Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-15-2013, 06:56 AM

The premise is wrong. If manufacturers and retailers want me to see their stuff I shouldn't have to pay 40 bucks to do so. Take the wife, pay for parking and the door charge, it's not the money,it's the premise. It's like paying Shaw extra money to watch the commercials. Crap.
Old 03-15-2013, 07:01 AM

Default sport show

Agreed, 1000 quads, 200 ski and wake boats, 40 pontoons and a few dozen fishing boats ....... lot's of guides, resorts and very few other interesting things to see.

Is the mini doughnut stand still there?
Old 03-15-2013, 07:05 AM

Thumbs up Trade Show

There is lots of cool deals to be had. Fishin'Hole has lots of good deals.
Stop by there booth to say hello to Bait Button Girl located in hall "B"
Old 03-15-2013, 07:21 AM

I really don't know what show you guys are going to see, the one at the Expo center is awesome. I really don't know how much more outdoorsman you can get without actually going outdoors. Every type of quad is there, lots of fishing boats, lots of dispays featuring fish and game associations, There is acchery setups, shooting displays, lots of guided fishing outfits, just about everthing outdoors you can imagine. When I go to a show like this and then read comments on here about how bad it is it really convinces me that a lot of people on here aren't happy unless they are sitting in their basements playing ultimate hunter on their Xbox's. Meeting Jamie Hunt was worth the price of admission alone, awesome guy to visit with! And then there are the Amsoil girls! And Cody's girlfriend!

Last edited by 4thredneck; 03-15-2013 at 07:33 AM.
Old 03-15-2013, 07:56 AM

X2 Don't go if its not your thing. Met quite a few AO members as well. Couldn't look at any gals as the guard was with me. Print a map off the net before going. Hard to find some of the booths without it if you're looking for specifics.
Old 03-15-2013, 08:17 AM

My boy and I shall be there today.
Even if all of it is not your cup of tea, if we do not support the show it will be gone and then the masses will be complaining how they miss it.
This has happened in many urban centres and we should strive to ensure it does not happen here.
Shows like this produce attendece numbers that agencies including the provinicial gov look at. We need to show that we has a sportsman community still have #s that are relevant enough to have a voice.
Just IMHO and this a $2 will get you an extra large Double/Double.
Old 03-15-2013, 09:13 AM

Came back with a package from AM member Bagwan........a super guy who went out of his way to help me. Thanks Lorne. Didn't check the bag until I got home.......there was more in there than I knew. I owe you.

Yes, The Fishing Hole had lots of good deals. Left there with some tackle, line, a bait caster and two rods. The floor plan is pretty much what it has been for a few years.......with Barton's and Swamp Donkey in the same locations. As mentioned above, you get nickle and dimed just getting into the halls (parking and admission), so my advice is spend lots of money.........it's the only way to save lol. Last year I bought a Yamaha 550 from the E&S display. I forget which radio station it was......I wasn't paying attention to any signs lol........due to the show one of the girls was providing us

Talked to Jamie at booth 414 (I think) as well. First time meeting him. Good man with a great business. I've never been to sea, Billy arghhhh
Old 03-15-2013, 09:13 AM

My kids and I and a friend were there yesterday afternoon, got to meet Terry Grant, talked to him a bit, bought his book. Got a ice fishing rod combo at the fishing hole booth. Managed to buy my daughter a couple things for her bday. Watched the outdoor quest group, Cody Robbins narrarate his and his wifes elk hunt. Bought some tickets for Guns, bows and quads. It was a good time. Walked in to save the parking fee. Beat the rush and it was a nice relaxed walk through.
Old 03-15-2013, 09:39 AM
Banned

WILLIE AND KOREY!!!! Duck Dynasty, The Robertsons, the ones who single handedly rekindled the Redneck Revolution is gonna be there! Even my mother, who's idea of roughing it is a 3-1/2 star hotel waits in anticipation for the new episodes, same as my sister, who hasen't camped since the early 80's loves the show.

The show only comes to town once a year! It's worth the price of admission just to hear guys whine about it as far as I'm concerned. I can't wait to go, the boss says we can book a fishing trip while we're there. Now I know how most women feel when they have a $5000 gift card for WEM!!!
Old 03-15-2013, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thredneck View Post
I really don't know what show you guys are going to see, the one at the Expo center is awesome. I really don't know how much more outdoorsman you can get without actually going outdoors. Every type of quad is there, lots of fishing boats, lots of dispays featuring fish and game associations, There is acchery setups, shooting displays, lots of guided fishing outfits, just about everthing outdoors you can imagine. When I go to a show like this and then read comments on here about how bad it is it really convinces me that a lot of people on here aren't happy unless they are sitting in their basements playing ultimate hunter on their Xbox's. Meeting Jamie Hunt was worth the price of admission alone, awesome guy to visit with! And then there are the Amsoil girls! And Cody's girlfriend!
I think the difference is the show is no longer excussively caters to hunters and fisherman. The guys that have been going for years (myself included) do miss the days where it was truly an outdoorsmans show. Now its more of a boat show, an more of recreational boat show, than anything. If you werent at the show 20 years ago you have no idea how much different it really is.
Old 03-15-2013, 10:17 AM

Default propane adapter

Jungleboy were abouts was the booth that u got that adapter at for your propane ?
Old 03-15-2013, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
Hey, that's fantastic!
I will personally be there all weekend.

Jamie
I'll be stopping by your booth tonight Jamie!! I'm looking forward to going to your beautiful lodge this summer and catch a tyee!!!
Old 03-15-2013, 10:21 AM

Say hi to Ian White, hes with the Scotty boys
Old 03-15-2013, 10:41 AM

bigeyes10 The adapters are about booth 210. Alpineman is at 204 and the adapters are about five booths away on the opposite side. I bought one as well. Randy, you don't owe me. Thats a gift to get you started. If I use all the primers at home I'll be farther out in the pasture.
Old 03-15-2013, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmatei View Post
The premise is wrong. If manufacturers and retailers want me to see their stuff I shouldn't have to pay 40 bucks to do so. Take the wife, pay for parking and the door charge, it's not the money,it's the premise. It's like paying Shaw extra money to watch the commercials. Crap.
So don't go....... But if the parking lot has 3 feet of snow and ruts all over it and the bathrooms are filty and garbages are overflowing and floors are dirty you will be the first one to b#$ch. People don't work for free bud.
You can see almost all of the vendors at their own places of business (spread out throughout the city and or prov(s). Or under one roof at the show.
Point is there is something there for all Sportsmen/women....some more than others. Will 100% of the people be happy? Never.
Take the time to talk to different people, make new contacts and there are several presentations on the stage! 40.00 for what can be a few hours of time is pretty cheap entertainment in my eyes! I drove down from Whitecourt picked up my son who's attending NAIT and took in the show for a couple hours and drove back. Talked to Cody and Kelsey, briefly with Rich and TJ, worth the trip in my mind right there. I enjoyed it.
Old 03-15-2013, 11:21 AM

Is Cody going to be there Saturday?
Old 03-15-2013, 11:29 AM

Heading down his afterenoon.
Kids are in late teens / early 20's now, could cost 4 of us $50+ at the gate, ugghh.
So do we get $2 admin off by showing our WIN cards ?

TBark
Old 03-15-2013, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigeyes10 View Post
Jungleboy were abouts was the booth that u got that adapter at for your propane ?
I think it was in hall D ( the last one where all the Fish and game clubs are set up)

His card says :

EZ fill Propane coupler
MacCoupler
Old 03-15-2013, 12:00 PM
Banned

This is Alberta. If you don't own a jet boat, 2 quads and 2 snowmobiles, you are not a proper outdoorsman.

Seriously, if you are paying to go to a temple of shopping, don't criticize it for being a temple of shopping. Its Bridal Fantasy for guys - lots of businesses trying to extract money from you with high end luxury goods you don't need to enjoy the outdoors.

I've been in the past, but I agree, its getting a bit steep to have to pay to have people sell me stuff.
Old 03-15-2013, 12:14 PM
Banned

i will not be going to the show but if some fellow member would be kind enough to pick up one of those e-z propane valves that you can use to refill your 1 lbs. bottle from a 20 lbs. i would gladly pick it up and repay you. thanks. please pm.
Old 03-15-2013, 12:19 PM
Banned

does anyone know if the booth where you can take the test for your boat operaters licsence is there this year?
Old 03-15-2013, 12:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterninja View Post
does anyone know if the booth where you can take the test for your boat operaters licsence is there this year?
Yes it is

Jamie
Old 03-15-2013, 12:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBark View Post
Heading down his afterenoon.
Kids are in late teens / early 20's now, could cost 4 of us $50+ at the gate, ugghh.
So do we get $2 admin off by showing our WIN cards ?

TBark
Tbark, i have some tickets for you. Get in touch
Here is the link
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=171369
Thanks
Jamie

403-813-2704
Old 03-15-2013, 12:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopperman View Post
So don't go....... But if the parking lot has 3 feet of snow and ruts all over it and the bathrooms are filty and garbages are overflowing and floors are dirty you will be the first one to b#$ch. People don't work for free bud.
You can see almost all of the vendors at their own places of business (spread out throughout the city and or prov(s). Or under one roof at the show.
Point is there is something there for all Sportsmen/women....some more than others. Will 100% of the people be happy? Never.
Take the time to talk to different people, make new contacts and there are several presentations on the stage! 40.00 for what can be a few hours of time is pretty cheap entertainment in my eyes! I drove down from Whitecourt picked up my son who's attending NAIT and took in the show for a couple hours and drove back. Talked to Cody and Kelsey, briefly with Rich and TJ, worth the trip in my mind right there. I enjoyed it.
I always enjoy the show as well, maybe all naysayers should save their money, heard there is a Justin Bieber concert coming.LOL
Old 03-15-2013, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBark View Post
So do we get $2 admin off by showing our WIN cards ?TBark
You can also print off a $2.00 coupon here.

There's also a family rate (two adults/two children) for $36.00 which should save some of us some cash as well.

Hope to meet some of you there tomorrow!
Old 03-15-2013, 12:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleboy View Post
I think it was in hall D ( the last one where all the Fish and game clubs are set up)

His card says :

EZ fill Propane coupler
MacCoupler

Hall A by swamp donkey?
Old 03-15-2013, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by purgatory.sv View Post
Hall A by swamp donkey?
That sounds about right. Guess i shoulda payed more attention
Old 03-15-2013, 02:06 PM

You guys wanting those propane adapters have to be aware that things are not always smooth when you refill the one pounders.
I find that 1 in 5 refills have a bad, stuck check valve when you uncouple after refilling.
So you had better have a lantern of stove nearby that you can screw the leaking bottle into. Use it, mark it as bad and recycle it when it is MT again.
Also, chill the one pounders and ambient or sunshine heat the 20 lb, so low pressure / temp fills from higher pressure / temp.
Scale or eye ball, apprx the amt in the bottle, less tare, 650 - 750 gram I believe is 2/3 - 3/4 fill is max, if you over fill which is easy from a near full 20 pounder, use some of it quick.
I used the 30 sec rule from a near fill 20, and 1 min when 20 is less than half.
GoOd luck but be careful. Retailer selling these will likley not be liable for any mistakes people may make.

TBark
Old 03-15-2013, 02:08 PM

Quote:
You dont have to go. Its pretty simple. But where else can you get to see all these things and get hands on at one location?
Old 03-15-2013, 02:58 PM

Quote:
You do realize the retailers have nothingto do with ticket prices eh? If anything the retailers lose
More money than anyone