Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-20-2011, 08:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoteman View Post
Heh u can't rope the wind,

What the hell are you talking about ???? Everyday they put on the uniform they are putting their life on the line ... that's so you and I can live a normal life and stay protected as we go about our normal days business. I work in the penal system in Sask. I watched one of buds get stabbed in the arm trying to break up a fight between 2 inmates .... his results are ... positive for Hep. C. a real nice thing to have to live with.
I'd hate to have you try to interven If someone on the street was in trouble ... get a life...
hey... your buddy signed up for that line of work.... thems the risks involved... unfortunately he got the ****ty end of the stick... but he was doing his job... my dad cut his thumb off working on the farm... but thems the risks involved

i have the utmost respect for anyone who puts their life on the line everyday to make others safe... no respect for those who abuse this power
Old 01-20-2011, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacob1202 View Post
hey... your buddy signed up for that line of work.... thems the risks involved...
We are lucky yoteman's buddy signed up ... It does not sound like that many people are interested in this line of work anymore. Why would they:

Citizens make pig noises when the Cops walk in to the room, why every other job is just as important, Policing is a profession that is held to the highest standard. The Plumbers Union does not make the nightly news when a bad apple makes himself known.

The Point is: despite the fact that policing is one of many hard working professions in Canada ... Police Man are held to a much higher standard than, Farmers, Oil field workers, Farmers etc. Police Officers are constantly under the scrutiny of the Public ... and they should be ... we demand a lot out of them, they have an extremely important job. In fact we demand more from a police officer than we do from our selves. This why we do not hear about Oil Field workers that get charged with Impaired Driving or beat up their wives.

I Challenge the Nay Sayers to meet the standards that the police are expected to meet on a daily basis. Yes some bad apples slip thru the cracks. And 95% of Cops want to see them find another line of work.

Go to another thread to bash the cops please!

Folks this thread is about giving kudo's to our boys in blue. Lets leave the negativity out here (not classy). Especially since a fallen officer (Toronto) was recently put to rest.

Thanks to all the positive posts!
Old 01-20-2011, 08:47 PM
Banned

Folks this thread is about giving kudo's to our boys in blue. Lets leave the negativity out here (not classy). Especially since a fallen officer (Toronto) was recently put to rest.

Thanks to all the positive posts![/QUOTE]

i guess u didnt read underneath the part you highlighted and quoted... its ok we all make mistakes
Old 01-20-2011, 08:48 PM

Good post Trigg!

I have a ton of respect for cops. I know a few of them and have heard some of their horror stories. There are good cops and there are bad cops, the good cops are the ones deserving the respect, the bad cops should be weeded out and dismissed.
I have no use for the power trippers who think they're greater than thou.

Lets hope those cops are few and far between.
Old 01-20-2011, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacob1202 View Post

Thanks to all the positive posts!

i guess u didnt read underneath the part you highlighted and quoted... its ok we all make mistakes
No Mistake

Sorry ... considering the circumstance that you quoted ... I do not see a police officer (Correctional Officers included) being stabbed in a federal prison being compared to farmer loosing his thumb. The Farmer (God Bless em cause we need em) was involved in an accident .... Somebody was trying to kill the Police Officer. I think it is very different ... IMO

I would loose my mind if people were talking about our Canadian Soldiers the way we are talking about our Canadian Police Officers. I think they serve the same function

Last edited by Ramblinman; 01-20-2011 at 09:04 PM. Reason: bad quote
Old 01-20-2011, 09:58 PM
Gone Hunting

Yeah, those are the risks. But they are risks I wouldn't want to take.
If anyone thinks being a cop is no big thing, let them step up and apply for the job.

It takes a very special person to be a GOOD cop, and I have been privileged to meet a few of them. Like my trapping partner, and my facebook friend.

The way I see it, there are risks with any job. But no job entails dealing with the tragedy's of life, the victims and the victimizers, the danger and negativity, to anywhere close to what the average policeman has to deal with almost daily.

I don't bow to any cop, but I do tip my hat to all those who chose law enforcement as a profession. Be they policemen and police women, sheriffs, jail guards, or Fish & Wildlife. Even to those who failed to do their job in whatever way.
At least they had the guts to give it a try.

Yes even the Kamloops officer featured in the recent video.
If it is found that he used excessive force, he should loose his job.
But out of respect for the good work he has done, I think that would be sufficient.
Yeah I know, if I had done the same thing I'd be in jail right now. Maybe true, but I have not had people spit in my face because I caught them breaking the law. I'd bet this officer has. As has most.
Old 01-20-2011, 10:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramblinman View Post
No Mistake

Sorry ... considering the circumstance that you quoted ... I do not see a police officer (Correctional Officers included) being stabbed in a federal prison being compared to farmer loosing his thumb. The Farmer (God Bless em cause we need em) was involved in an accident .... Somebody was trying to kill the Police Officer. I think it is very different ... IMO

I would loose my mind if people were talking about our Canadian Soldiers the way we are talking about our Canadian Police Officers. I think they serve the same function
why is it any different? both doing their jobs... both succumbed to the risks of their jobs... oh and someone was trying to kill him??? i thought he was trying to stop a fight? the original post said he was trying to stop a fight right???your opinion just lost all credibility ... and if u think that our soldiers...(rip jamie kyle and ken) serve the same function as our police officers you are sadly mistaken my freind...
Old 01-21-2011, 06:41 AM

Jacob: Farmers are generally not murdered in their line of work, spit on or yelled at, stabbed etc, in their work.
Old 01-21-2011, 12:29 PM

Jacob,

I think that farmers do an excellent job at what they do. Sorry your father lost his thumb. I believe the difference between what a police officer does compared to most professions is they at times have to deal with people that intentionally choose to harm them or intervene when a member of the public is being harmed. They have to purposefully insert them themselves into very dangerous and harmful situations where most people would be running the other way. Everything they do is scrutinized under a microscope and posted in the media. In most cases the officer has split seconds to react and make a decision that could affect him for the rest of his career. I can`t say for sure not knowing the story of how your father lost his thumb, I don`t think someone was intentionally trying to harm him. Probably an accident of some sort.

Are there hazards at most jobs, you bet. Do people have to put up with others crap at work, you bet. But do you have to be yelled at, spit at, disrespected, tell a family member of a deceased loved one, perform your job at the highest level when you know that there is a family of 3 dead in that accident your investigating.

I think everyone should be proud of what they do and I have no problem telling emergency workers that I am proud of what they do and thank them for doing a great job.
Old 01-21-2011, 12:40 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mini-moose View Post
Jacob,

I think that farmers do an excellent job at what they do. Sorry your father lost his thumb. I believe the difference between what a police officer does compared to most professions is they at times have to deal with people that intentionally choose to harm them or intervene when a member of the public is being harmed. They have to purposefully insert them themselves into very dangerous and harmful situations where most people would be running the other way. Everything they do is scrutinized under a microscope and posted in the media. In most cases the officer has split seconds to react and make a decision that could affect him for the rest of his career. I can`t say for sure not knowing the story of how your father lost his thumb, I don`t think someone was intentionally trying to harm him. Probably an accident of some sort.

Are there hazards at most jobs, you bet. Do people have to put up with others crap at work, you bet. But do you have to be yelled at, spit at, disrespected, tell a family member of a deceased loved one, perform your job at the highest level when you know that there is a family of 3 dead in that accident your investigating.

I think everyone should be proud of what they do and I have no problem telling emergency workers that I am proud of what they do and thank them for doing a great job.
yeah you guys are right... they do take alot of ****... and im not saying that i disrespect them in any way... im only saying that they signed up for it and in doing so need to be able to accept any fate that may come
Old 01-21-2011, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoteman View Post
Everyday they put on the uniform they are putting their life on the line ...
protected? that's real funny. everyday a construction worker walks into the plant, onto the jobsite,drives to work they are putting their life on the line. look up the stats. trying to glorify their job does not make them angels.
Old 01-21-2011, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nait Hadya View Post
protected? that's real funny. everyday a construction worker walks into the plant, onto the jobsite,drives to work they are putting their life on the line. look up the stats. trying to glorify their job does not make them angels.
I don`t for one second think that they are angels. I think you are not comparing apples to apples though. A construction site has a safety officer who tries to prevent these accidents, there is a govenment body that regulates workers safety on such a site. If an accident occurs on a site from the mistake of another worker it most likely wasn`t intentional or meant to harm others on that site. An officer in a police car probably spends the better part of a day driving in his car, probably a few hours more then the construction worker driving to and from work.

An officer isn`t dealing with workplace accidents (althought they do happen I bet) they deal with the unknown and must be reactive to those situations. I agree its not everyday that they have to deal with the worst of the worst but they might have to at anytime. case in point the police woman in Victoria who was attacked with a knife as she exited a Mac`s store. The attack was unprovoked and she never saw it coming.

I am not saying that they are better people or have a better job, but they do have a dangerous job at times, a stressful job at times, and the media sure loves to show when they make a mistake. when was the last time the news had a framer on the 6 o`clock news for screwing up.

Just my thoughts
Old 01-21-2011, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclebuck View Post
I have never had a problem with the RCMP years ago, but I have acquired a problem with the gestapo that now pose as RCMP!!!!
thats what I,m talking about, and the city police are rt in there ,they no long treat you as a human, even if you are in the right, when they change back to what they were like , and stop being a bunch of hypocrytes, and thugs , I,ll get a new attatude for them that i was raised and always believed they were some one to respect, and admire,
if you truly want to see some one that deals wth people wth fire arms every day , and they dont wear guns, and pack tazer guns, or pepper spray , and are respectfull to you as a human being, talk to and look at a fish and wild oficers job, they truly are dealing wth people wth fire arms every day, you dont see them kicking some guy in the face do you?????
Old 01-21-2011, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by u_cant_rope_the_wind View Post
thats what I,m talking about, and the city police are rt in there ,they no long treat you as a human, even if you are in the right, when they change back to what they were like , and stop being a bunch of hypocrytes, and thugs , I,ll get a new attatude for them that i was raised and always believed they were some one to respect, and admire,
if you truly want to see some one that deals wth people wth fire arms every day , and they dont wear guns, and pack tazer guns, or pepper spray , and are respectfull to you as a human being, talk to and look at a fish and wild oficers job, they truly are dealing wth people wth fire arms every day, you dont see them kicking some guy in the face do you?????
Not sure when the last time you had any dealings with a fish and wildlife officer but they carry the same gun and pepper spary as the city police. FYI.
Old 01-21-2011, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mini-moose View Post
Not sure when the last time you had any dealings with a fish and wildlife officer but they carry the same gun and pepper spary as the city police. FYI.
K9's and pepper spray,PROVEN deterrents.
Old 01-21-2011, 04:20 PM

Default Not that I disagree

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishingMOM View Post
Its **** poor attitudes like this that make a police officers job that much more difficult.

Unless you have walked beside an officer, Rode beside an officer or are an officer you have no idea.
These men and women dedicate their lives to protecting us. It is something they are Naturally Born with. Sure they could get a better paying job else where. However they are doing something to help others.

Policing was easier years ago. When society respected them. If you saw a crime you reported it, if you were a victim you co-operated with them. If you saw someone harming an officer you helped the best you could Most of the time now people go out of their way to make things more difficult. This is mostly the fault of the system, not due to a massive change in society.......people are real tired of criminals getting a slap on the wrist if anything at all, so apathy in regard to crime is to a certain extent the result
At the end of the day they are human beings just like you and I. They deserve to be loved, appreciated and respected just like you and I.

Every day they lay it all on the line for you and I!
This anti-police attitude we see so often absolutely sucks. If we were a perfect society we wouldn't need them, but since we are human and far from perfect we do need them.
True enough, but too many of them have slipped through the cracks with a "god" attitude, and too many times your average Joe has had a run in with arguably perhaps an overzealous police officers leaving a bad taste in their, and everyone else they tells mouths
Remember just like our Firemen, Paramedic, Soldiers and others who work tirelessly to make Canada a better place, they need our help!

So if you have nothing nice to say keep it to yourself.Try and remember this is a discussion forum, not a if you don't have anything nice to say don't say anything forum.......

AGAIN THANKS TO OUR MEMBERS WHO ARE SERVING!
I agree, hats off to all the members who serve with distinction
Old 01-21-2011, 04:28 PM

My Heart goes out to All those families of the fallen men and women who died on the job ,be they Police, Fireman , Welder, Mechanic... I am sure none of them expected to not come home from work that day . I don not believe that the majority of Police officers chose that profession because they felt a calling to serve or protect anyone ,It is a job with hazards like all other jobs.

When a police officer dies on the job he is an automatic hero regardless of whether he made a bad decision that may have contributed to his /her death.

When a tradesman ,oilfield worker dies on the job ...nobody bats an eye, just another unlucky schmuck gone .... hey there's a job opening for someone else right?

When a Police officer dies on duty the whole country pays a tribute,as we should .

When a tradesman or other dies on duty we hardly notice , we are more upset when the price of gas jumps a penny ( now that's a tragedy!!)

I think the person in the blue coveralls life is as important as the persons in the blue uniform...God knows the percentage of dead Cops is a lot lower than the percentage of dead Tradesmen

Just a thought...
Old 01-21-2011, 06:28 PM

The profession attracts two types, the ones who truly do want to serve and protect, and the one who joins up for the power. As most have said, it's the latter who we always trip over and remember, the good ones don't make the headlines that often, not headline grabbing news. The other issue is that the members who know what's going on inside don't dare rock the boat and try to deal with it for fear of being labeled troublemaker.

Ucan't rope the wind.... there are the same problems with the F&W boys, lot's of power trips in there too these days.
Old 01-22-2011, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
WELL... AREN'T WE HAVING FUN...

We've had lots of threads bashing cops. Lots of the bashing is warranted in the specific cases. heck, I've done it myself. However, I think the OP was merely balancing that with thanks to those good honest policemen who serve us.

Let's just leave it at that. If you want to bash the cops feel free to join one of the many other threads currently doing that.
Thanks for that ^ Okie (and others) ... much appreciated!

But I guess it all goes with the territory. Whenever you throw up a thread on the AOF, or any other 'open to the public' forum on the internet, you have to be prepared to take shots from all corners (good/bad/ugly). And that's not necessarily a bad thing.

I decided not to participate in the debate here, other than post #1, as many others have already expressed my views. As some have already said here in so many words, a police officer's life is worth no more, or no less than anyone else's life.

I guess the only real difference is that when when a police officer is killed, it's usually caused by an intentional violent act by others while he or she is trying to serve and protect ... as opposed to a random unintentional accident. The difference is quite dramatic, but as I'm sure we can all agree, the end result is the same.

TF
Old 01-23-2011, 01:32 AM

My dad served the EPS for 17 years, has no use for cops, heard all the stories, good and bad, driving drunk truck drivers home because he felt sorry for them, then kicking the **** out of other guys.

I pulled a coworker from a pipeline bell hole years ago, asphyxiated from nitrogen, his body half frozen, like a piece of meat you would take from your freezer. His girlfriend was 4 months pregnant, he never had the chance to meet his kid.

My brother watched his boss get squished between 2 ATCO trailers by a truck driver who wasn't paying attention, sat and talked with him for 45 minutes, until his last breath. My brother hasn't been the same since.

I recall many days working in the oilfield at -40 or colder, wet, frozen, doing what I had to do. I am certain many of you here recall the same things or perhaps are doing it now. Any job can be hard.

At the end of the day people are people, cops are people, some are good, some are bad. It's no different than any other job, it takes all kinds I suppose. People are prone to making mistakes in their work, we all have at some point. Just because we feel angry that we got a ticket or were treated poorly we shouldn't feel less upset if a cop dies, most of them are fathers and all of them are sons, they are loved by somebody.