Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 03-08-2019, 09:53 PM

i give my wife a general area i will be going and leave my phone at home, notebook, map and a copy of the regs are the only things i bring that an app could do for me.
i get distracted by my phone too easily and it ruins my hunt.

ihunter is great for property lines (or so i hear) and landowner contact info. but i hunt on foot and know the land i am allowed to hunt before the season even starts, none of this driving past a field and calling the owner to ask if i can shoot a deer on the other side of it.
Old 03-09-2019, 07:37 AM

I carry my phone with me , I just leave it on silent and leave it in my pocketb unless I need it to take a picture, or contact my hunting partner who may be hunting with me but is 1/4 mike away .
As far as Ihunter goes , I don’t see what the big issue is with it .
It’s a good tool if used properly, as was stated, it’s not essential but helpful .
We use it in conjunction with our county maps and phone list .

Cat

Last edited by catnthehat; 03-09-2019 at 07:47 AM.
Old 03-11-2019, 02:27 PM

Hey guys;

I realise this is de-railing from the main conversation (but I feel like it's somewhat on track? And I don't want to create a separate post for it). Where do you guys get your maps? I know esrd.alberta.ca, was listed as a way of finding map dealers (prior to Alberta's recreation of their website).

As I'm prepping for my first year of hunting, I'm trying to get an idea of what everyone uses/recommends using, and where to get it (for maps at least!).

Thanks!

PrpleWlf
Old 03-11-2019, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrpleWlf View Post
Hey guys;

I realise this is de-railing from the main conversation (but I feel like it's somewhat on track? And I don't want to create a separate post for it). Where do you guys get your maps? I know esrd.alberta.ca, was listed as a way of finding map dealers (prior to Alberta's recreation of their website).

As I'm prepping for my first year of hunting, I'm trying to get an idea of what everyone uses/recommends using, and where to get it (for maps at least!).

Thanks!

PrpleWlf
I get mine from the county offices. Some I pick up in person, some I order in advance by mail.
Old 03-11-2019, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Hey guys;

Thanks!

PrpleWlf
Download the maps on ihunter. No paper. Always know where you stand. Pretty awesome

Btw love the paper maps too. I do miss the days of “backroads mapbooks”
Old 03-11-2019, 03:23 PM

This is the eye Hunter appScreenshot_20190311-152154.jpgScreenshot_20190311-152145.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 03-11-2019, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 whelen View Post
This is the eye Hunter appAttachment 153534Attachment 153535

Blue dot Is exactly where I'm sitting

Old 03-11-2019, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 whelen View Post
Blue dot Is exactly where I'm sitting

I did end up downloading the iHunter app, however I was curious about whether or not it's worth my while to have paper backups (especially as outside of Edmonton I'm a no-data phone plan; yay Freedom Mobile!).

In regards to iHunter, I noticed once I downloaded the app and paid the cost of download, there was a iHunter Pro option (I'm currently on the trial); is this another $5.49 upgrade on top of the first $5.49 to download the app, or is this a glitch I should contact them about?
I have found the answer to this question. Somehow it evaded me before!

Thanks y'all;

PrpleWlf

Last edited by PrpleWlf; 03-11-2019 at 04:22 PM.
Old 03-11-2019, 05:03 PM

Quote:
I did end up downloading the iHunter app, however I was curious about whether or not it's worth my while to have paper backups (especially as outside of Edmonton I'm a no-data phone plan; yay Freedom Mobile!).

In regards to iHunter, I noticed once I downloaded the app and paid the cost of download, there was a iHunter Pro option (I'm currently on the trial); is this another $5.49 upgrade on top of the first $5.49 to download the app, or is this a glitch I should contact them about?
I have found the answer to this question. Somehow it evaded me before!

Thanks y'all;

PrpleWlf
New question that just came up for me; are the county maps available on iHunter the same as those maps available on certain county websites (i.e. the 2018-2019 Land Ownership Map available on Parkland County's website in PDF format)?

Just curious on this one, thanks.

PrpleWlf
Old 03-13-2019, 01:16 PM

Default apps

I like the Discover Guide app, it shows you all the conservation sites and lets you know if you can hunt or fish on them.

Tags
applications, apps, gps, iphone, phone