Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-06-2022, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunt4Ever View Post
Thanks for all the input here, what a great resource we have here.
Need some more advice here…
Today I weighed the F150 at the semi truck scale just south of Leduc on hwy 2, it came in at 3130Kgs (6900lbs) with a full tank of gas and other (ad)normal stuff I carry. The travel trailer I want to pull has a listed dry weight of 2459Kgs (5421lbs) and a GVWR of 3118Kgs (6874lbs). On the same scale with the empty trailer attached to the truck, the truck weight measured 3511Kgs (7740lbs), with the trailer attached to the truck, the empty trailer weight measured 2270Kgs (5004lbs).
From what I can tell all falls within listed parameters of the truck for towing or am I wrong?
Trailer info

Good for you for weighing it! And now you see why experienced RV people (old guys) drive one ton pickups. Add your usual pickup load of people and whatever gear, and let's say a ton to your trailer for water, propane, food, drinks and the standard camping stuff we all have and you are way overloaded. Just like nearly all half tons pulling mid size or larger trailers...

My own trailer is just under 6000 lbs dry and let's say 8000 fully loaded. I did not like pulling it with my old 3/4 ton diesel that much - I usually have my dry box with some "unstuck" gear, chainsaws, tools etc., and a few days firewood in the truck bed. My new one ton makes it a breeze though.
Old 05-07-2022, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
Agreed,

Half tons are great vehicles, and manufacturers hype them up with ridiculous max towing rating (and mileage ratings) that are only achievable in optimized configurations of that vehicle ( 2WD, long wheelbase, etc..) and you do need to look at your door sticker.

This marketing hype leads to UNSAFE conditions as people simply figure "my ecoboost can tow 17,700 lbs and hitch er' up and hit the highway. The same highway your wife and kids are driving on.

And since the payload on most 1/2 ton trucks is around 1500lbs, with 15% tongue weight (which is a reasonable standard) you can only tow something like 10,000 lbs before there is not enough tongue weight to safely control the sway of the trailer, or to brake safely.

HOWEVER. keep in mind ...

This 10,000lbs "true adjusted" maximum MUST minus the weight of you all passengers and stuff in the cab X10 - so if you are the only one in the cab, and weigh 200lbs, that will reduce the total trailer max weight to 8,000lbs

Put 2 grown people in the cab and you are down to 6,000lb trailer, @ 15% tongue weight ( 900lbs, plus 400lbs for people, 200lbs for stuff and fuel = your MAX 1500 lb payload)

Ultimately based on my calculations - a typically configured half ton (crew cab, 4x4) is a vehicle that is legally rated to safely tow, in normal conditions, something around/nothing much over 5,000lbs.
So if you have 5 passengers totally 1000lbs in cab, you can't tow anything? I have never heard of this true adjusted max before, and I took my 8000lb TT to a government scale with my f150 and they helped me measure everything including tongue, axels, total, etc and we discussed number of passengers and cab capacity. They did not mention this adjustment on tow capacity.