Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 07-22-2009, 05:52 AM

Quote:
30-30 will do anything you need done including moose, buffalo and grizzly, the rest is just trying to interest you into buying something else that's newer, nicer and faster.
Of course the effective range of the 30-30 is much more limited than many other cartridges.For longer range shooting,it is not a great choice.
Old 07-22-2009, 07:10 AM
Banned

It will take deer at around 200 yards and moose out to 100. While that is not long range shooting by any means It is certainly enough range for 95% of the shots I take.
Old 07-22-2009, 08:33 AM

Bass Pro had a Savage combo for less than $400 last time I was in there. I was looking at 243s, but I'm sure they would have other calibers as well.
I agree with the majority saying that the Savage with the accutrigger would be the right choice for what you're describing. For caliber though, I'm not sure I wouldn't just choose 270, 308 or 30-06 as ammo is a lot more affordable and without as punishing of recoil.
My friend has a Savage predator in 223 and I have a Tikka Varmint. We shoot side by side all the time, and the Savage will stay right with my Tikka when it comes to accuracy for hundreds of dollars less. Having said that he's had some reliability issues with it not firing intermittently and sent it to get warranty work done, which didn't fix the problem. Now he's fed up with it and doesn't shoot it anymore.
My Tikka is still shooting as good as the day I bought it.
Just food for thought.
Old 07-22-2009, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal View Post
The man asks about a cheap rig and you give him one that would cost around 1500 bucks.

First of all savages are every bit as good as tikas and cost a 3rd as much. The weatherby vangaurd is another nice gun for a good price. Since you brought it up Chuck Hawks doesnt like Tikka's either. I agree with you on going smaller not being a bad idea, but a 270 weatherby is not a practical choice. 100 rounds of amo would cost you more than a savage rifle. For any begining hunter something in the 7mm-08 range up to a 30-06 is more than enough gun to put down anything in Alberta. When I first started hunting I thought I would someday buy a big magnum, after all the deer and moose I've cleanly killed with the 30-30, 303, and currently the .270win I doubt I will be going much bigger, its just not needed.

The main thing with any pursuit is to just start doing it. The experience is worth so much more than what gear you own. This go's for any activity. Waiting around another year to start hunting because you want a nicer gun is just silly in my opinion. I would not miss a hunting season for any rifle on the planet. Neither would I spend more than I could afford on a rifle and compromise my hunting trips because I could not afford to take the time off work. The gun itself is merely a means to enjoy one of the most challenging and rewarding outdoor activities there is, and judging by the performance of the savage rifles owned by many of my friends you should be able to enjoy a lifetime of hunting with it should you choose to.
What I suggest is buy something nice by adding a little bit more of money.
You buy something nice you are smarter on the long run, you don't have to sale it and loose money to buy again something better.

Tikka and Savage ....both kill... but nicer... is tikka.
This is what I say not Chuck I was talking about caliber choice when I mentioned Chuck.

I have finished my post with the savage and stevens according to the stock preference.

The guy has a 30-30 so he is not missing his season.

I can say whatever I think will be helpful to him from my experience and if you disagree ...well it's your opinion but judging mine it's not polite for you to do.

Please read the posts before picking on my piece of advice.
Old 07-22-2009, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Using a dollar sign,would have cleared that up.

The 270WBY is a good cartridge,but factory loads are extremely limited in selection,and they are very expensive.If the person is looking at economy guns,as this person is,it only makes sense that he doesn't want to spend a great deal more for ammunition.
True, but I was in a hurry.
I thought he will understand that we are talking about money here since it is the main subject of the post.

270WBY is not what I rec. I was saying there are other calibers better on paper.
Old 07-22-2009, 12:27 PM

My son is 10yrs old. He has a Stevens 200 in .243. It is original, no modifications to it.

He put a Leupold VX1 3x9x40 ($320) on it.

He shot a 2" group at 300yds with it. Factory ammo.

I doubt he will ever part with that rifle. For the $650 dollar mark, complete, I think he made a good choice.

True, cheaper usually means just that. But I think the Model 200 is a very good choice. At least it was in our case.

7mm rem mag is a good choice too.
Old 07-22-2009, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by u_cant_rope_the_wind View Post
heck for that matters a 22 will drop a moose like a ton of bricks at the right angle and range but its not recomended
i also understand that hunting big game with a rimfire is illegal! double time...not recommended!

Last edited by DiggsNWT; 07-22-2009 at 12:48 PM. Reason: sp error
Old 07-22-2009, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by u_cant_rope_the_wind View Post
heck for that matters a 22 will drop a moose like a ton of bricks at the right angle and range but its not recomended
Ever trying peeing into the wind? Your comments are at times just as painful to look at.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetski View Post
30-30 will do anything you need done including moose, buffalo and grizzly, the rest is just trying to interest you into buying something else that's newer, nicer and faster.

This I agree with. Use a good 170gr load and keep it under 150yds (not too hard with most slough donkeys). I would say Stevens with the rest of the guys and get a descent scope on it.
Old 07-22-2009, 02:53 PM

x2 on savages and stevens. They did their homework and went after a value minded portion of the market. You can get into good glass, a sling and a crate of ammo for the same price as some of the more tricked out rifles.

BTW (shooting experience trumps a nice rifle)
Old 07-22-2009, 08:09 PM

Hey Guys Thanks for the input, I got allot more response then I thought I would. I think I'll do what seems to be the common idea here for what I want to spend I'm going to go with the savage or stevens, the only difference I've noticed is the detachable mag. I got to handle one in P&D the other day and I think that rifle might be a little light for a 7mm mag so I might rethink the caliber.
as for all you guys who said spend a little more money believe me I hear you loud and clear, but with the wife going back to school it might be a while (as in maybe 4 years) till I can buy the Sako,Remmington,Tikka with a nice big Leupold like I eventually want, and being as I don't want to be out there limited to the 100-150 meters that my 30-30 realisticly limits me to I'm gonna suck it up buy what will work for now and just keep on dreamin for that nice rig I'm gonna get someday
Old 07-22-2009, 08:51 PM
Banned

Another difference is that stevens do not come with the acutrigger. But if your shooting a 30-30 chances are your used to a bad trigger anyways.
Old 07-24-2009, 05:25 PM

I just bought a Mossberg 4x4 in a .270" Winchester for my wife, and mounted a Leupold 4-12 on it. She is on the bullseye at 100, 200, and two inches off at 300, using the mil dot reticle, and shooting 130 grain Federal. That is the most impressive "cheap" gun I've ever bought!