Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 08-06-2015, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikeslayer22 View Post
He's probably looking on the bright side...might not be able to hunt for a year but he will be good to go guiding
What a Joke
Old 08-06-2015, 07:50 PM

Those clowns should have had 10 grand fine and lost their hunting privileges for 10 years, what a joke!!!!
Old 08-06-2015, 08:13 PM

What a joke... No deterant for the next guy who thinks about it.
Thats a nice sheep and it deserves the respect for a bigger punishment.
Old 08-06-2015, 08:47 PM

Disappointing that the fine and suspension was so minimal. Not much of a deterant for the next guy. Everyone hunting that zone, especially the late tags who are chasing Rams wandering off the mine should be well aware how to determine the mine boundary. Pretty simple with moderns GPS's. Also lots of eyes watching that country throughout the entire season. Blatantly shooting a ram inside the mine boundary has a pretty good chance of not staying a secret. I have no doubt they knew where they were and what they were doing. Another black eye for for the honest guide/outfitters out there as well. I am amazed at the number of bad apples among them turning up on a regular basis it seems.
Old 08-07-2015, 11:00 AM

I bet if it's name was Cecil it would be a different story...
Old 08-07-2015, 11:26 AM
Banned

If they are a member of SCI, will they suspend them? Or is there not enough publicity for them?
Old 08-07-2015, 02:56 PM

What a bunch of tards!
Old 08-07-2015, 03:49 PM

If he is a "guide" in the area there is a good chance that he does this all the time. This would just be the first time he got caught.
Old 08-07-2015, 04:36 PM

Wow.

Guided sheep hunt = $10k-14k, 1-2 weeks, **** ton of training and prep

Poach a BIGGER ram within the mine boundaries (self guided and FAR easier) = mayyyyybe $5k IF you get caught. Otherwise nothing.

Literally WAY cheaper and easier to poach a big ram out of the mine.

Great job... justice served for sure.
Old 08-07-2015, 07:19 PM

Default Apos

What does this say about the integrity of the Outfitter profession? Guys like this should be banded from hunting or guiding for a considerable period.
Old 08-07-2015, 11:26 PM

So you're telling me, I can pay $5,500 for a world class sheep hunt on protected land that no one has the right to hunt on, so I would have first choice of sheep and they are very tame because they generally don't feel threatened by man on the mine site... And I won't be able to hunt for one year... Just a if I were to kill a bighorn in a legal area.... Sounds like a cheap hunt with great odds and with tremendous trophy quality!

This provinces penalties and punishments for breaking the law, especially for someone who knows damn well that they are doing something very wrong are pathetic. Only supports my hate for the government and the spineless cowards in control of the justice system.
Old 08-08-2015, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucky89 View Post
What does this say about the integrity of the Outfitter profession? Guys like this should be banded from hunting or guiding for a considerable period.
Are you talking like a waterfowl band around their ankles or like a collar type deal around their necks ???

It doesn't say anything about the Outfitter profession, it says that one guide tried to cheat the law and got caught.
Old 08-08-2015, 10:31 AM

compare this fine to another thread going where a guy was 2500 for picking up a shed in a park...hmmmm
Old 08-08-2015, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigChevy View Post
So you're telling me, I can pay $5,500 for a world class sheep hunt on protected land that no one has the right to hunt on, so I would have first choice of sheep and they are very tame because they generally don't feel threatened by man on the mine site... And I won't be able to hunt for one year... Just a if I were to kill a bighorn in a legal area.... Sounds like a cheap hunt with great odds and with tremendous trophy quality!

This provinces penalties and punishments for breaking the law, especially for someone who knows damn well that they are doing something very wrong are pathetic. Only supports my hate for the government and the spineless cowards in control of the justice system.
The punishments are weak, without question but I doubt he gets to keep his poached ram.
Old 08-08-2015, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
The "fines" part of convictions needs to change. It should be based on personal income. A 20,000 dollar fine to someone making 70,000 a year is substantial. Not so much for the guy taking home 200,000 a year. How do judges determine the fines anyway? Curious.
Should the plant worker pay the same fines as the top notch doctor? Is the doctor affected at all if its his pocket change?
Um no. Fines need to be based on a crime not personal income. Why should someone who went and spent 10 years in med school be punished harder than a guy that has his grade 10. That's like saying we should put a murderer in jail for an extra 5 years of he made good money just to punish him a little harder for no reason other than he has a good salary
Old 08-08-2015, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughneck Country View Post
Um no. Fines need to be based on a crime not personal income. Why should someone who went and spent 10 years in med school be punished harder than a guy that has his grade 10. That's like saying we should put a murderer in jail for an extra 5 years of he made good money just to punish him a little harder for no reason other than he has a good salary
Because if For example, Donald trump was a poacher and each time he got caught, was fined 10,000 dollars....... What kind of deterrent is that? That's like fining me 3 dollars. When a penalty makes someone think twice about his actions, it's working as intended. If a poacher has to work and scrimp to pay his fine, it might make him think twice of repeating his actions. Fine that same poacher 3 dollars.... Doesn't affect him. Laughs it off. Penaltys are suppose to be just that, penaltys to make someone think twice about what they are doing.
Old 08-08-2015, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Because if For example, Donald trump was a poacher and each time he got caught, was fined 10,000 dollars....... What kind of deterrent is that? That's like fining me 3 dollars. When a penalty makes someone think twice about his actions, it's working as intended. If a poacher has to work and scrimp to pay his fine, it might make him think twice of repeating his actions. Fine that same poacher 3 dollars.... Doesn't affect him. Laughs it off. Penaltys are suppose to be just that, penaltys to make someone think twice about what they are doing.
In Sweden (or another country with crazy hot women) traffic fines are based on personal income....the most expensive traffic ticket ever reigns from that area.

LC
Old 08-08-2015, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
In Sweden (or another country with crazy hot women) traffic fines are based on personal income....the most expensive traffic ticket ever reigns from that area.

LC
Sounds right..,. Having unlimited amounts of money should not put one above the law. ( I have crazy money, I'll drive fast and park where I want to, when I want to.)
Old 08-08-2015, 05:45 PM

Meh. What's the big deal?

A member on here was fined $5000.00 for illegal grizzly hunting, $4,000.00 for illegal caribou hunting and $1,000.00 for failing to prevent a contravention of the Wildlife Act all while guiding in the Yukon. But because he has completed the Super Slam of the North American 29 most on here idolize him and would still kiss his boots if they had a chance.

What's the difference in this case?

A poacher is a poacher and any credibility they have or ever had is gone forever once convicted.
Old 08-08-2015, 06:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positrac View Post

A member on here was fined $5000.00 for illegal grizzly hunting, $4,000.00 for illegal caribou hunting and $1,000.00 for failing to prevent a contravention of the Wildlife Act all while guiding in the Yukon. But because he has completed the Super Slam of the North American 29 most on here idolize him and would still kiss his boots if they had a chance.

A poacher is a poacher and any credibility they have or ever had is gone forever once convicted.
X2
Old 08-08-2015, 07:34 PM

My guess is that the crown accepted a plea bargain from them and reduced the fine based on not dragging it through the courts, when they agreed to plead guilty. crazy stuff
Old 08-08-2015, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Punishment / fine needs to fit the crime regardless of income to punish Donald trump the same as an average guy would mean he pays a billion dollars while someone else pays 5000. Honestly sounds like something the NDP would come up with to punish people who got educated and worked a little harder than joe with a grade 12. I get the point your trying to make but disagree with the approach. Most people that are truly rich the resulting embarrassment among peers for a poaching conviction is worse than any fine
Old 08-08-2015, 09:22 PM

Quote:
So give all poachers long suspensions from hunting. If they are outfitting or guiding when they poach, suspend their ability to outfit or guide for a considerable period. A suspension is the same to both rich and poor.
Old 08-08-2015, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
So give all poachers long suspensions from hunting. If they are outfitting or guiding when they poach, suspend their ability to outfit or guide for a considerable period. A suspension is the same to both rich and poor.
Yes. My point. Fines are prejudiced. Suspensions are unbiased and affect each in the same negative way. Agreed.
Old 08-08-2015, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeride View Post
What a joke... No deterant for the next guy who thinks about it.
Thats a nice sheep and it deserves the respect for a bigger punishment.
Exactly this^^^
Problem with them not being allowed to hunt legally (such as license ban) is that the punishment would be exactly what they are being punished for. They've already shown they're willing to hunt illegally. So although it's a good start, there must be considerably more done.
Some ideas to consider may be HUGE fines, gun confiscation, loss of guiding/outfitting privileges for life (EVEN IF they weren't a guide at the time), & probably something else obvious I'm not thinking of right now... Punishments as they are, are ridiculous. Even a 10k fine for an outfitter might be one or two extra clients he takes the next season.
Old 08-08-2015, 10:02 PM

Way I see it, if you poach or do ANYTHING ILLEGAL while being a guide/outfitter. Apos should throw you to the dogs. They aren't protecting guides by not doing anything. They should want guides and outfitter's with integrity.
NEVER be allowed to guide again.
20 year hunting ban.
A year or two in jail.
Firearms ban. Ect.

Some people in apos and elsewhere, need to pull their heads out of their arse and start doing something. A small fine will do nothing.
It doesn't prevent them from doing it again .
Old 08-08-2015, 10:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughneck Country View Post
Punishment / fine needs to fit the crime regardless of income to punish Donald trump the same as an average guy would mean he pays a billion dollars while someone else pays 5000. Honestly sounds like something the NDP would come up with to punish people who got educated and worked a little harder than joe with a grade 12. I get the point your trying to make but disagree with the approach. Most people that are truly rich the resulting embarrassment among peers for a poaching conviction is worse than any fine
Oh my,well we certainly wouldn't want to embarass the poor little millionaire in front of his country club peers.
I'd agree,that a fine is no real deterrant to the 1%ers,many of whom have far more money then morals.Whereas a $50,000 fine could be financially devastating to some,it's pocket change to others,and no deterrant from simply hiring a helicopter and poaching at will.
All said and done,I think the fine in this case is grossly undervalued for such a coveted species......almost sets a precedent as a real bargain for anybody wanting to take a trophy sheep compared to the cost commanded for a legit,outfitted hunt.The courts have basically said you might as well take your chances poaching,and even if you get caught,it's still only a fraction of the cost of booking a legal hunt.....pathetic.
Old 08-10-2015, 12:28 AM

Quote:

Positrac not sure if you want to kiss my boots or whatever you want to kiss there pal but my names pat Garrett and anytime us want to come over for a beer and we can sit down and talk about my situation back then.
No one kisses my butt or boots or anything, I'm a good chit buddy thst would sit around a sheep fire with you or anyone and love it, you can go on all you want pal behind your tough keyboard but I don't roll like that, I completed the superslam from oil money and I just completed the world slam or sheep by hard work, carry on positrac but don't think I'm gonna bend over for you to kiss my butt pal until your man enough to tell everyone your name 😊
Old 08-10-2015, 01:03 AM
Banned

Quote:

I couldn't agree more.

It is nice to see some people are paying attention.

You have to watch, saying too much here about certain people will get you banned as well.
Old 08-10-2015, 01:21 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunslinger View Post
Positrac not sure if you want to kiss my boots or whatever you want to kiss there pal but my names pat Garrett and anytime us want to come over for a beer and we can sit down and talk about my situation back then.
No one kisses my butt or boots or anything, I'm a good chit buddy thst would sit around a sheep fire with you or anyone and love it, you can go on all you want pal behind your tough keyboard but I don't roll like that, I completed the superslam from oil money and I just completed the world slam or sheep by hard work, carry on positrac but don't think I'm gonna bend over for you to kiss my butt pal until your man enough to tell everyone your name ��
Thanks Pat for the good laugh :sHa_sarcastic lol:

I don't care what you did with your oil money. It is what you did while you were guiding. Play innocent all you want, it is not a secret anymore.

I will give you my name and legal land description any time you like.

Last edited by crazy_davey; 08-10-2015 at 01:36 AM.
Closed Thread