Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-30-2015, 09:18 AM

No attic access in the room, it is a steep vaulted ceiling. The attic hatch is in the bedroom beside the bonus room and is blocked off by the bonus room wall. Actually now that I remember I did have the builder come in a few years back and they did the thermal check and they gave it the all OK.
I think a good first step would be to call someone else in to do the thermal reading of the room on a cold day and that will at least give me a starting point. This sucks trying to figure out the problem when there is so many possibilities. Kind of like an electrical problem in a vehicle.
Thanks again guys.
Old 12-30-2015, 09:19 AM

We have a few halogen ceiling lights in my wife's small upstairs quilting studio and once they are on she roasts in there.

Heat Lamp her!!!!

Heat your wife-not the room
Old 12-30-2015, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sitting Bull View Post
No attic access in the room, it is a steep vaulted ceiling. The attic hatch is in the bedroom beside the bonus room and is blocked off by the bonus room wall. .
Quite simply, how could the insulators have blown it in if there is no attic access or way to cross into the bonus room roof system from the remainder of the home.

On the other hand - steep vaults need to be batted. Measure the rise over a run of 12'. Usually 3/12 or greater gets batted.

Any chance of posting some pictures of the interior vault? As well as the building design from the outside? I am wondering if there is a window bump out or other feature that resulted in a area of flat ceiling in the room. Or a sheathed truss somewhere in that roof that a lazy contractor neglected to realize required insulation on the other side of.

I am fairly certain the problem isn't in your floor. Because you heat the garage, if there was an insulation problem in the floor the room would steal all the rising heat from the garage.

Another simple way is to head outside and look at the roof. Compare it to other roofs on the street with the same exposure. Snow melting off it?
Old 12-30-2015, 11:03 AM

Default Dormer

If there is a dormer and the seal was not properly lined up to follow the wall then that could be an issue....
Skoalzie
Old 12-30-2015, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneeze View Post
Quite simply, how could the insulators have blown it in if there is no attic access or way to cross into the bonus room roof system from the remainder of the home.

On the other hand - steep vaults need to be batted. Measure the rise over a run of 12'. Usually 3/12 or greater gets batted.

Any chance of posting some pictures of the interior vault? As well as the building design from the outside? I am wondering if there is a window bump out or other feature that resulted in a area of flat ceiling in the room. Or a sheathed truss somewhere in that roof that a lazy contractor neglected to realize required insulation on the other side of.

I am fairly certain the problem isn't in your floor. Because you heat the garage, if there was an insulation problem in the floor the room would steal all the rising heat from the garage.

Another simple way is to head outside and look at the roof. Compare it to other roofs on the street with the same exposure. Snow melting off it?
The pray in was in the garage between the bonus room and the garage. I am assuming, and that can be dangerous , the walls and roof would be regular batten.
I am not getting any melting problems or anything else like iceicles and such.
I'll post some pics for you guys later tonight.
Old 12-30-2015, 09:02 PM

put in a gas fireplace with a fan. incredible heat and easy install