Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-16-2013, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penner View Post
Quality and Dodge in the same sentence now that’s funny! Save now pay later.

No replacement for displacement. Turbo is too new of an enhancement for me on the domestics and still has a ways to go to be proven over the long term. Once proven, they likley will be the way of the future but like everything, the kinks need to be worked out.

Don’t overlook the new GM’s. They have the best fuel economy for V8’s hands down. If its a Ford your after stick with the V8's.

Just curious when you think its no longer "new" technology?? The EcoBoost's have been around since 2009. Starting in model year 2010 there's already 4 model years down. Who knows how long it had been in development. Given that Ford is using EcoBoost in pretty much all of its line up now, I wouldn't exactly call it new technology. Perhaps "newer" is a better term. lol

For the record if I was looking I'd go with the 5.0L. Just because for the price difference and my intended purpose. I don't plan on towing a whole heck of a lot so the advantages of the EcoBoost over the 5.0L wouldn't really affect me that much.

Had a 2012 Hemi....wouldn't touch one again. I'm sure its rare but the check engine light came on while I was driving it home and the darn thing sat WAY to low to the ground. My 01 F150 sat much higher for a stock truck. As far as ride, I could go down the same road in the Dodge and get rattled to death where as my Ford was much smoother. Add in the fact you could see through the bed of the truck where the seams were and the rearview mirror kept falling off, didn't install my faith in their quality... Good luck!
Old 12-16-2013, 12:23 PM

Default Had same question a few years ago....

Went with the 5.0 litre v8.... nuff said very happy!
Old 12-16-2013, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penner View Post
Quality and Dodge in the same sentence now that’s funny! Save now pay later.

No replacement for displacement. Turbo is too new of an enhancement for me on the domestics and still has a ways to go to be proven over the long term. Once proven, they likley will be the way of the future but like everything, the kinks need to be worked out.

Don’t overlook the new GM’s. They have the best fuel economy for V8’s hands down. If its a Ford your after stick with the V8's.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turbo-diesel

hahahahahahahaha

too damn funny. The turbocharging of engines, both gas and diesel, has basically been around nearly as long as the internal combustion engine itself. Do you drive a vehicle with an internal combustion engine? Isn't that newfangled technology still a bit too new and unproven for you?
Old 12-16-2013, 02:30 PM

Cool

I drive a '2012 F150 crew-cab, 5.0 litre as a company truck.

The only warranty issue was a seized idler pulley which stopped the truck dead in its tracks. Serp belt and pulley replaced same day at the local dealer.

No isses with the 5.0 litre engine itself.

I would probably skip the EcoBoost engine, get the 5.0, and spend the $3000 difference on extra options.

Have you looked at the new GM light trucks? They are sweet and are supposed to be thrifty on gasoline.

-Willy
Old 12-16-2013, 09:46 PM

I have a 2013 Eco and I've been kicking myself for not buying it earlier. I drove both the Eco and v8 before buying and the Eco hands down had more get up and go. Better acceleration with better fuel economy, how can you go wrong?
Old 12-16-2013, 10:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by grant View Post
I have a 2013 Eco and I've been kicking myself for not buying it earlier. I drove both the Eco and v8 before buying and the Eco hands down had more get up and go. Better acceleration with better fuel economy, how can you go wrong?
Wait 10 years.
Old 12-17-2013, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ali#1 View Post
Wait 10 years.

Who keeps a vehicle for 10 years anymore?
Old 12-17-2013, 03:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadiandiesel View Post
Eco boost is not a towing engine and as everyone that tows has regretted these things, don't go above 90kph and your economy won't go into the toilet
You have no clue....
The Ecoboost pulls amazing.
Mpg pulling is no different than V8s,it just pulls much easier.
Old 12-17-2013, 08:42 AM

the eco 3.5 is and has been a great alternative to making the average travel trailer owner forced to buy a diesel. the 5.0 v8 pulls just fine as well but the 3.5 is designed for fuel economy and big torque and it pairs up well with the 6 speed transmission.
the recalls these guys are talking about must be fairly minor because I sell them and I haven't heard of them.
now, as for the chest thumpers who sit behind a sheep head or a bowtie were you bragging when these companies were standing with hat in hand begging for money? chevy's answer seems to be "more lipstick!" and dodge will add un-usable gears just to get a fuel rating they can lure you into their dealerships with.
I own a 3.5 I pull a 7000 lb trailer and haul a quad and everything else that a hunting trip requires with NO problem!
fuel economy varies with road conditions but I average 14l per 100 empty and as high as 23l towing. most times when towing on good old alberta flat lands it sits at around 17.
Old 12-17-2013, 09:24 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faststeel View Post
Who keeps a vehicle for 10 years anymore?
My small block Chevy is 24 years old. Runs great. I said earlier if you are planning on less than 5 years get the Eco boost, more then the 5.0.
Old 12-17-2013, 10:22 AM

Wink

F150 is the best for fuel mileage to power ratio. pulls harder more weight with better fuel economy and really is as comfortable is any other truck. All the other manufacturers are really working hard to beat it still today in 2014 trucks lol. the current truck that everyone is comparing their brand new truck to is now three years old! What do you expect? I would hope that a 2014 truck is better at everything than a truck three years old but they arent! LOL Wait till nissan comes out with the 5.0 cummins and puts every other truck to shame with the 550ft/lbs of torque that will be somthin. Buy the ECOBOOST!!!! Amazing motor forsure with tons of power to walk away from everything out right now. lol just go drive one
Old 12-17-2013, 10:24 AM

Get the 5.0L v8 I have had one for two years, absolutely no problems, 24 mpg highway, 18 mpg in town idling a lot. Plus I pull a skid steer in a dump trailer a fair amount, also no problem. Gotta love those new 6 speed auto.!
Old 12-17-2013, 10:42 AM

Default Ford 150 V6 Ecobosst or 5.01 V8

I just bought a 2013 F150 crew cab with the 5 liter V8 Flex fuel lots of power & getting 18.1 l per 100k
Old 12-17-2013, 12:04 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by tchammer View Post
Get the 5.0L v8 I have had one for two years, absolutely no problems, 24 mpg highway, 18 mpg in town idling a lot. Plus I pull a skid steer in a dump trailer a fair amount, also no problem. Gotta love those new 6 speed auto.!
Imagine how good economy would be with the same 8sp dodge uses to sneak out some better numbers because they have exhausted all other options in their hemi. 36 MPG from a fullsize truck is B.S!!! i cant beleive they get away with making such a outrageous statement. thats better than most small cars and suvs with smaller motors. They must be thankful for the gullable people who fall for that crap. lmao the 3.0 sucks too and fiat has many reliability and quality issues aswell. I would buy a new gmc over the dodge hemi,3.6 or 3.0 diesel without a second thought.
Old 12-18-2013, 10:14 AM

I've been researching trucks for a few months, as I need to upgrade to a full 4-door (got an access cab Tundra right now) for a baby seat.

Read a lot of forums about the Ecoboost vs 5.0L and it all seems to boil down to taking a risk on the ecoboost engine.

It has better fuel economy. It has higher HP and torque. It can tow more.

It's just not as reliable. There are a lot of reports of condensation in the intercooler that are scaring me away from them.

I've heard that they have tweaked the 2013 to attempt to fix the issue. Not sure if it has worked or not. I'm waiting on the release of the 2014 to see if they further tweaked it.

If I were buying one today, I'd go with the 5.0L, as the only thing I tow is a 2,000 lb boat (and only a few times a year) and I am planning on owning the truck for a long time (10+ years). I don't have faith in the reliability of the twin turbos of the Ecoboost to last that long without needing costly repairs.

That being said, I haven't driven either one yet, so my opinion might change. I hear the Ecoboost is a ton of fun to drive. All that power available so low in the power band might convince me
Old 12-19-2013, 12:33 AM
Banned

Wait until next fall when the 2015's are out with next generation eco boost engines are available.

If you can't wait I have the 5.0L in my 2011 and have had no complaints at 30,000 km...
Old 12-19-2013, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokanee83 View Post
Save your money buy a HEMI. Unless you like recall notices and poor quality. Buddy of mine bought a brand new Eco boost 80 km from the dealership the drive shaft fell off he's had nothing but problems with with his Eco boost. Plus all the recalls on the motors can't be good
We have a Hemi and a F150 eco boost. The gas mileage is exactly 10 mpg less with the Hemi and have had no problems to speak of with either truck. The Ford has 48,000k and the Dodge 250,000. The ford also has more power but the Dodge I would call bullet proof as far as standing up to work.
Old 12-19-2013, 09:48 AM

[QUOTE=el sparko;2242888]"now, as for the chest thumpers who sit behind a sheep head or a bowtie were you bragging when these companies were standing with hat in hand begging for money? "

Although Ford did not need money from the $80 billion bailout program, Ford did receive $5.9 billion in government loans in 2009 to retool its manufacturing plants to produce more fuel-efficient cars, and the company lobbied for and benefited from the cash-for-clunkers program — contrary to the ad’s testimonial that Ford is “standing on their own.”

Get off your horse, the eco boost is over rated , I driven one for over a year the fuel economy is about the same as everything else in an average way.
Old 12-19-2013, 03:51 PM

As far as reliability, my 2011 ram 1500 hemi crew cab with tow package has been into the dealer 10 times in 12months,and this is no lie! Last visit was a water-pump which dodge had to order from silver automotive because they had none of there own supply and no eta when they would be available. The second item was a fuelpump assembly and module because the fuel gauge reads pretty much when it wants to. The third item was a transmission rebuild due to a leak from a cracked transmission case,and finally a shift interlock solenoid. Now when it's cold, -15ish and colder the transmission doesn't want to shift out of third gear, dodge claims it's normal. All This work was performed at the last visit! I finally lost my cool waiting 71 days for dodge to replace my water pump under warranty, and then use an aftermarket pump! This vehicle has 44000kms on it now, has been visiting the dealer since 18000kms. Driven extremely light as it's our primary baby hauler, but this truck is definitely the cause of my hair loss!
Chrysler canada had asked me to do a customer satisfaction survey, I told them the only satisfaction I'll get is handing in my keys for a ford or gm!
Sorry for the rant, but if an automaker builds a vehicle, it better last longer than 40000kms performing extremely light duty, and don't offer warranty if you don't have the parts to fix it! The main reason I'm considering a ford 5.0l f150!
Old 12-19-2013, 05:25 PM

I have a 2012 Eco Boost. So i feel i could add my 2 cents. I have had 0 issues with the truck (35K km). I do have an issue with how uneducated people say things such as recalls. As a owner would i not get a notice of recall. Apparently non ford owners know of these important recalls for my truck. The internet will always be a place that a person will go looking for info and help when having an issue. Search any truck on google and they all will come up with some issues.Not many people go onto the internet when they have zero issues just to post that they are happy.They have sold a ton of these trucks and only a small number have issues. Most mass produced products have issues in a small number. Also just remember that because some guy post information that in most cases is just his uninformed opinion that doesn't make it a true fact.
Old 12-19-2013, 06:12 PM

I just found a 2013 F150 XTR Eco-boost at a dealer for $30,000. I am going to take I for a weekend or few days, and if it gets 12L/100km (winter) I am going to write them a cheque, AFTER I see the warranty work done on it.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 12-19-2013, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
I just found a 2013 F150 XTR Eco-boost at a dealer for $30,000. I am going to take I for a weekend or few days, and if it gets 12L/100km (winter) I am going to write them a cheque, AFTER I see the warranty work done on it.
Ken I will guarantee that it won't if you can't keep your foot out of it. It will do that @ 100km/hr. It won't do that any faster and I would be doubtful that it will at 100km/hr.

Put your foot in it and it will fly, and suck the fuel. I have said it before and will again, you can have eco or you can have boost. Can't have them both at the same time.
Sit back
Pour yourself a tea

Watch us "sportsmen" attack each other and destroy ourselves from within.

From road hunters vs "real hunters" to bowhunters vs rifle hunters, long bows and recurves vs compound user to bow vs crossbow to white hunters vs Native hunters etc etc etc

Enjoy the easy ride, anti hunters. Strange to me why we seem to be doing your job for you.

Excuse me while I go puke.
Old 12-20-2013, 12:22 AM

I would have a look at the new Ram Ecodiesel.
Old 12-20-2013, 04:59 AM

IMO,
I'm a chevy guy, but have nothing against ford. The only issue I would ever have with the eco boost would be long term longevity. The smaller displacement engine making all that power (if used throughout its life) is not going to last as long as a larger naturally aspirated engine. (Law of physics).
Ford even makes this claim.
Old 12-20-2013, 05:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
If you calculate your mileage the way you have in the past with your diesels, you will be certain to get atleast or better than 12L/100 km.
Old 12-20-2013, 05:41 AM

Default Eco or 5.0

If you do a search you will find there is a pending lawsuit against Ford and their 3.5L ecoboost motor that is in the F-150

http://www.arfc.org/complaints/2012/...e/problem.aspx

http://www.truckinginfo.com/channel/...t-engines.aspx

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/...ecall/2161123/

http://www.tundraheadquarters.com/bl...oss-limp-mode/

The present 3.5L ecoboost in the 2013 models have had various changes done to them since when they first came out in 2009, and I've read no complaints on the 2013 motors.

I chose to go with a 2012 F-150 FX4 with the 5.0L coyote motor. I have found that in comparision to some of my co-workers who drive the ecoboost, I get equal or better gas mileage. As for towing I really cannot comment on that too much because I only tow a small 1000lb trailer, with a 700lb poo poo (polaris). Thus 1700 - 2300 lbs in total, when I consider equipment. My coyote has no difficulty in providing the power I need on demand and I have used it when going for trips through the BC mountains.

If you're going to purchase a Ford F150 you will get a better deal by waiting til Spring or the beginning of summer when the have both their family pricing and competative reduction. I was able to purchase a 52K F150 for 38K

I'm very happy with this truck compare to my previous pickups. Hope this helps some in making your choice.

Last edited by 30Cal; 12-20-2013 at 05:58 AM.
Old 12-20-2013, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywolf View Post
IMO,
I'm a chevy guy, but have nothing against ford. The only issue I would ever have with the eco boost would be long term longevity. The smaller displacement engine making all that power (if used throughout its life) is not going to last as long as a larger naturally aspirated engine. (Law of physics).
Ford even makes this claim.
There is no law of physics that says a smaller engine with more power can't last like a larger displacment engine. It is all about how it's built. Diesels are turbocharged and have compression ratios of 17:1+, but they last a very long time because they are built so heavy. A heavily/well built engine could last a long time even if putting out a lot of power for its size.

Whether the ecoboost is built for the long term, well it's still up for debate.
Old 12-20-2013, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywolf View Post
If you calculate your mileage the way you have in the past with your diesels, you will be certain to get atleast or better than 12L/100 km.
By filling to the cap, driving a long distance, filling to the cap and doing the math? By driving the speed limit only, no jack-rabbit starts, and coasting to stop signs and red lights?

xkm x .6 (m)
xL / 4.54 (f)

m/f=mpg

I know that does not include idling and in town driving, but I am only interested in highway mileage as that is the majority of my driving.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....

Last edited by Ken07AOVette; 12-20-2013 at 08:18 AM.
Old 12-20-2013, 08:48 AM

Mpg depends on too many things....
As others have said if you granny it the EB will do good....not excellent.
Gee that sounds like every other truck out there
What it has is a balance between big power and good mpg.
Besides a few small things it's a 2011 model engine in half tons that still performs as good or better than 2014 newly designed trucks from GM and Dodge.
Ford sells more V6 trucks than V8s.
2 1/2 years....80k
Biggest problem was an exhaust manifold leak.
I keep vehicles till 150k so long term has never been in the equation for me.
Incredible towing,fun motor with good mpg.
Unless something blows up before 150k I'll be buying another twin turbo....and leave the V8 rumble to other people who think its cool!
Old 12-20-2013, 08:51 AM

And 12L/100k on winter gas may be stretching it.....with the higher gears and at 100kms maybe.