. I can gun smith up anything I want but I just end up grabbing one of my Tikka's to hunt with.
Thanks for the laugh.
Old 07-21-2015, 08:19 PM

We discussed Tikkas on AO a few months ago. The majority of the complaints were from non Tikka owners. When you can take a factory 270 win T3 to the range with some test loads and shoot a .343" group they can't be all that bad. Trigger breaks crisp and clean and is easily adjustable down to 2lbs. If that is still too heavy you can put a Yodave spring in it to get you down to about 12oz. The bolts feel like they are on roller bearings. As far as I'm concerned you can never own too many Tikkas.
Old 07-21-2015, 08:53 PM

I have a T3 stainless laminated I bought this spring from an AO member. I loaded up some 180 SST backed with 70 gr of IMR 4831. Took it out to sight it in after zeroing the scope it was shooting less than 1" groupings at 200yds off the bench.
Old 07-21-2015, 10:13 PM

I have one in .308 and simply cannot complain. It's hard to beat the tikka's at their current price point, and it won't be my last one.
Old 07-21-2015, 10:54 PM

I love my tikka!
Old 07-21-2015, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtr View Post
You must have quite a grip to see your hits, with a 300..LOL
Yup .You mean you can't ?.Maybe I'm doing something wrong .

Last edited by H380; 07-21-2015 at 11:01 PM.
Old 07-21-2015, 11:03 PM

I have a T3. It's great. VERY light to carry. The plastic parts people dont like about them never fail. I really enjoy the plastic magazine. It never rusts or bends. I've hunted with it in +30 to -30 and nothing ever fails on it. Very accurate. Very smooth action. The stock doesnt scratch easily.

Only down side for me is the ejection port is small. But only once in my life did I have to try to feed rounds through the ejection port.

Put a better recoil pad on them though. As soon as you get it home.
Old 07-22-2015, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntwat View Post
Thanks for the laugh.
Laugh away, ignorance is truly bliss!
Old 07-22-2015, 12:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
Laugh away, ignorance is truly bliss!
I own or have owned them all, plus some others. So, it's not ignorance.
My opinion, so it isn't wrong. Maybe just not agreeable with the minority.
Old 07-22-2015, 12:23 PM

I got a Tikka T3 .270 in stainless and have never had a problem with it. Very accurate right out of the box, light, and i don't find the recoil very bad. Very smooth action too. I would 100% get another.

Just watch when taking the bolt out...if the shroud moves when not in the rifle it is a pain in the ass to turn back in order to slide it back in.
Old 07-22-2015, 12:29 PM

Quote:
That brighten up my day, I love me some comedy, d9nt get me wrong tikkad are great guns but compared to rugers and winchesters lots of people will choose them over a tikka
Old 07-22-2015, 12:36 PM

Love my Tikka 300 WSM,

I think the reason many are for sale is that if people want to try out a certain caliber in a decent rifle and then try it out and decide to sell it and try something else they are easy to sell and you know what you are getting.

Also a few years ago when I bought the WSM I wanted a Win Model 70 and could not get as they were way behind on production....so I took the Tikka instead and once I change recoil pads I love it,

it is a rifle I can carry all day and know when it comes time to use it, it will not fail.

Has many notches in its stock now (figuratively)....

As for they guy talking about not ejecting a hang fire round... well if grizzly charging and I have a dud.... Like I give two chits about the danger of a hangfire... I need to get round 2 in and down the pipe....

There are only two wishes I had with Tikka, one is a proper recoil pad, and two is in the WSM if the action was actually shortened to take full advantage of the WSM cartridge
Old 07-22-2015, 12:42 PM

I am no modern tikka fan, rather a Sako, M70, 700, Win M70 clone or an husky 98. Don't like the small closed action, I like a big open hole, I can drop a round in.
But I have to wonder with the $$$ dropping so far against the US, the US made rifles, are going to very over priced, compaired to euro rifles,
I think tikka sales will be very strong the next few years.
Old 07-22-2015, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernman View Post
I like a big open hole, I can drop a round in.
Hmmmm!... you must be in a minority!....

now what about push feed,

"like throwing a weiner down a hallway!".... also comes to mind
Old 07-22-2015, 01:09 PM

guess, I should have seen a smart ass comment coming, lol.
I got a big gun, bore size not important,
nothing wrong with push feed,

Last edited by southernman; 07-22-2015 at 01:13 PM. Reason: spellin and
Old 07-22-2015, 04:08 PM
Banned

Don't mistake a smooth cycling bolt for one that travels through the action with atrocious and large clearance between the bolt OD and the action ID. Or one that has closer tolerances with OD and ID being a close fit but with superb surface finish.

If you'd like.....plastigage a Tikka bolt/action..

PS: I've been fond of the older Tikka's. 595 and 695 and further back. This new T3 stuff doesn't impress me much.

Last edited by gitrdun; 07-22-2015 at 04:15 PM.
Old 07-22-2015, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernman View Post
guess, I should have seen a smart ass comment coming, lol.
I got a big gun, bore size not important,
nothing wrong with push feed,
All meant in good fun, and I could not resist.... good come back!...

Cheers!
Old 07-24-2015, 04:20 PM

T3 LH 22-250 is the ugliest cobbiest gun in the safe. It is also the most accurate, has the best out of the box trigger ever, and I can throw it behind the seat of the truck without worrying about bruising it. Don't regret the purchase at all. That being said don't get them in a big cal. unless you have a shoulder made of steel.
Old 07-24-2015, 05:02 PM

I like my tikkas. Even my 300, and 7mm are no worse then any other, but they both wear laminate stocks. Only my 223 is the Tupperware version. All 3 are consistently accurate rifles.
Old 07-24-2015, 05:07 PM

Default Trigger

Newer T3's have poor triggers and the innabilty to choose a correct OAL due to magazine and port are serious engineering flaws. The market of used Tikkas reveals this. Oh, the ever pleasant $100 plastic magazine is nice as well.
Most new rifles will shoot 1 " at 100.

Tags
tikka t3