Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-20-2021, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Trav View Post
I said come up with a better plan. The ideas I'm sure you're referring to are not a better plan...
Who decides what plan is better? I know for a fact I could come up with a plan that is far and away better than this. As I said though your opinion may differ. Mine would get results.
Old 07-20-2021, 06:57 AM

I’m all for it. But I’d sure like to see a three strikes and you’re out rule in the justice system. With out not being 3 square meals and a warm bed.
Old 07-20-2021, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Yeah lets just keep going with the status quo, lord knows its been working. Too bad the enlightened ones here can't come up with a better plan to deal with the problem we face together as a society. There's alot more to it then just people wanting to get high but its sad so many can't see that...
As someone who lost his job over a year ago and has received zero government assistance, now nearly bankrupt, are you saying it's OK for me to start doing drugs because that's just what people do when life gets hard and that's OK??

I'm sorry but when people turn to drugs or alcohol or other addictions there is no justifiable excuse. None. It's just a way for people to forget about their problems.

Getting people the mental help they need is way more cost effective than continually supplying someone with the addiction. If addicts keep getting their fix they will never recover.
Old 07-20-2021, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperMOA View Post
Who decides what plan is better? I know for a fact I could come up with a plan that is far and away better than this. As I said though your opinion may differ. Mine would get results.
My plan is simple. Rubber room 30 days sweat it out unreasonable and dirty? Let's do 60. Meals tv toilet and shower provided, when clean you pay the costs, and it's not a hundred grand or more.
Prison style work camp.
Have the prisons send junkees there as well, same treatment.
No visitors, no contact with any people at all, no chance of obtaining drugs, no alcohol, since you are on the road to the cemetery this is the last shot.

Too rough? Too bad. I bet Sheriff Joe would agree with me.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 07-20-2021, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
My plan is simple. Rubber room 30 days sweat it out unreasonable and dirty? Let's do 60. Meals tv toilet and shower provided, when clean you pay the costs, and it's not a hundred grand or more.
Prison style work camp.
No visitors, no contact with any people at all, no chance of obtaining drugs, no alcohol, since you are on the road to the cemetery this is the last shot.

KC1 agrees with you.
Old 07-20-2021, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Too bad the enlightened ones here can't come up with a better plan to deal with the problem we face together as a society.
I cannot condone giving out free drugs but I wouldn't mind so much if they made all drugs free. Provide the drugs needed for diabetes, cancer, etc. At least the users of those drugs do not want to continue using.

Burglar: Aren't you going to call the cops?
Farmer: Why? Nobody knows you're here
Old 07-20-2021, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Prison style work camp.

Sounds like a great idea…except it doesn’t work. Drug dependence is more complicated than that. If it was a simple fix it would BE fixed, not one program on earth can cure an addict.
Old 07-20-2021, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Prison style work camp.

100% with you on this
Old 07-20-2021, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Prison style work camp.

And while they are there, they aren't committing crimes or threatening society. And protecting society is the top priority for me.
Banned

Quote:
Prison style work camp.

So you would treat anyone with a disease like this ? We provide medical care to everyone, why would we punish those with addiction as a disease ?

Addiction comes in many form, there are those who have ten of thousands of posts on social media platforms...

Jim

Quote:
Prison style work camp.

^^ Ding Ding ^^
The above is the only 'kind' thing that 'may' steer them back onto the correct road!
Old 07-20-2021, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplefarmer View Post
So you would treat anyone with a disease like this ? We provide medical care to everyone, why would we punish those with addiction as a disease ?

Addiction comes in many form, there are those who have ten of thousands of posts on social media platforms...

Jim
Not all addicts, just all addicts that commit crimes. I really don't care if someone abuses drugs, but when they start commiting crimes and threatening the public, the first priority should be ending the threat to the public, and stopping the criminal activity. It's no different than alcoholism, if you drink yourself to death, without threatening the public, I really don't care, but when you get behind the wheel of a motor vehicle while drunk, action needs to be taken.
Old 07-20-2021, 09:31 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Not all addicts, just all addicts that commit crimes. I really don't care if someone abuses drugs, but when they start commiting crimes and threatening the public, the first priority should be ending the threat to the public, and stopping the criminal activity. It's no different than alcoholism, if you drink yourself to death, without threatening the public, I really don't care, but when you get behind the wheel of a motor vehicle while drunk, action needs to be taken.
Alcohol related criminal offences in Canada far outweigh the drugs related.

Jim
Old 07-20-2021, 09:35 AM

Quote:

Jim
And in both cases, the first priority should be protecting the public from the offenders. We don’t hand out free alcohol to the alcoholics thinking that it will solve the problem, so why do it for drug addicts?
Old 07-20-2021, 09:44 AM

Quote:

Jim
You think I am talking about people in the hospitals and suffering at home with things like heart disease, cancer, influenza, covid, et-al who are not out robbing people and businesses, mugging people, looting, squatting, killing people, killing themselves, causing millions of dollars of loss and costs yearly?

What a stupid reply. My 4 year old grandson could come up with a better song than the garbage you sing. Tell me with a straight face you didn't vote Liberal.

It is a chosen ailment UNLESS they are a FAS kid or raised in an environment where instead of a juicebox they were handed a joint. If they had no chance as a child it is not their fault, but must be dealt with at some point.

It is an addicts choice 100% to stick snort smoke eat drink the garbage, that is not a disease. It is labelled a disease when families start crying about the loss of a loved one, and when there is money to be made by Pharma.

Slant it anyway you want, but the truth is DRUG and alcohol addictions are for the most part a choice. A stupid choice that costs everyone else.

I have never caught heroin addiction from someone sneezing on me, never been high from being touched by a user. I have caught colds, flu, had bronchitis and pulmonary edema from firefighting, but believe it or not have never once had to seek counselling or been admitted to a hospital because I was infected by someone doing drugs. I will at some point likely die of cancer, it took my mom and sister, grandmother. I have never had a cigarette in my mouth, never tried any drugs, and have been drunk 1 time in my life, in 1985. I have no ailments, no prescriptions, but having been a firefighter for 40 years I know what will kill me, cancer of the lungs.

So yes, I would absolutely take criminals alcoholics and addicts into month long isolation to sweat it out. Without hesitation or remorse.

I have a friend that has struggled with alcoholism for decades. He himself told me the only thing that ever straightened him up was this very thing. He went to a center in the States where they locked him up for 2 weeks, and he literally sweated it out. He said it was so awful he never wanted to drink again.

2-6 weeks of suffering or a lifetime of it, what is worse?

I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 07-20-2021, 09:45 AM

Quote:

Jim
So?

A lesser evil negates the worser one?

Got some point?

Old 07-20-2021, 10:00 AM

Default just more idiocy from the B.C. goverenment

the blind helping the blind
Old 07-20-2021, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrollGRG View Post
I cannot condone giving out free drugs but I wouldn't mind so much if they made all *prescription, life saving* drugs free. Provide the drugs needed for diabetes, cancer, etc. At least the users of those drugs do not want to continue using.
*fixed it for you*

Old 07-20-2021, 10:37 AM

Quote:
You think I am talking about people in the hospitals and suffering at home with things like heart disease, cancer, influenza, covid, et-al who are not out robbing people and businesses, mugging people, looting, squatting, killing people, killing themselves, causing millions of dollars of loss and costs yearly?

What a stupid reply. My 4 year old grandson could come up with a better song than the garbage you sing. Tell me with a straight face you didn't vote Liberal.

It is a chosen ailment UNLESS they are a FAS kid or raised in an environment where instead of a juicebox they were handed a joint. If they had no chance as a child it is not their fault, but must be dealt with at some point.

It is an addicts choice 100% to stick snort smoke eat drink the garbage, that is not a disease. It is labelled a disease when families start crying about the loss of a loved one, and when there is money to be made by Pharma.

Slant it anyway you want, but the truth is DRUG and alcohol addictions are for the most part a choice. A stupid choice that costs everyone else.

I have never caught heroin addiction from someone sneezing on me, never been high from being touched by a user. I have caught colds, flu, had bronchitis and pulmonary edema from firefighting, but believe it or not have never once had to seek counselling or been admitted to a hospital because I was infected by someone doing drugs. I will at some point likely die of cancer, it took my mom and sister, grandmother. I have never had a cigarette in my mouth, never tried any drugs, and have been drunk 1 time in my life, in 1985. I have no ailments, no prescriptions, but having been a firefighter for 40 years I know what will kill me, cancer of the lungs.

So yes, I would absolutely take criminals alcoholics and addicts into month long isolation to sweat it out. Without hesitation or remorse.

I have a friend that has struggled with alcoholism for decades. He himself told me the only thing that ever straightened him up was this very thing. He went to a center in the States where they locked him up for 2 weeks, and he literally sweated it out. He said it was so awful he never wanted to drink again.

2-6 weeks of suffering or a lifetime of it, what is worse?
You know you could go to a party or a bar and a dealer could get you addicted in about 10 minutes. That’s a fact and it happens a lot more than “we” realize.
I know a successful guy who lost his business and his home by getting slipped something by a beautiful girl at a house party. She became his dealer and he lost it all.

That first hit of crack or fentanyl is so overpowering and so good feeling that it’s immediately and forever addicting.

It’s not a matter of just waiting it out for a week until the detox is over, it’s a lifelong thing. I’ve seen lots of it in my job and it’s truly not as easy a “saying no.”

One girl I had in class, had an incredibly high IQ… great gal. Engaging, fun to talk to, smart enough to know better. She got divorced, lost everything, ended up on the streets, and eventually one day something happened. Then she became an addict. She’s clean now but talking to her or others like her is a hell of a wake up call.

That’s the thing we see addicts as “other than” or scum… and think theyre such losers for becoming addicts. It could be your kid, your mom, your brother and it could happen so dammed easily.

There’s simply no easy answer for addiction. The Russians and Chinese have “tough love” programs, these don’t help anymore than our programs do.
Old 07-20-2021, 10:46 AM

We've accomplished nothing with drug prohibition other than to create multi-billion dollar criminal organizations. I'd call that a failure and no amount of policing will fix that issue. Its a social issue that's often overlooked in Canada. There were about 6000 overdose deaths in Canada last year vs 15,000 Covid deaths. Guess which one you probably heard about more on the news though? That's 6000 preventable deaths. 6000 people who were a massive burden on our healthcare system likely for years and that costs a lot of money. We keep punishing the users, not the dealers or distributers. Notice how no province stopped selling booze during the pandemic? Because people with alcohol addiction would be dying in droves.

If these programs help users find an outlet for help while also screwing over dealers id call that a win. Good on you for only drinking once Ken but not everyone is like you, if you have never been in the circle of substance abuse you just wont get what its like to be an addict.. where your life revolves around getting that fix. Not everyone has a good job like a being a firefighter, has lived out of poverty most their life, and has had a good family around them, IMO you're a lucky one.
Old 07-20-2021, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
You know you could go to a party or a bar and a dealer could get you addicted in about 10 minutes. That’s a fact and it happens a lot more than “we” realize.
I know a successful guy who lost his business and his home by getting slipped something by a beautiful girl at a house party. She became his dealer and he lost it all. That first hit of crack or fentanyl is so overpowering and so good feeling that it’s immediately and forever addicting. It’s not a matter of just waiting it out for a week until the detox is over, it’s a lifelong thing. I’ve seen lots of it in my job and it’s truly not as easy a “saying no.” One girl I had in class, had an incredibly high IQ… great gal. Engaging, fun to talk to, smart enough to know better. She got divorced, lost everything, ended up on the streets, and eventually one day something happened. Then she became an addict. She’s clean now but talking to her or others like her is a hell of a wake up call. That’s the thing we see addicts as “other than” or scum… and think theyre such losers for becoming addicts. It could be your kid, your mom, your brother and it could happen so dammed easily.

There’s simply no easy answer for addiction. The Russians and Chinese have “tough love” programs, these don’t help anymore than our programs do.
Good reply. Too often I forget about the scumbags that cause this damage. They are the reason capital punishment needs to come back. Ruin a life lose yours.

You are correct, it is not always the fault of the addict.

But, and I stand by this, a massive % of the time it is the addict's choice. I know too many, have dealt with many.

Old 07-20-2021, 11:22 AM

Yes we need a better plan. Death penalty for drug dealers.

"Me neither but it's all in the eye of the beer holder"
norwestalta

.....out of bounds.....but funny none the less!

LC

"Funny how when a bear eats another bear, no one bats an eye, but......

when a human eats another human, people act like it's the end if the friggin world. News coverage, tweets, blogs, outrage, Piers Morgan etcetc.

Go figure." -Huntinstuff
Old 07-20-2021, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Good reply. Too often I forget about the scumbags that cause this damage. They are the reason capital punishment needs to come back. Ruin a life lose yours.

But, and I stand by this, a massive % of the time it is the addict's choice. I know too many, have dealt with many.
I can almost guarantee that not one addict woke up one day and said "Today, I'm going to become an addict". Addiction is much more complex than that and the majority didn't choose it.
Old 07-20-2021, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sporty View Post
i can almost guarantee that not one addict woke up one day and said "today, i'm going to become an addict". Addiction is much more complex than that and the majority didn't choose it.
^^^^ truth ^^^^
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 07-20-2021, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporty View Post
I can almost guarantee that not one addict woke up one day and said "Today, I'm going to become an addict". Addiction is much more complex than that and the majority didn't choose it.
Talk to a recovered addict then tell us what was said.

Any I have spoken to say they want to quit but have trouble doing it on their own. They agree a rubber room is far more humane than what they go through.

Our government is far more focused on buying votes with happy addicts than it is in fixing the problems.

Ever person that has not done drugs was by their own choice. The same is true the other way.

Old 07-20-2021, 12:59 PM

Quote:

Ken I agree with you 100% I deal with these people every day at my work and you are correct in the fact that a choice was made and the liberal mentality is poor addict lets supply them with what is destroying them and everyone close to them with their self destructive decisions. Lets supply alcoholics with liquor and send all the gambling addicts to Vegas "Brilliant reasoning"
Old 07-20-2021, 01:01 PM

Quote:
And this has what to do with supplying them with what is killing them
Old 07-20-2021, 01:28 PM

Quote:

Many scumbags in the medical community who turned their patients into addicts with prescription opioids and then cut them off without any type of supports. Even those who did not abuse their prescriptions are physically addicted and will go through severe withdrawal symptoms. There is alot of information out there about how Oxy helped contribute to the current opioid crisis. Combined with the lack of services out there for both addictions and mental health problems. Most addicts can't afford treatment and government funded treatment programs are not long enough and still lack after care once they're finished with the 30 days. They're kicked back out onto the streets without follow up care.
Old 07-20-2021, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Many scumbags in the medical community who turned their patients into addicts with prescription opioids and then cut them off without any type of supports. Even those who did not abuse their prescriptions are physically addicted and will go through severe withdrawal symptoms. There is alot of information out there about how Oxy helped contribute to the current opioid crisis. Combined with the lack of services out there for both addictions and mental health problems. Most addicts can't afford treatment and government funded treatment programs are not long enough and still lack after care once they're finished with the 30 days. They're kicked back out onto the streets without follow up care.
There's a few good documentaries on oxycontin and opioids how the government in the pharmaceutical companies were just pumping them out to people without any care for for anybody it was all about the dollar

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 07-20-2021, 02:06 PM

Quote:

You are going so far as to blame the majority of illicit drug addiction on doctors? That's quite the stretch.
These are not generally the people living in tents robbing kids bikes stealing vehicles and dpf"s to sell to get a fix.
Go in to Lethbridge and ask addicts where they started their ride down the razor blade covered hill.

I still remember driving past the old sears building in Vancouver, which was completely taken over by young well dressed homeless drug users with iphones and expensive outdoor furniture.

They made the choice to live this way, as much as you do not want to believe it they like being addicts.