Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 01-01-2009, 07:06 PM

Great setup munyee.
that is something I may be interested in. Sounds like its got all areas covered.
Thanks for sharing.
Old 01-01-2009, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardiacphil View Post
Well sounds like he wanted to sell you something other than what you want. I know for a fact they are coming out with some new bows, Never knew about the KING COBRA though. Yeah I think its called the mx1,mx2, But he said they were keeping the X1 as well.
Maybe your local proshop just doen't know? Or he is deliberately telling you Foooeey So you can buy a hoyt or some other bow...
If I were in the market for a new bow, I would look at the Ross Carnivore..Its pretty slick lookin weapon.

If anyone knows where I can try that thing out let me know, I would love to shoot it.

Phil

They are dropping both the x1 and x2
Old 01-01-2009, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Map Maker View Post
Great setup munyee.
that is something I may be interested in. Sounds like its got all areas covered.
Thanks for sharing.
That is not a bad thing until the dang thing gets to cold, two friends tried them and when they got real cold they got stiff and pulled the arrows off the strings while drawing. one buddy did not know and he dryfired his new bow

until that i thought it was a good idea also but after that would not touch them again. Qad also makes a good drop away that had a containment bar across the top
Old 01-01-2009, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorilla View Post
ya i think my mind is made on the AM, i have trie dout several 09 brands and nothing felt better in hand, smooth draw, light, quiet, the only thing is the price. Aside from waiting until next year, does anyone know where / when i person could find a good deal? 1100 is pretty steep not including acessories.
The dollar sucks now too, cause south its selling on average for 849, not including shipping or exchange, so it would actually cost me more to look south of the border. So if anyone knows of a place i am all ears!
brother has a brand new apa x2 sitting on the shelf at his shop it is an 08 model 60 lbs i do beleive if interested let me know I can get price for you
Old 01-01-2009, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trav View Post
That is not a bad thing until the dang thing gets to cold, two friends tried them and when they got real cold they got stiff and pulled the arrows off the strings while drawing. one buddy did not know and he dryfired his new bow

until that i thought it was a good idea also but after that would not touch them again. Qad also makes a good drop away that had a containment bar across the top
iv never had any problems with it in the cold? always worked for me mined you i worked my so that its a little looser now then it was originally.Thats too bad for your for friend... but thats kinda silly not noticing your arrow didn't come up on draw....
Old 01-01-2009, 08:16 PM

Quote:
hey guys, just thought I would get some of your advise on the topic? i am currently in the market for a new bow and was thinking of switching things up a little, as I currently use a wb, but it seems that there is a lot of hype over the drop aways.
My intial thoughts, the drop away is nice cause there is less contact with the arrow itself and thus should provide more energy and better accuracy, but I am noticing as i go out and try some of these new amazing bows that I as I draw back I am having issues with keeping the arrow in the rest itself, hence the wb. I have never had an issue w the wb and during stalks etc, it is that much more secure. So the question really, is a drop away rest really that much better?

The next question, is there a drop away rest out there that actually provides similiar conatinment to the wb? I am all ears?

Sure are some amazing bows out there today, the hoyt amax is super sweet, hands down the most comfortable in hnad bow i have tested to date, quite, lots of punch....but pricey!!!!! just my thoughts, what are yours?

I used the WB for 5 years, then switched to an alpine drop away rest.

The only reason I switched was because of noise. I spooked 4 deer in close while I was drawing ... that was enough. Never had a problem with fletchings coming off or wearing out and I should 30 arrows/day during july / august / september for those 5 years. The WB is an awesome rest but I just could not trust it in close for being quiet.

My drop away has the same feature as shown above with something that holds the arrow in place. I also put mole hair all over the drop away rest and bow riser just in case the arrow slips out during some buck fever.

I have zero complaints about a drop away and I'll never go back to a WB just because of the noise.

I like to take shots and get close to animals, 15-25 meters is just right for me hence my reason for dumping the loud WB.

For hunting accuracy, I never had any complaints with WB accuracy out to 40 meters.
Old 01-01-2009, 10:05 PM

Trav,

I must have been mistaken..I talked to al and an older lady there and they said that they were keeping th mold so you could order an X1...I dont know???

Although I hope that they make another fast bow, Because the mx1 and mx2's they are gunna release are actually slower than their previous versions...

Hmmm...it will be interesting for sure. Does your brother carry Bowtech at all???I was wondering if they will distribute the Ross Carnivore???I really wanna try that Bad Boy out!!!
"If it gobbles, quacks, bugles or grunts, chances are I’ve chased it more than a time or two. Droppin’ the hammer and closin’ the coffin on anything with antlers, feathers or fur just never gets old."
Micheal Waddell....... just a cool cat IMO

"there is more fun in hunting with the handi cap of a bow than the sureness of a gun."
Fred Bear........ probobly the greatest hunter to ever live, definately the most respected.
Old 01-02-2009, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Trav,

I must have been mistaken..I talked to al and an older lady there and they said that they were keeping th mold so you could order an X1...I dont know???

Although I hope that they make another fast bow, Because the mx1 and mx2's they are gunna release are actually slower than their previous versions...

Hmmm...it will be interesting for sure. Does your brother carry Bowtech at all???I was wondering if they will distribute the Ross Carnivore???I really wanna try that Bad Boy out!!!
you can prob special order any bow that was previously made from APA the mx1 you lose 2fps not something to worry about the mx2 is the same speed as the x2. The risers are all CNC machined once the machine has the pattern in the computer it is there for good unless they remove them

Corey can order in the bowtechs but I am not sure why he is not stocking them I think it has something to do with distrubutor he is using cannot be reliable. He can also get the Ross bows in I know he has a couple diff ones on the shelf I will talk to him and see what he says he will have the shop open again on tuesday next week. once I find out I will let you know
Old 01-02-2009, 03:04 PM

thanx trav...really wanna shoot the carnivore...lol
"If it gobbles, quacks, bugles or grunts, chances are I’ve chased it more than a time or two. Droppin’ the hammer and closin’ the coffin on anything with antlers, feathers or fur just never gets old."

"there is more fun in hunting with the handi cap of a bow than the sureness of a gun."
Fred Bear........ probobly the greatest hunter to ever live, definately the most respected.
Old 01-02-2009, 05:37 PM

Thumbs up

go get a ripcord and you'll have 0 contact with fletchings on shot and total arrow confinment until shot easy to set up and never lets you down. I like mine because it will keep your arrow up off the shelf at all times. I put some mole skin on mine where the arrow touches the rest for no noise at draw. Check them out . jay
Old 01-02-2009, 06:48 PM

well boys and girls, i am not sure if i just got "had" but the deal was tooooo good to pass up? I just made an on phone order for a alpha max 32 for the price of 600.00 inc shipping and its brand new out of the box, says that it will take 6-9 weeks for the shop to get it, then another few days for me to get ahold of it. I was and am skeptical on the price so i only put down a min down payment, but if all is well, i will let u's know where i ordered it from, but as they say, if it is to good to be true.....it usually is, i am just crossing my fingers!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-02-2009, 08:04 PM

Yeah...I dont do that anymore..Once you get screwed you kinda get hard nosed about those things. Anyways good luck...Let us know How it goes.

Phil

Old 01-02-2009, 11:14 PM

Quote:
well boys and girls, i am not sure if i just got "had" but the deal was tooooo good to pass up? I just made an on phone order for a alpha max 32 for the price of 600.00 inc shipping and its brand new out of the box, says that it will take 6-9 weeks for the shop to get it, then another few days for me to get ahold of it. I was and am skeptical on the price so i only put down a min down payment, but if all is well, i will let u's know where i ordered it from, but as they say, if it is to good to be true.....it usually is, i am just crossing my fingers!!!!!!!!!
I was told that once also from hoyt and 5months later still never had the product so went to diff company.

All the best let us know how you made out
Old 01-03-2009, 01:17 PM

Quote:
thanx trav...really wanna shoot the carnivore...lol
I'm quite sure Jimbo's carries Bowtech and Ross
Old 01-03-2009, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knownonscents View Post
I'm quite sure Jimbo's carries Bowtech and Ross
yes he does. Jim is the Ross distributor for canada not sure if he has the new models yet but if not wont be long.
Old 12-28-2009, 09:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRackLover View Post
I used the WB for 5 years, then switched to an alpine drop away rest.

The only reason I switched was because of noise. I spooked 4 deer in close while I was drawing ... that was enough. Never had a problem with fletchings coming off or wearing out and I should 30 arrows/day during july / august / september for those 5 years. The WB is an awesome rest but I just could not trust it in close for being quiet.

My drop away has the same feature as shown above with something that holds the arrow in place. I also put mole hair all over the drop away rest and bow riser just in case the arrow slips out during some buck fever.

I have zero complaints about a drop away and I'll never go back to a WB just because of the noise.

I like to take shots and get close to animals, 15-25 meters is just right for me hence my reason for dumping the loud WB.

For hunting accuracy, I never had any complaints with WB accuracy out to 40 meters.
I've shot lots of whitetails in the 5-30 yrd range with wb and no issues at all with the noise. I have heard some arrows are noisier than others and for me i will play with that before i go away from my bisquit....i think the plain black shafts are quieter and the coated shafts are the noisy ones but you'd have to confirm....i shoot plain black fyi......

I had a trophy taker, almost cost me my best whitetail....of course the only time i have an arrow go between riser and arm was at the moment of truth but thats how that works. Watching wild t.v. i saw the one of the drury brothers almost have a wreck and had to finger his arrow into place at the end of the draw...thank goodness for mechanical head and gloves on or he'd be cut up too....those dang x-forces want to kick the arrow off when going over the hump, i seem to see lots of recommendations for containment rests on those agressive two cammers.

Also watched a late season sask. hunt with the hunting canada and beyond boys who should be plenty used to cold weather and had something snap on a drop away at the moment of truth on a dam nice whitetail....he ended up shooting a way smaller one later in the hunt with a rifle.....no 'failaways' for me.....not like we don't have enough to deal with trying to kill stuff with a bow...there are good ways to set up a target bow and good ways to set up a hunting bow imo, nothing wrong with either.

I guess i try to think of say a late season sheep hunt....how would i want to be set up? All the snow and freezing potential with moisture getting into stuff? Would this be the place for extra cables and moving arms etc.? How about a moveable one pin sight...yeah, great for the range work, might be your worst enemy on your hunt of a lifetime though....multi pins way to go, even if you bust some during hunt you'll have others to reference from and save the day.

I ordered a t5 detach quiver for my new bow but have already second guessed that...there is no better place for your arrows when hunting than on your bow....when all heck breaks loose it will be when you've detached your quiver and set it somewhere or for a stalk etc. and then your SOL when you need that next arrow or two, so for the bit of inconvenience of loading your quiver each hunt is worth it imo...or get a case that takes bow with loaded quiver and still have convenience. I will likely go to the fixed quiver and sell the t5 just for those reasons.

You can't get simple enough for bowhunting imo. Range work is different story but with this archery stuff we have a zillion other things to worry about.

I'm going to try a tubeless peep one more time on the new bow....that f'n thing better stay put or the tube type goes back on....pretty easy to change that stuff yearly and carry spare in the pack. Only lost a chance at does when i learned that lesson before but it seems everyone and their dog trusts these thing without the tube so i'll give it one more crack otherwise i'll take the loss in speed with a tube style and have bombproof stuff....like the whisker.

Ahhh, ok, rant over.
Old 12-28-2009, 09:49 PM

Just to add to Stinky's words of wisdom....

I LIKE the noise the WB makes by times. I don't have to worry about fumbling with a grunt tube to stop a moving animal. The very slight draw sound will usually stop them for a shot. It doesn't work every time, but what does?

WB fan here too.

Tree
Old 12-28-2009, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeGuy View Post
It doesn't work every time, but what does?
a domestic sheep sound, "BBAAAAAA".

WB are truly simple.

Stinky - try the anchor sight, far better accuracy that a huge arse peep and no speed loss. I used it all season long and loved it. Takes some getting used too.

When you are on the hunt of a lifetime, you definitely want simple reliable gear. However, you also want to make that opportunity count ... which is why I would never trust the stereo system they call WB.

It's like everything in life ... it's all a balance.

BTW - I've heard the WB aren't that good in snow and cold temps as the wiskers stiffen up and cling together.
Old 12-28-2009, 11:39 PM

I have a WB, I want to change it because it makes my fletchings black. BUT it is a great rest for stalking, no movement at all !!!!.

Don't know what this new rest is but its pretty fancy. It has 3 brushes on it (kind of like the hostage) but when you release they drop or move sideways.

Jim told me it's really the only rest out there that works for the guys shooting 400+ fps.

Might get one.
Old 12-28-2009, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter10 View Post
I have a WB, I want to change it because it makes my fletchings black. BUT it is a great rest for stalking, no movement at all !!!!.

Don't know what this new rest is but its pretty fancy. It has 3 brushes on it (kind of like the hostage) but when you release they drop or move sideways.

Jim told me it's really the only rest out there that works for the guys shooting 400+ fps.

Might get one.
I think you mean 300
Old 12-29-2009, 12:29 AM
Hugin&munin

Quote:
hey guys, just thought I would get some of your advise on the topic? i am currently in the market for a new bow and was thinking of switching things up a little, as I currently use a wb, but it seems that there is a lot of hype over the drop aways.
My intial thoughts, the drop away is nice cause there is less contact with the arrow itself and thus should provide more energy and better accuracy, but I am noticing as i go out and try some of these new amazing bows that I as I draw back I am having issues with keeping the arrow in the rest itself, hence the wb. I have never had an issue w the wb and during stalks etc, it is that much more secure. So the question really, is a drop away rest really that much better?

The next question, is there a drop away rest out there that actually provides similiar conatinment to the wb? I am all ears?

Sure are some amazing bows out there today, the hoyt amax is super sweet, hands down the most comfortable in hnad bow i have tested to date, quite, lots of punch....but pricey!!!!! just my thoughts, what are yours?
Well I have a couple thoughts on the subject, I think you should take a close look at APA for your arrow rest and maby your bow as well!! I use the APA black mamba xl and the ultimate safari rest and they work very well together. I don't no what is better wp or drop away but I do no how much I like the drop away from APA. If you want to take a look they have a great web site www.apaarchery.ca or something like that. If you want a closer look I shoot at sherwood park or spruce once or twice a month PM me and I'll let you know when I'll be there and you can take a look and I shoot a 32" draw if your draw length matches up half ass close shoot some arrows through it and I know you will like it. best of luck!
Old 12-29-2009, 07:51 AM
Banned

i'm takin my music over the failaway....that being said i might have to use a failaway on my next bow but will be trying the wb first

i did the no peep thing also and loved it, shot super tight with it too, tighter than with peep but had it line up on couple twisted up shots (does right under me) from treestand but miss completely at very close range, haven't missed anything since with a peep in string so can't say forsure it was the no peep but sure seems like it was the issue

cold weather, no issues so far but could see what your saying but i think it would still be full containment and in effect you still have all contact cancelling it all out so stiffer or not its still the same, probably more likely to save your hunt than a failaway imo, the worse the conditions get i think the more likely the wb will still make it happen over all other options
Old 12-29-2009, 10:52 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter10 View Post

Might get one.
That thing is total pooh!
My buddy bought one last summer and had it put on a brand new Air Raid. Worked fine in the warm days but one cold morning it froze up and busted. I can't remember if it broke when he drew the bow or when he shot. Bottom line IMO way to many moving parts.
Old 12-29-2009, 11:07 PM

I do alot of spot and stock all over alberta from moose in the thick willows to witetails in the trees to southern muleys on the river bottoms to high country elk and all i have to say is Ripcord an amazing rest that QAD pretty much same thing dont see much different between them other than price i can get a ripcord for 120 and a QAD for 150
Old 12-30-2009, 10:58 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by spotnstockhillbilly View Post
I do alot of spot and stock all over alberta from moose in the thick willows to witetails in the trees to southern muleys on the river bottoms to high country elk and all i have to say is Ripcord an amazing rest that QAD pretty much same thing dont see much different between them other than price i can get a ripcord for 120 and a QAD for 150
I had a ripcord as well but had issues with it dropping in time. Anyone else had this happen? I spent a TON of time changing everything i could to make it work. I finally went back to my old stand by, a Trophy taker pronghorn. I just like how simple and solid it is. I have never had it freeze, bust or not drop in time. IMO the most simple and effective rest on the market.
Old 12-31-2009, 01:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRackLover View Post

Stinky - try the anchor sight, far better accuracy that a huge arse peep and no speed loss. I used it all season long and loved it. Takes some getting used too.
hey, looked into these a bit as i really did shoot better with my no peep than with a regular peep and i think i will test it out on my 'play' bow, will probably try a few different things out before i settle on a final set up but looks like anchor sight addressed the short comings of the no peep and seems to get very solid feedback the past couple years etc. i'm pumped to try it out as i have hated peeps from day 1
Old 01-04-2010, 09:39 PM

I shoot a Hoyt AM35 setup with a Trophy Taker drop away( the new ones with the arrow cage) and got rid of the peep for a Hindsight. I cant begin to express how happy I am with my improved groups since I got rid of my peep sight. Best move ever!
Old 01-04-2010, 10:05 PM

Default Vital Gear Kazaway

I have used both the APA Twister Safari and it works great but I switched over to a Vital Gear rest on my Guardian and now on my new Destroyer and I will never go back. Both rests are good, I just prefer the VG rest.
Old 01-10-2010, 07:28 PM

Have a look at the APA rests, they have full containment and drop away and they're made in Sask.
Old 01-10-2010, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Coyote View Post
hey, looked into these a bit as i really did shoot better with my no peep than with a regular peep and i think i will test it out on my 'play' bow, will probably try a few different things out before i settle on a final set up but looks like anchor sight addressed the short comings of the no peep and seems to get very solid feedback the past couple years etc. i'm pumped to try it out as i have hated peeps from day 1
Hey SC, what is this no peep deal? I'm very interested, never heard of it. I missed a nice bull moose at 20 yards this fall cause of a peep that slid down on my string and caused all my yardage pins to shoot low at least 8 inches. Really peed me off!!!